Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: 2015 #Redskins at Jets Final

JimmiJo

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: 2015 Redskins at Jets

10/18/15

12074851_10207235442758329_2332479117188

Greetings my friends from a very chilly New York! My name is JimmiJo and I am joined by the brokened-armed TK. I think at this point he has had 17-surgeries on his elbow trying to get it healed (I think that number is correct, or I made it up).

Speaking of injuries; the Redskins have so many they are out of inactive spots and Robert Griffin will have to dress, according to ESPN980. Kevin Sheehan, whom I admire very much, suggested the team should have put in some packages for Griffin.

Upon hearing that I said to my car radio that Mr. Sheehan should punch himself in the groin for even suggesting such a thing.

With love...

I predicted a Washington victory on Skinscast this week. But that was prior to every offensive weapon being ruled out for today's game in the persons of DeSean Jackson, Jordan Reed, and Matt Jones. Worse, Trent Williams and Kory Lichtensteiger are down. 

With these it is hard to see a Redskins' win. But one thing I have noticed this year is the emergence of young players and backups. Let's hope that happens today in a big way. Washington needs production out of their backups to have a shot.

Keys to victory? Control time-of-possession with an effective rushing attack. Pressure their quarterback and get some turnovers. And oh yea, score points.

The Redskins declared the following players as inactive:

o   No. 11 WR DeSean Jackson

o   No. 23 CB DeAngelo Hall

o   No. 29 CB Chris Culliver

o   No. 31 RB Matt Jones

o   No. 71 T Trent Williams

o   No. 78 C Kory Lichtensteiger

o   No. 86 TE Jordan Reed

No. 14 Ryan Grant is expected to start in place of Jackson at wide receiver.

No. 26 Bashaud Breeland is expected to start in place of Hall at cornerback.

No. 41 Will Blackmon is expected to start in place of Culliver at cornerback.

No. 67 Josh LeRibeus is expected to start in place of Lichtensteiger at center.

No. 79 Ty Neskhe is expected to start in place of Williams at left tackle.

No. 89 Derek Carrier is expected to start in place of Reed at tight end.

Speak among yourselves...

Ok, we are set to start. Kickoff in 5 minutes and the stadium is less than one-half full (for a winning team).

Follow us in-game on Twitter @Skinscast.

Ta!

Half

Scrappy back-and-forth affair so far. Redskins did well to take initial lead, then stalled offensively and gave up a few drives defensively. Bashaud Breeland decided to step up, being responsible for three turnovers.

Washington leads 13-10 but New York start the second half with the ball.

JimmiJo

Six games in and some things we now know about this team.

1. No half-time adjustments. 

Because of this, they tend to have horrible third quarters. Head coach Jay Gruden bemoaned another pathetic outing in the third quarter, one that so quickly unfolded against Washington that the Redskins never really had a chance after. 

Throughout the early part of the year we have seen spirited first-half efforts by Washington turn flat and coast them. It is now a theme, and no doubt opponents cannot wait to get to half time because of the goodness that will occur after.

2. Kirk Cousins is who we thought he is

Enough with the talk of off-season development, young-quarterback, growing pains, and the like. This quarterback makes poor decisions with the ball that costs the team chances to win. The interception by Revis is case-in-point. The game was effectively over at that point.

I don't really care about his ability to bounce-back. Picks like that one was devastating. After going through his first two reads, Cousins threw late and under to the sideline. It was so poorly thrown the only guy catching it was Revis.

Beyond the turnovers were the late throws behind receivers. Not only does that cost receptions, it takes away any chance of YAC.

Today was the day I turned on Cousins. For me, Cousins will always be that guy who shows flashes but will let you down when you need him more often than not.

3. This team cannot win without a run game

Not sure what else to expect with two linemen and your best back out injured. But even before this the team's rushing attack was sputtering. Too often the back is hit in the backfield, or doesn't hit the hole in time.

I tweeted last week and am now convinced the reason Alfred Morris is not getting more snaps is his lack of burst. He just doesn't hit the hole quick enough. Not that the line is helping, but you can see why they have been favoring Matt Jones.

Chris Thompson is a good change-up back, but unless we are looking to run a Shady McCoy type deal, he is not our guy.

4. The defense needs pressure to win

This team created three turnovers today but by the second half were being pushed around, run on, and giving up big plays. It starts up front and their production pressuring the quarterback was not there today.

I cringed when the defense gave themselves a nickname this preseason. I have a new nickname for them. One I don't think they would like if they heard it.

In other news I have been a reporter long enough to know to pay attention when the canned answer changes. It almost always means something. This happened today when Gruden was asked following the game about his support of Cousins. 

Instead of his standard; "He did some good things/He is a young quarterback" answer, Gruden said he needs to look at the film before he makes any "crazy decisions." Gruden seemed to have a look in his eye when he said it that suggested his patience is getting short. He was very critical of Cousins' decision to throw the ball in that situation.

Gruden did go on to say it is his "intent" to have Cousins start all year. So this doesn't mean a benching is imminent. But like I said, the answer changed and that almost always means something.

This team is now 2-4 with a season all but dead. Gruden said it has been "made known" the Tampa game is code red. It is critical they win next week to have any shot of a season. Some would say it's too late now.

What do I say? I say I have a long drive home so I better get going. Talk at you next week...

22108102009_885786dcee_o_zpsfbzaayss.jpg

For more ES Photos

So this roster is essentially like the second quarter of the first pre-season game.

What could possibly go wrong?

Btw, if I was seriously ballsy, and could get everybody to buy into it, I might throw Griffin out there to run the R/O about 5 times today just to mess with the Jets heads. Even if he never did anything but hand the ball off, I bet you could pop a run just because nobody would ever expect it.

(Ducks for cover)

So this roster is essentially like the second quarter of the first pre-season game.

What could possibly go wrong?

Btw, if I was seriously ballsy, and could get everybody to buy into it, I might throw Griffin out there to run the R/O about 5 times today just to mess with the Jets heads. Even if he never did anything but hand the ball off, I bet you could pop a run just because nobody would ever expect it.

28682-Hell-no-gif-CD0Y.jpg

While we did have a halftime lead in all the games (except the Giants)

the leads were much larger in the wins:

Rams 17-0, Eagles 13-0

than the losses

Dolphins 10-7, Falcons 7-3

The other team always won the 2nd half:

Dolphins 10-0, Rams 10-7, Giants 17-15, Eagles 20-10, Falcons 22-12.

The key is to get a large 1st half lead, so when we implode in the 2nd half, we still have the lead.

0-2 on the road.  2-1 at home.

I expect to see a ton of bootlegs and runs to the right. Unfortunately, so will the Jets I'm sure. So maybe we shouldn't, lol.

As long as we can stop Ivory from going off I think we can actually hang with them, even with all the injuries. I'm very interested in seeing Nsekhe. Guy just looks the part.

We'll see how exotic the Jets get with their blitzes, as that's the potential major fail for me since Korey is so good at identifying things. Hopefully Kirk gets it right even when Ribs doesn't.

Well ****... if we're within a TD at the end of this one we need to go ahead and extend Jay immediately after the game

No one expects this team to win the SB this year. We all agreed that 7 wins this year would be progress. I like the direction we're taking, and I have faith for once in the direction of the franchise. That being said, we keep this within 7, it would be a miracle, and would give me more hope for the future.

Also, should we just IR Jackson? I mean, is this dude EVER gonna play again? 

Since Robert is dressing it wouldn't have been a terrible idea to put a few plays in for him, maybe some wildcat or read option stuff, I know your playing with fire when it comes to injury but anything we can do to keep the Jets D off balance could be helpful.

Archived