Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Gun Control Debate Thread

Dont Taze Me Bro

7 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

For real!

Gun cultists and wannabe revolutionaries are fine as long as Pelosi keeps ranting about guns which she has little actual working knowledge about, however when a young white articulate and motivated young man starts leading a movement that’s when they feel the pinch. 

The cultists managed to squelch Sandy Hook but this kid has been the face of the #EnoughIsEnough movement which is making headway when other groups failed.

I was talking with my friend who is “prepared”, and he’s pissed at the irony that they are facing more gun laws under Trump than they faced under Obama.

The #EnoughisEnough movement is more of threat then Congress because they're getting more done.  They'll campaign against Pelosi, this guy is getting death threats.

You're comment on your friend doesn't surprise me, and I've heard it enough to that I know and agree there's plenty of people that feel that way.  As I've said before, one of the biggest problems with the gun control debate is though we may all agree on certain measures, the term "Gun Control" is too damn vague and getting used against itself to help drag this out.  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

David Hogg needs to watch his back, for real for real.  He's making more enemies then friends right now, even if his heart is in the right place.

Is there a worry that he's firing up the right - and some in the middle- and come election time, the rhetoric could backfire? 

15 minutes ago, grego said:

Is there a worry that he's firing up the right - and some in the middle- and come election time, the rhetoric could backfire? 

Given how the private sector is starting to react to this, like Walmart and BoA, I'd say its worth it.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

The #EnoughisEnough movement is more of threat then Congress because they're getting more done.  They'll campaign against Pelosi, this guy is getting death threats.

You're comment on your friend doesn't surprise me, and I've heard it enough to that I know and agree there's plenty of people that feel that way.  As I've said before, one of the biggest problems with the gun control debate is though we may all agree on certain measures, the term "Gun Control" is too damn vague and getting used against itself to help drag this out.  

Ren, know this reply has nothing against what you had to say, but more to those who might believe things the way you said them.

I think the term "gun control" only frightens those who are predisposed and preconditioned to reject anything that isn't directly in line with their own thinking. Changing it won't matter. Until you say "everyone should get to buy as many guns as they want with as little restriction as is humanly possible", they will always react the same way.

"Gun Control".

What else to call it? That's what it is. 

Maybe we could help the SNOWFLAKES and call it "gun considerations".

We let the extremes dictate almost every discussion anymore. Instantly, any opposing idea immediately signals The Worst Thing That Anyone Can Possibly Imagine, and it is not only possible, but it is downright inevitable, and in fact will begin five minutes after you even SAY those words.

It is literally trying to deal with people on a toddler's level, and it is increasingly the ONLY way to deal with anyone these days. 

The most pathetic thing? These people claim that "personal responsibility" is required to be a good gun owner, and they haven't even got enough personal responsibility to even try to comprehend the actual meaning of two very simple words without running off into terrified hysterics.

Only a coward acts that way..   or a 3 year old. And you CAN reason with a 3 year old.

~Bang

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Looks like Joe Rogan found the one black NRA member and had him on his show.  

For the record, haven't listened to it.  Don't know if I will, I'm tired of the debate.  But I figured I'd post it here cause you guys aren't.

Here’s the case that I’ve heard for black members of the NRA, “firearms are the equalizer for a minority population.” 

May not be what the guy on Rogan said (can’t listen right now), but this is definitely an idea floating around now.

Sorry @Bang! I had to laugh!

The thought that you can reason with a three year old is purely hysterical!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Looks like Joe Rogan found the one black NRA member and had him on his show.  

For the record, haven't listened to it.  Don't know if I will, I'm tired of the debate.  But I figured I'd post it here cause you guys aren't

Going to pass. That dude literally works for the NRA.

1 hour ago, Bang said:

Ren, know this reply has nothing against what you had to say, but more to those who might believe things the way you said them.

Only a coward acts that way..   or a 3 year old. And you CAN reason with a 3 year old.

~Bang

Sure you can negotiate with a 3 year old, but you don't have to : )

Dems get control again they need to just pass the stuff both sides agree on even if the NRA doesn't like it and tries to tell the GOP to stop them.  Universally accepted common sense legislation shouldn't need to wait for both sides of congress to agree on if one has power, don't make the mistake Obama did of trying to reason when them on an issue they refuse to be reasonable on.

If they go beyond what everyone agrees on, I expect blow back, so start small, this is a loaded conversation they we need to get on the same page about to go any further then that on.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Bang said:

I think the term "gun control" only frightens those who are predisposed and preconditioned to reject anything that isn't directly in line with their own thinking. Changing it won't matter. Until you say "everyone should get to buy as many guns as they want with as little restriction as is humanly possible", they will always react the same way.

"Gun Control".

What else to call it? That's what it is. 

Maybe we could help the SNOWFLAKES and call it "gun considerations".

We let the extremes dictate almost every discussion anymore. Instantly, any opposing idea immediately signals The Worst Thing That Anyone Can Possibly Imagine, and it is not only possible, but it is downright inevitable, and in fact will begin five minutes after you even SAY those words.

It is literally trying to deal with people on a toddler's level, and it is increasingly the ONLY way to deal with anyone these days. 

The most pathetic thing? These people claim that "personal responsibility" is required to be a good gun owner, and they haven't even got enough personal responsibility to even try to comprehend the actual meaning of two very simple words without running off into terrified hysterics.

~Bang

~Bang

It's only going to get worse.  With communities/towns/etc. like Deerfield, IL approving ordinances that ban semi-automatic rifles, etc. and will fine owners up to $1000 per day if they don't turn them in or have them fully dismantled, etc., this is going to make the extremists even more outraged and unwilling to listen/compromise.  Being born and raised in NC, specifically in the mountains/foothills, I have friends and family that are like that.  

Not all are extremists, but some are and they have been posting/talking about any ban or additional gun control laws is where it all starts.  Then the government is going to take away all their guns, etc. etc. etc.  Now, of course I don't think that will happen, not nationwide or even a vast majority of cities/towns/states.  But that is what they preach about.

Then Deerfield, IL happens and it just convinces them even more that their 2nd amendment rights are going to be taken away, etc. etc. etc.  It is now their "I told you so" defense.  

With all that said, I'd be fine with the federal ban (being tweaked of course) like the one from 1994-2004 being implemented again.  Along with additional measures in place to prevent/decrease mass shootings and keep semi-automatics out of the hands of people that should not have them.  The one thing I absolutely do not agree with is any ban/ordinance/law/etc. that makes it illegal to own any gun that would be banned if purchased legally prior to the ban/ordinance/law taking place. 

The previous federal ban did not, it allowed anyone that already owned one to hunt, target shoot, home defense, etc. and just banned the future manufacturing, sale, re-sale (think this was part of it) of the guns on the list.  It's not a coincidence either that we have seen a dramatic spike in mass shootings since it was not renewed in 2004.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, visionary said:

I actually agree with a national concealed carry permit.  But I also think that every state should have universal gun laws/restrictions.  Each state having it's own set of laws/rules is stupid to me, especially in this day and age with all the technology we have to implement and enforce one set of laws/rules/regulations/etc. across the board.

With that said, because the laws vary by state, I completely understand the concern from law enforcement at the state level with nationall concealed carry.  Can't put the cart before the horse.  Should have implemented the same laws across all states first, then add universal CC.

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro
  • Like 1

8-year-old arrested after bringing loaded semi-automatic gun to St. Mary’s Co. school

WASHINGTON — An 8-year-old was arrested Wednesday after he allegedly brought a handgun to school in St. Mary’s County, Maryland.

The Park Hall Elementary student had apparently found it in his residence, which is located in an off-base military housing community. Another student alerted a Park Hall staffer to the weapon, St. Mary’s sheriff’s officials said in a statement. A school official then found the loaded semi-automatic in the student’s book bag.

The student was charged as a juvenile with having a handgun, having a dangerous weapon on school property and disturbing school operations.

Click on the link for the full article

4 minutes ago, China said:

8-year-old arrested after bringing loaded semi-automatic gun to St. Mary’s Co. school

WASHINGTON — An 8-year-old was arrested Wednesday after he allegedly brought a handgun to school in St. Mary’s County, Maryland.

The Park Hall Elementary student had apparently found it in his residence, which is located in an off-base military housing community. Another student alerted a Park Hall staffer to the weapon, St. Mary’s sheriff’s officials said in a statement. A school official then found the loaded semi-automatic in the student’s book bag.

The student was charged as a juvenile with having a handgun, having a dangerous weapon on school property and disturbing school operations.

Click on the link for the full article

And the parent was charged with . . . ?

• Like 2

I would say "Gun Regulation" is a better way to view it since "well-regulated" is in the actual 2nd amendment to begin with, but with that crowd "regulation" is probably an even worse term than "control"

The interesting thing about this entire discussion is that for the most part most lawmakers on either side are not in favor of getting rid of guns overall, or at least not pushing legislation for it.  Instead, they are for making it harder to obtain a gun through more rigorous background checking and other things, however once a person has able to legally require a firearm they are still good to go.

40 minutes ago, visionary said:

Not 100% sure that I agree with the tiny amount of info that's listed, about that ruling.  

(The takeaway I get is that a court has ruled that, if I sell a gun to twa, via a web site, then the web site can be held liable for what twa does with the gun.)  

My opinion is that, when a communications media allows two people to communicate, the media isn't responsible for what the two people communicate about.  (Or at least, that the burden of proving third party liability needs to be high.)  

Now, granted, I think this web site was specifically set up to facilitate gun sales.  Maybe a case can be made that the site is kinda a dealer.  

I know I created this thread for gun control debates, but a quick question for fellow gun owners.  Any of you come across a clip that won't hold the specified amount of bullets it is supposed to hold?  I have a 25 round clip and just tried loading it and could only fit 23 rounds in it.  It is brand new but no matter how hard I pushed down on the spring it would not fit anymore rounds.  

And I'm 100% positive that I did not miscount the rounds I was able to load, I load them in groups of 5 at a time.  

17 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Can't help with large numbers of rounds, mine only held 5 rounds. But I seem to remember that the last one was hard to fit in.

Maybe they are supposed to be staggered?

Yep and they are staggered all the way to the top.  I’m not gonna lose sleep over it, just my ADD perfectionist kicking in, which makes me annoyed :ols:

• Haha 1