Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Gun Control Debate Thread

Dont Taze Me Bro

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

This isn’t about you.  Try formulating a coherent position that doesn’t involve using “I” eight times in a single paragraph.

Great point.  Thanks.

I a person would be pissed if, for example, I a person were accused of spousal abuse.  The taking of my their guns seems like a prudent step.  But then after the case plays out which I a person would be sure could take a while, it is found out the spouse made it all up.  Had those guns been destroyed I a person would be out a lot of money.  I a person would say if they are confiscated, they should have to be stored for a certain amount of time for me a person to make the case to get them back (I a person would say 5 years is reasonable).  OR I a person would be fine with them being given to a family member or something but that family member should have to sign something that they understand they would be held legally responsible for what I a person did with that gun if it were given back to me a person.

Better?

Edited by TheGreatBuzz
spelling
  • Haha 3

My state has a law against giving/selling guns to someone who is knowingly not allowed to have them.

South Carolina does too

South Carolina law prohibits knowingly selling, offering to sell, delivering, leasing, renting, bartering, exchanging, or transporting for sale into the state any handgun to a person prohibited from possessing handguns under South Carolina law.1

AH LET ME OUT OF THIS QUOTE!!

there we go.

http://lawcenter.giffords.org/private-sales-in-south-carolina/

I'm assuming the legal system did the proper things when it confiscated the guns and turned it over, so he'd be on the appropriate list ( http://lawcenter.giffords.org/prohibited-purchasers-generally-in-south-carolina/ )

but it's just an assumption.

I don't know how you constitutionally enforce that. Do you turn over the guns with the agreement you can show up and inspect they still have them? 

Destroying them probably is the best bet. We can debate the appropriate time period to wait, but at the end of the day turning them over to someone can result in them having them destroyed or sold off and if there was a legal error the guns would still be gone/lost to the original person.

The dad needs to go to jail for a long time. Not sure what SC's law is on that.

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

This isn’t about you.  Try formulating a coherent position that doesn’t involve using “I” eight times in a single paragraph.

generic laws are about him 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Great point.  Thanks.

I a person would be pissed if, for example, I a person were accused of spousal abuse.  The taking of my their guns seems like a prudent step.  But then after the case plays out which I a person would be sure could take a while, it is found out the spouse made it all up.  Had those guns been destroyed I a person would be out a lot of money.  I a person would say if they are confiscated, they should have to be stored for a certain amount of time for me a person to make the case to get them back (I a person would say 5 years is reasonable).  OR I a person would be fine with them being given to a family member or something but that family member should have to sign something that they understand they would be held legally responsible for what I a person did with that gun if it were given back to me a person.

Better?

We’ve made progress today.  And that makes me proud.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/04/24/us/yeti-coolers-nra-explode-trnd/index.html 

anybody following this wacky story? Yeti cancels a branding/giveaway program with organizations like the NRA. The NRA blasts them and now rednecks er, 2A enthusiasts are blowing up their already purchased, expensive Yeti products. That’ll show em! 

Edited by TheDoyler23
  • Haha 2

Guns will be barred during Vice President Mike Pence’s appearance at an upcoming National Rifle Association convention to protect his safety — prompting survivors of the Parkland school shooting in Florida to wonder why the gun group won’t agree to gun restrictions elsewhere to protect children.

Those attending the NRA Leadership Conference in Dallas are on notice that no firearms or “weapons of any kind,” or ammunition, will be allowed in the Kay Bailey Hutchinson Convention Center “prior to and during” Pence’s appearance on May 4. The NRA posted the restrictions ― a requirement of the Secret Service ― on a website announcing the conference.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nra-convention-bans-guns-protect-012331621.html

Every year they restrict guns from the NRA meeting and every year people holler "hypocrisy" and every year it is because insurance concerns for the venue won't allow for it.

But, a good example of their hypocrisy is how much the pro-life crowd will represent themselves in a conference aimed towards a culture of death and fear.

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 1

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/democrats-race-to-prove-who-hates-guns-more-in-northern-virginia-house-primary/2018/05/01/d3ad87a0-4cbb-11e8-b725-92c89fe3ca4c_story.html

Democrat buys semiautomatic rifle at Va. gun show in under 10 minutes

By Jenna Portnoy

May 1, 2018 at 3:52 PM

A Democrat running for the nomination to challenge Rep. Barbara Comstock (R-Va.) strolled into a gun show in Chantilly last month and purchased a semiautomatic rifle in about 10 minutes without a background check, according to an undercover video produced by his campaign.

Dan Helmer, an Army veteran, said he bought a firearm similar to the one he carried in Iraq and Afghanistan to show how easy it is to legally obtain an “in­cred­ibly dangerous piece of weaponry that’s meant for war” from a private seller. He bought the gun less than two miles from a public school, he said.

While background checks are required for purchases at gun shows from federally licensed dealers, Helmer wants to close the “gun show loophole” that allows anyone to buy a weapon from an unlicensed seller without scrutiny.

The video is the latest volley in the six-way Democratic primary, in which each candidate is calling for tougher gun laws.

Edited by The Evil Genius

7 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I'm a gun owner and supporter of the 2nd amendment, but am also fine with stricter background checks, longer waiting periods, increase in age to purchase, mental health background checks, bans on bump stocks, magazine size restrictions, requiring registration for all fire arms and requiring purchase permits for all firearms (not just hand guns).

With that said though, unless one has never purchased a rifle/shotgun before, this shouldn't be shocking news.  Most places run a federal and state background check, so it takes as long as it takes to fill out a page of paperwork, sign, run your license through the databases and then get checked out at the register.  

I get the "should it be that easy and fast though" question.  The problem is, that answer is going to be yes when basing it off the current regulations (depending on each state), because it is set-up in a way where the only background checks they are doing, only take up to 10 mins.  I actually think the process at a minimum should be the same across the board for all firearm purchases, with the minimum being the requirements to purchase a handgun.

In NC, you have to apply for a purchase permit.  The process includes completing an online form (can be done at home or at the Sheriff's Dept.) and paying a one time processing fee.  You then have to print out and sign a mental health release form, which is signing off on the release of any court orders concerning mental health and capacity, not your actual medical records or protected health information from a doctors office ( or psychologist, etc.).  That form has to be notarized at the sheriff's department by their notary (or you can notarize it prior to - but still have to turn it in in person).  Then they start the background check process which is up to 14 days.  Permit is good for only one gun and you have up to five years to purchase one handgun with each permit.  

Personally, I think this should apply (at minimum) across the board for all firearm purchases.  Now as far as stricter background checks, not sure outside of mental health what more they could do.  Maybe require signing off to release your student file?  So they could see if there was any pattern of severe behavior, violence, etc.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I think the point being made though was the gun show loophole is kind of scary. 

The gun show loophole is scary because most states don't require background checks for rifle/shotgun sales.  But, at any gun dealer, they do and it only takes like 15 mins total to fill out their paperwork, get the check performed, pay and leave the store.  

They do need to fix the loophole though, most definitely.  But I've seen other videos/articles where people were focusing on the amount of time it took to purchase and 10 mins, 15 mins, hell 20 mins isn't shocking to me at all, which most focused on the total time to walk in and purchase, but those were from actual gun shops, not private sellers.  

29 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Apparently there was some gun right walk out at schools today?

I saw something about it on the news this morning.  Here is what a quick google search found.  Obviously not getting the same coverage as the gun control walkouts.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://kdvr.com/2018/05/01/students-plan-new-walkout-in-support-of-gun-rights/amp/&ved=2ahUKEwiC8dTSiOraAhUP0lMKHVqJCXgQFjAGegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw0yedN4PeHw7RASFuFtJouH&ampcf=1