Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Gun Control Debate Thread

Dont Taze Me Bro

42 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I saw something about it on the news this morning.  Here is what a quick google search found.  Obviously not getting the same coverage as the gun control walkouts.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://kdvr.com/2018/05/01/students-plan-new-walkout-in-support-of-gun-rights/amp/&ved=2ahUKEwiC8dTSiOraAhUP0lMKHVqJCXgQFjAGegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw0yedN4PeHw7RASFuFtJouH&ampcf=1

What is the significance of a 16 min break?  The anti-gun walk-outs were 17 mins, one for each student that died, which makes sense.  

1 hour ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

What is the significance of a 16 min break?  The anti-gun walk-outs were 17 mins, one for each student that died, which makes sense.  

Not sure.  I havent looked too much into these protest.  My opinion on this is the same as it was with the gun control kids, their ass's should be in school.

• Like 1

I went to a gun show today in Norfolk.  I was actually let down as it was pretty small.  I went looking for one item that is not uncommon and couldn't find one.  Anyways, I only saw 1 gun for sale as private party and it was an early 1900's double barrel shotgun.  By the entrance/exit, there was a place that did background checks for private party.  I asked them how busy they had been.  They said not very.  They had only seen 3 people come in with guns for private sale and they had done 2 background checks.  The 3rd guy was the one walking around that I saw.  Now yes this was a very small show but I have posted a few times about having this same experience at bigger shows where the majority of private sales still got a background check.

Now the fact that most people are doing it probably makes you think it should be law anyways and it won't be a problem.  And that is probably correct.  Main reason I bring it up is because the "gun show loophole" in my opinion is more of a political talking point than it is an issue.  It is the Left's War on Christmas.  Something made out to be a much bigger issue than it actually is.  And that pisses me off.   

43 minutes ago, tshile said:

Right.  But no one wants to take our guns, right?  

I've said it before but I think the nation as a whole, needs to come to an agreement as to the purpose of the 2nd and it's usefulness.  I honestly think where we are at now is a decent balance, though it could still use some improvement.  There are some that are hard Right that think it is bull**** they can't have heat seeking missiles.  There is also those on the hard Left that think the 2nd should be repealed and all guns confiscated.  But the vast middle needs to come to an understanding.  

• Like 3

As far as the gun show loophole, it's not a law, and if buyer and seller agree that they won't avail themselves of the background check offered, then there is no background check. 

I see the background checks offered at most of the gun shows that I have checked out in Virginia. And that's great. It needs to be a law that background checks for private sales required.

19 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

As far as the gun show loophole, it's not a law, and if buyer and seller agree that they won't avail themselves of the background check offered, then there is no background check. 

I see the background checks offered at most of the gun shows that I have checked out in Virginia. And that's great. It needs to be a law that background checks for private sales required.

And I haven't disputed that it should be required.  My point was more how big of a deal is it?  That is why I compared it to the War on Christmas.  It makes for good talking points.  From my experience though, very few private sales at a gun show happen without a background check.  So how big of an issue is it really?  I haven't been able to find a good, non-partisan link for how many of the mass shooters benefited from the gun show loophole.  

More like a lack of control...

Big Lee's Towing owner killed in Metairie

METAIRIE, LA (WVUE) - The Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s office is currently on the scene of a homicide in Metairie.

Deputies reported the shooting just after 11 a.m. at a home in the 600 block of Bonnabel Boulevard.

Sheriff Joe Lopinto has identified the victim of the shooting as Lee “Big Lee” Martin, owner of Big Lee's Towing. Martin was shot and killed in the front yard of his home. 

According to Sheriff Joe Lopinto, the shooting followed an argument between Martin and a neighbor after Martin shot the neighbor's passing vehicle with a water hose. When the neighbor rolled down his window and began arguing with Martin, Martin allegedly sprayed water into the vehicle. The neighbor then got out of the vehicle and shot Martin once in the torso. Martin fled to the driveway of his home where he collapsed and died. 

Click on the link for the full article

On 5/5/2018 at 3:01 PM, TheGreatBuzz said:

I haven't been able to find a good, non-partisan link for how many of the mass shooters benefited from the gun show loophole.  

You probably won’t. Seems most of the younger ones get it from a relative and the middle aged ones don’t have any flags to prevent them from buying legally   

The private sale w/o a background check is more an issue for street crime and the occasional crazy. Same with straw purchases.  

It’s completely misrepresented (because there are various laws and insurance and other things that factor into someone with a ffl deciding to not do a background check) but it is an issue. It should be fixed because it’s not hard to fix, realistically doesn’t infringe on anyone’s rights, and would help with gun crime   

The only reason the nra and it’s kind are against is because they refuse to cede any ground on the issue. I understand the tractic, though I wish it wasn’t the case. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 1

I took the family to the baltimore aquarium on Saturday. Afterwards we decided we'd head to Kislings for wings and cheese steaks like me and my lady used to do when we lived in the City and didnt have a kid. 

Stopped for traffic on Pratt and Eden. 

Pop, pop, pop, pop pop. They were close. Real close. Coming form our rear left. 

But I didnt do anything. I dont think I froze in that sense but I was stuck in my head "hmm thats gun shots, man thats close .." 

Wife says 'that gun shots go!"

Then I noticed people on the street had starting running. I want to say it seemed like things were moving in slow motion, like the ppl were running in slow motion but idk. 

I changed lanes and got us out of there. 

This was maybe the closest Ive been to gun violence. Ive been close two other times but this seemed different. This was 1 block directly north of us. Shorter city block, not the big long ones. 

I guess my point is ... I didnt react. I guess I froze. I was stuck in my head telling myself those arent fireworks thats gun shots. Then I thought, dang that guy got 5-6 shots off in less than 3 seconds, how'd he do that. And I replayed the pop, pop, pops in my head .. the wife had to spark me into getting us out of there. I lived in baltimore 9-10 years or so and never had this happen. This was 2 blocks from our old apartment. 

It has me thinking, I did freeze. Daughter in back seat, probably a clear sight line from the shooter to our car even though we were like a car length past the intersection and not totally exposed but we were def exposed to a degree.  

You think you would immediately react in a situation like that but I was sitting their in my head trying to analyze what was happening. 

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-ci-double-shooting-20180505-story.html

12 hours ago, China said:

More like a lack of control...

Big Lee's Towing owner killed in Metairie

METAIRIE, LA (WVUE) - The Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s office is currently on the scene of a homicide in Metairie.

Deputies reported the shooting just after 11 a.m. at a home in the 600 block of Bonnabel Boulevard.

Sheriff Joe Lopinto has identified the victim of the shooting as Lee “Big Lee” Martin, owner of Big Lee's Towing. Martin was shot and killed in the front yard of his home. 

According to Sheriff Joe Lopinto, the shooting followed an argument between Martin and a neighbor after Martin shot the neighbor's passing vehicle with a water hose. When the neighbor rolled down his window and began arguing with Martin, Martin allegedly sprayed water into the vehicle. The neighbor then got out of the vehicle and shot Martin once in the torso. Martin fled to the driveway of his home where he collapsed and died. 

Click on the link for the full article

A near 80 year old man kills his neighbor after getting into an argument and getting sprayed by water while inside his truck.  Of course that was not a justified shooting by any means and his life was in no danger.  But is there a point you're trying to make?  Are you anti-gun completely and saying that nobody should have one? 

I'm not so sure stricter laws/regulations (which I am fine with) is going to prevent deaths where someone loses their temper and murders their neighbor over getting sprayed with water.  

Mass shooters aren't who benefit from the loopholes.

Just as the overwhelming majority of gun crime doesn't come from mass shooters.

Your gangs, with members who are felons, always have nice firepower. And it doesn't take many sellers to do it.. all it takes is one or two to use the loopholes to funnel guns to criminals who can't buy one legally, and are not going to shoot a school or a mall.

They will use those guns in committing many many more crimes that make up the majority of gun violence.

My main hope for gun control is to simply close those loops and prosecute the living **** out of dealers who sell to people who can't own them legally and end up used in a crime. Trace them. Gangster or a felon unable to own legally gets caught with a gun, find out the seller and nab his ass. Just as i believe the majority of gun owners aren't borderline killers, i also think most dealers follow the laws and try to do a good job with their responsibility.  Make harsh examples out of those who don't.

I think doing that will go a long way to dropping gun violence, and removing the 'criminals can always get guns' belief that only exists because current laws still allow them ways to get them. AND, i think that doing so will place minimal burden on the responsible gun owner. It may make it slightly more difficult to sell a personal firearm. I think that may be a small price to pay.

~Bang

Edited by Bang

5 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

A near 80 year old man kills his neighbor after getting into an argument and getting sprayed by water while inside his truck.  Of course that was not a justified shooting by any means and his life was in no danger.  But is there a point you're trying to make?  Are you anti-gun completely and saying that nobody should have one? 

I'm not so sure stricter laws/regulations (which I am fine with) is going to prevent deaths where someone loses their temper and murders their neighbor over getting sprayed with water.  

Not saying nobody should have one entirely.  But certain types of guns should be banned completely except for police or military use.  Handguns and assault style (eg. AR-15) rifles are only designed for killing other humans.  You want a hunting rifle or shotgun, fine.

Frankly you don't hear about many of these types of incidents in countries where handguns aren't readily available.  

1 hour ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I think all private sales should go through a background check, gun show or not. 

It costs $20. I would never sell a gun to someone I didn't know without a background check. I'm not sure why others are OK with it. I don't know how anyone can look at the climate around us and not have a desire to make sure the person they're selling to is at least not flagged to prevent the sale of a gun.

It's $20. It takes 30 minutes. I don't get it.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, China said:

Not saying nobody should have one entirely.  But certain types of guns should be banned completely except for police or military use.  Handguns and assault style (eg. AR-15) rifles are only designed for killing other humans.  You want a hunting rifle or shotgun, fine.

Frankly you don't hear about many of these types of incidents in countries where handguns aren't readily available.  

This is why I have been saying there needs to be a discussion and decision about the purpose and need for the 2nd amendment.  I'm pretty sure it doesnt say guns for hunting.  

• Like 1

Just now, Bang said:

Mass shooters aren't who benefit from the loopholes.

Just as the overwhelming majority of gun crime doesn't come from mass shooters.

Your gangs, with members who are felons, always have nice firepower. And it doesn't take many sellers to do it.. all it takes is one or two to use the loopholes to funnel guns to criminals who can't buy one legally, and are not going to shoot a school or a mall.

They will use those guns in committing many many more crimes that make up the majority of gun violence.

My main hope for gun control is to simply close those loops and prosecute the living **** out of dealers who sell to people who can't own them legally and end up used in a crime. Trace them. Gangster or a felon unable to own legally gets caught with a gun, find out the seller and nab his ass. Just as i believe the majority of gun owners aren't borderline killers, i also think most dealers follow the laws and try to do a good job with their responsibility.  Make hash examples out of those who don't.

I think doing that will go a long way to dropping gun violence, and removing the 'criminals can always get guns' belief that only exists because current laws still allow them ways to get them. AND, i think that doing so will place minimal burden on the responsible gun owner. It may make it slightly more difficult to sell a personal firearm. I think that may be a small price to pay.

~Bang

That is one thing I've never understood is what is the big deal of making background checks mandatory for private sales at gun shows?  Or simply not allowing private sales of guns and channeling that through gun dealers/brokers.  It's freaking 2018, not 1925.  We have the technology and processes already in place.

By that I mean, you can purchase firearms online from auction sites and dealer websites.  I have never done that before, but I was curious as to how difficult it would be and what the process was like.  Looked at one website and basically you order through them and have to find a local dealer with a FFL, the local will do a background check and receive the shipment from the broker/dealer.  There is like a $20 transfer fee with the local dealer.  Here is one sites process, has drop down boxes where it's broken down in greater detail:  https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/how-to-buy-menu.html

They could just do the background checks at the shows or require those wanting to purchase to go to the local/closest dealer near the show to have them broker the deal for both parties.  Charge a small fee of say $20 for the local dealer to run the background check and moderate the deal.  

33 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

This is why I have been saying there needs to be a discussion and decision about the purpose and need for the 2nd amendment.  I'm pretty sure it doesnt say guns for hunting.  

Did they hunt in militia's back then?

;)