Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 Gameday Thread - Super Bowl 50: Carolina vs. Denver

ExoDus84

I'll also add that without a video of the out-of-bounds play, it is very difficult to argue the situation.  If the runner goes out of bounds on his own or while pushing forward or reaching the ball forward, the clock stops (the length that it stops depends on the time left in the half).  If the player is forced out of bounds and goes backwards or to the side or is stopped prior to going out of bounds, forward progress can be called, which would keep the clock moving.  So, without  video to see how the runner went out of bounds, it is hard to argue conspiracy. 

First half was even called (even with challenge). Denver had some bad calls against them... they let game play out.

2nd half was a steamroller in favor of Denver. It was a very close game with Carolina seemingly ready to snatch momentum 10 different times.

Further, I should have put 3 egregious calls because the first PF for roughness was insulting to the word rough. To say it wasn't obvious is ignoring 9 penalties against Carolna in 2nd half to NONE for Denver.

Poor officiating is a function of bad officials not league conspiracies. There were some questionable calls against Denver as well - the roughness call when Cam was hit in the back while going to the ground as a runner for example. Denvers front 7 was just too good for Carolinas O'Line.

He literally pulled on his jersey with his hand and pulled Thomas backwards. No entanglement there at all. I'm on my phone and it would be nice for someone to post that gif as I'm not able to.

Keep in mind it was a quick hitter, so if ball in air and he's 'pulling', it's PI and thus the uncatchable scenario would be in play. The entanglement before the ball being thrown can only be assessed. I felt there was contact after ball released that involved holding. The LOS contact was neutral and Peyton threw the ball in less than 3 seconds. Don't bother with GIFs, they don't do real time justice.

As far as the runner... he was making every effort to go forward with one of his legs still with forward motion as he goes out of bounds. That play to me was where I really latched on to this tinfoil theory. 

Denver won the game and I don't purport that the refs are the reason Carolina lost. I always believe if you're the better team, don't let the refs or other things even come into play. Carolina played terrible. But, I do want to highlight that I honestly feel the refs had an agenda.

Denver won the game and I don't purport that the refs are the reason Carolina lost. I always believe if you're the better team, don't let the refs or other things even come into play. Carolina played terrible. But, I do want to highlight that I honestly feel the refs had an agenda.

Well, if they had an agenda they would have call RTP on the first play of the game where a Panthers DL shove Peyton to the ground way after he threw the ball... Flag didn't left the pocket...

Honestly, I thought that the Panthers tried to play it like the 2012 Redskins with someone that is worse at it that our RG3...

Still, that was a complete destruction of the Panthers' O, and I'm glad it happened. Should STFU some of their guys for quite some time, I hope.

Yeah, I thought if any thing the game was called for Carolina.  Yeah, they missed some calls (the PI against Ginn) for Carolina, but the PF on the Cam run could have (and I think should have) been a non-call.

Things like PI are missed on a regular basis and there is a history in the playoffs and super bowls with giving DBs the benefit of the doubt.  If your a WR in those cases, you have to know it is going to be tough to get a call.

In general, Carolina just didn't seem like they wanted to be there once it became a fight.  I'll never get over Ginn running out of bounds on his own when there was still clearly the chance to pick up yards still pretty early in the game.

And contact within 5 yards still doesn't allow you to hold.  Even within 5 yards, you're not allowed to reach out and grab a guys jersey as he runs by you.

In general, Carolina just didn't seem like they wanted to be there once it became a fight. I'll never get over Ginn running out of bounds on his own when there was still clearly the chance to pick up yards still pretty early in the game.

That was definitely a strange play. Ginn looked scared all day. He alligator armed the ball on that INT. The throw was a little high, but he was more concerned with getting hit and didn't stick his arms up.

I thought the only missed call was the Cotchery catch/challenge.

The NFL needs to fix what a catch actually is. That was a catch in the 1st that was over ruled. The ball never touched the ground.

I think the ball touched the ground on the initial tackle, before the roll-over.  This was my best at grabbing a screenshot from a moving .gif.  The momentum is going forward, so from here the ball continues to roll toward vertical, and he uses the ground to secure the ball.  Even if the ball never touched (in which case the point was about 1 cm off the ground), there wasn't enough there to overturn the call of incomplete on the field.

incomplete_zps0puwp9yk.png

There was something oddly satisfying about this SB... Von Miller was a straight up beast and has been my favorite non-redskins player other than perhaps khalil mack and julio jones in the past few years, and his performance was tremendous in every facet of the game.  The game surely had clunky QB play, but honestly as a fan of defense in football (which the NFL appreciates less and less) I felt like it was a great change of pace.. I was glad that a team won decisively thanks to defense, yet it also wasn't reliant on a singular do or die outcome like last years (and actually quite a few recent ones) that leave a winner feeling a bit arbitrary.  The broncos won decisively, but it was close enough where you still had to watch.  I'm only arguing my personal opinion, I completely understand why this was considered a clunker by most.  But, this game seemed to ride that razor thin line of things that satisfy me more than most recent SBs. 

I wanted to see Cam win because I think, like usual with hype, in terms of it paying off into the supernova which most sports fans always wish to see sort of feels like a letdown, and I think was actually the better outcome for this SB if you were basing your outcome on what will make the biggest impact in the country.  Manning winning felt much more marginal to me from a cultural impact (obviously) but of course still had many football related impacts.  And I guess for better or worse Manning really is a national icon at this point so his legacy was in many ways saved by yesterday too.  But I think Cam has been on a run to a degree massive enough where him winning felt "more" right. 

So I went into the game rooting for the panthers, but early on when I realized how great the Broncos D was playing, and learning that there were a few panthers fans at the party I was at, I started rooting for the Broncos deep down. 

Congrats to The Sheriff. He capped an incredible career last night with another ring, and can ride off into the sunset a champion. Canton is already prepping his bust for 2021.

Newton needs to grow up a little bit and act like a man. Pouting and walking off stage isn't going to earn him any favors with his opponents or his teammates.

I've never seen a pair of incredible defenses taking control of a game the way they did last night. Denver's D has to be one of the best units ever this year.

Thanks to everybody for contributing to this thread this season. :D

I think the ball touched the ground on the initial tackle, before the roll-over. This was my best at grabbing a screenshot from a moving .gif. The momentum is going forward, so from here the ball continues to roll toward vertical, and he uses the ground to secure the ball. Even if the ball never touched (in which case the point was about 1 cm off the ground), there wasn't enough there to overturn the call of incomplete on the field.

You're probably right. I am old school and use the eye test. Cotchery had his hand underneath the ball. Part of the ball may have touched the ground but Cotchery never lost possesion.

If anything, the NFL would have likely preferred a Panthers victory.  Newton would become the new face of the NFL for the next decade, facing off with Russell Wilson yearly as the 2010s version of Brady/Manning.  Peyton Manning's legacy was set regardless of the outcome of yesterday's game, whereas with Newton they have the opportunity to groom a star that's on the rise and an asset that can be milked for the next 10 years.  You can't say that the NFL is all about the money, and therefore it's a conspiracy, but at the same time insist that the NFL chose to do Manning a favor instead of investing in their next cash cow.

I also noticed plenty of blown calls in Carolina's favor.  The Talib unsportsmanlike in the first quarter was essentially a turnover - Denver's defense had just gotten off the field, and the refs handed the ball back to Carolina by penalty.  That's a HUGE penalty - as big as an interception or a fumble.  On one of Newton's throw-aways, he was not outside the tackle box and yet no flag was thrown.  On another, he was arguably outside the tackle box but the ball was thrown short of the LOS (the freaking ref was standing on the LOS, had to run backwards to catch the ball, and still didn't put 2 and 2 together to realize that that inherently means the ball didn't travel to the LOS).  Early in the game, Manning threw the ball to a receiver in the flat who was tackled before the ball arrived.  While it's not pass interference, it's certainly holding.  No flag.

I don't think there was a conspiracy.  There were bad calls like in every game, and I think the bad calls came out relatively balanced in the end (unlike our game vs Carolina, for example).

Thats what everyone is asked. Did Russel Wilson act like a child when they brutally lost the Super Bowl to the Patriots? How about Peyton when they brutally lost to the Seahawks? How about his fellow Panthers teamates who went up there and answered questions?

If he is going to dance around and taunt when they win, he better man up when they lose. You see the true character of someone in the hard times.

The difference is those two players already had SB rings. 

I don't think that so called poor behavior in a press conference after a big loss is any indication of true character. I think this criticism is pointless piling on by a sports culture that has become obsessed with triviality. 

I think the ball touched the ground on the initial tackle, before the roll-over.  This was my best at grabbing a screenshot from a moving .gif.  The momentum is going forward, so from here the ball continues to roll toward vertical, and he uses the ground to secure the ball.  Even if the ball never touched (in which case the point was about 1 cm off the ground), there wasn't enough there to overturn the call of incomplete on the field.

The ball can touch the ground if it doesn't move. I didn't see the ball move. We'll just have to disagree. I don't really care in the end as I'm a Redskins fan. I just want the NFL to fix this issue because it has cost us in the past.

If anything, the NFL would have likely preferred a Panthers victory.  Newton would become the new face of the NFL for the next decade, facing off with Russell Wilson yearly as the 2010s version of Brady/Manning.  Peyton Manning's legacy was set regardless of the outcome of yesterday's game, whereas with Newton they have the opportunity to groom a star that's on the rise and an asset that can be milked for the next 10 years.  You can't say that the NFL is all about the money, and therefore it's a conspiracy, but at the same time insist that the NFL chose to do Manning a favor instead of investing in their next cash cow.

I also noticed plenty of blown calls in Carolina's favor.  The Talib unsportsmanlike in the first quarter was essentially a turnover - Denver's defense had just gotten off the field, and the refs handed the ball back to Carolina by penalty.  That's a HUGE penalty - as big as an interception or a fumble.  On one of Newton's throw-aways, he was not outside the tackle box and yet no flag was thrown.  On another, he was arguably outside the tackle box but the ball was thrown short of the LOS (the freaking ref was standing on the LOS, had to run backwards to catch the ball, and still didn't put 2 and 2 together to realize that that inherently means the ball didn't travel to the LOS).  Early in the game, Manning threw the ball to a receiver in the flat who was tackled before the ball arrived.  While it's not pass interference, it's certainly holding.  No flag.

I don't think there was a conspiracy.  There were bad calls like in every game, and I think the bad calls came out relatively balanced in the end (unlike our game vs Carolina, for example).

You can't be serious. Cam Newton would generate more futures revenue than Manning by winning this game. I think what you got post game from Cam is more defense that the NFL KNOWS he's no face of the league going forward, not someone you really want to hitch your wagon to.

There's a chance Newton doesn't even reach Doug William's status if they won. Manning winning cements endless NFL royal family marketing ad infinitum. I won't even entertain the idea Newton winning is more profitable than Manning any further than this

You're probably right. I am old school and use the eye test. Cotchery had his hand underneath the ball. Part of the ball may have touched the ground but Cotchery never lost possesion.

If the ground caused the ball to move. Then technically it was dislodged and he lost possession. Due to it being the ground that caused it, the ball was dead and he cant regain possession. Way I see it.

Sure there were bad calls when you critique pretty much every game ever played, but to think the NFL would care who wins is kind of dumb imo. NFL gains nothing one way over the other.

Archived