Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 Gameday Thread - Super Bowl 50: Carolina vs. Denver

ExoDus84

I've never understood the requirement that losing QBs must be interviewed after the Super Bowl.  That being said, he was a big ole baby.

QB's and HC's are required to be available for interview after every game - why should the Super Bowl be different?

After watching Newton over-celebrate when things are going his way it's no surprise he becomes a whiny, ****y sore loser when his team gets a beatdown. 

Your team lost. Take it like a man & congratulate your competitor. 

The sign of a good QB isn't how he reacts when things are going well, it's how he responds when things are going badly. 

Cam is getting beaten up in the press, and deserves it IMO. I get that he's unhappy- I would be-, I get that he wanted to win- everyone does- but where is that camaraderie? Where are his thoughts for the other guys on the roster that just lost this game too? That's what bugs me the most, that whatever happens, good or bad, it's always all about him, his joy, his pain, everyone else just being supporting actors in his star production. TEAM Cam! It's a team game, team win, team loss, it ain't just about you ya big selfish self-absorbed jerk. Helluva football player but has a ways to go in becoming a man.

Would love to know how the other Panthers felt, never will, but I wonder.

NFL made the call in second half... Give one of their golden cows a ring.

1) Clock continuation with about 7 minutes to go in 4th after player clearly ran out of bounds going forward

2) No penalties against Denver in second half

3) 2 egregious calls against Carolina (holding in end zone, PF for slapping ball)

4) Picked up flag

Once NFL knew Denver had chance the operation was put into to place

NFL made the call in second half... Give one of their golden cows a ring.

1) Clock continuation with about 7 minutes to go in 4th after player clearly ran out of bounds going forward

2) No penalties against Denver in second half

3) 2 egregious calls against Carolina (holding in end zone, PF for slapping ball)

4) Picked up flag

Once NFL knew Denver had chance the operation was put into to place

1) I am not sure what play you are talking about, but I will offer up what might have been the reason. With 5:00 or more in the game the clock stops when they go out of bounds the clock stops until the ball is whistled back into play. So the clock doesn't stay stopped until under 5:00 left in the 4th or under 2:00 in the first half.

2) Don't have much to say here. I didn't see penalties missed but how much of the game can we see from TV?

3) I thought both were the correct calls.

4) Did they show that play again? I was waiting to see a replay on why that was picked up, but either it didn't happen or I missed it. So I won't offer a opinion on that one.

Bottom line, it was one of the most dominant defensive performances in Super Bowl history, and that is why the Broncos won.

Cam is getting beaten up in the press, and deserves it IMO. I get that he's unhappy- I would be-, I get that he wanted to win- everyone does- but where is that camaraderie? Where are his thoughts for the other guys on the roster that just lost this game too? That's what bugs me the most, that whatever happens, good or bad, it's always all about him, his joy, his pain, everyone else just being supporting actors in his star production. TEAM Cam! It's a team game, team win, team loss, it ain't just about you ya big selfish self-absorbed jerk. Helluva football player but has a ways to go in becoming a man.

Keuchly and Norman showed how to do it.  Wilson showed last year how to do it.  Yeah, it sucks, but "it's what you get the big bucks for".

The bigger picture, for Panthers fans is, you could see his high level of frustration early in the game and I have to believe that affects his overall play, as well as his team's play. 

I don't remember the holding call.  The call that I remember was the PF for slapping the ball.  That was the correct call.  

I can't remember which team (Philly maybe?) did it to the 'Skins, but they had the same thing happen, where a 'Skin player was trying to give the ball to the ref, and the player knocked the ball out of his hands.  

That's a long-standing rule, a pretty cut-and-dry situation.  That was the right call.

Actually, the call that left me completely scratching my head was the PF - unnecessary roughness call against Denver on the Newton run up the middle.  Every angle that I saw showed that Newton was hit while not on the ground, yet they called a PF.

Another one that seemed really odd was a throw-away that wasn't an Intentional Grounding.  Cam was in the pocket, and heaved it towards the sideline.  Apparently Olsen was "in the area" which was about 10-15 yards down field.  Really?

I don't think this was a very well officiated game, but I think it was probably bad for both teams. Didn't seem like a lot of bias one way or the other.  

I get the Broncos dominated on D, phenomenal performance. They needed every ounce of it to because Denver offense was horrible. But, FWIW, I absolutely believe NFL has vested interests in outcomes. They can't 'fix' a game, they can have an objective to effect outcome.

Refs didn't make Denver's D dominate, but their calls made for more plays to have Carolina win versus Denver win. This has been talked about quite a bit in NFL conspiracists circles. Believe what you want, but that second half was glaringly obvious to me. 

The NFL needs to fix what a catch actually is. That was a catch in the 1st that was over ruled. The ball never touched the ground.The very next play is the strip sack for a TD. With out that screw up Carolina regains the momentum. Cam was starting to settle down. But he never regained his composure after that fumble. I really think the refs screwed the Panthers by not over turning that call..

3-14-CAR24 (7:56) (Shotgun) C.Newton pass short left to J.Cotchery pushed ob at CAR 35 for 11 yards (C.Harris). Caught at CAR 31. 4-yds YAC 4-3-CAR35 (7:15) B.Nortman punts 40 yards to DEN 25, Center-J.Jansen, fair catch by J.Norwood.

That is a copied version of play from CBS sports play by play. Interestingly enough it states he 'pushed out of bounds'. The clock never stopped (even to spot ball and restart as mentioned above). 

Small potatoes right? Well, look into the extension of games in NFL. There is quite a few sites will show obvious 'favoritism' to certain teams throughout games in NFL by refs. It's not obvious things. It's the small potatoes things that will extend team A's ability to score and win and shrink Team B's ability to score and win. 

It's an aggregate approach and I'll stick by that it was put into play in 2nd half yesterday. Once NFL seen it wan't going to be runaway, they put the operation on to full go.

Yea, it's crazy... Just my opinion. Look up other examples if you want

He deserves to be roasted. 

Here's the thing: he has all this bravado, and dancing, and hooting and hollering when things go well.  Then he brings race into the picture.  It's all good when they are winning, they can have a good time, party, dance, whatever.

But the flip-side is, if you get beat, and they got beat down, then you have to be able to stay humble, acknowledge your teammates, be gracious to your opponent, and say that you'll be back the next year.  

If you do that, then you can essentially get away with anything.  If you sulk, pout, and stalk off, it just shows extremely poor sportsmanship.

As soon as he did it, I thought of one person in sports to compare him to: Serena Williams.  Most might miss this comparison, if you don't follow tennis.  But Serena is probably the most physically talented woman tennis player ever.  And she's going to end up as the most decorated champion. (She's one major victory behind the leader, Steffi Graf, right now, and nowhere near done winning majors.)  However, up until extremely recently (like 3 weeks ago), she has been a miserable sport.  Last year, when she had a chance to become the first woman since 1988 to complete a calendar year grand-slam, she lost (inexplicably) in the Semi's of the US Open, she had a 3-minute press-conference, said, "don't ask me anything about how disappointed I am" (like there really was any other question to ask) and then walked out.  

Serena MIGHT have learned, at age 34, because she was, for the first time, extremely gracious in defeat at the Australian.  Here's hoping, because you never want the face of your sport, and Cam can be the face of the NFL for a decade, to be a bad sport or sore loser.

I get the Broncos dominated on D, phenomenal performance. They needed every ounce of it to because Denver offense was horrible. But, FWIW, I absolutely believe NFL has vested interests in outcomes. They can't 'fix' a game, they can have an objective to effect outcome.

Refs didn't make Denver's D dominate, but their calls made for more plays to have Carolina win versus Denver win. This has been talked about quite a bit in NFL conspiracists circles. Believe what you want, but that second half was glaringly obvious to me. 

I disagree, only because I think if you look at the first half, it looked like the ref's were trying to give Carolina the game.  

First half was even called (even with challenge). Denver had some bad calls against them... they let game play out.

2nd half was a steamroller in favor of Denver. It was a very close game with Carolina seemingly ready to snatch momentum 10 different times.

Further, I should have put 3 egregious calls because the first PF for roughness was insulting to the word rough. To say it wasn't obvious is ignoring 9 penalties against Carolna in 2nd half to NONE for Denver. 

3-14-CAR24 (7:56) (Shotgun) C.Newton pass short left to J.Cotchery pushed ob at CAR 35 for 11 yards (C.Harris). Caught at CAR 31. 4-yds YAC 4-3-CAR35 (7:15) B.Nortman punts 40 yards to DEN 25, Center-J.Jansen, fair catch by J.Norwood.

That is a copied version of play from CBS sports play by play. Interestingly enough it states he 'pushed out of bounds'. The clock never stopped (even to spot ball and restart as mentioned above). 

Small potatoes right? Well, look into the extension of games in NFL. There is quite a few sites will show obvious 'favoritism' to certain teams throughout games in NFL by refs. It's not obvious things. It's the small potatoes things that will extend team A's ability to score and win and shrink Team B's ability to score and win. 

It's an aggregate approach and I'll stick by that it was put into play in 2nd half yesterday. Once NFL seen it wan't going to be runaway, they put the operation on to full go.

Yea, it's crazy... Just my opinion. Look up other examples if you want

CBS got a lot wrong, and the "pushed out of bounds" is not official.

If a player is deemed to go out of bound forward, on their own accord, I don't believe the clock stops.  I think.

Or it was a woops by the refs.  There were plenty of woops' by the refs.

Here's the thing: if the NFL REALLY was influencing officials to call things certain ways, it would come out.  There are too many officials to keep it secret.

One other thing: if this was truly going on, somehow this would have leaked out during the ref lock-out a few years ago. If only as a negotiating tactic.  And the refs have no love for Goodell.  Somebody would have spilled the beans.  

It's Occam's razor: Among competing hypotheses, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected.

My 2 cents.  I don't think there's a grand conspiracy.  But for those who want to, I won't stop them. :)

I can't blame Cam for walking off the podium actually. He is a young man and just lost the freaking Super Bowl for Christ's sake. When did we start expecting these athletes to act like politicians? I just watched the press conference and he was being asked some stupid questions. Someone asked him if there was anything memorable about the game. Are you kidding me? That reporter is lucky he didn't stand up and punch him in the face.  

The clock doesnt stop for going out of bounds unless you are at the 5 minute mark in the 4th. The slapping the ball out of the receivers hand is always a penalty. How was that an incorrect call? The holding on Josh Norman was also an obvious penalty, and the fact it wasnt catchable doesnt come into play on a holding call. The reason for that is on a play like that Peyton is going to look for him and throw it out the back of the endzone if its not there. So the holding caused Peyton to throw it away.

Any comments on the 2 plays that should have been intentional grounding on Cam that were not called? I saw maybe one play in the second half where I felt the Broncos got away with one, could have easily been a PI but no call.

I can't blame Cam for walking off the podium actually. He is a young man and just lost the freaking Super Bowl for Christ's sake. When did we start expecting these athletes to act like politicians? I just watched the press conference and he was being asked some stupid questions. Someone asked him if there was anything memorable about the game. Are you kidding me? That reporter is lucky he didn't stand up and punch him in the face.  

Thats what everyone is asked. Did Russel Wilson act like a child when they brutally lost the Super Bowl to the Patriots? How about Peyton when they brutally lost to the Seahawks? How about his fellow Panthers teamates who went up there and answered questions?

If he is going to dance around and taunt when they win, he better man up when they lose. You see the true character of someone in the hard times.

You expect him to mad about the loss.  You expect him to be upset about the loss. He was mad and upset as any athlete would be. No problem with him being that.

You expect him to be mature.  You expect him to be professional. He was neither of these and that is the problem. He again pouted like a child.  That is the knock on him.

People said he'd changed.  Well it was easy to change when you were winning 17 of 18 games and the one loss was pretty meaningless. He's shown when things are great, he's Mr. Personality.  When they aren't, he's Mr. Pouty.

See above.  No one is saying he can't get mad or feel upset.  It's how you conduct yourself.

And he's not the first player to be asked "stupid questions."  It's a daily occurance within the sports world in all sports.

The clock does stop until the ball is respotted when player goes out of bounds above the 5 minute marks of each half.

Ginn had Denver DB piggybacking him on crucial 3rd down and no call. The contact from Normal was well within 5 yards and NOWHERE in reply was there a hold. There was contact n the legal 5 yard space. Terrible call.

All of Cam's throws on grounding concerns were at or near line of scrimmage (which is the rule) or a receiver. 

The clock does stop until the ball is respotted when player goes out of bounds above the 5 minute marks of each half.

Ginn had Denver DB piggybacking him on crucial 3rd down and no call. The contact from Normal was well within 5 yards and NOWHERE in reply was there a hold. There was contact n the legal 5 yard space. Terrible call.

All of Cam's throws on grounding concerns were at or near line of scrimmage (which is the rule) or a receiver. 

He was in the pocket. Doesnt matter if it gets back to the line of scrimmage if he is in the tackle box, only applies if he is outside the tackle box. And the closest receiver was about 15 yards away, not even close to near it.

Clock stops with 2 minutes or less left in the first half, 5 minutes or less in the second half.

I cant find video of the clock continuing to run instead of temporarily stopping, but if you are saying that it ran off in extra 5-7 seconds, guess I cant argue with that. Though I dont see how you can argue that impacted the game.

Norman "pulled and held" Thomas jersey. It was a clear call. I know some questioned that the ball was out of reach, so if pass interference was called, they could have said the ball was uncatchable. The call was holding, which makes the uncatchable ball a moot point. It could be 40 yards past him and the holding trumps it. If you didn't see a clear hold, I question your judgement and I'd like to give you the number to a good optometrist.

He was in the pocket. Doesnt matter if it gets back to the line of scrimmage if he is in the tackle box, only applies if he is outside the tackle box. And the closest receiver was about 15 yards away, not even close to near it.

Clock stops with 2 minutes or less left in the first half, 5 minutes or less in the second half.

I cant find video of the clock continuing to run instead of temporarily stopping, but if you are saying that it ran off in extra 5-7 seconds, guess I cant argue with that. Though I dont see how you can argue that impacted the game.

I'm not saying the one play impacted the game or any of the calls individually affected the game. It's just about highlighting what I saw and consider vested interest in 1 team winning. 9 penalties to none, picked up flag, clock tactics... just saying what I think.

As far as 'pulling and holding' on the Norman hold call, no- I don't need an optometrist. They have to call it both ways if that's the case. There was 'entanglement' off the LOS- that's as far as I'll go. 

Archived