Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 Gameday Thread - Super Bowl 50: Carolina vs. Denver

ExoDus84

Press conference wasn't too bad... what do you want the losing QB to say? He could sit there and hear them yell at him more questions, but why bother... what more is he supposed to say.

He can show class and dignity in the face of losing.

The other QB on the field, Peyton Manning, did that two years ago when he and his team were obliterated by the Seahawks.

He didn't act like a crybaby jerk.

If you are going to go around dancing and dabbing and claiming no one has ever seen anything like you when you are winning, you'd better be ready to face the music when you lose. 

My opinion of Cam Newton completely changed after tonight, both on and off the field. He is a prima donna and self-centered. He is not ready to be a true leader or champion.

By the way, Newton not diving for the ball on that strip sack towards the end was unacceptable. He needs to be excoriated for that.

IMO, Cam understandably was frustrated with the way the game played out for his team, but should've taken the time to be more forthcoming with the media.  Dab and smile all you want when you win, but take responsibility when you lose.  You're not going to win them all.  He's the face of the franchise and the league MVP.  

My opinion of him isn't completely changed, but I am disappointed. We all knew he was primarily a fun-loving guy, and it ain't fun to get crushed like that. I do wish he would have taken the lumps with it, though. I don't particularly like the way people have bashed him for how much he celebrates, but he has to expect it when he loses in the end. Stick through it, and he'd still have a lot of respect.

He can do what he wants - maybe he will get fined for not staying the required time limit - "class" is having to relive and breakdown a Super Bowl game you just watched?

Why even answer to media types?

He can do whatever he wants, just like we can judge a grown man for the actions and choices that he makes.  I would normally not give 2 ****s about what was said or done in a post game press conference especially when it didn't involve actively deflecting blame onto others, which Cam did not do (to his credit).  However, for a guy who had been essentially taunting the entire league all year, telling everyone that if they don't like it they should stop him, it was quite satisfying to see him look like an adolescent when he actually does get stopped.

Both team's defenses were good but I think Cam played a poor game overall and simply missed too many opportunities that were there to make plays to guys that were getting behind Denver's secondary.  The game was pretty close for enough of the game that a few more completions could have made a difference earlier in the game.  Not sure if he was too hyped up, too much adrenaline pumping, maybe too rattled by the pass rush or what, but it seemed like he was just out there missing throws he usually makes in his sleep.

Contrast Cam's press conference with Josh Norman's. Norman was clearly disappointed. He was probably the most emotional on the field of all the Panther players. But he sat there and answered the questions. he showed he was a true professional. Cam acted like a petulant child. He basically made all of his critics nights with that press conference.

Moral of the story, again, is that teams win games and the QBs get entirely too much attention.  Quarterbacks being the ultimate deciding factors in all things is a media narrative that simply isn't true.  QBs are an essential element of the passing game and offense, but they are useless if the opposing team dominates the line of scrimmage and beats them up.  We've seen it before, the Giants didn't beat the Pats twice because Eli was the better QB.  The Seahawks lost last seasons superbowl because they trusted their superstar QB instead of their superstar running back.  Soon some idiot in the media will say something like "but how many superbowls has he won" when talking about quarterbacks and we'll forget again. 

Tim Tebow would have beaten the Panthers tonight behind center from the Broncos.  May have even done better than Peyton because let's face it, Manning was awful and the Broncos won despite of him.  Don't try to pretty up a 56.6 rating performance, it's not worth it. 

Congratulations to Peyton, it was well deserved.

Newton on the other hand is still immature and doesn't know how to handle a big loss with class. I know the guy is devastated but coming to a presser with a hood on your head and having not much to say is no excuse. It's through the toughest time of life that you reveal yourself, and show the world what kind of man you are.

Congrats to Peyton. He has given us a lot of entertaining games and deserves to retire in this fashion.  With that said, hopefully Elway does not talk him into playing one more year because watching Peyton's arm struggles is very tough.

Disappointed with Cam's post game presser.  A lot of kids look up to him and he has to know his behavior tonight was a mistake.  The media is gonna drag him pretty good this week.

I wonder what happens next with this Broncos "Super Bowl" ready team and want to know will the Panthers bandwagon that I saw increase on my Facebook disappear or continue to talk trash? 

well guys...it was a great season. had fun discussing the games in this thread with everyone here :) going to miss it, but in 6 months (realisically 7, cause i doubt anyone will want to discuss pre-season games) we'll be back in the ATN secton discussing games once again!!! for now, time to sadly put this thread to rest :(

Saw many posts tonight by Facebook friends saying "honestly, I couldn't give a **** about the super bowl. Just watching because my family is watching" or "don't give a **** about the super bowl, just watching for the commercials/halftime show" or those memes that say "am I the only one that doesn't give a **** about the super bowl" or "everyone's excited about the super bowl, and I'm just sitting here waiting for baseball/hockey/nascar/whatever"

Like....seriously? What is their point of posting that...? Nobody's making them watch the super bowl...posting **** like that is immature.

He can do what he wants - maybe he will get fined for not staying the required time limit - "class" is having to relive and breakdown a Super Bowl game you just watched?

Why even answer to media types?

Because TV pays the money that makes the NFL wheels go round and the media around it oil the axel. It will be a contractual obligation for the players, certainly the QB and the HC as well. He certainly cant do what he wants - well not without consequences. He is just like everyone else on the planet in that respect.

He was clearly upset and frustrated, knows he did not play his best and just did want to be there answering questions. But part of being a leader is you have to front up when you lose not just when you win.

Another championship for Peyton was one of the things they were playing for.

I don't mind it. He has been great for the NFL, and this was probably his last game.

Somehow, I hope for Peyton it's his last game, he was really bad and slow, well old, yesterday. The Broncos won despise him. I was a bit sad to watch him play that poorly. Stop when you're at the top is the way to do it. But everyone can see he's declining and guy deserve better.

<vids of Cam not diving>

Ah, Corbin Bensen, Tom Berenger, Major League!

That movies suits us so good this year lol.

Archived