Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Have you ever broken a bone?

Springfield

Back when I was 5 or 6 I decided to try out skateboarding without knowing how to stop. When I couldn't figure out how to stop, I ran full force into the back of a car as the road I was on was coming down a hill. Shattered my right wrist. Also think I may have broken my nose at least once as I had this bad habit of riding down the same hill on my bike with my eyes closed which had me running into mailboxes all the time.

Broke my right ankle twice, both times in a football game. 12 and 16. Second one was bad, needed surgery.

Two broken ribs and a broken nose when i got jumped and stomped. 18.

Broken thumb when HBP playing American Legion baseball. 18.

Boxers fracture, 5 or 6 times between both hands. Only got a splint/cast once, rest of the times I tied a shoe string around my pinky and ring finger lol.

Broken eye socket when I got sucker punched/ko'd at a gogo club. 16.

Broken wrist getting hung trying to dunk and put my hands out to brace my fall. 19.

Kids are active all the time, and more careless than adults. Kids seen to break bones all the time lol

Yes. This spring for the first time in my life. 

Fifth metatarsal  in my foot. (The one that runs along the outside to your little toe. Heck of a break on x-ray.). The worst one you can break in your foot in terms of recovery time. Over 3 months to fully heal. The first 6 weeks in a walking boot, then shoe and crutches. And because I apparently have high arches on my feet, it took me another month outside of the standard 3 to get back to full strength and stability. 

In all the years I played physical contact sports, and all the rough and tumble as kids when we were never indoors back then, nothing. Then I get to my 4th decade, and something as completely innocuous  as getting out of the car and my foot collapsing  under me. 

We honestly take for granted how frail our bodies really are. And boy do you also take for granted simple things like being able to walk around at will on two feet. For the first few weeks when I was more or less completely laid up house bound, I've never felt so helpless and incapacitated in my entire life. 

Hail. 

Nose met doorknob at the bottom of a flight of stairs when I was about 10.   Then I go all the way to age 33, when I had a front end collision (Hail to my Subaru wagon, I lived)...that resulted in a broken right hand, broken left foot (foot on clutch, hand on gearshift) and a broken jaw. 

ER doc said it's a good thing I didn't have an airbag, or it would've broken my whole arm.  And two people I'd worked with in the restaurant biz while they were in nursing school had graduated...one checked me in, and the other was my attending nurse, swear.   

All I've done is break a tooth, and not until I was 20 or so.

Came back to the college dorm after winter break a day earlier than my roommates, so I was alone Saturday night.  I had one of those clear plastic retainers that fit over the teeth like a glove rather than the pink ones with the wires.  We had set up our room with the provided steel bedframes set up as bunk beds at the far end of the room, but the light switch was by the door, so I had to walk in the dark from one end of the room to the other.

Brought my head down too early to get into bed and I somehow missed the bedframe of the upper bunk with my chin but hit it square on my upper front left tooth.  One of the few times in my life I saw stars.  Pulled off the retainer and the bottom half of my incisor had just been pulverized.  Roommates arrived Sunday, laughed at me, then drove me to a dentist Monday to get it fixed.

Then a few years later I chipped a tiny bit off the fake part by bringing a beer bottle up to my mouth too fast.

do fractures count or just compound ones? :)

fingers and toes repeatedly from about 5 till now, nose several times as a teen and orbital fracture

only major bone I know of was fractured tibula

I'm also a serious knothead(as if that was news)

Pinkie toe playing pickup basketball, landed hard on the side of my foot. Didn't even notice the toe at first due to pain of the sprained ankle.

Left pinkie finger playing pickup basketball, got my legs taken out and went down quick with my hand underneath me.

My next broken bone will likely also be a result of pickup basketball.

fractured my elbow when I was 8. Swinging on monkey bars at recess, slipped off and the first thing to hit the ground was my elbow. cried like a little baby that day

broke my wrist playing basketball during gym my senior year of high school. went up for a rebound, legs got cut from under me and all my weight came down on my wrist. Doc's actually had to re-break it in order to set it properly. I managed to redeem myself by not crying this time around. Had a **** of a time convincing the gym teacher it was actually broke, since I wasn't screaming in pain. It didn't really hurt initially, but my arm went numb and felt like dead weight immediately.

later in my senior year I found out I had a dislocated hip, which I still to this day have no idea how it happened. I actually walked on it for an additional month so I could make my graduation, Doc told me I couldn't make it worse, it would just be a pain issue. Started college a semester late because of the surgery. Doc's didn't want to do hip replacement because of my age, so he did a hip reconstruction.  I'm usually very good with pain, but that first week after surgery was pure hell.

right arm when i was 16 playing tackle football( all decisions made during this age have consequences)

right ankle when i was 17 during a "garage hopping" mission to procure beer( needless to say i was caught).

pelvic alvulsion(not sure if thats the correct term) when i was 17 kicking a soccer ball. piece of my hip just fractured off. most painful of all the breaks i've experienced. 

Archived