Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Non-Winter Weather Thread

d0ublestr0ker0ll

I am supposed to fly out of dulles at 7am on Saturday, anyone have an opinion if that is foolish to expect to make that? 

Thinking of renting a car and driving to dallas to catch the connecting flight in dallas.

Airline wants $4000 to move my flight up 12 hours. Lol.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Itoolu said:

I am supposed to fly out of dulles at 7am on Saturday, anyone have an opinion if that is foolish to expect to make that? 

Thinking of renting a car and driving to dallas to catch the connecting flight in dallas.

Airline wants $4000 to move my flight up 12 hours. Lol.

The flight should be ok.

before driving you need to make sure your ticket allows missing the 1st leg, many do not

• Like 1

My cupboards are ****in packed with enough canned stuff to keep us going for at least a week, but local weather peeps aren't sounding the alarm just yet. 

I have a Pur water faucet filter, so I'll get a couple gallon jugs at work tmrw and fill those. 

It's easier preparing for a winter storm...I can just throw all the refrigerated stuff out on the deck. ?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, twa said:

The flight should be ok.

before driving you need to make sure your ticket allows missing the 1st leg, many do not

I didnt even think of that, thanks. American airlines doesnt seem to want to help out my family to make a vacation we have been looking forward to for 10 months so they probably will not allow me to fix it myself.

19 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Yeah I’m thinking DC won’t be too badly affected by this at all. Anyone here remember hurricane Isabel? That was the worst hurricane I’ve been alive for, power was out most places for a week. Now THAT was crazy 

that was the first time Id ever seen green/red lightning. Not old enough to fully remember Andrew

Just now, Itoolu said:

I didnt even think of that, thanks. American airlines doesnt seem to want to help out my family to make a vacation we have been looking forward to for 10 months so they probably will not allow me to fix it myself.

Might be a good idea to stay the night near Dulles though if you have much of a drive.

in general if you miss the 1st leg they cancel the whole itinerary.(delayed flights they will reschedule on their dime)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, twa said:

Might be a good idea to stay the night near Dulles though if you have much of a drive.

in general if you miss the 1st leg they cancel the whole itinerary.(delayed flights they will reschedule on their dime)

Just talked to the airline and you are correct, i just have to hope we get out Saturday morning.

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Yeah I’m thinking DC won’t be too badly affected by this at all. Anyone here remember hurricane Isabel? That was the worst hurricane I’ve been alive for, power was out most places for a week. Now THAT was crazy 

Think that was the one i remember with all the crazy flooding in Alexandria.  

6 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Unless something changes, which is certainly possible, it should just be very high tides, a few inches of rain, and some wind gusts in the 70 mph range in the area.  That'll mean power outages and downed trees and a lot of flooding on roads, but it shouldn't be that dangerous if your family stays inside.

Virginia's coast is sheltered from the worst of these African wave storms because of the way the NC coast juts out in front of it.  For a really powerful storm to make a direct landfall on Hampton Roads, the storms have to travel really far North and then make a hairpin turn East-Southeast.  It's happened before, but it's very rare.  Like once every several decades type of event.

Much less powerful storms are enough to grind the region to a halt though.  The area is very flood prone and it's also covered in old trees.  We lose power very easily and there is really nothing you can do about the flooding except stay home and wait it out.

While all this is true, Isabel was terrible for the region and people had trouble getting water for a while and power was out for weeks. 

You might not get crushed from your house falling apart, but I think people write off the modern convienence of water, electricity, and a functioning sewer system too easily. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tshile said:

While all this is true, Isabel was terrible for the region and people had trouble getting water for a while and power was out for weeks. 

You might not get crushed from your house falling apart, but I think people write off the modern convienence of water, electricity, and a functioning sewer system too easily. 

Hampton Roads is the second most flood prone metropolitan area after New Orleans according to Army Core of Engineers.  A direct hit like @stevemcqueen1 is describing would be a different level of devastation.  Feel like we always playing with fire having so many of our Navy there, but they typically go out to see and odds of a hurricane getting around NC is super slim.  I have no idea what they've done from a pumping station standpoint like Norfolk promised, there are parts of downtown i know they won't rebuild, jus expedite the getting poor people out of there.

Edited by Renegade7

Hi Everyone, maybe someone can help with advice.  I am scheduled to come out to see the skins play their home opener against the Colts.  I live in LA and obviously this was planned before Hurricane Florence.  I get into Dulles from LA on Friday morning 7am.  I am staying in Alexandria...by the Eisenhower metro station.

You guys have an idea of any trouble I'd have getting in and around and will I still be able to take the metro to the stadium on Sunday....I am usually in DC atleast once a year (since 2007) and this is the first time it's actually rained.  It's snowed once, but that happen once I was already there.  just trying to see how much would my trip be impacted....thanks and HTTR.

5 minutes ago, Duane Winslow said:

Hi Everyone, maybe someone can help with advice.  I am scheduled to come out to see the skins play their home opener against the Colts.  I live in LA and obviously this was planned before Hurricane Florence.  I get into Dulles from LA on Friday morning 7am.  I am staying in Alexandria...by the Eisenhower metro station.

You guys have an idea of any trouble I'd have getting in and around and will I still be able to take the metro to the stadium on Sunday....I am usually in DC atleast once a year (since 2007) and this is the first time it's actually rained.  It's snowed once, but that happen once I was already there.  just trying to see how much would my trip be impacted....thanks and HTTR.

The dc area is going to have lots of rain some wind which will cause trees to fall and power to go out in areas. Roads may be closed for tree removal in spots. Unless something changes it won’t be that bad. 

But they may reschedule the game...

7 minutes ago, tshile said:

The dc area is going to have lots of rain some wind which will cause trees to fall and power to go out in areas. Roads may be closed for tree removal in spots. Unless something changes it won’t be that bad. 

But they may reschedule the game...

thank you.... rescheduling the game would suck because i leave to come home Monday and obviously I paid for tix that that I'd have to eat the cost of........I usually go places early to avoid weather issues.  thank you for your input

2 minutes ago, Duane Winslow said:

thank you.... rescheduling the game would suck because i leave to come home Monday and obviously I paid for tix that that I'd have to eat the cost of........I usually go places early to avoid weather issues.  thank you for your input

You could always sell the tix last minute...and enjoy the Smithsonian...again? ?

1 hour ago, skinsmarydu said:

Naval ships have to leave port in order to not beat the pier into oblivion...I chased 2 hurricanes and for about a week each, 1st deck division...the hardest I ever worked in my life...nothing could ever, ever, ever come remotely close. 

About 30 ships went to sea today.

I'm packing up the camper and headed towards Dover.  @Renegade7 you live near me I believe.   Got a plan?

2 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

About 30 ships went to sea today.

I'm packing up the camper and headed towards Dover.  @Renegade7 you live near me I believe.   Got a plan?

I'm in Lorton, VA now, but I'm checking on people in the area (really appreciate you asking).  You gonna move inland?  Have an Aunt and Uncle and they told me via facebook they gonna decide tomorrow.

7 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm in Lorton, VA now, but I'm checking on people in the area (really appreciate you asking).  You gonna move inland?  Have an Aunt and Uncle and they told me via facebook they gonna decide tomorrow.

I'm going towards Dover.  All models show that area will be clear.  My main concern is getting back to help deal with aftermath. 

• Like 1

I finally bought a little generator to power my sump pump and a few other things.  We don’t lose power often, but these types of storms plus just regular thunderstorms seem be getting more severe/frequent. My basement would be toast with no power.  Lived here since 1999 and just now feeling the need. 

• Like 1