Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Non-Winter Weather Thread

d0ublestr0ker0ll

24 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

You stayin in Norfolk?  I know you near wards corner... 

Haven't decided yet.  If the storm veers South down the coast of Carolina then I'm probably better off staying.  I've been sick the past couple of days and I'm not sure I'm up to a long car trip.  I'll check the forecast tomorrow and make a decision then.

I'm worried about finding somewhere to park my car if I stay though.

• Like 1

Just now, stevemcqueen1 said:

Haven't decided yet.  If the storm veers South down the coast of Carolina then I'm probably better off staying.  I've been sick the past couple of days and I'm not sure I'm up to a long car trip.  I'll check the forecast tomorrow and make a decision then.

I can dig it, been talking to my peoples down their, euro model says it might get pushed i to Georgia instead.  Its jus the flooding that gets me about Mermaid City, it's one of the reasons i left

27 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I can dig it, been talking to my peoples down their, euro model says it might get pushed i to Georgia instead.  Its jus the flooding that gets me about Mermaid City, it's one of the reasons i left 

Yeah the flooding is awful.  That's why I'm worried about my car.  But I'm also worried about being able to get back into town on Sunday if I evacuate inland.

• Like 1

This thing turned south after I finished a mad scramble to cut grass, fight the lines in grocery stores, fill up the truck and get 20 gallons of spare gas, then moving everything I could out of my basement, putting everything really heavy up on blocks, and assembling a generator that I've had boxed up for a couple of years. You're welcome VA. Sorry bout that Carolinas.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

They're calling for 10 to 15 feet of storm surge in the North Carolina sounds.  6-10' surge along the coast near Wilmington.  This is going to be a disaster for the Carolina coasts.  I'm very worried about my family in the region.  They're inland, but only a little over an hour from Wilmington and the inland flooding is going to be awful.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

13 is one of the only good roads running up to Dover.  Most of the Eastern Shore is in evacuation zone A too.  Be prepared for a slow trip, but you'll get there eventually.  The earlier in the morning you leave the better.

It's not a bad drive under normal circumstances.  The drive through Maryland is pretty nice.  It'll be better than going on 64 for sure.

Left at about 8am.  Zero traffic through tunnel and the drive up.  Near Salisbury now.  Probably just gonna find a spot here.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

They're calling for 10 to 15 feet of storm surge in the North Carolina sounds.  6-10' surge along the coast near Wilmington.  This is going to be a disaster for the Carolina coasts.  I'm very worried about my family in the region.  They're inland, but only a little over an hour from Wilmington and the inland flooding is going to be awful.

15 feet?   is anything in the Outer Banks other than Jockey's Ridge higher than 15 feet?

3 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Left at about 8am.  Zero traffic through tunnel and the drive up.  Near Salisbury now.  Probably just gonna find a spot here. 

Glad to hear you had a good trip.  I like the drive up 13 and 50 and, if I am heading North, prefer that to driving on the Virginia interstates and through DC any day.  I think you made the right call heading up the Eastern Shore.  You never know if the storm could take a Northern turn or if the storm surge would have been bad in Norfolk/Va Beach.  I would guess that you'd be fine staying in Salisbury.

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

What does the latest change do for the DC forecast this weekend? Will we even see rain?

Maybe a little

Sounds like we ain't getting much. That's good if you want to go to the Redskins home opener Sunday. Damn. I ain't standing around in no deluge. You know I love my ES homies but I'm not getting drenched at the tailgate. 

3 hours ago, mcsluggo said:

15 feet?   is anything in the Outer Banks other than Jockey's Ridge higher than 15 feet? 

I don't think so.  Looks like the worst of the surge will be on the rivers at the West banks of the sound though.  They're the end of the line.  They're also forecasting a ton of rain to hit this area.  Well over a foot.  Plus the storm is going to stay in the Carolinas and make its way to the mountains so there is going to be a ton of runoff.

There is going to be historic inland flooding.  The Neuse and Pamlico rivers are going to get huge.

EDIT: I looked it up and apparently there are a few decently high points in the Outer Banks.  I'm not sure they are the ones who are going to get crushed by this storm.  It looks like all of the beach communities from Emerald Isle on down to Charleston are the ones who are going to get devastated.  This is sad.  A slow moving disaster we can't do anything to stop.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

EDIT: I looked it up and apparently there are a few decently high points in the Outer Banks.  I'm not sure they are the ones who are going to get crushed by this storm.  It looks like all of the beach communities from Emerald Isle on down to Charleston are the ones who are going to get devastated.  This is sad.  A slow moving disaster we can't do anything to stop.

keep in mind storm surge doesn't include wave action in the height, w/o a seawall or breakwater it gets gnarly

40 minutes ago, twa said:

keep in mind storm surge doesn't include wave action in the height, w/o a seawall or breakwater it gets gnarly

I would guess that waves wouldn't be too big an issue for the communities on the Western edge of the Pamlico Sound.  That looks like the spot where the surge will be the worst.

It'll be bad enough with no waves at all.