Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Non-Winter Weather Thread

d0ublestr0ker0ll

21 hours ago, tshile said:

The euro had this pegged pretty well. But the models had different solutions for paths. We had probabilities but the others were possible too. 

And when the states of emergency were called the prevailing run produced a strong category 4 and could reasonably be thought to increase to a weak category 5  

when you factor in how much time it takes to mobilize and difference between staging before the storm and only doing something afterwards, it was appropriate. Generator manufacturers were refusing to stock stores outside the impact area in anticipation of shipping them to the impact area after the storm. 

Rememver katrina?

they did the right thing. 

The foolishness is with the weather channel using it to drive ratings. 

And there’s a problem with the lack of explanation from the government(s) in why they reacted the way they did. This will undoubtably produce people who refuse to take the next one seriously because of how this one turned out. That’s unfortunate. And those people are foolish. 

I don't know if you see my second post, but I'm more concerned about after hits land projections.  We got lucky it dropped in category before hitting landfall, as we go forward they will be strong enough that they will be hitting at a high category and stay hurricanes on land longer. 

I'd rather the range of states be increased instead of clicking on and off which ones are safe or not when they hit, even we have to call it something different then state of emergency at first.  We have stuff like hurricane warning and watch, but its typically for the coast line.

@Springfield the categories are based on wind speed, not the rain.  You can't look at the amount of rain that Florence is still yet to drop and say it doesn't matter. It's also still causing tornado warnings.

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

I don't know if you see my second post, but I'm more concerned about after hits land projections.  We got lucky it dropped in category before hitting landfall, as we go forward they will be strong enough that they will be hitting at a high category and stay hurricanes on land longer. 

I'd rather the range of states be increased instead of clicking on and off which ones are safe or not when they hit, even we have to call it something different then state of emergency at first.  We have stuff like hurricane warning and watch, but its typically for the coast line.

@Springfield the categories are based on wind speed, not the rain.  You can't look at the amount of rain that Florence is still yet to drop and say it doesn't matter. It's also still causing tornado warnings.

I have moved a Naval submarine tender twice due to hurricanes. 

I can tell you that, absolutely, positively...ONCE IT HITS LAND, IT ENCOUNTERS WHAT'S HAPPENING...ON THE LAND. 

AND IT CAN MOVE...DRASTICALLY. 

(You're on the inside. I'm outside, kinda. Work with me here. )?

Made it to Grand Cayman today and we flew to the west of Florence from BWI to FLL.  It was pretty bump for like 15-20 minutes right as we were passing it, and I mean like some of the most turbulence I've ever experienced.  Nothing to get worried about but it sure as **** got my attention lol.

We've got tornado warnings popping up all over Central Va. from the remnants of Florence. Can probably expect some of this stuff heading up towards NoVa, if you haven't seen it yet.

Edited later: After I posted this, all hell broke loose around here. Last I heard, at least 7 tornadoes spotted and at least 3 of those touched down. Fox 5 up there has some pics and videos. Don't ignore them if you get the warnings!

http://www.fox5dc.com/weather/tornado-warning-issued-in-city-of-fredericksburg-stafford-and-spotsylvania-counties

Edited by SoulSkin

20 hours ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Came home to an inch of water covering my basement floor. Thanks, Florence. Hopefully Liberty Mutual is good to me. 

Update: nope

There was a convenient gap in my coverage that didn’t cover water entering from around the foundation. So I am, as they say, kinda f-ed. 

• Sad 2

I evacuated at the very last minute. Then couldn't get back home until a few days ago, for a total of about 2 weeks of being stuck away from home, due to impassable roads back.

Sometimes you're better off staying.

Sometimes you shouldn't listen to warnings...When warnings like this are spoken like it's an absolute certainty, and end up being so very far from accurate.

"Power outages will last weeks to possibly months. Most of the area will be uninhabitable for weeks or months."

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

‘Aggressive, monstrous’ mosquitoes 3 times bigger than normal swarm North Carolina after Hurricane Florence

North Carolina has recently become home to some very large mosquitoes following Hurricane Florence.

gettyimages-1644570.jpg?quality=85&strip

The mosquitoes are described as “aggressive, monstrous pests with stripes on their legs” by USA Today.

North Carolina State University entomologist Michael Waldvogel told USA Today the large pests are called “Gallinippers” or “Psorophora ciliata.”

They can be three times as large as average mosquitoes. The floodwaters after Hurricane Florence can cause dormant eggs to hatch, spiking their population into the billions.

North Carolina resident Cassie Vadovsky posted video to Facebook showing a swarm of the blood-thirsty insects outside her car at her home.

Click on the link for the full article and video

Tropical Storm Rosa threatens 11 million people with flooding in the Southwest

Deserts aren't supposed to get much rain, but Tropical Storm Rosa is flipping the script.

Rosa is forecast to make landfall early Tuesday with more than 11 million people under a flash flood watch in the Southwest, CNN meteorologist Michael Guy said.

It'll drench Baja California with 3 to 6 inches of rain, with some spots getting up to 10 inches, the National Hurricane Center said.

$

As it moves northeast, Rosa will also dump 2 to 4 inches of rain on much of Arizona, with up to 6 inches in the mountains. A flash flood watch is in effect for parts of Arizona until Wednesday as the storm's remnants move across the state, the National Weather Service said.

"These rainfall amounts may produce life-threatening flash flooding," the National Hurricane Center said. "Dangerous debris flows and landslides are also possible in mountainous terrain."

Historically, it's unusual for the US Southwest to get pummeled by a hurricane or tropical storm. But "these events have begun to increase in recent years," CNN meteorologist Gene Norman said.

Research indicates that global warming contributes to tropical storms getting "more intense, bigger and longer-lasting, thereby increasing their potential for damage," said Kevin Trenberth, senior scientist at the National Center for Atmospheric Research.

Click on the link for the full article

Edited by China

6 hours ago, China said:

‘Aggressive, monstrous’ mosquitoes 3 times bigger than normal swarm North Carolina after Hurricane Florence

North Carolina has recently become home to some very large mosquitoes following Hurricane Florence.

The mosquitoes are described as “aggressive, monstrous pests with stripes on their legs” by USA Today.

North Carolina State University entomologist Michael Waldvogel told USA Today the large pests are called “Gallinippers” or “Psorophora ciliata.”

They can be three times as large as average mosquitoes. The floodwaters after Hurricane Florence can cause dormant eggs to hatch, spiking their population into the billions.

North Carolina resident Cassie Vadovsky posted video to Facebook showing a swarm of the blood-thirsty insects outside her car at her home.

Click on the link for the full article and video

My first ever trip to the OBX was right after a hurricane and another hurricane came up through Florida and stayed inland. These ****ers were EVERYWHERE. You couldn’t go outside with any skin showing between 6pm and 10am or they would swarm you. It was September and I was walking the dog in sweatpants tucked into socks, a hoodie with the hood drawn tight around my face, and a bandana over my face so only my glasses were visible. I also wore gloves. I would literally have hundreds on me the entire time. It was a plague. Poor dog got eaten alive. It was miserable and we almost ruled out ever going back. You could feel them stick you. I had to have 300 bites on my legs alone. 

To summarize, **** those assholes. 

• Haha 1