Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Non-Winter Weather Thread

d0ublestr0ker0ll

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Should people near DC start making preparations or will it be the worst in NC and SC? 

Prepare for a ton of rain and high winds (gusts probably still in the 60s by the time it reaches the DC area). So I’d stock up on bread and milk. :)

(And gas and whatever else you need to get through a day or two without power) 

My guess is derecho-like impact for winds plus significant rainfall is the worst case expectation. But the ground is so wet, flooding could be higher than normal and winds may have a bigger impact on trees. 

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I wish I knew the track better.  Since I live in a camper, I will probably need to head inland a few hours.  I just don't know how far to go to be safe.

Consider riding the storm out in a hotel? If you are trying to avoid damage to the camper, it may end up being advisable to drive it a few hours inland. But regardless of where it ends up, safer to find a cheap place to crash for a day or two. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Should people near DC start making preparations or will it be the worst in NC and SC? 

The models are showing Florence stopping over North Carolina/southern Virginia for several days so you're going to get hit by rain, wind, and tornadoes. You should plan for the power being out for at least a day (safe, sorry, etc.).

5 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I wish I knew the track better.  Since I live in a camper, I will probably need to head inland a few hours.  I just don't know how far to go to be safe.

yeah or a good storage building.

and which way is always fun. last time I sent the wife and kids 4 hrs North, shoulda chose West.(they got hammered worse than here)

35 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

My wife and 3 year old are in VA Beach visiting her parents this week.  I keep sending her articles about the hurricane hoping she will get the hint and come home.  No luck so far.   

Unless something changes, which is certainly possible, it should just be very high tides, a few inches of rain, and some wind gusts in the 70 mph range in the area.  That'll mean power outages and downed trees and a lot of flooding on roads, but it shouldn't be that dangerous if your family stays inside.

Virginia's coast is sheltered from the worst of these African wave storms because of the way the NC coast juts out in front of it.  For a really powerful storm to make a direct landfall on Hampton Roads, the storms have to travel really far North and then make a hairpin turn East-Southeast.  It's happened before, but it's very rare.  Like once every several decades type of event.

Much less powerful storms are enough to grind the region to a halt though.  The area is very flood prone and it's also covered in old trees.  We lose power very easily and there is really nothing you can do about the flooding except stay home and wait it out.

Edited by stevemcqueen1
  • Like 2