Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things Sports Talk Radio - DMV (met)

Zguy28

14 hours ago, purbeast said:

Jesus Christ unfunny Danny even ruins commercials.  Just now he was doing some Ted Brit Ford commercial and said "HMMMMM" like 39024930 times.  That **** drove me nuts and I ripped my ear buds out and came here to rant about it.

I thought they were so good when they first started, but Grant has gone from an informed beat reporter to a Kirk & Scot anti Bruce guy and Danny has gone from a passionate Redskins fan who just wants a parade to a depressed, nothing can go right, we're not smart cynic. And people keep egging him on in his comedy. It was ok in small doses but now it's like every time he talks to Craig or JP or whoever is "Craaaaaig" or whatever acronym starts with JP. 

They actually had a segment on Monday where the two of them ranked the hottest male celebs? I was like WTF am i listening to, and turned on Al Galdi's podcast. 

On 8/30/2018 at 5:43 AM, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Fred Smoot can talk. That guy has a funny phrase or metaphor for everything. I thought I wouldnt like his over the top southern thing but I do, he says stuff that is on point as well.

I liked Czabe and Cooley in the pm drive home.

Cooley and Galdi are okay, Cooley acts too much like a know it all kinda "im superior to you bc I played" prick w Galdi though.

At the end of the day

At the end of the day

At the end of the day

At the end of the day

Nothing really to say, but at the end of the day

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Didn't I just say have on more beat writers? Also, it's a 3 person show already. That's a conversation most of the time. 

You might be better off listening to Sirius or something, the type of station you're looking for would fail within 4 months in this area. 

My god, the Doc Walker show is the worst sports radio I’ve ever heard.  I’m not even one of those guys that hates Doc for his less than insightful tough guy talk.  But his show is downright pathetic.  First he practically begs for callers, then he demeans them.  I see him trying to sell his show as “real” but it’s just real poop.

• Thanks 1

I was just in the car driving back from lunch and flipped on Grant and Danny and they were talking about Rudolph the reindeer.   Like WTF?  They were talking about something how Blitzem is close to Blitzen, and Dondy is close to Donner or some stupid ****.  Then they played the song so I quickly changed it.

These guys are SSSSSOOOOO ****ing bad I can't stand them lol.  

• Haha 1

Strong operation they're building, but I cant see paying for any of it.  

So no more Aldridge on TNT.

On 9/7/2018 at 5:58 PM, ixcuincle said:

Listened to the first one, it sounds like it's literally gonna be an amalgamation of every show he's done on radio.  Some days it'll be the Sports Fix, other days it'll be bits from Cooley and Kevin.  

The first episode was rough because it was just him monologuing with Sterne chiming in occasionally.  But that'll get better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StillUnknown said:
strong lineup, minus Paulsen

I read the 1st part of what Grant wrote. Since I don't, and won't pay, for the Athletic now, I can only read a small bit. I am a professional writer and editor, and, in my professional opinion, he sucks.

The Redskins didn’t just beat the Cardinals on Sunday. They dominated them. Here is a closer look at some of the numbers and performances that helped Washington improve to 1-0.

Terrible opening--does not grab the readers' attention. 1st two sentences are "choppy." Combine them, and give a preview of why they dominated them. It lacks flow and any kind of interesting lead-in.

They racked up 429 net yards. The last time they topped 400 yards in a week one game was came six years ago when Robert Griffin made his debut in New Orleans.

This is the second sentence, his 1st reason the Redskins dominated the Cardinals. It should be the most interesting and biggest reason for the win. I read this and think "BORING!" Other than the terrible punctuation, who cares? Why is this significant? He should have pointed out this was Jay Gruden's 1st week 1 win as coach of the Redskins, shown the dominance in TOP, how the defense held the Cardinals to 11 passing yards in the 1st half. Philip Rivers had an amazing day, and lost. 429 total yards doesn't mean anything.

The chains were moved 30 times by Washington's offense.

Passive voice. Never, ever use passive voice--unless you're intentionally trying to hide the actor in the sentence. Typically, you ****ed something up and you don't want to roll someone under the bus, or your client ****ed something up and you don't want to out-and-out blame them. Passive voice is a sign of a weak writer.

Grant Paulsen is a terrible writer--he's actually a worse writer than he is radio host.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2018 at 7:15 AM, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

My god, the Doc Walker show is the worst sports radio I’ve ever heard.  I’m not even one of those guys that hates Doc for his less than insightful tough guy talk.  But his show is downright pathetic.  First he practically begs for callers, then he demeans them.  I see him trying to sell his show as “real” but it’s just real poop.

Turned on Galdi this AM. He had Doc with him. The guy admitted he hasn't slept. Then rambled for 5 min without saying anything. He was using nicknames and nonsense talk that didn't even make sense for him. I switched to music.

my advice.

https://www.theteam980.com/contact/

Send them a message that this is bad radio.

then email inquiry@urban1.com and do the same.

I get they are going on the cheap right now. I imagine Doc works for peanuts. But man. It's football season now. Step it up a little. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, justice98 said:

Listened to the first one, it sounds like it's literally gonna be an amalgamation of every show he's done on radio.  Some days it'll be the Sports Fix, other days it'll be bits from Cooley and Kevin.  

The first episode was rough because it was just him monologuing with Sterne chiming in occasionally.  But that'll get better.

I listened on Saturday to his first podcast...outside of Galdi's morning show it was better than anything on-air on the The Team right now. 

2 hours ago, tshile said:

Haven’t listened to today’s yet but the first one sounded like it would take a while for him to get used to the format. 

Not having any sponsors for adequate and consistent breaks doesn’t help 

i kinda liked fridays show. give me everything i need to know in an hour, no annoying teasers, no filling time, no 8 minute commercial breaks every 5 minutes (so it seems), no terrible callers. whats not to like?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

What makes a good sports podcast? 

In this day and age, it's a healthy dose of levity/humor, pop culture, and intelligent sports talk (basically, know your ****).

I don't think fireside chats works anymore, and if people stepped away for a second, I think they'd realize that shock jock/trollish/ranting caller driven shows don't work either. I listen (sparingly) to some of these guys, and I come away thinking they hate what they do, or want you to hate them, don't know which is worse, honestly.

I don't want to feel angry listening to sports talk radio. Even if they say something I don't like (which in LeBatard's case, is pretty frequent), I want to find some middle ground/fairness in their critique that will keep me coming back.

That is rare,  though. In many avenues of entertainment these days, I see a lot if catering to the lowest common denominator, and it's lead to a poisoned well in many respects.

3 hours ago, CrypticVillain said:

What makes a good sports podcast? 

Being informative 

not spending time in dumb topics that only work because it makes people angry and call in

mixing in enough funny regular life stuff to break it apart and add humor