Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things Sports Talk Radio - DMV (met)

Zguy28

Sane, reasoned, factual takes, ie Not claiming Strasburg is a ticking time bomb, not calling his contract the worst in baseball, not spending months crying about the lineup, despite being the top offense in baseball, not making excuses for one (Cousins, Davey Martinez) while criticizing the same in another (Smith, Baker)...just some examples off the top of my head...

Oh yeah, and no really ****ty impressions.

Edited by Riggo#44
  • Haha 2

Obviously to anyone who has listened to my podcast  (which is exactly 3 months younger than podcasting itself,, so it MIGHT just be the longest running sports pod there is, to boast for a moment.. in our 14th season!), i have a completely different idea of what makes for a fun sports podcast but then again i am not trying to inform anyone of anything.

Over the decades, i have gotten so sick and tired of the hype..  all of it is meaningless nothing. To me, most of what you hear on sports talk is either something you already know (because you heard the same thing from a hundred other talking heads this week), some guy with a voice not good enough for radio dropping you his 'take' (ie: repeat of what has already been said by a hundred other guys) and don't even get me started with 'guests'..   they are just going to repeat the same things with very few exception, and if it is an athlete or a coach being interviewed.. well, they are the most useless things on air. Never any real insight, cliché after cliché, say nothing with a cherry on top. Oh, really? You think you need to minimize mistakes and focus on doing your job? Well, how interesting.  I'd have never thought.. what's that? Happy to be here? glad to help the team? Well, isn't that special. be back next week for my next guest who will say the exact same thing to different questions. What a scoop!

Other podcasts are "hey, listen to us drink beer and talk sports, bro. What didya think of the BUUURP game bro? Have another beer, bro!"

Granted, my show isn't typical. And it's not trying to teach you anything, or explain anything, except how useless most of  all of this is. We just have fun talking about the game, same way i used to make my cartoons,, about the game,, but not necessarily from a conventional standpoint. We like to have fun, because so much of the rest is simply soooo incredibly boring...  so much that it becomes a drone in my ear. There is nothing to break up the constant talk.. nothing in the background, nothing to indicate any change of topics,, nothing at all 95% of the time except some guys just talking.

I don't know how many times i will be listening to Around the NFL, and discover i have no idea what they are talking about and the last topic i remember paying attention to was 20 minutes ago, but the drone never changes and my brain goes away. This isn't the goal of the show, i think. 

I will listen to Sheehan. thanks for the recommendation, didn't know he was doing one. Local shows don'/t fall into my gripe above. I like some local redskins pods, and the ones i do listen to are able to delve into actual team items of interest, because they are not so widely focused. I like JP Finlay's pod., and i like it's only 30 minutes. 

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Thanks 1

I asked y'all because I actually launched a podcast last week. Not going to lie, I wanted to share it, but I was scared. lol

I really feel like I can be good at this, I just have a lot of stuff I need to work on.

If y'all wanna check it out, just search "Chillin' on Half" on ITunes or go here:
https://www.buzzsprout.com/207339/800524-chillin-on-half-003-redskins-team-check-up-nfl-playoff-predictions

Fry me. Let me know what I need to work on. Even the basic stuff like saying "Um" and other filler words. `

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

I asked y'all because I actually launched a podcast last week. Not going to lie, I wanted to share it, but I was scared. lol

I really feel like I can be good at this, I just have a lot of stuff I need to work on.

If y'all wanna check it out, just search "Chillin' on Half" on ITunes or go here:
https://www.buzzsprout.com/207339/800524-chillin-on-half-003-redskins-team-check-up-nfl-playoff-predictions

Fry me. Let me know what I need to work on. Even the basic stuff like saying "Um" and other filler words. `

Listening..  some thoughts

what recording software are you using, and what kind of mic?
Sounds a bit tinny.. maybe an adjustment. Move up on the mic a bit.

I didn't think you "umm'd" a lot. You're clear. Good cadence. (most folks talk WAY too fast.)

Good call on the effect of Payne and Allen on the pick.

lol forgetting about the receivers, I feel you on that.. (It never fails that as soon as i cut off the mic on my show i realize about 25 things i wanted to say, and worse, when i listen to the finished product, i kick myself over jokes i miss.), Bullet point sheets help a lot. Having an outline of the entire show really helps. 

Although i don't know that the receivers were ineffective, just unnecessary for them to do too much.

to be critical for a moment.. it's hard to sustain on your own. You've got a lot of good thoughts, interesting points.. but typically even the pros have a hard time maintaining an energy level for an entire show on their own. Most of the best and most listenable shows there are have at least 2 people. Sometimes having someone else there to just play off of makes a world of difference.

encourage listener participation..  in your segment talking about other games, I heard plenty of spots where you could drop an email address or a website or social media to come and discuss it with you. especially twitter.. you can build rapport there.

For me, maybe some things to break it up. make some effects or something to split the segments. Segmenting is good, people have short attention spans, and a segment change with a bit of a sound effect or something disrupts things, perks the ear back up. Plus, people tend to start to look forward to segments and will discuss them with you. splitting your breakdown into offense, defense, special teams or even further to passing game, running game..  not too many, but some split points.

Keep it up, do what you enjoy!

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Bang. You really are the OG of this. Kind of a boost that you were the first one to offer advice. I will definitely take a look at it.

I'm definitely feeling you on not doing the show alone... Part of my plan was to do my own thing for a few to get the basics down and then see if someone is willing to collab.

I am having fun though, I feel like each episode will be better than the next. Really appreciate the advice about audience participation.

• Like 1

That is the key.. do something you like. Don't try to change things based on what you think others might want.

That way you're always confident in what you're doing. Hell, if i thought for a minute how many people told me to shut up or i wasn't funny, i'd never speak. So, f-em.  ;)

Good luck going forward! I am going to subscribe and leave you a good review on iTunes.

You may want to consider blubrry.com.  A good stats resource, even the free version. (I don't use them for hosting or anything,, i wrote my feed 14 yrs ago and have self published it ever since. i am afraid if i try to change it i will f it up :) )
One thing i found out using it is i get probably 75% of my downloads via android. Google Play is the king. ITunes gives me maybe 10%. do your best to get your feed into these places.. blubrry can help.

~Bang

9 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

Thanks @Bang. You really are the OG of this. Kind of a boost that you were the first one to offer advice. I will definitely take a look at it.

I'm definitely feeling you on not doing the show alone... Part of my plan was to do my own thing for a few to get the basics down and then see if someone is willing to collab.

I am having fun though, I feel like each episode will be better than the next. Really appreciate the advice about audience participation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

So Cooley isnt on radio right now? Its Al Galdi or the junkies? No Cooley breakdowns?

Well ... that sucks.

Somebody asked Galdi on Twitter if he would have Cooley film breakdowns on his show and he said it wasnt his call.  I interpreted that to be management, rather than whether Cooley was willing to do it.  

Now, I dont see why Cooley would be prevented from doing it.  But I do see why Cooley might not be interested in doing it.  

Edited by justice98
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Somebody asked Galdi on Twitter if he would have Cooley film breakdowns on his show and he said it wasnt his call.  I interpreted that to be management, rather than whether Cooley was willing to do it.  

Now, I dont see why Cooley would be prevented from doing it.  But I do see why Cooley might not be interested in doing it.  

Where is Cooley? I thought Galdi was just filling in for a bit but expected him and Kevin or him and Galdi up and running week 1.

Bad morning radio imo.

3 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Where is Cooley? I thought Galdi was just filling in for a bit but expected him and Kevin or him and Galdi up and running week 1.

Bad morning radio imo.

Seems to me Galdi's gig is probably gonna stick. Even though he said last week he wasnt really sure what was going on.  It also seems Cooley's done as a daily host.  

The way Sheehan laid it out, it's all about money.  So you look at who they dumped, that kinda makes sense.  I would imagine Cooley, Sheehan, and Bram probably were amongst the highest paid.  Just conjecture on my part though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Seems to me Galdi's gig is probably gonna stick. Even though he said last week he wasnt really sure what was going on.  It also seems Cooley's done as a daily host.  

The way Sheehan laid it out, it's all about money.  So you look at who they dumped, that kinda makes sense.  I would imagine Cooley, Sheehan, and Bram probably were amongst the highest paid.  Just conjecture on my part though.

agreed. Sounds like Urban One is going cheap for now.

Just wanted to chime in here. Really disappointed to see that Cooley & Kevin are gone. I'm hopeful Cooley finds an outlet for his film breakdown, assuming he still wants to do that. Better yet, I'd be happy for him personally if he found something else, a Front Office job on the skins or elsewhere--maybe he already has. Or, a higher profile job doing broadcasts. Didn't he do a few national broadcasts last year?

I'll still listen to Galdi, since I like his style, and his fact-based approach for covering the game and the team. He's not particularly insightful from a football strategy point of view, due to not having the on-field experience, but I appreciate that he covers all the stats, all the obvioius angles.

The rest of the 980 team can suck it. Doc is the worst ever. All respect to the onfield exploits, but he's the worst radio commentator I've ever heard. Folks on this board have already covered his faults ad nauseum (footbal cliches, tough guy talk). He brings zero to the table in terms of football analysis, strategy, experience. I can only imagine how much the other regular hosts hate it when "that time of the week" rolls around and they have to suffer 10 mins on the phone w/ Walker offering his inane "you gotta hit 'em in the mouth"isms. Last year it was 9:00 AM Mondays for Cooley & Sheehan.

Czab is alright. I actually really liked the interplay between Cooley & Portis, and Portis is funny as hell. Portis has footbal knowlege, but I haven't seen the desire from him to do more than an hour a week. Smoot has a good mix of football knowledge and humor, but you need to pair him with the right team. Not a fan of B. Mitchell as a broadcaster either.

/end rant

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CrypticVillain said:

My man! Proud of you bro - as Bang alluded to - keep it up - because YOU enjoy it.

I listened to it while at work.  I think you have a natural, easy-to-follow voice.  It's approachable - honestly, you sound like how it goes when I'm just chopping it up and relaxing with my boys.  I do think that when (if) you decide to have guests on, or whatever, that you would do fine on your end.  For me, I didn't notice any unnatural breaks.  I think maaaybe there were times you could have paused a beat or two in between thoughts.

But really - I enjoyed it, man!  I think you did a great job. As a fellow Skins fan - I enjoyed the focus on our game (with some less bandied about insights on topics like special teams play) - but I did like that you hit some other games too.  

• Thanks 1

Listened to Sheehan's show, which, surprise, is his radio show, which is good enough for me.

I really would like it if he could get Cooley on there to do a breakdown and maybe he will, who knows. it's still new.

Some people think he's a blowhard, but he's interesting, knowledgeable and is one of the very few who can actually talk on his own without much need for a foil. i think he's enough of a local fan to feel it, but not let it get in the way of being somewhat objective mot of the time.

I like that sheehan's show has much the same segments, so i can forward if i want. :D

~Bang

I'm not sure who it was that Ghaldi was talking to around 6:30am this morning, but the dude was ALREADY talking about the wild card race in the NFC and what teams are going to be fighting for a spot.  

AFTER WEEK 1.

Sometimes football talk grinds my gears with stupid things like that.

On 9/11/2018 at 3:23 PM, Mr. Sinister said:

I liked him until he lost his mind RE: Griffin and became a sideshow. Don't respect that kinda stuff. Haven't really messed with him since.

I think that was largely because of Loverro's totally over the top daily apocalypse..  granted the Redskins in RG3s time was a soap opera, the level of paranoia and cloak and dagger that Loverro's narrative spun was completely ridiculous, but was so constant that it dragged all the other conversation into it's vortex.

I am REALLY not a fan of Loverro.  Yesterday's sheehan pod said he was on right in the description, and i ignored it. Won't listen to that one. Aside from his voice which drives my dogs nuts... his 'takes' are always so filled with his own agenda it's just unbearable.

~Bang

• Like 1

It is hilarious listening to Grant and Danny talking about the pre-game NFL guys that they don't like.  It sounds a lot like some of us in here talking about how they suck ass on the radio.

Grant just said he can't stand Terry Bradshaw and now Danny is trying to do voice impersonations that he probably thinks are hilarious but they are everything but that.

• Haha 4

On 9/11/2018 at 1:02 PM, XxSpearheadxX said:

people are saying there is a podcast for cooley and kevin now? I can't find one where is it? 

No, just one for kevin. The Kevin Sheehan Show. You can find it where you usually find podcasts. He also has a website 

http://thekevinsheehanshow.com/

It's a little rough around the edges right now, but if you like Sheehan you'll like this. i was hoping his break from 980 might get him off the redskins hype machine, but so far he's been the same person he's been for as long as i can remember. not necessarily a bad thing. maybe he'll cover more sports now that he's not beholden to 980.

i can't figure lovero out. sometimes he sounds like the dumbest person in the DC area. sometimes he sounds like a typical host just saying inflammatory stuff. he's got a little of the "i knew the real story the whole time i just couldn't tell you" which most of the radio hosts/beat reporters do way too much of around here (everyone's the king of knowing the truth after it's become public)

but sometimes he offers insight that's useful, and many times he's willing to be the first guy to say what's going on behind the scenes that others won't say until it's public knowledge.

i've always chopped it up to his character being directed at 980. guess we'll see now that's on a podcast with sheehan 2 days a week.