Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things Sports Talk Radio - DMV (met)

Zguy28

Loverro knows baseball. I'll give him that..  and i think it is because it's largely from the time he views as golden..  when sports journalists wove tales of heroes and largely held in their own hands how the narrative was presented,, which was largely positive, mom and apple pie americana.

And he's good with boxing, because again, he harkens back to the old days with all the great champs of the fifties.. with fat guys like him smoking cigars in dark arenas and writing more tales of heroes.
Nowadays there isn't any of that mystique. The curtain is completely gone, and he is forced to react rather than drive, and what he has to react to, he doesn't like. Athletes with their own voices not flowing through his typewriter.. he doesn't really like it. He thinks it's out of place.

I think this is why on the radio when it came to the Redskins he overreacted as much as he did.. he can't drive the story where he wants it to go because he has no control over it like they used to.

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Bang said:

I think that was largely because of Loverro's totally over the top daily apocalypse..  granted the Redskins in RG3s time was a soap opera, the level of paranoia and cloak and dagger that Loverro's narrative spun was completely ridiculous, but was so constant that it dragged all the other conversation into it's vortex.

I am REALLY not a fan of Loverro.  Yesterday's sheehan pod said he was on right in the description, and i ignored it. Won't listen to that one. Aside from his voice which drives my dogs nuts... his 'takes' are always so filled with his own agenda it's just unbearable.

~Bang

Yeah, his voice makes everything like 10x worse. Sounds like a Powerpuff Girls supervillain

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Haha 1

Tommy's voice is hilarious though.  It's part of his charm.  He's an old fat dude that talks like a 10 year old getting his nuts grabbed.

And damn, the Redskins are REALLY pushing this new PR guy to go out and spread the word about the experience at FedEx this year.  They've talked to him on the preseason broadcasts and just today he's been on both the Junks and now he's on Grant and Danny.  I'll be curious to hear people's thoughts after the home game.

I may go to a game this year but if I do I won't be buying from Redskins.com, it will be from a someone selling them.  I refuse to purchase tickets for any event that uses Ticket Master.  The fee fees are just ridiculous.

Edited by purbeast
  • Haha 1

Sheehan’s production makes me want to puke. I like stern, I’m guessing this was Sheehan’s decision making. 

I like sheehan but in his his first few weeks he did almost and entire segment with Keim on cousins and brought in shahan for a day (haven’t listened yet) which is pretty much why I quit listening to him. 

Ill give it longer but god I can’t see how this will be successful if he doesn’t step it up a bit. 

On 9/13/2018 at 1:14 PM, purbeast said:

And damn, the Redskins are REALLY pushing this new PR guy to go out and spread the word about the experience at FedEx this year.

They were pushing that stadium experience all damn off-season, so to come up 20k short on a home-opener, one week after a dominant season opening victory, it was crazy... And that was before kickoff. lol

Edited by CrypticVillain

I once saw Thom Loverro at the Capital One Arena during a hockey game. He was ordering ice cream. I didn't say anything to him though. :rofl89:

That's my Thom Loverro story. 

9 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

They were pushing that stadium experience all damn off-season, so to come up 20k short on a home-opener, one week after a dominant season victory, it was crazy... And that was before kickoff. lol

WE HAIL

32 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

They were pushing that stadium experience all damn off-season, so to come up 20k short on a home-opener, one week after a dominant season opening victory, it was crazy... And that was before kickoff. lol

The truth is the stadium has looked like this for the most part for a while. The end zones were worse than usual but otherwise it’s been pretty bad. The media is running with it full bore so it seems worse but it’s been bad for a while. 

I attribute the change to the fact that Snyder quit buying and reselling/giving away the tickets. If you thought Sunday was bad, you should see how many people that were there were only there because the tickets were free....

its been a dirty little “secrete” about the team for years. 

Theyre just no longer hiding it. Is that because of the black out rule change? If so, why not 2 years ago when they changed it? Is it because Snyder can’t afford to hide it anymore? It aligns interestingly with him selling off his radio investment. 

Edited by tshile

Just now, tshile said:

Theyre just no longer hiding it. Is that because of the black out rule change? If so, why not 2 years ago when they changed it? Is it because Snyder can’t afford to hide it anymore? It aligns interestingly with him selling off his radio investment. 

The team is worth billions so if he had some financial issues, he could just borrow against the value of the team (which always seems to go up). NFL ownership is pretty much idiot-proof at this point. Just don't be (overtly) racist. 

I do think that the team was putting their tickets on Stubhub to get *something* for them when it wasn't a divisional or big name opponent. They weren't re-sellers. They were from the Skins directly. They just aren't selling them now and by reducing the availability online, they profit more, with fewer people there. Instead of selling 5 tickets for 15 bucks each, selling 2 for 80 each is more profitable. And despite the shrinking crowd, the people that paid full price aren't feeling ripped off and have easier access in and out of the stadium, shorter lines to the bathroom, all that stuff. 

7 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Big picture, the attendance thing is a temporary issue. Once there's a new, smaller stadium they will have much more demand because 1) fewer seats 2) better location (presumably), and 3) the novelty of a new stadium. 

The way this league is going, by the time the new stadium is built, they'll be playing flag football in it.

And lets not forget the new stadium will come with PSLs. Granted, there's enough cash in the DMV that people will pay them, but having a somewhat successful Redskins team leading into the new place wouldn't hurt.

1 minute ago, hail2skins said:

The way this league is going, by the time the new stadium is built, they'll be playing flag football in it.

And lets not forget the new stadium will come with PSLs. Granted, there's enough cash in the DMV that people will pay them, but having a somewhat successful Redskins team leading into the new place wouldn't hurt.

Of course - and I'm sure it's in everyone's best interests to fix the attendance issue before the stadium wipes it away. I'm just saying, this isn't a problem that will still be here (regardless of the team's success) in a few years. In some ways, the new stadium is another iteration of Snyder's Fortune .500 2000 team, bringing Gibbs back, hiring Shanahan, RGIII trade, etc.

It's a fringe football thing that will successfully drum up artificial interest. Only, in this case, it'll be longer-term and more effective because it won't wear off after 2 years. Reducing capacity, having public transportation, and building in a better area will have long-lasting impact. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Doc Walker show might be the worst show 980 has ever put on.  He's just awful manning a show by himself.  Yesterday, he was berating callers about the Wiz, calling them "your team", condescendingly. 

I mean, I get he's a Laker fan, but it was annoying as hell to hear.  Scott Linn is an open Eagles fan, but it's cool cuz he's not obnoxious about it.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, justice98 said:

The Doc Walker show might be the worst show 980 has ever put on.  He's just awful manning a show by himself.  Yesterday, he was berating callers about the Wiz, calling them "your team", condescendingly. 

I mean, I get he's a Laker fan, but it was annoying as hell to hear.  Scott Linn is an open Eagles fan, but it's cool cuz he's not obnoxious about it.  

He's 100% stereotypical old man rant radio. Today he was just going on and on about how we shouldn't be happy with 8-8. Yeah no sh sherlock, noone wants to go 8-8. Get a grip.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been tolerating Grant and Danny because it's football season and they are talking a lot of football, but they opened up their show today talking about some triple stacker hamburger that they can't eat because their fatasses are on EMP 180.  So their first segment is people calling in who have had the burger to talk about it so they can live vicariously through them.

I ripped the earbuds out of my ears.

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I've been tolerating Grant and Danny because it's football season and they are talking a lot of football, but they opened up their show today talking about some triple stacker hamburger that they can't eat because their fatasses are on EMP 180.  So their first segment is people calling in who have had the burger to talk about it so they can live vicariously through them.

I ripped the earbuds out of my ears.

I hate it, but once Galdi is off the air, I find myself more of a 106.7 guy now. It's a sad time for my relationship with sports talk radio. 

6 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I hate it, but once Galdi is off the air, I find myself more of a 106.7 guy now. It's a sad time for my relationship with sports talk radio. 

Yeah Doc is not good as the lead.  He's just a grumpy old man living in the past.

Just now, purbeast said:

Yeah Doc is not good as the lead.  He's just a grumpy old man living in the past.

He's very limited with his knowledge of other sports AND amazingly after doing radio for so long. He struggles with X's and Os of football. Blows me away because Gibbs needed his guys to be smart specifically in that area. But if the options are talking about a coverage responsibility or throwing out a new nickname because he can't remember the name of the player.... or to scream about toughness. He'll always do the nicknames and tough talk.......sadly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

BMitch is much better than Doc, but I don't like the secondary guy with him so it gets on my nerves haha

Yeah I like listening to BMitch.  He's very knowledgable and I just like his overall attitude.  He's down to earth and straight up for the most part, telling it how it is.

3 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Yeah I like listening to BMitch.  He's very knowledgable and I just like his overall attitude.  He's down to earth and straight up for the most part, telling it how it is.

Is it Scott Lynn or Scott Jackson who co-hosts with him? For some reason, I can't stand that guy. It's not his knowledge but it's just listening to him. Oh well, I'll drink in sports radio in the mornings and leave it at that.