Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things Sports Talk Radio - DMV (met)

Zguy28

So I'll say that my current number 1 spot is Al Galdi. I'm glad he has an entire 4 hours now. I liked it when it was 2 hours but 4 is even better. Funny thing is my wife always asks why he's so serious, like even when telling jokes and stories. 

My old number 1 or at least tie was Grant and Danny, but at this point I'd rather hear the junkies talk about their kids going to college than G&D complain that the team is too old, then a week later that is too young, then that we have no running backs, then that we shouldn't bring anyone in, then that the guy we brought in played well but not to get excited, then that, etc. It's like they take advice from Chris Russell and say that they will just complain today.I'm too young for that much nagging. 

For me, next is the junks. I'd like to put Fred Smoot here, but first i don't know where his spot is, plus i don't know who is co host is. He and Chick have chemistry but may be too chill (has a junkies vibe to it). JP was too different if a personality. And Smoot screams too much, but is knowledgeable. He gave an opinion of the UMD story that was unique and comes from being an athlete. 

On 8/27/2018 at 8:58 AM, justice98 said:

Doc should never, ever, be the main host of a show.  I dont know what they were thinking.  He's sidekick, 3-man booth fodder, at best.  For that matter, so is BMitch, but at least they paired him with Scott Linn.  

And Doc was my guy back in the day.  Smokin Al and Doc in the afternoon was my go-to show when I was in college.  But that literally was 20 something years ago.  lol

I'd be fine with a Koken/Doc reunion.

Fred Smoot can talk. That guy has a funny phrase or metaphor for everything. I thought I wouldnt like his over the top southern thing but I do, he says stuff that is on point as well.

I liked Czabe and Cooley in the pm drive home.

Cooley and Galdi are okay, Cooley acts too much like a know it all kinda "im superior to you bc I played" prick w Galdi though.

I turned to 980 earlier and Doc was singing whatever Motown song was bringing them back from commercial break...that was enough for me to change the station to Grant and Danny (who I don't like). 

The Team is killing itself right now...all it needs to do is have ANYONE on opposite Grant and Danny who can do more than make up nicknames and hum music. 

17 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I turned to 980 earlier and Doc was singing whatever Motown song was bringing them back from commercial break...that was enough for me to change the station to Grant and Danny (who I don't like). 

The Team is killing itself right now...all it needs to do is have ANYONE on opposite Grant and Danny who can do more than make up nicknames and hum music. 

learned my lesson days ago. There is nothing valuable from that show. They know it. They don't care right now. 

If the new owners think they can cobble together a lineup from 980 leftovers and a few tryouts (Smoot, Chick, etc etc).  Good luck. Might as well just stream different national shows that they can fit into their schedule.

46 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

It would take very little for me to have something else on other than Grant and Danny for the mid day show, but I agree, Doc is just painful to listen to.  I pretty much stream sports radio all day at work and today I just took my ear buds out for a while in the middle of the day.  I just can't take much Grant and Danny, especially Danny trying to be funny as you mentioned, because he's not funny at all.  

• Like 1

Chris Russel disagrees with Grant about Perine, and it's hilarious to see how Danny is just beating Grant off as he's talking about it.  He's just there slobbing his knob and agreeing with EVERYTHING he says.  980 please gimmie something better than these guys to listen to!

I can't believe I actually subjected myself to Doc this morning. Good lord he is awful. Nothing but shouting and old tough guy cliche crap. What are you doing 980? Get him the hell off. If you wanna keep him on as sideline reporter for gamedays fine but do not give him his own radio show or you will hemorrhage more listeners.

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I can't believe I actually subjected myself to Doc this morning. Good lord he is awful. Nothing but shouting and old tough guy cliche crap. What are you doing 980? Get him the hell off. If you wanna keep him on as sideline reporter for gamedays fine but do not give him his own radio show or you will hemorrhage more listeners.

Yes, that's the thing. He can still work the games - Cooley does. I would describe 980 right now as having passable-to-good bookends. Galdi is very good in the morning and Czabe can irritate me, but he's certainly a professional and does a good job. Everything else (10-4) is filled with guys who should be seasonal, regular guests on legit shows...not the guys on the air all day. 

• Like 1

On 8/31/2018 at 1:15 PM, Warhead36 said:

They know what he's doing. They don't want. I already emailed them and asked for a heads up when they pull the plug on this trainwreck. They won't reply. I doubt there is even anybody managing the mailbox there.

Shame there aren't enough people who are fed up with this AND willing to put them on blast via twitter.

15 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Well, I was excited about The Athletic DC...

they got Mark Bullock breakdown though, he's damn good at breaking down film and plays. Paulsen might be a bridge too far

feel kinda bad for the guys at the Sports Capitol. I like Ben Standig and Todd Dybas, hard to see both sites co-existing

4 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

They know what he's doing. They don't want. I already emailed them and asked for a heads up when they pull the plug on this trainwreck. They won't reply. I doubt there is even anybody managing the mailbox there.

Shame there aren't enough people who are fed up with this AND willing to put them on blast via twitter.

I think the thing is, his act will be fine during football season when all the geriatric Redskins fans will call in and feed into his hysteria and old guy rants every Monday morning. But come March/April? Sayonara.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I think the thing is, his act will be fine during football season when all the geriatric Redskins fans will call in and feed into his hysteria and old guy rants every Monday morning. But come March/April? Sayonara.

I've thought of that...they may just have these guys in as place-holders now that 90% of sports radio in the area will focus on football for 4 months. And, unless this team jumps out of the gate, there will be plenty of people who do feed his "this wouldn't have happened with Coach Joe and our band of tarantulas" shtick. It's a perfectly reasonable hedge by the network. 

On 8/31/2018 at 1:21 PM, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Yes, that's the thing. He can still work the games - Cooley does. I would describe 980 right now as having passable-to-good bookends. Galdi is very good in the morning and Czabe can irritate me, but he's certainly a professional and does a good job. Everything else (10-4) is filled with guys who should be seasonal, regular guests on legit shows...not the guys on the air all day. 

I dont think the new management has any idea what they're doing in running a sports talk station.  The moves they're making dont scream an understanding of the market or audience.  They're vets of the radio business, in general, but not the sports radio business.

980 does need some new blood, but they're trotting out old names.  Chick, Koken, Knoche, Doc, Linn, etc.  If they're gonna try something new, try something new.  Not a bunch of retreads.  

Edited by justice98
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/4/2018 at 9:54 AM, Warhead36 said:

Old Redskins fans are actually the most annoying sports fans in D.C. They largely keep it from being a real sports town like Boston, and don't know how to not live in the 1980s. Snyder has been cashing in on them his entire time as owner.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Old Redskins fans are actually the most annoying sports fans in D.C. They largely keep it from being a real sports town like Boston, and don't know how to not live in the 1980s. Snyder has been cashing in on them his entire time as owner.

I don't disagree, but they are the people who make up most of the sports talk radio listening populace.

1 minute ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Czabe without taking calls is great. They said it's because of the new studio and setting things up. But man.... Never take calls. I don't care what other listeners think. Have more beat writers.

Thumbs down ×1000. I would never listen to a show with nothing but a host blabbering on and some beat person talking nonsense. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sticksboi05 said:

No. Fans like Jason Bishop: 9ers and Red Sox fan.