Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things Sports Talk Radio - DMV (met)

Zguy28

9 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

They have Andy early in the morning on Saturday and Thom Saturday plus sometimes with Dukes, it's not like they are on any important times. Some of the WTEM castoffs might get some weekend/night duty, but that's about it. 

Unfortunately, they wont replace that obnoxious fat ass Dukes. G&D are tolerable compared to that barely literate mouth-breather

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

This discussion of the latest going on at 980 makes me reminisce about when WTEM started back in '92...…..the offseason after the Skins won the SB.  Some of those notable shows included Kiley and the Coach ("We're gonna schwak 'em!!") and later Kiley and Booms.  According to Wiki, neither show lasted very long, but it must've been some fun radio......we weren't very far removed from the glory days and the angst over how the team fell must've been interesting. What shows on WTEM do you remember from the '90s?

5 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

This discussion of the latest going on at 980 makes me reminisce about when WTEM started back in '92...…..the offseason after the Skins won the SB.  Some of those notable shows included Kiley and the Coach ("We're gonna schwak 'em!!") and later Kiley and Booms.  According to Wiki, neither show lasted very long, but it must've been some fun radio......we weren't very far removed from the glory days and the angst over how the team fell must've been interesting. What shows on WTEM do you remember from the '90s?

I used to love 90's wtem even though I was a young buck back then. There was an overnight show hosted by a dude named Paul Nanos that was very good. 

Hurts me to see what the station has turned into :(

Edited by spjunkies

32 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Chuck Booms, now there's a name I havent heard in a while.

14 hours ago, hail2skins said:

980 has new schedule on their website. Not sure how permanent this is:

Galdi 6-10

Smoot 10-1

B-Mitch/Scott Linn  1-4

Czabe 4-7

Are they pairing smoot with anybody?  I thought I heard chick at one point and Koken at another.  Smoot can’t do it by himself.  

Also, if Kevin is out, I wonder if he petitions every radio station in Minnesota to be the personal Kirk Cousins coverage guy...

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Yikes. I think this is a skeleton crew while new ownership tries to figure out what they want to do. 

Seems like it...

Galdi is great and could probably do 8 hours, so those 4 hours are solid. Czaben has grown on me and the dynamic on that show is good, so the drive home is fine too. I think commutes are obviously critical. If there's a lull from 10-4 it's not ideal but it's the lesser of two evils.

I'm surprised they aren't pairing Smoot up with a longer-time radio guy (Doc or Linn or Sheehan). He's entertaining, but I feel like the show might quickly veer off in many directions. I have NO interest in the 1-4pm time slot. But I haven't liked anything midday in a long time. I hated Jackson, Mitchell, and Doc - it was just so dull to me. The only thing I liked about the Locker Room or John Thompson Show was JT himself. 

Smoot needs a solid, polished wingman to work. I liked him with Chick and Koken would be fine too. My only concern is, how is his 3 hours going to last after football season? During the season of those 3 hours you can easily kill at least 2 just talking football but what about next May? Can Smoot keep up with the Stanley Cup Playoffs? Because listening to Cooley talk Hockey or Baseball was painful.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Wow.

Can't wait to hear to hear some "You can't keep a huntin' dog chained up for too long.... Gotta let em roam free/Let em hunt." :ols:

That's exactly the kind of garbage he started with today to start his show, something like "YA GOTTA LET THE DOG OFF THE LEASH TO GO HUNT". I switched over to wjfk after like a minute of that lol.

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, thebluefood said:

More tough guy cliches, Doc! The people just can't get enough of 'em.

I heard about 5min of him. Either he's desperate and going too hard to his fall back comments. Or he's Bullworth'ing it. Because either way, that 5min was a train wreck. Read out the online poll about Peterson. Then contradicted himself a few times on his opinion. Then talked about AP like it was 5-10 years ago. Then screamed about toughness.

• Haha 3

33 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

I heard about 5min of him. Either he's desperate and going too hard to his fall back comments. Or he's Bullworth'ing it. Because either way, that 5min was a train wreck. Read out the online poll about Peterson. Then contradicted himself a few times on his opinion. Then talked about AP like it was 5-10 years ago. Then screamed about toughness.

Oh my God: who is their audience?! Who is listening to that and, without a trace of irony, thinking "this is insightful and thought provoking analysis on sports! This was a great use of my time."If you're going to have a talk show about any subject, you can't just fall back on the same cliches over and over again.

But then again, some of these programs go on for 3-4 hours and even a wretched motor mouth like myself cannot possibly talk coherently for that long. I used to be a disc jockey at a public radio station and by the final hour of my 9-12 slot, I was completely cooked (and mind you, I was a classical music disc jockey - I once played the entire Beethoven 5th Symphony and it damn near took up the whole hour). I have no idea how you could possibly do a talk show that was almost exclusively on a single topic, like sports. 

3 hours ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Only thing more sad and overall disturbing than that is Joey from Seat Pleasant listening to that and fist pumping and calling in, hyping up B Mitch and Doc,  meanwhile I've slipped into a coma. ?

I think I'm just ready for 980 to just become static.

#TolucaLakeRadio

• Haha 2