Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things Sports Talk Radio - DMV (met)

Zguy28

Wow, I like what I'm hearing. People are calling into Sheehan's show and saying Galdi's up there with Ken Beatrice. I don't know if I would go that high, but Galdi is the first host since Beatrice I've scheduled my day around and just had to catch his shows, whether its the 6AM shows, the 9-10, the 4-7, whenever, he's been the guy I had to catch. Other guys like Sheehan or Doc or Brian have been the et al. Thats why its been kinda good having Galdi at 9 because then I get Sheehan in the mornings and Mitchell at noon. Now I'm probably not going to listen to a podcast at 9 and will miss out on Mitchell as well. 

Honestly I'll probably just do text to speech on a bunch of news stories and the comments over the next few days. This is so frustrating. I thought Galdi was untouchable. 

• Like 1

As a guy that was a 980 loyalist and almost never listened to 106.7, DC sports talk is unrecognizable to me now.  There were pockets when I would dip in and out of 630 when Bram got his show and Carol Maloney had a show, I think. But it's been mostly 980 ever since college in the mid 90s when they were the only game in town.  I remember living in Los Angeles in the early 2000s, and streaming 980 was my connection back to DC sports.  

I'm kind of taken aback by Galdi's release.  I don't know what his ratings look like, but he sure seems to get caller participation that is both loyal and more diverse than I hear on other shows.  He can talk about most every sport, beyond the regular everyday joe sports fan talking points.  He is opinionated, but not over the top.  He really walks all the lines really well as for what you want out of a sports radio host.  I don't get it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I'm kind of taken aback by Galdi's release.  I don't know what his ratings look like, but he sure seems to get caller participation that is both loyal and more diverse than I hear on other shows.  He can talk about most every sport, beyond the regular everyday joe sports fan talking points.  He is opinionated, but not over the top.  He really walks all the lines really well as for what you want out of a sports radio host.  I don't get it.

Look at national media like ESPN and FoxSports.  Do they hold on to their reasonable talent with good and thoughtful takes?  Or do they retain and amplify the Stephen A Smiths and Skip Bayless and Colin Cowherds of the world?  

It's sad and stupid, but good takes don't sell.  Insane takes, screamed, do.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

40 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

I think the merger is complete next month. Wouldn't be shocked now to see Sheehan and Mitchell let go then. 

Sheehan would be fine with his podcast.  He and Galdi are rare in that they can carry solo shows.  

On 1/29/2021 at 8:21 AM, bearrock said:

Anyone have any suggestions for local and national sports podcasts?  After hearing Danny Rouhier saying he would trade Chase Young for Stafford, I have my fill for a while.

The only guy dumber than Danny Rouhier is Chad Dukes.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, just654 said:

I feel for Pete having to work with Russell. 

I think JP and BMitch might actually be pretty good. Need someone to take Bmitch down a level. 

I used to really like JP. Then he started doing a schtick with all his radio hits and it was less interesting. Why can't these guys look at Keim and see that when he does these radio spots, he's almost all about what he can confirm. Doesn't want to dabble in rumors, and will be clear to say "I'm not hearing anything like that". Might not be exciting but its trustworthy. 

1 minute ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

I used to really like JP. Then he started doing a schtick with all his radio hits and it was less interesting. Why can't these guys look at Keim and see that when he does these radio spots, he's almost all about what he can confirm. Doesn't want to dabble in rumors, and will be clear to say "I'm not hearing anything like that". Might not be exciting but its trustworthy. 

I get it. I think the issue is Keim is he is at ESPN and pretty much at the top of the beat. He has been at ESPN for like 20+ years. JP is still grinding, and sad to say hitting on rumors is what moves you up. I can see JPs schtick getting tired. I am just interested if JP can level out Bmitch. Bmitch hasnt really had anyone up to his level and he would run the show.  

4 minutes ago, just654 said:

I get it. I think the issue is Keim is he is at ESPN and pretty much at the top of the beat. He has been at ESPN for like 20+ years. JP is still grinding, and sad to say hitting on rumors is what moves you up. I can see JPs schtick getting tired. I am just interested if JP can level out Bmitch. Bmitch hasnt really had anyone up to his level and he would run the show.  

Hopefully it isn't like his short-lived show with Bram Weinstein where it quickly became awkward and uncomfortable once it was obvious BMitch had determined he couldn't stand Bram.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, just654 said:

I like BMitch. Well, he was terrible when COVID was hitting. He would allow these callers to go on with incorrect medicinal information and then get made at people on twitter for saying he shouldn't be doing that. Said everyone could have their opinion. It was dangerous. I just wish he would do two things. #1. Get professional training for speaking on the radio or TV. He still gets tongue tied too much. It's not easy. #2. Let somebody else "drive" the show. Maybe JP will do this. But as much as it was a mismatch. Scott Linn kept the trains running on time. You can't just stick non-radio people on shows and expect them to be able to multitask. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, just654 said:

I feel for Pete having to work with Russell. 

I think JP and BMitch might actually be pretty good. Need someone to take Bmitch down a level. 

This might actually be the best show106.7 have put together in a while...well, at least during football season. It'll be like the Czabe and Cooley show in 2016, when the Nats were brutlizing the division, and they were debating whether Nate Sudfeld was going to make the roster or not--for almost 90 mins.

20 minutes ago, stoshuaj said:

Oh my,Reese Waters has a great voice for  radio, overnight specifically but afternoon notsomuch.  

Did I miss BMitch getting re-assigned (it’s really hard to keep up these days) or did he get axed as well?

JP and Bmitch are 10-2 on 106.7 fan now.

I heard BMitch earlier today trying to argue with JP Finlay that being up by 8 points in the NFL is a 2 score game.

He then tried to say that because the XP is no longer a gimmie that means a 2pt conversion is damn sure not a gimmie.

So therefore you have to score a touchdown and a 2pt conversion so an 8pt game is a 2 score game.

By  his logic that would mean a 7pt game is also a 2 score game.

That's probably the dumbest thing I've ever heard on the radio in regards to football.