Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things Sports Talk Radio - DMV (met)

Zguy28

20 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Unfortunately, they're probably just going to simulcast whatever is on 106.7. The days of multiple choices are over.

I really don't understand the point of this.  I switched from 980 to 106.7 to begin with because of the horrible 980 reception.  What would 106.7 gain by putting out an inferior sound quality duplicate on 980?

• Like 1

I like Doc and I think him paired with Galdi was actually pretty decent, but I can see why they let him go. His schtick as angry old guy gets old after a while and he's pretty painful to listen to when not talking NFL(hell he's painful to listen to when talking NFL too at times with all his cliche crap).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

I listened to the last 5 minutes of the game in 980 yesterday and it was awful. Every aspect of it was awful. The production, the pacing, the content. 

I'm sure the lack of fan sound doesn't help the experience, but oof. 

I think the production value of the broadcast will improve whenever 106.7 gets involved, you know it will happen eventually. 

I realize it’s unfair to compare the new broadcast crew to the prior regime who had been at it for years, but...

Bram really stinks.

Larry apparently was a real POS, and a shameful homer, but he is/was much better at this than Bram is.

I’ve never liked Bram’s voice in any capacity, so he already had that going against him with me.

1 hour ago, TheDoyler23 said:

I listened to the last 5 minutes of the game in 980 yesterday and it was awful. Every aspect of it was awful. The production, the pacing, the content. 

I'm sure the lack of fan sound doesn't help the experience, but oof. 

I tuned in for a second and agree. It's hard to tell when something big is happening because the tone of the voices don't change

On 11/21/2020 at 1:42 PM, spjunkies said:

The Post published an update today. Looks like it will be the Al Galdi show for people who like that guy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/11/21/doc-walker-layoffs-team-nine-eighty/

On the Solly Linn Podcast, it sounds like a lot of 980 contracts are expiring soon still. The new owners don't "official" take ownership until Feb? So, this might be very temp, whatever they are doing. It also sounded like each new station owner was worse that the one before it. Urban One was worse than Red Zebra who was worse than yadda yadda yadda. 

1 minute ago, spjunkies said:

Damn, the old 980 owners must've been using junk equipment, you can already hear the audio quality improvement on the tunein app.

New owners have done more sportstalk than the old one. I also know Doc had a Mic for his laptop. But he consistently found a way to be using his laptop mic and not the professional one. I know they had to send somebody over to help him more than once. User error was an issue on that show with Galdi.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Heisenberg said:

Yeah, that new broadcast team is not working for me at all. Larry wasn't great and annoying at as far as being a homer, but the current crew doesn't sound like a crew for a professional team IMHO.

I am constantly amazed why these decisionmakers in sports don’t listen to fans on who they want. Most of the fans wanted Buck and Buck was down to do it. I guess Cooley wasn’t coming back regardless but no one wanted D Hall

• Like 2

1 minute ago, method man said:

I am constantly amazed why these decisionmakers in sports don’t listen to fans on who they want. Most of the fans wanted Buck and Buck was down to do it. I guess Cooley wasn’t coming back regardless but no one wanted D Hall

I don't get it either. I'm seeing it across the board in todays sports realm tho. "Go with the most cracked out, least popular name available, and see if it works"

30 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I don't get it either. I'm seeing it across the board in todays sports realm tho. "Go with the most cracked out, least popular name available, and see if it works"

Wiz are the same thing. Dumped Buck and Phil when no one else asked for that

• Like 1

But you guys are only looking at one side of the equation. Something these people COULD be looking at is the cost-benefit analysis. 

Take Buck and Phil for the Wizards. The decision-makers could have done tons of research that showed them they could have 90% of the viewership for 30% of the cost. If so, then there is more at play than simply "who do the fans want to hear" when they make these decisions. 

17 minutes ago, method man said:

Wiz are the same thing. Dumped Buck and Phil when no one else asked for that

Not only that, but dumped Buck for Justin Kutcher - a boring broadcaster whose Twitter likes that pop up on my feed make it clear he is an even more extreme version of Eric Bickel.