Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things Sports Talk Radio - DMV (met)

Zguy28

Why does 980 feel like an abandoned child. Its getting frustrating just from the point of the constant change. One thing about 106.7 is that they have stuck with the same content pretty much for a decade. Now that's changing with Dukes but even when Lavar left it wasn't a big change. Mike Wise leaving was big, but really they just replaced him with Holden and then Grant, right? But 980 is constantly reorganziing shows, changing content, changing ownership and for what? I remember around 2012 I was liking Cooley when he first debued with Czabe and Galdi but I think that was too many differing personalities and dominant people I wanted to hear. 

Right now I need somebody more exciting because from 9 - 12 its just dry voices no laughter and no joy. Brian is ok but just not my cup of tea for a long listen. We'll see what happens. 

Hopefully they find some radio personalities who have graduated this century or maybe even this decade? Maybe some recent players who offer a different opinion. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

But you guys are only looking at one side of the equation. Something these people COULD be looking at is the cost-benefit analysis. 

Take Buck and Phil for the Wizards. The decision-makers could have done tons of research that showed them they could have 90% of the viewership for 30% of the cost. If so, then there is more at play than simply "who do the fans want to hear" when they make these decisions. 

That's the problem tho, they approach it too much from the corporate angle, when in reality this is in service to the fans. 

I mean can they approach the fans halfway, at least?

3 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

That's the problem tho, they approach it too much from the corporate angle, when in reality this is in service to the fans. 

I mean can they approach the fans halfway, at least?

I think they might disagree about the bottom line :)

The fact remains that they won't provide that service to the fans if they don't make money doing so. 

On 11/23/2020 at 12:05 PM, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I realize it’s unfair to compare the new broadcast crew to the prior regime who had been at it for years, but...

Bram really stinks.

Larry apparently was a real POS, and a shameful homer, but he is/was much better at this than Bram is.

I’ve never liked Bram’s voice in any capacity, so he already had that going against him with me.

I'm going to disagree with you here. As much as I hated (and I mean despised) Bram's show (so much that I listened to Grant and Danny or random podcasts), but I like him on the radio. More than the random announcers we get on TV. They're still learning and they still stumble through things but Bram does a good job of telling me whats going on and that's all I ask for. Radio is difficult beacuse I want personality too like Buck and his Dagger but that comes secondary to just telling me things like down, distance, play and who was involved. 

I like that Hall is knowledgeable. Its interesting because there was talk about Talib on TV and I think Hall is a good comparison to him. He sometimes talks slangy or locker room talk that I have to do a double take on or he has to explain, but he's good at breaking down things and seeing things. I never liked Larry. I do miss stuff like Sonny calling the plays and predicting wins. But I think its good to give his insight and point of view.

I like them and they make it easier to listen to the games while I'm with my kids. 

• Like 1

I completely missed most of this because I a) never listen to 106.7 and b) am out of the county at the moment.  

My $.02:

Doc has been pointless for over a decade.  He knows almost nothing, he likes to talk about manhood issues, and he tried to be a bad knockoff version of Chris Berman in his prime with all the stupid nicknames.  Frankly, I’m glad he’s off air and I hope he enjoys retirement.  

This might be unpopular, but BMitch is now essentially useless.  He’s got an opinion and he twists himself in knots to try and make the facts fit his narrative.  He’s gotten annoying. 

I am sorry about Lynn.  I think he was a good Robin.  Just a pro who didn’t need the spotlight.  I think he’s going to be missed more than most rhink.  

Galdi getting the spot is good for now.  I like him.  But that’s not that sexy.  I like him a ton but I think he’s best when he’s paired with somebody else. 

To the broadcast team, I listened to my first radio broadcast on Sunday and I thought they did a pretty good job.  I like Bram, though admit he’s an acquired taste.  But he’s a fan’s fan, a lifer and a pro.  I think he does a good job keeping me informed as to what’s going on.  

I think Julie is there basically to be there. She doesn’t ass much to the broadcast.  I don’t dislike her role, I’ve always liked her as a reporter and host.  But I think they still need to figure out how to work together.  I’m not a fan of Hall.  Maybe it’s because I LOVED Cooley on the broadcast and Hall isn’t nearly as good yet.  We’ll see.

• Like 1

On the team radio broadcast. DHall needs to stop stepping on Bram.  He keeps trying to offer insight before Bram is done calling the play.  

Julie did it once or twice also.  They need to realize Bram tacks a sentence on to the call and just wait.

I am actually really starting to like Bram on the play by play.  But I thought Larry was just so meh and such a snake oil salesman I detested him from the get go. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, justice98 said:

BMitch is gonna be insufferable today trying to not seem as wrong on Haskins as he was.  He's gonna be so defensive, it might actually be entertaining.  lol

I saw him last night on the post game and he at least admitted "his time is not right now".  That was progress.

Ever since working from home, and my golf league season being over, I don't catch much sports talk radio anymore as I'm not out driving.  I gather that's a good thing.  I can pretty much predict most of the hosts opinions without even listening to them anyways.

3 hours ago, justice98 said:

BMitch is gonna be insufferable today trying to not seem as wrong on Haskins as he was.  He's gonna be so defensive, it might actually be entertaining.  lol

My problem w BMitch isn't so much that he was wrong, or that he hitched his wagon too long to a turd (although isn't he getting paid to bring some extra level of insight beyond random fanboy crap since after all, he played the game)

It's that he started to interject some sort of implied nefarious undertone to the discussion.  I'm not so naive to think that every person in the fanbase is wearing angel wings BUT, I damn sure think that the vast majority of the fanbase could not care less if the QB has polka dotted skin if can put up Ws.  

New 980 ownership putting Chris Russell solo in the 3pm spot is your signal that they don't really plan to keep both stations separate when the deal is completed. I know its a week that a lot take vacations. But this is a message to flip to 106.7 right now. We're going to use someone else who can't speak clearly for 3 hours. 

36 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Because he sucks.

I'm guessing it's just his national show they are putting in place right? 

are you referring to BMitch or Cowherd? (Or both?)

if CC, I’m thinking most of the angst around here is generated from his Sean Taylor stuff.  

I guess it’s national, I didn’t think CC still did anything considered a local show.  

5 minutes ago, stoshuaj said:

are you referring to BMitch or Cowherd? (Or both?)

if CC, I’m thinking most of the angst around here is generated from his Sean Taylor stuff.  

I guess it’s national, I didn’t think CC still did anything considered a local show.  

Cowherd sucks. 

BMitch I like just for being a homer.

I just don't like Cowherd because of his damn squirrelly voice mainly.  But he also has terrible takes so there is that.

Wasn’t it Cowherd the one that said John Wall can’t win because he doesn’t know his dad or something obscene like that?

Anyway, scrolling through YouTube last night I came across a video of his take the day after the 2017 draft saying John Lynch was one of the biggest winners because they took Solomon Thomas instead of a QB because that draft had no NFL QBs.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

I'm not sure what they're doing over there. I already thought G&D had too long a time slot and now they are moving to the second most important time of the day. Congrats to them but I have trouble believing there weren't better local options.

So what's happening between 10-2?

I'm glad they are now on in the afternoon cause if I end up going back to work, I won't have to hear them all day while working since they will be on when I leave.

• Like 1