Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things Sports Talk Radio - DMV (met)

Zguy28

52 minutes ago, Chachie said:

I didn't like him on tv but LOVE his radio show. He and his producer crack me up.

Yeah him and Anthony Haney have a good older/younger bro dynamic going on. He also has real good guests. Chris Baker was on today and he was fantastic.

Sheehan is still the best option in the morning, even though his show was so much better with Cooley.  The junkies are okay.  I can't get into Travis Thomas, just feel like its a different wave length.  if its past 9am i switch over to the Junkies.  What 980 did with its lineup really harmed drive-in and drive-home radio.  I don't know why anyone would listen to most of that crap, other than Sheehan who I'm sure will be looking elsewhere at his first opportunity.

• 3 weeks later...

Ugh. Decided a long time ago I did not like him. 

he seemed like the primary driver of “let’s rehash the same unintelligent hot takes for the umpteenth time because that’s what drives ratings”

to the point where you could basically hear lurch imply “if we’re doing this again I’m sitting it out because this is dumb. You guys can do it.”

Always felt like he was the primary person driving that show into the ground over the years. 

Just now, tshile said:

Ugh. Decided a long time ago I did not like him. 

he seemed like the primary driver of “let’s rehash the same unintelligent hot takes for the umpteenth time because that’s what drives ratings”

to the point where you could basically hear lurch imply “if we’re doing this again I’m sitting it out because this is dumb. You guys can do it.”

Always felt like he was the primary person driving that show into the ground over the years. 

EB and his stupid COVID & right wing talking points has really ruined the show the last few years. 

I don't mind JP. I can kinda see how his schtick could be annoying but to me all of them have a few traits that i can't stand its pick your poison to a degree.

of all the junkies EB is the only one that has made me change the station.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah my tastes have changed in who I liked like by a 180.

Initially JP was by far my least favorite and I liked EB/Lurch the most.  Cakes always was an outlier and he has always been enjoyable since I started listening.

But over the years EB's schtick and how negative he is about everything, then his covid/political takes the past 2 years completely put him over the edge.  He's basically a QAnon believer.  

And then Lurch would feed off of him politically and I couldn't take that either.  

JP is the only one who seems sane  out of  those 3 and I feel like he always got a bad rap and sometimes EB would try to belittle him too much, but he'd take it and roll with it.  Then if ANYONE fires up EB he curls up into a ball and starts crying like the big baby he is.

And again, Cakes is always great entertainment and knows his role very well in the show.

• Like 1

Well EB is as dumb as a box of rocks. Not gonna argue that.  I guess him and JP contribute to that whole hottake thing. 

you could hear lurch rolling his eyes when I quit listening. 

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

He's basically a QAnon believer.  

I find this not surprising at all 

• 1 month later...
26 minutes ago, Florgon79 said:

Craig Heist, who does a lot of the sports break reports during the day, butchers it every single time. Dude is terrible. 

He was awful today as Travis Thomas's replacement. Speaking of which, I've grown to really like Trav. I think he and Anthony Haney have a great raport and they could be a flagship local radio show for the next generation.

The rest of 980 is god awful. Reese Waters literally makes me fall asleep and nobody likes Chris Russel.

Soon as it hits noon I hit the Pat McAfee show on Youtube. Best radio show/podcast out right now.

Edited by Warhead36

Grant, last week the Cowboys let the WFT back into a game by throwing the ball up 2 TDs with less than 5 minutes left when Rivera was showing no inclination to stop the clock.  Yesterday was similar, as they were again up two TD with about 9 minutes left and Dak gets stripped of the ball deep in his own territory.

This guy is an idiot.

Edited by hail2skins
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, purbeast said:

That was Craig Hoffman lol.

Craig Heist I believe is the guy who sounds like he has marbles in his mouth when he talks.

Yeah. Heist struggles with updates. 

To be honest. These are the dark ages of DC sportstalk. There is no go-to show. No must hear hosts. 106.7 going with 4 hour shows back to back to back when all could be 2-3 tops. It's bleak. Every show on that station is upgradable. 980 has become the JV not in the rotation station. 

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, spjunkies said:

Damn it, Travis Thomas is off to Boston. Nobody ever sticks around anymore 😔

That's shocking to me - his show sucks, and the only redeemable factor are his roots to DC.  Not sure what's so great about him, a radio station in Boston would offer him enough money to pick up and move there for a gig.  Wild.

8 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

That's shocking to me - his show sucks, and the only redeemable factor are his roots to DC.  Not sure what's so great about him, a radio station in Boston would offer him enough money to pick up and move there for a gig.  Wild.

I didn't like him at first but he's grown on me. He's energetic and passionate. He also has a list of regular callers that call in basically every day so there are a bunch of inside joke type stuff. 

Sucks he's leaving. Wonder who they get to replace him in the 9-12 slot. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, justice98 said:

With Travis Thomas leaving, I wouldn't mind Galdi back on 980 in that slot.  Maybe he wouldn't want it, he should be on the air somewhere other just just his podcast.  I can't do Scott Jackson and these fill-ins.

I don’t know too much about the industry.  Could Galdi make as much with his two podcasts instead of working at the station?  His podcasts are quite excellent.

5 hours ago, justice98 said:

With Travis Thomas leaving, I wouldn't mind Galdi back on 980 in that slot.  Maybe he wouldn't want it, he should be on the air somewhere other just just his podcast.  I can't do Scott Jackson and these fill-ins.

Yeah, the dude in this morning was a tough listen. 

19 hours ago, Ball Security said:

I don’t know too much about the industry.  Could Galdi make as much with his two podcasts instead of working at the station?  His podcasts are quite excellent.

Before Solly let, he wasn't shy about how bad the pay at 980 is. Who owns them and 106.7 now? Audacy? Between the two stations they still don't have enough quality shows to fill from 6am to 7am daily. Nobody should have a 4 hour show. Grant and Danny take about 90min of original material and cut it with baking soda to stretch into 4 hours. I think if nobody would every find out, Brian Mitchell would like to punch JP in the face. The Junkies sound like reruns from 1998. Sheehan needs a co-host. I think along he struggles.

Galdi has his Nats podcast with Mark Z that I think is pretty good. I half expected the Nats to hire them to do it an Offical Podcast for them. ****, with Galdi. He could do a daily official for whatever team is in season. He can talk Baseball, Hockey, Football and Hoops. 

980/106.7 just need to get a better lined and simulcast it.