Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things Sports Talk Radio - DMV (met)

Zguy28

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Redskins Diehard said:

He's too much of a clown for me to listen to anything he has to say. 

I will listen to him but every time I see him on TV talking, there is just something about him that bothers me lol.  It just has to be because of hearing all his stupid ass one liners and cliches for years while he was here.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, justice98 said:

Seems weird to have Gruden on the Rams payroll and doing weekly hits on DC radio about the Commanders. 

He talks about the league in general. It is kinda weird, but I don't think he works full time with the Rams. Its just a part time consulting gig. Probably just McVay doing his former boss and buddy Gruden a solid getting him a paycheck for doing next to nothing(which is basically all consulting is).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

LMAO this dude called into 980 and is a season ticket holder and so is his buddy, and his buddy won the Jacksonville 50/50 raffle.  

Well he just received the check this past week and went to deposit it and it bounced.

It was over $14k.

Russel and Pete were getting his and his buddies information so don't be surprised if you see this story get out there today lol.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

I don't listen to him too often, but Craig Hoffman comes off as way too smug and arrogant. I didn't mind him too much as a beat dude, but he has a long ways to go as a host.

Yeah I don't like him much.

The guy I do really like is Pete Medhurst, Chris Russel's co-host. He's articulate, passionate, knowledgable, basically everything you can ask for.

On the flip side, Russel can be painful to listen to. He's constantly forgetting names and facts or mumbling/stumbling over his words. He also gets unreasonably loud out of nowhere and will fight/argue with callers(admittedly some of them can be absolute morons but still).

• Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

I don't listen to him too often, but Craig Hoffman comes off as way too smug and arrogant. I didn't mind him too much as a beat dude, but he has a long ways to go as a host.

He does a podcast with Logan Paulsen that has some potential, but he doesn’t let the guy talk.  I watched one on YouTube that was about 30 minutes long and the split must have been like 22/8.  Topics are good, questions are good, but let the expert answer.

50 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah I don't like him much.

The guy I do really like is Pete Medhurst, Chris Russel's co-host. He's articulate, passionate, knowledgable, basically everything you can ask for.

On the flip side, Russel can be painful to listen to. He's constantly forgetting names and facts or mumbling/stumbling over his words. He also gets unreasonably loud out of nowhere and will fight/argue with callers(admittedly some of them can be absolute morons but still).

The one thing I used to love about sports talk radio was the callers and the number of unique opinions we'd get. Its honestly what brought me to places like here and tsn. But now those shows are bombarded with like the same 10 callers who have ongoing arguments for like 3 years from different shows and different locations. They're talking about stuff that nobody knows about and they scream at each other. Its so annoying. And when Russel is involved, its much worse. 

1 hour ago, spjunkies said:

THIS!

And not just on radio, but on Twitter as well. He tried to get on me about using the word "we" in a tweet. I'm not going to ban him for this but he's definitely not high on my listen to list. Even my least liked guys like Russel aren't this smug. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

The one thing I used to love about sports talk radio was the callers and the number of unique opinions we'd get. Its honestly what brought me to places like here and tsn. But now those shows are bombarded with like the same 10 callers who have ongoing arguments for like 3 years from different shows and different locations.

Growing up in Philly in the late 70s and early 80s, what I'd like is the solo sports talk host (like Beatrice was here for a long time) who would take plenty of calls and who were well versed across all the sports and would discuss whatever sport that particular caller would want to discuss. Today you have multiple hosts per show who spend the whole show arguing with each other and the shows are so structured that they talk about Topic A for 20 minutes and then move onto Topic B. And Topics A thru Z are almost all NFL related.

6 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Growing up in Philly in the late 70s and early 80s, what I'd like is the solo sports talk host (like Beatrice was here for a long time) who would take plenty of calls and who were well versed across all the sports and would discuss whatever sport that particular caller would want to discuss. Today you have multiple hosts per show who spend the whole show arguing with each other and the shows are so structured that they talk about Topic A for 20 minutes and then move onto Topic B. And Topics A thru Z are almost all NFL related.

Yeah, Ken Beatrice raised me in Sports Radio. I long for a host like him. Now everything is so much gimmicks and bits. Sometimes I'll listen just cause I have nothing else to listen to and I hate silence, but I have started listening to audiobooks over a lot of these shows because they're just not worth it to me, especially if its just going to put me in a bad mood. I may get frustrated by a bad book but it won't put me in a bad mood. 

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

The one thing I used to love about sports talk radio was the callers and the number of unique opinions we'd get. Its honestly what brought me to places like here and tsn. But now those shows are bombarded with like the same 10 callers who have ongoing arguments for like 3 years from different shows and different locations. They're talking about stuff that nobody knows about and they scream at each other. Its so annoying. And when Russel is involved, its much worse. 

THIS!

And not just on radio, but on Twitter as well. He tried to get on me about using the word "we" in a tweet. I'm not going to ban him for this but he's definitely not high on my listen to list. Even my least liked guys like Russel aren't this smug. 

I really hate the people who like to jump on other people who use the term "we". Basically, they don't have a team and don't have anyone else that they feel passionate enough to root for.

4 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

The one thing I used to love about sports talk radio was the callers and the number of unique opinions we'd get. Its honestly what brought me to places like here and tsn. But now those shows are bombarded with like the same 10 callers who have ongoing arguments for like 3 years from different shows and different locations.

Not even just that, but then you hear the same callers several times a day calling into every show.  980 has a good 3-4 people that do this every single day.

19 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Not even just that, but then you hear the same callers several times a day calling into every show.  980 has a good 3-4 people that do this every single day.

Its like they're either unemployed or they are getting a check to call in and sit on hold to comment on whatever is the topic. 

Long ago, back in the Beatrice days and a little after, I was a caller but I didn't have a personality I would just call in and ask a question and take the answer off the air. I think I won some tickets to a Wizards game from Kevin and Rock. But these shows are just looking to battle callers and especially the norms. 

So I have taken the position that I will roundly disagree with EB on the Junkies, and so far, it's been working out. But lately, wow, I have no idea where he gets his sources from?

• Said the other day Josh Harris is out on the Commanders sale.
  • Said this morning that there are whispers the Commanders weren't going to pick up Young's 5th year option.

On top of that, he said Rizzo should quit as GM of the Nats because they're going to be bad this year (never mind they're the 11th ranked minors organization with the youngest average age in MLB), his constant haranguing on Wentz even when it was clear he was a bust. Seriously, this guy is making Colin Cowherd look rational and informed.

• Like 1