Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things Sports Talk Radio - DMV (met)

Zguy28

18 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I'm fairly certain a number of the callers in the mornings are already drunk

Makes sense. If I've got work to go to, the last thing I'm thinking about is calling into a sports station.

If I'm totally unemployed and living off the Man, fanning my junk in a blinky light motel, the last thing I'm thinking about is calling into a sports station

The thing is its the exact same people on every show. Paulie. Sabahz. etc. There are a couple that aren't bad, but most of them are complete buffoons.

The worst is when Chris Russell deliberately picks the callers he has beefs with and then they just spend the entire segment yelling at each other. Its like yeah, dude, this is NOT entertaining or compelling radio. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

This is the junkyard dogg!!!

Roof roof roof 🐶

There's also that one random Bengals fan who calls in. It's like dude you're team isn't even in the same CONFERENCE as ours, get a hold of your life. But in fairness he's actually not terrible.

• Haha 2

Got in the car a little after 4 today and heard Hoffman perform a masterclass on everything wrong with the Wizards. He had everything from stats to comments from players, Sheppard, the works. It wasn't even cruel or snippy in the way he delivered it. Enough emotion without the snark.

https://www.audacy.com/stations/theteam980/shows/the-hoffman-show-7752a/episodes/9aecb33bbd33

Everything up to the calls was pretty good. 

On 4/9/2023 at 5:09 PM, Warhead36 said:

There's also that one random Bengals fan who calls in. It's like dude you're team isn't even in the same CONFERENCE as ours, get a hold of your life. But in fairness he's actually not terrible.

too funny.   

Dunno if this has been mentioned but there was this guy who would call in to the Lavar and Dukes show with scripted takes and recite them like a 4 paragraph monologue.  If memory serves he was a. "Marcus from Ft. Washington" and would say his schpleel then hang up and wait for their takes on it probably with his pants around his ankles.  lol

reminded me of that 2009 flick "Big Fan" where Patton Oswald was the same type of radio caller and he and his friend would celebrate his calls after his rants were on the radio.  Dark comedy but interesting into the minds of such fanatics.

I tried to give the Junkies a chance, just cant do it.  I'd never really listened to them regularly before.  Occasionally when they would be simulcast on NBC Sports Washington, I would watch for a few minutes when something big happened Redskin related. Like a xouple.minutes at a time. But whatever the demo is for this show, I'm not in it.  lol  It feels like an FM radio, morning drive, classic rock show that occasionally talks about sports.   Where I would normally listen to Sheehan 6-9, I just find something else that's not the Junkies.

55 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I tried to give the Junkies a chance, just cant do it.  I'd never really listened to them regularly before.  Occasionally when they would be simulcast on NBC Sports Washington, I would watch for a few minutes when something big happened Redskin related. Like a xouple.minutes at a time. But whatever the demo is for this show, I'm not in it.  lol  It feels like an FM radio, morning drive, classic rock show that occasionally talks about sports.   Where I would normally listen to Sheehan 6-9, I just find something else that's not the Junkies.

Yeah same. This morning I was driving my wife to the airport and I have no idea what they were talking about but it certainly wasn't sports related.

I don't mind the occasional off topic stuff, but its better when its a compliment to normal sports talk. Otherwise its just sheer non sense.

I like Sheehan in the 10-1 slot but I feel like he needs someone opposite him. He's a smart guy and a good speaker but is kind of boring and mundane when he's by himself. I actually liked when he used to do the show with guys like Doc and Cooley. The nerd and the former athlete makes for better radio.

• Like 2

Most of DC sports radio is unlistenable. I tolerate the Junkies because they're familiar--but EB is just a moron. This whole narrative everyone on that station runs with that the Nats just sold everyone off quicker than anyone has ever done ever is so annoyingly false.

37 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

my rule is when I turn it on, are they talking about sports? If they aren't in the 1st 30 seconds, click.

Example: Ran up to the post office yesterday and turned on 106.7. They were talking about eating the dyed easter eggs. Click.

I used to play this game with Lavar and Dukes and more recently with Grant and Danny. I would listen until they said something painfully stupid. Lavar never made it past 30 seconds. G&D made it a whole 5 minutes. If they were doing "Winning off the Field" it was an automatic click.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't mind the occasional off topic stuff, but its better when its a compliment to normal sports talk.

I mean, that IS what it is.

They will have like 2-3 segments a day about non-sports stuff, out of like 10-12 segments.

One of them is just a daily thing too - the EP (Entertainment Page).

But I do get why people wouldn't like them.  It also depends who is on there and who is talking.

18 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I used to play this game with Lavar and Dukes and more recently with Grant and Danny. I would listen until they said something painfully stupid. Lavar never made it past 30 seconds. G&D made it a whole 5 minutes. If they were doing "Winning off the Field" it was an automatic click.

The whole "winning off the field" bit is so annoying and yep, I turn it off too.  I mean that was what, like 10 years ago when Bruce Allen said that?  I bet there are tons of listeners that have no clue where that even comes from.

Grant and Danny is literally the only radio show I've ever rage quit.  And I've done it a lot.

Edited by purbeast
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, purbeast said:

One of them is just a daily thing too - the EP (Entertainment Page).

that's fine. A set daily thing. Whatever. I think Czabe used to do a "what's on tonight?" that was a mix of sports and shows.....at the end of his show. Talking about if you should or shouldn't eat the dyed easter eggs? Really? I'd rather hear about local college sports from someone covering Maryland Lacrosse or Baseball for 10min. 

4 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

that's fine. A set daily thing. Whatever. I think Czabe used to do a "what's on tonight?" that was a mix of sports and shows.....at the end of his show. Talking about if you should or shouldn't eat the dyed easter eggs? Really? I'd rather hear about local college sports from someone covering Maryland Lacrosse or Baseball for 10min. 

Yeah that's one of the other 1-2 I was talking about.  And I mean it was easter the day before.  They will talk about holidays and stuff when it is that time of year just like any show does.

They have 3+ other hours to talk about Baseball since there is really nothing else local sports to talk about right now since Wiz and Caps are out, and it's Commanders offseason.

• 1 month later...

Can 980 please put on another morning show? I've tried giving the junkies a fair shot to win me back, but they are unlistenable these days with the constant whining about how dangerous cities are and how hard it is for spoiled millionaires to live life.

Uggh

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spjunkies said:

Can 980 please put on another morning show? I've tried giving the junkies a fair shot to win me back, but they are unlistenable these days with the constant whining about how dangerous cities are and how hard it is for spoiled millionaires to live life.

Uggh

I was wondering if anyone else was tuned in when they did that. It must have gotten bad too cause they used the 30 second promo cut off by the end of the segment lol. Like these dudes are full blown New York and DC will kill you conservatives and its kind of hilarious. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

I was wondering if anyone else was tuned in when they did that. It must have gotten bad too cause they used the 30 second promo cut off by the end of the segment lol. Like these dudes are full blown New York and DC will kill you conservatives and its kind of hilarious. 

It depends which one is speaking.

EB went full RW nut job during covid and has gone off the deep end.  Lurch agrees with him most of the time but usually keeps quiet.  Cakes kind of plays the background on that stuf.  But JP will call EB out every time he says stupid **** and that is when the radio is the best lol.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, spjunkies said:

Uggh

It's bad. Audacy is being as cheap as the previous owners. 

• Sad 1