Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things Sports Talk Radio - DMV (met)

Zguy28

6 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

So I have taken the position that I will roundly disagree with EB on the Junkies, and so far, it's been working out. But lately, wow, I have no idea where he gets his sources from?

• Said the other day Josh Harris is out on the Commanders sale.
  • Said this morning that there are whispers the Commanders weren't going to pick up Young's 5th year option.

On top of that, he said Rizzo should quit as GM of the Nats because they're going to be bad this year (never mind they're the 11th ranked minors organization with the youngest average age in MLB), his constant haranguing on Wentz even when it was clear he was a bust. Seriously, this guy is making Colin Cowherd look rational and informed.

I don’t like him and he knows nothing about baseball.  But was consistent in saying last summer that Young’s injury was more severe than the team was letting on and he wouldn’t be back until November (when the thought was he’s be back week 3 or week 4).  So I do think he has a Commanders source. I think he gets fed solid information. I don’t believe he can analyze what he sees and hears effectively. I’d imagine there’d be some discussion of Young’s fifth year contract.  It’s not a no brainer with his injury.  But at the end of the day, they should and likely will pick it up.

• Like 1

it feels like the guys who host shows have the worst inside information, or they run with information from a not so great source so it can fill a few segments on their shows. If all they talked about was something they did digging on and found something to back it up, or suggest it could be possible. All shows about be an hour and sound like John Keim instead of JP Finley. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2023 at 9:15 AM, spjunkies said:

I don't listen to him too often, but Craig Hoffman comes off as way too smug and arrogant. I didn't mind him too much as a beat dude, but he has a long ways to go as a host.

I started listening to his podcast with Paulsen recently and he does have a sharp opinion. Big props to him for taking Tommy Sheppard to town. No one in the media holds the Wizards accountable in interviews. You either have stooges like Chris Miller who work for Ted and NBCSW or guys like Sheehan who have blinders on for guys they have personal relationships with

• Like 1

7 hours ago, method man said:

I started listening to his podcast with Paulsen recently and he does have a sharp opinion. Big props to him for taking Tommy Sheppard to town. No one in the media holds the Wizards accountable in interviews. You either have stooges like Chris Miller who work for Ted and NBCSW or guys like Sheehan who have blinders on for guys they have personal relationships with

Yup.  That interview with Tommy was so refreshing.  No one from the clown organization Wizards has been asked any tough questions except from David Aldridge at the Johnny Davis press conference.  Aldridge asked (I'm paraphrasing here) Leonsis why anyone should trust in his judgment.  Leonsis responded with the success of his e-gaming team.  Josh Robbins (who works for Aldridge at the Athletic and covers the Wizards) has repeatedly requested interviews with Leonsis and his team has never responded to him.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, method man said:

I like Hoffman. If anything he sounds young, not smug. He does the jokingly putting yourself down think that doesn't make him smug. In general I don't love one-person shows so it would be nice if he had a real cohost and not his engineer guy on in chunks. 

4 hours ago, spjunkies said:

Is there a bigger phoney in sports than this guy?

Do you say that because he left the DC market to go to the Milwaukee market? I'm not sure how old Czabe's children are....maybe that's the reason he still resides in the DC area (and I can't see him really digging winters in Wisconsin either). But there are likely numerous instances of people who change markets. Andy Pollin says he worked in Dallas and NY before returning to DC to help start WTEM in the early 90s. But I don't want Czabe crawling back to the Skins if they get good again.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hail2skins said:

Do you say that because he left the DC market to go to the Milwaukee market? I'm not sure how old Czabe's children are....maybe that's the reason he still resides in the DC area (and I can't see him really digging winters in Wisconsin either). But there are likely numerous instances of people who change markets. Andy Pollin says he worked in Dallas and NY before returning to DC to help start WTEM in the early 90s. But I don't want Czabe crawling back to the Skins if they get good again.

Trust me I get jumping to a different market, makes sense. My beef with that tool is he went from supposedly being a DC sports fan all the way to being some lifelong Wisconsin sports fan. 

Just comes off as completely disingenuous. 

A lot of sportstalkers struggled during the pandemic. But Czabe surprisingly to me, more than most. His politics bled into his takes o 0n playing or not playing, and I wouldn't be shocked if a lot of folks tuned him out. I did, and at one time I really liked the shows with him and the whole gang. 

He's got a job talking in Wisconsin. I don't blame him for focusing on the teams in that region. Scott Linn is a Philly sports guy who would talk DC sports all the time. The hat that looks brand new to go on something with their fans. Makes sense to me. 

Sportstalk doesn't pay great. That's why locally we have maybe the worst cumulative lineups since it became a thing. 

• Like 1

Odd. I don’t feel like that’s how he talks at all. His later interview on Sheehans show (last week I think) he specifically talked about the difficulties that came up not being a lifelong fan. 

He was doing radio with friends in Milwaukee for years. Like… a long long time. He was supposed to go to a new show with them in Milwaukee when 980 fell apart. Something happened with that and he wound up with his own show instead. 

I’m not saying anyone needs to like him or think he’s good but I don’t know why you’d think he’s a phony.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tshile said:

Odd. I don’t feel like that’s how he talks at all. His later interview on Sheehans show (last week I think) he specifically talked about the difficulties that came up not being a lifelong fan. 

He was doing radio with friends in Milwaukee for years. Like… a long long time. He was supposed to go to a new show with them in Milwaukee when 980 fell apart. Something happened with that and he wound up with his own show instead. 

I’m not saying anyone needs to like him or think he’s good but I don’t know why you’d think he’s a phony.

It's been 5+ years since I've listened to him on a consistent basis so my memory could definitely be failing me. I just remember him being a "DC sports fan" so seeing him rocking that GB hat rubs me the wrong way. Of course I'm not asking him to wear a Football Team hat in Wisconsin, but you don't have to completely suck up to them. 

If I'm wrong on the DC fan part, my apologies. On the other hand I just don't like the bloke 😝 

Czabe was born and raised local. I think he grew up a local fan. But he did work in other markets before here and let's be honest. The job of the host is to be able to talk about the teams the listeners care about. Not force their hometown teams on different markets. That means he probably watches a ton of their teams now and without a DC show, a lot less of our teams. 

Again, the hat looks like it was just handed to him to put on with the helmet he's holding. Neither he probably touched before. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Radio is weird, 980 apparently got rid of Pete Medhurst and somehow Chris Russell got a solo gig in the morning. 

Terrible decision. Medhurst was the reason that show was worth listening to. Russell is annoying and is constantly mumbling and forgetting things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CobraCommander said:

Solo sports radio is brutal imo. Just one guy talking to himself for hours. I can't do it. 

I don't mind it if you get the right guy. I think the only local guy that could is Galdi. I actually really liked Travis but they let him go.

• Like 1

These solo guy shows are all they can afford.

On 2/20/2023 at 8:05 AM, mhd24 said:

Yup.  That interview with Tommy was so refreshing.  No one from the clown organization Wizards has been asked any tough questions except from David Aldridge at the Johnny Davis press conference.  Aldridge asked (I'm paraphrasing here) Leonsis why anyone should trust in his judgment.  Leonsis responded with the success of his e-gaming team.  Josh Robbins (who works for Aldridge at the Athletic and covers the Wizards) has repeatedly requested interviews with Leonsis and his team has never responded to him.

Why would he when he has his propaganda sports network in NBCS? :(

Hope that thing fails 

1 hour ago, spjunkies said:

Radio is weird, 980 apparently got rid of Pete Medhurst and somehow Chris Russell got a solo gig in the morning. 

Guys like Russell and Doc Walker are probably the lowest-paid guys on either station, so they keep them. 

Sportstalk in DC has been dying since before the pandemic.

1 hour ago, spjunkies said:

Wait he's gone for good?  I was listening earlier and heard it was Russell himself but thought it was Pete on vacation or something.

I like Russell with other people but by himself he can be tough to listen to.

EDIT:

According to audacy he's not gone.

https://www.audacy.com/podcast/russell-medhurst-b96bf

Edited by purbeast

34 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Wait he's gone for good?  I was listening earlier and heard it was Russell himself but thought it was Pete on vacation or something.

I like Russell with other people but by himself he can be tough to listen to.

EDIT:

According to audacy he's not gone.

https://www.audacy.com/podcast/russell-medhurst-b96bf

He's still with the station in limited capacity, but 100% gone from the morning show according to Chris. 

11 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

He's still with the station in limited capacity, but 100% gone from the morning show according to Chris. 

Oh damn I didn't catch him say that.

Yeah he was great on there and kept Russell in check.

• Sad 1

Man, if I had my afternoon drive radio show, I’d have a whole segment of just hanging up on hockey fans. 

“It’s Spiff on the 4pm hour taking you home on this Friday afternoon, opening up the lines and let’s hear what you want to discuss. Caller one!”

”The Caps-“

*click*

”Next caller!”

”Ovi is-“

*click*

”Caller number three, what’s on your mind?” 

“Hock-“

*click*

“Caller number four, let’s go!”

”The Stanley Cu-“

*click*

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Man, if I had my afternoon drive radio show, I’d have a whole segment of just hanging up on hockey fans. 

“It’s Spiff on the 4pm hour taking you home on this Friday afternoon, opening up the lines and let’s hear what you want to discuss. Caller one!”

”The Caps-“

*click*

”Next caller!”

”Ovi is-“

*click*

”Caller number three, what’s on your mind?” 

“Hock-“

*click*

“Caller number four, let’s go!”

”The Stanley Cu-“

*click*

I'd do this bit but with hockey player interviews instead. 

"Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome Carl Hagelin on the show"

"Thanks for ha-"

*click*

Those hockey players interviews are the worst. 

• Haha 1