Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Potential Trade Partners if Mariota Falls

emor09

1. You currently have two QBs on your roster that could be the long-term solution for the team, with one potentially being able to re-attain that superstar status.

2. As a franchise, you have focused on QBs in the 1st round over the last 2 decades and it has yet to work.

3. You have failed to build a TEAM through the draft. It has failed.

4. You have a new GM who has experience/tends to draft mid-round players and wait until one is a "hit" v. going all-in on an early round talent.

5. This team has a TON of holes all over the roster, and believe it or not, QB is far from the "worst" position.

6. Drama ... we don't want it. We are sick of it. Drafting Mariota = drama

I just can't possibly fathom how anyone can look at our roster and say 'DRAFT A DEVELOPMENTAL QB!" ... we have one guy with one more year who could potentially be our future at QB and if he sucks to start off the season we have a back-up that many think is capable of being a quality starter. Explain to me how it is logical to draft a developmental QB when you have two options in-house plus so many needs elsewhere?

Plus, let's not forget that we might be able to parlay Mariota into multiple picks this year and in the future. Not only to build the team, but accelerate the build through the draft mentality. 

What if you can get 1-3 this year from Philly and 1-3 next year for Mariota and RGIII regains 2012 form? Then what?

I would say there's just as much of a chance that RGIII regains 75-80% of his 2012 form and leads this team as the future and franchise going forward, as there is for the Mariota to develop into a Top 5-10 QB. 

1.  Neither has demonstrated that they are a "solution" and one of them hasn't demonstrated that he's "long-term"

2.  Really don't understand your point.  The Redskins haven't focused on the QB position but if you think so ... fine,  The only focused on a top 10 QB once and got the wrong one.

3.  When did the Redskins attempt to build a team through the draft?  Do you mean since Shanahan arrived?  Succeed or fail he said it would take years and it hasn't had years yet.

4.  Using your first round pick isn't exactly going "all in"  The new GM says its all about best available with a memory of what's needed.  the Skins need almost everything so I don't see need as a limiting function.  Best available ... could be a QB especially considering the impact a top tier QB can have.  And re the 2 existing QBs ... before you say it ... neither has demonstrated they are top tier in the past 2 seasons so they aren't making the QB position a position where the Skins don't have a need.

5.  Yes and no ... its probably not the most wanting position but its not that far away if your goal is to make the playoffs.  Safety comes to mind as does RT but after that there are servicable if not particularly good options on the roster and realistic starters later in the draft or as FAs

6.  Really?  drafting the best player on the board = drama but passing on him and trading down doesn't?  I think its going to be drama either way if he's on the board ... so not a factor.

Long history of good teams built throught the draft where the guiding principle is draft best available.  The only reason to trade down is if you think the best available can be had later ... and you think you can arrange to get them with a trade.

Long history of good teams built throught the draft where the guiding principle is draft best available.  The only reason to trade down is if you think the best available can be had later ... and you think you can arrange to get them with a trade.

Obviously, the best available, won't be available next time you pick as if you trade down, the one with whom you're trading will pick him as BPA at your spot.

Which would require everyone to have the same big board, which never happens, and BPA or draft for needs are non existent in fact. Both are tightly related and goes hand in hand.

It's actually a little bit mixed because of the picks they gave up to move up to get him at #2, thus knowing they have to be patient to get the return on their investment. His rookie season is still fresh in some minds & after 2 injuried seasons they'd like see if he can come anywhere near it again. 

And that's a real part of our dilemma---the matter of what we may "want" to "settle" for, which may (likely IMV) be less (quite possibly notably so) than we envisioned and "paid for." It's not about blaming games ("It's The Redskins as a whole! It's Mike! It's Kyle! It's Haslett! It's Jay! It's Robert!") for me as much as just being pragmatic. I have zero emotional investment at this point in RG3 or Kirk. Many seem to still have either the fanboy-style "belief/love/hope" or are desperation-driven to hold on to the dream of that long-denied unicorn of a franchise qb---an endless Redskins quest that briefly seemed like it may be finally realized in '12. 

It's very hard to shake all that off. And for some of the guys in the FO, and many of the fans, the cost of acquisition is an influencing factor. It  all adds up to make a number of folks want to wring every possible drop out of the fruit before discarding. And I think we should.

Many others just don't see RG3 or Kirk as worth much at all beyond "a bust or maybe ok with the best support" (Rg3) or "doomed to back-up at best"m (KC), but we have no evidence or even strong suggestion that we're shipping out either, let alone both. 

Right now, I am willing to trust that Scot is more competent in forming well-considered long-term and short-term moves and creatively evaluating smart options than anyone the org has had in a long time. I am hoping he and Jay work well together. If Jay has as good a head for pro football as much of the evidence* suggests, that would sure be a huge benefit, but if not, he can be replaced soon enough.

*I know that almost any form of positive comments re: Jay are rare on ES and doesn't fly with many here, including most of our more vigorous opinionaters™, but I don't hold with the "Jay just sucks" folks at this point. I like to occasionally note that on one hand we "all agree" that the ultimate yardstick is w's & l's, but on the other hand, Jay, with all the mess he acquired (including Rg3 being injured yet again and Haslett still in charge) doesn't seem to get any credit for winning one more game in his rookie HC year in this effed up outfit then his two-time Superbowl winning predecessor did. That's not some big refutation of criticisms against Jay, it's just another reminder of how much that is written on this board doesn't bear close scrutiny.

Good thing we're all just in it for the fun!  :P

Self_destructive_by_Ivefeldt.jpg

*I know that almost any form of positive comments re: Jay are rare on ES and doesn't fly with many here, including most of our more vigorous opinionaters™, but I don't hold with the "Jay just sucks" folks at this point. I like to occasionally note that on one hand we "all agree" that the ultimate yardstick is w's & l's, but on the other hand, Jay, with all the mess he acquired (including Rg3 being injured yet again and Haslett still in charge) doesn't seem to get any credit for winning one more game in his rookie HC year in this effed up outfit then his two-time Superbowl winning predecessor did. That's not some big refutation of criticisms against Jay, it's just another reminder of how much that is written on this board doesn't bear close scrutiny.

Good thing we're all just in it for the fun!  :P

Jumbo

I remain confident in Gruden's ability to be a winning coach.  The truth is he needs better players which starts with a competent GM which he now has.  He seems to be a coach that demands excellence almost to a fault (see RG3).  I like the fact that he made the team his team by snatching it away from RG3 who was not mature enough or good enough for the team to be his.  Gruden did not walk on the egg shells the way Shanahan seemed to walk on them from the time RG3 was drafted.

I agree that his play calling was not always good, but last year was his first year as an NFL head coach and what he had to work with was not fair.  Across the board (offense, defense, special teams, and assistant coaches), he was working with subpar personnel.  His grade as a head coach is still to be determined. 

A huge step in the right direction would be for the Redskins to draft a pro bowl-caliber player with that first pick regardless of the position.  There are plenty of needs everywhere and very few players should feel safe about their status on the team.

Now that rumors that Kapernick might be traded;
I think Mariota will probably not be available when we pick. So, if trade down; it won't be because someone is going to get Mariota.

I am in the crowd that Gruden just isn't a head coach; despite him winning one more game last year.  I am still of the belief; he will be the first head coach fired.

RG3- Snyder, which was mentioned in some article; still believes in him. Pretty sure Allen does.  Robert has to stay healthy this year and he has to prove that he can be the answer.  If not, he's gone  in 2016.

No one wants to comment on how the Bradford / Foles trade just might have messed up our plans?????

Well if it's true that he's positioning to trade up to #2 with the Titans (Titans would get Bradford, #20, and probably a lot of picks along with that) ...

1. Tampa - Winston, QB FSU

2. Philly - Mariota, QB Oregon

3. Jacksonville - Fowler, Beasley, Gregory, Ray (they have tons of good interior DT and big DE in their 4-3, need a pass rusher)

4. Oakland - Cooper/White/ DO THEY GO LEONARD?

5. Washington - Leonard?!?! 

That could be the positive fall-out ... Takes Titans out of running for L Will ... or a defender in general ... so 100% chance one of McC's Top 3 defensive players is there when we pick.

No one wants to comment on how the Bradford / Foles trade just might have messed up our plans?????

New Orleans traded their big TE for Seattle's pick # 31, which gives them two 1st rounders. Word is that they are getting ammunition to move up and take a QB. Brees is getting old, so there's another possibility.

I don't really care if we trade back or not. It would be great having extra picks, but as long as either Leonard Williams or Danny Shelton is still on the board, I'd be more than thrilled to get either one of them!

Bradford doesn't make sense for anyone because he can't stay healthy and he hasn't been great. He just throws a good looking ball so people want to believe. He's a often injured Jay Cutler.

Be interesting to see what, if anything, Kelly makes of him now Bradfords an Eagle. I think he has talent and has been in a bad situation with the Rams - but he has to stay healthy, and that's not something he's done so far.

Is it possible the Redskins will draft Mariota? A lot of people in here say no (emphatically) but are you sure? John Clayton (pretty reliable) has stated if Mariota is there, the Redskins WILL take him. Maybe just bait to try and lure a team to trade up, but what teams will? Rams just traded for Foles, Eagles just got Bradford so what other teams are in need?

Also hinted in story that only person in organization who now believes in Robert may be Dan Snyder which if true, adds some validity to report. Maybe an inside deal being made with us and Eagles as there were rumors of a third team involved with Bradford

Love offseason, all these stories whether true or not keep us on our toes.

HTTR!!!

Is it possible the Redskins will draft Mariota? A lot of people in here say no (emphatically) but are you sure? John Clayton (pretty reliable) has stated if Mariota is there, the Redskins WILL take him. Maybe just bait to try and lure a team to trade up, but what teams will? Rams just traded for Foles, Eagles just got Bradford so what other teams are in need?

Also hinted in story that only person in organization who now believes in Robert may be Dan Snyder which if true, adds some validity to report. Maybe an inside deal being made with us and Eagles as there were rumors of a third team involved with Bradford

HTTR!!!

I absolutely believe that it's bait.  I don't think the Eagles are done.  Chip wants his team the way he wants it -- he wants Mariota and he's gonna package up a deal with Bradford and picks to make it happen with someone in the top 5-6.  I think he'd like to avoid doing a deal with the Skins if he could though.

If the past is any indication on future results refer to the RealRedskins link on McCloughan's past first round draft picks:

http://realredskins.com/2015/01/30/need-to-know-looking-at-redskins-gm-scot-mccloughans-first-round-picks-with-49ers/

The Redskins would imo would of unloaded either cousins or RG3 to open a number two spot if they were planning on drafting a QB. The team has too many other foundation pieces needed to draft a QB at this point using his draft strategy. I think he may either trade down to build picks or draft Leonard Williams. Just my thoughts but if you look at his history aside from Alex Smith, he's used top picks for other needs.

Just thinking out loud, but Mariota isn't the ONLY player other teams might view as the reason to make a move to trade up with the Redskins for. There are a number of WR-needy teams that draft after the Redskins that might want to move up to grab Cooper or White. Cleveland comes to mind. Doesn't matter to me who Cleveland picks as long as they are willing to give up their 12th and 19th (and maybe even their 2rd rounder) to do it.

I absolutely believe that it's bait.  I don't think the Eagles are done.  Chip wants his team the way he wants it -- he wants Mariota and he's gonna package up a deal with Bradford and picks to make it happen with someone in the top 5-6.  I think he'd like to avoid doing a deal with the Skins if he could though.

I would agree with you had the Eagles not already traded away picks to get Bradford which they aren't getting back (picks).  That being said, maybe there is a plan to use Bradford to move up, but, what teams before the Jets are looking for a QB?

John Clayton is usually pretty spot on but maybe he misses it this time.

If it is true (rumors) the FO has lost confidence in RG, then I absolutely could see them taking Mariota.  I guess no one really knows what is really going on outside the FO. 

HTTR!!!

IMO there are three possible motives for the Redskins leaking an interest in Mariotta.

1) They truly do not believe or have little confidence that either RG III or Cousins are potential franchise QB's and are genuinely interested in Mariotta.  The negatives of drafting him is that he is yet another Spread System QB who will need some time to learn how to play the position.  I would want to keep McCoy to be the babysitter QB while Marcus learns on the sidelines.  (Worked great for Rypien and Rodgers.)  Mariotta has more height (6'4") and doesn't have the injury history that Robert has.  He is also well-loved by his teammates and unlike Robert who fakes humility I think Mariotta is truly a humble kid who would be coachable.  That is a H-U-G-E difference!

2)  They're blowing smoke to drum up trade interest and to drive up the asking price.  Who cares if Robert has his feelings hurt.  Regardless of their motives this should be a wake up call for #10 to truly devote himself in the areas that they want him to improve.  As opposed to just listening to his cheerleader-coach Terry Shea. (Not that I think Shea is a bad coach but I don't think he's good for Robert at this stage in his career.)

3)  They are trying to shake out all of the fanboys who are really just RG III fans and would rather see the team fail than have their idol dethroned.  I confess that this one is purely for my benefit.

Regardless, I think McGloughan is playing this thing out just right.  He's sending a lot of signals to other teams and his own players that will ultimately benefit the team this season. 

The only way I would be OK with the Redskins drafting Mariota is if he fell to them in the 2nd round. I just don't think he is worth a top 20 pick, let alone a top 5 pick. And it's not that I am down on Mariota as a player, I just think his true value is being bloated due to the fact he plays QB and the QB class this year isn't viewed to be very strong. I'm sorry, but those aren't reasons for a team with as many holes as the Redskins have, to reach on a QB just because the HC doesn't like what he has currently. Mariota = RG3 minus injuries and NFL experience. No thank you at number 5. Just say, "NO" Scot!

I truly hope this talk of Mariota to the Skins is an intelligently played smoke-screen to entice other teams to want to trade up. That is what I really hope happens, even more so than the Redskins staying put and selecting an edge-rusher du jour with the number 5 pick.

I have no problem with the Redskins taking a QB at some point in the draft. I like Greyson and Mannion for example and they can be had at a much better value later in the draft, allowing the Redskins to use earlier picks to fill other holes. JMHO

Your post reminds me of the the cowpukes passing on Montana who was highest rated on their draft board because they they were vested in their current QB who won them as many SBs as RG3 for us.

I agree. The best player on the board that wasn't taken that year because they were married to Danny White and that was a mistake. Just like I personally imo think that if Mariota is there at 5 we have to take him but might not because we are married to Griffin and if so that will be looked at in history as a mistake. I want a divorce, others want to go to mediation and try and reconcile, to me divorce is imminent no matter what they do with Mariota and is only a matter of time. Ripping the band aide off quickly is how I like to do it others more slowly.

Bradford doesn't make sense for anyone because he can't stay healthy and he hasn't been great. He just throws a good looking ball so people want to believe. He's a often injured Jay Cutler.

Actually Bradford is much better then you might think. Yes he has had injuries but in his last 10 starts with no one to throw the football to and one of the worst Offensive Lines in the NFL he put up a 20 to 7 TD to INT comparison. Griffin's last 10 starts, 5 TD passes to 7 INTS. I believe that Bradford is going to surprise a lot of people this year. He is a very good QB, Kelly could push him to be great. Kelly took Sanchez last year and averaged 29 points a game with him under center. I expect big things for Bradford this year. The Eagles haven't finished yet either

They aren't the only ones in the Mariotta sweepstakes and honestly that helped us more then it hurt us. I don't want to see Mariots on the Eagles and believe they are out of this which is a great thing. I don't believe like some others that they did that trade and plan to move up. The only way that makes any sense is if they know the Redskins want Bradford then it would make sense but they couldn't trade with us until the draft anyway so highly doubt it.

Chip is smoking some good stuff.

I'm a Redskins fan, and hate those fecals BUT when you look at the team yes they lost some playmakers, but on Defense they got much much better and they improved the QB position with that deal. Time will tell if I'm right but I think the impression of Bradford is wrong. Remember how Mathew Stafford's first two seasons saw him be injured as well and people thought he was a bust when he started his career and then he turned it around? I predict the same for Bradford. He was drafted in 2010 as the top overall pick that year because of his potential. Yes injuries have hurt him, but he still beat The Seahawks, the 49ers, and the Cardinals with those over powering defenses the last two years and now enters the NFC East where well at best you can say is that the NFC East defenses are "average" if you consider them that good so will have a much easier time of it here. All of it depends on his health though

Be interesting to see what, if anything, Kelly makes of him now Bradfords an Eagle. I think he has talent and has been in a bad situation with the Rams - but he has to stay healthy, and that's not something he's done so far.

If he stays healthy he will be a probowl QB this year imo. Bold prediction I know but I think way outside of the box anyway so there it is. If Bradford stays healthy he is one of the NFC Probowl QB's this year.

HTTR!!!

Absolutely it's possible, in fact it would be the right thing to do. Just because they still are handcuffed to Griffin and Cousins doesn't mean anything. Just like the Eagles couldn't trade up without knowing Mariota is on the board at #6 we can't trade our guys right now knowing if he is on the board at #5 for us to take. However if he is it would serve us as fans, the head coach, and the GM best to take him.

All IMO and if you disagree please don't think I'm being disrespectful with my posting, I am not. Just sharing my weird different opinion then what's already out there.

I would agree with you had the Eagles not already traded away picks to get Bradford which they aren't getting back (picks).  That being said, maybe there is a plan to use Bradford to move up, but, what teams before the Jets are looking for a QB?

John Clayton is usually pretty spot on but maybe he misses it this time.

If it is true (rumors) the FO has lost confidence in RG, then I absolutely could see them taking Mariota.  I guess no one really knows what is really going on outside the FO. 

Eagles gave a 4th this year and a 2nd rounder next year.  Titans are not sold on Mettenberg.  I could see the Eagles giving them Bradford and more picks to move up.  It's a big leap but I think Chip wants what he wants.

Sure -- John Clayton is good but he's not always right.

All that said -- considering the QB situation, I could see the Skins drafting Mariota at 5 if Scot and Jay are really inamored of him.  Will be interesting to see what happens.  Exciting offseason so far.

Eagles gave a 4th this year and a 2nd rounder next year.  Titans are not sold on Mettenberg.  I could see the Eagles giving them Bradford and more picks to move up.  It's a big leap but I think Chip wants what he wants.

All that said -- considering the QB situation, I could see the Skins drafting Mariota at 5 if Scot and Jay are really inamored of him.  Will be interesting to see what happens.  Exciting offseason so far.

Titans aren't taking a broke up QB. That's insane! Chip has lost his mind. The Eagles needed that 2nd rounder too move up. Mariota is not going to the Eagles. That ship has sailed. Makes no sense what the Eagles traded away.

And I listened to John Clayton last night and........................Mariota could be in burgundy and gold. He was certain.

The Redskins gave up 2 first round picks, a 2nd round pick and some others for RG.  How much more do you think Chip is ready to let go?  Going from 20th to 2nd seems to be a lot bigger than from 6th to 2nd (I may be off).

It seems Chip would have to essentially give up his entire draft this year (may be a stretch) and parts next year to move up that high.  Not saying he wouldn't, but that would seem a lot.

For that to happen:

- The Titans would have to think higher about Bradford and his two ACL injuries and not playing in a regular season game in 2 years than they do about Mariota.

- That nobody else will offer better trade packages to the Titans than the Eagles will with picks and Bradford.

I would agree, I really don't think the Titans would choose a QB who can't stay healthy over Mariota.  Well, unless the Eagles give them this years draft AND next years draft.   Ditka did it for Ricky Williams, do you think Chip is twice as dumb or desperate for Mariota?

Archived