Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Potential Trade Partners if Mariota Falls

emor09

Is Kelly calling everyone's bluff or actually insane?

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/eagles/Chip-power-shift-was-Luries-idea.html

I personally think Mariota is there at 5 for sure

So, we're just suppose to be believe Chip at his word?  He was offered a 1st rounder for Bradford??  WHAT!?!?

Jeff Fisher fully endorsed Sam Bradford when asked about him at the combine and look what they ended up doing.  You can't believe a word these guys say. 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2015/01/09/redskins-gm-scot-mccloughan-suggests-its-too-early-to-give-up-on-rgiii/

I'm with this type of thinking.

Build the lines, get some weapons and see what we have here first. Rome wasn't built in a day.

The only problem with that thinking is that it can succeed in creating a mediocre team that is never in possession of a top five pick allowing them to draft a top flight QB. The only way to get one would be to luck out and have one fall, which is a much less likely scenario, or trade entirely too much to move up.

It's a gamble no matter how the team approaches it. Also staying at 5 and drafting a QB does not stop a rebuild. It uses one pick and allows all the rest, this year and the next several, to be used to draft any other position. What the redskins can't afford to do is trade away draft picks. They can draft any position with their current picks and be just fine. They just have to stay patient and not ditch the plan as soon as they get back to average and start making splashy trades and FA acquisitions.

Having said that I also agree with the thinking of fix the lines. My reasoning is simple, if they don't do it now when they are so near rock bottom, they never will. Just don't spend the first round drafting defensive backs, please. :)

That doesn't really help us to have its replacement on the team, as everyone will know we have to get rid of him. Thus giving them leverage.

There isn't much leverage with Griffin now. The world knows he's gone after this season. But there is the element of surprise if they draft MM this year. No one thinks they will do that. It would be a surprise move to do that.

You can't telegraph every move your going to make like this to your enemies. You keep them close, but don't give them your attack plan. This draft game is a game of chess. If we were playing chess I wouldn't tell you the moves I was going to make before I made them, why would I? The right thing to do is to keep your cards close to your vest not play with them open handed. That includes every team including the one picking number one

There isn't much leverage with Griffin now. The world knows he's gone after this season. But there is the element of surprise if they draft MM this year. No one thinks they will do that. It would be a surprise move to do that.

You can't telegraph every move your going to make like this to your enemies. You keep them close, but don't give them your attack plan. This draft game is a game of chess. If we were playing chess I wouldn't tell you the moves I was going to make before I made them, why would I? The right thing to do is to keep your cards close to your vest not play with them open handed. That includes every team including the one picking number one

It would also be a surprise if...we drafted a long snapper in the first round.

That's right NFL you never saw that coming did ya!  GMSM is in your head!

So, we're just suppose to be believe Chip at his word?  He was offered a 1st rounder for Bradford??  WHAT!?!?

Jeff Fisher fully endorsed Sam Bradford when asked about him at the combine and look what they ended up doing.  You can't believe a word these guys say. 

I don't believe him but what the hell is going on up the 95? I can't work out his moves.

It would also be a surprise if...we drafted a long snapper in the first round.

That's right NFL you never saw that coming did ya!  GMSM is in your head!

Not sure how that deals with my stated many points on why drafting a QB at #5 this year makes the most sense for everyone involved but I guess your right, drafting a long snapper at 5 would be surprising too and since were on that level here is your bunny

bunny2.jpg

Enjoy, it made me laugh :)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2015/01/09/redskins-gm-scot-mccloughan-suggests-its-too-early-to-give-up-on-rgiii/

I'm with this type of thinking.

Build the lines, get some weapons and see what we have here first. Rome wasn't built in a day. 

As was brought up on the Sportsfix (ESPN 980) the idea that a solid team can win without a dynamic QB has not really been proven recently.  The two teams who have made out the best in the last couple of drafts in picks have been the Rams and Browns.  Both teams have had multiple picks in the 1st round.  Without a dynamic QB what has it got them?  Not even a division championship.

When McCloughan made that statement about Robert he had not (as he admitted) watched a lot of film on Robert or anyone else on the team.  Maybe after doing so he has come around to the opinion of the Coaching Staff that neither Robert nor Kirk have what it takes to be a franchise QB.  And you pretty much have to have one.  Colts have a crappy O-line but they have Andrew Luck to offset that.  Rodgers had an ok line but he overcame that.  Our new GM knows how important the trenches are but he also realizes that you need a QB with the "It" factor if you want to go deep into the playoffs. 

John Clayton even let it out that Dan Snyder is the one who does not want to give up on RG III.  I like Thom Loverro's analysis.  If you want a child to let go of one toy give him another, new toy! 

My only concern if they do take Mariotta is that I would not want him to touch the field for the first year.  Trot out Kirk or Colt for the season.  Let the kid learn how to play the position the right way. 

As was brought up on the Sportsfix (ESPN 980) the idea that a solid team can win without a dynamic QB has not really been proven recently.  The two teams who have made out the best in the last couple of drafts in picks have been the Rams and Browns.  Both teams have had multiple picks in the 1st round.  Without a dynamic QB what has it got them?  Not even a division championship.

When McCloughan made that statement about Robert he had not (as he admitted) watched a lot of film on Robert or anyone else on the team.  Maybe after doing so he has come around to the opinion of the Coaching Staff that neither Robert nor Kirk have what it takes to be a franchise QB.  And you pretty much have to have one.  Colts have a crappy O-line but they have Andrew Luck to offset that.  Rodgers had an ok line but he overcame that.  Our new GM knows how important the trenches are but he also realizes that you need a QB with the "It" factor if you want to go deep into the playoffs. 

John Clayton even let it out that Dan Snyder is the one who does not want to give up on RG III.  I like Thom Loverro's analysis.  If you want a child to let go of one toy give him another, new toy! 

My only concern if they do take Mariotta is that I would not want him to touch the field for the first year.  Trot out Kirk or Colt for the season.  Let the kid learn how to play the position the right way. 

I can't listen to this as I live in Fort Worth Texas but that does make sense. I think that if they took MM they have to keep him on the bench this year and that's cool because now unrealistic as this may sound...

Go into camp with 3 QB's. Who ever wins the job and does the best, say it's Griffin, then he starts week one. Last year the NFL trade deadline was October 28th. Tell the entire league that they can have either Cousins or Griff if they make a decent offer. Teams lose QB's all the time. The idea here is that one of the two guys is gone and traded by the trade deadline. If they get a 4th cool, 3rd cool whatever just ship one guy out of town by that October date. Which then leaves you with two guys, the Rookie and in this case say Cousins. Cousins finishes out the rest of the year and the rook maybe you let him start the last two games of the season.

If Cousins then does crappy then we might sign him as a cheap backup QB next offseason to backup the rookie QB for backup money not starter money. If he does great well then we might be able to send him to someone after our season is over who wants to sign him long term before he hits Free Agency and get an extra 6th round pick or something.

Then the next summer we have a clear starter the rookie QB and then would just need to find a decent but nothing special backup QB and we are set at QB for the next three years.

Eagles gave a 4th this year and a 2nd rounder next year.  Titans are not sold on Mettenberg.  I could see the Eagles giving them Bradford and more picks to move up.  It's a big leap but I think Chip wants what he wants.

Pretty sure I read that the Eagles get a 3rd round pick in 2016 if Bradford plays less than 50% of the snaps for the Eagles in 2015. I don't know if a trade would meet that condition; you'd have to know the exact wording in the trade to be sure.

eagles are taking mariotta hands down no question, they will move above us to make sure it happens.

chip's quote says it all

"Marcus is best quarterback in the draft. We will never mortgage our future to go up and get someone like that."

they will not mortgage their future because they will not.

- trade bradford (eat his salary cap hit)

- trade eagle's first round

- trade second round

- trade third round

They have no other positions to draft as QB is their main missing piece, so rounds 1-3 picks mean nothing to the eagles. therefore trading those picks is not mortgaging their future. gg nfc east.

eagles are taking mariotta hands down no question, they will move above us to make sure it happens.

chip's quote says it all

"Marcus is best quarterback in the draft. We will never mortgage our future to go up and get someone like that."

- trade second round

- trade third round

They have no other positions to draft as QB is their main missing piece, so rounds 1-3 picks mean nothing to the eagles. therefore trading those picks is not mortgaging their future. gg nfc east.

Yeah at this stage I think Bradford probably ends up at the Titans and the Eagles get their guy.

PEOPLE PEOPLE..... Stop and just think for a second...

This is the first time in two years that we have had a 1st round pick. Not only that but the pick is in the top 5!  When we draft in the top tier of the draft we've gotten Sean Taylor, Trent Williams, Chris Samuels, etc. Core team guys! Why on earth would we use this pick to draft another QB and continue the five year hiatus from drafting for the core of our team?

Ironically the people who claim Dan Snyder is the only one that likes RG3 are speculating that Scot McCoughan would actually pull one of Dan Snyders moves on draft day and draft a QB..lol

This is the first time in two years that we have had a 1st round pick. Not only that but the pick is in the top 5!  When we draft in the top tier of the draft we've gotten Sean Taylor, Trent Williams, Chris Samuels, etc. Core team guys! Why on earth would we use this pick to draft another QB and continue the five year hiatus from drafting for the core of our team?

Ironically the people who claim Dan Snyder is the only one that likes RG3 are speculating that Scot McCoughan would actually pull one of Dan Snyders moves on draft day and draft a QB..lol

Okay, I thought for like a lotta seconds.

Let's say we do it your way.  We draft D-Line at 5 (since that's what most people say would be the BPA at that point).  What if Robert shows little to no improvement?  What if Kirk shows that he can't get over a bad play?  Then what do we do the next two years when we're picking in the 10 - 18 range of the draft?  Let's say the next year we go 8 and 8 with a journeyman QB.  Do we hope our guy magically falls into our laps?  Or do we mortgage the future again (God forbid!) as we did with RG III?

You have to trust the guy at GM.  If he thinks MM is better than both RG III and KC don't we owe him the benefit of the doubt?  Now, Scot McCloughan has had the opportunity to watch film on everyone.  He knows if RG III or KC can play or not.  And if they can't, you cannot pass on a good QB talent.

Are you seriously arguing a QB isn't a core part of a team?  The problem with the Redskins is that we assume that any QB we draft is going to be a bust because RG3 broke all of our hearts.  We drafted a can't miss player and... well we seem to have missed anyway. 

If Mariotta is a franchise caliber QB he's the only player the Redskins should even consider drafting.  As much as I loved Sean Taylor the Redskins would have been far better off had they drafted Roethlisberger but we were still hoping Ramsey would be something he wasn't.  The lesson in the RG3 situation isn't stop trying to find a QB, the lesson is stop trading away a fortune each time we try. 

Problem is there is no way to know for certain.

*This is not an argument for Mariotta.  The team should draft whoever the GM thinks is the best player.  If he thinks it's Mariotta I'm fine with that.  If he drafts Cooper, I'll force a smile.  If he drafts a defensive back, I'll have another drink and try hard to think happy thoughts.  Point is the goal is winning for a decade, which means that this pick may not be what makes sense in the short run.  

Personally I want to trade down, add a bunch of picks, and spend the next two seasons rebuilding the offensive and defensive lines.  I want nothing more than to hear NFL announcers and analysts saying "The Redskins dominate the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball".  That's the dream. 

chip's quote says it all

- trade second round

- trade third round

What if the Redskins select Mariota with the 5th pick then wind up trading him AND RG3 to the Eagles for Bradford, their 1st, 2nd, 3rd and (maybe 5th) this year? That way, Chip and the Eagles get not one but 2 Chip-style QBs (one with NFL experience but a history of injuries and another with a perceived bright future that Chip has lauded over for a long time) plus they hang on to all of their picks next year (as opposed to having to give up their 2016 1st or 2nd rounder in addition to this years picks in order to move up to #5 this year.) The Redskins get a QB in Bradford that, when healthy has everything Gruden wants in a QB (plus he still will have Cousins as a back-up) and a draft haul that McGloughan would be ecstatic to get to work with.

What if the Redskins select Mariota with the 5th pick then wind up trading (or maybe this was the secret back-door plan among NFC East foes all along) him AND RG3 to the Eagles for Bradford, their 1st, 2nd, 3rd and (maybe 5th) this year? That way, Chip and the Eagles get not one but 2 Chip-style QBs (one with NFL experience but a history of injuries and another with a perceived bright future that Chip has lauded over for a long time) plus they hang on to all of their picks next year (as opposed to having to give up their 2016 1st or 2nd rounder in addition to this years picks in order to move up to #5 this year.) The Redskins get a QB in Bradford that, when healthy has everything Gruden wants in a QB (plus he still will have Cousins as a back-up) and a draft haul that McGloughan would be ecstatic to get to work with.

OK Vinny I thought you left?

Are you seriously arguing a QB isn't a core part of a team?  

Yes that's exactly what I am saying. As a fan I know you see the QB and believe he is the most important part of the machine but he is not. What makes the machine strong is your O-line, and D-line. CB right now is the premium position in the NFL and there's no coincidence why the teams with the two best CBs in the game were in the Super Bowl.  Your argument concerning the QB was had by many that last several years. Sam Bradford, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert.. All of which were ranked very high. All of which people screamed to draft.. all of which have NEVER done anything in the NFL. 

Any NFL GM will tell you... unless you have Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning waiting in the wings.. They'll take a DT, OLB, LT or CB everyday and twice on Sundays before they take a QB. 

Okay, I thought for like a lotta seconds.

Let's say we do it your way.  We draft D-Line at 5 (since that's what most people say would be the BPA at that point).  What if Robert shows little to no improvement?  What if Kirk shows that he can't get over a bad play?  Then what do we do the next two years when we're picking in the 10 - 18 range of the draft?  Let's say the next year we go 8 and 8 with a journeyman QB.  Do we hope our guy magically falls into our laps?  Or do we mortgage the future again (God forbid!) as we did with RG III?

You have to trust the guy at GM.  If he thinks MM is better than both RG III and KC don't we owe him the benefit of the doubt?  Now, Scot McCloughan has had the opportunity to watch film on everyone.  He knows if RG III or KC can play or not.  And if they can't, you cannot pass on a good QB talent.

If your scenario panned out history has shown time and time again that there will be a franchise QB available outside of the top 5 or 10. Joe Flaco, Ben Roethlisberger, Russell Wilson, Tom Brady, Drew Brees,Aaron Rogers!!  So I can make a stronger case to draft a OLB over a QB any day.  "Trusting the guy at GM" has nothing to do with this argument. Did you trust Bruce Allen? Did you trust Vinny Cerrato??  Nor is this "my way" of doing things... This is the football way of doing things. We're talking about common sense football scouting. This is the reason you will see the SEC dominate college football but no QBs will come out of that conference in the draft. Premium talent are the LTs, OLB, and CBs.

If every GM will take any player over a QB because QBs aren't core players, why do they go so high every single draft? It's probably because playoff teams have QBs most of the time and teams that play defense but can't pass.... tend to fall short.

Cleveland plays great defense and has an excellent corner. How did they do in the playoffs? Arizona made the playoffs because they jumped out to a big lead while their QB was healthy. Great defense great secondary. How did they do without a QB? The rams, and Bradford, enjoy a great defense.... but that QB can't stay healthy and so they suck.

Just list the teams with bad QBs versus good ones. Then see how many on each list made the playoffs.

Archived