Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Potential Trade Partners if Mariota Falls

emor09

We have to take a QB in this draft and we should take someone that has down the fundamentals. NO MORE PROJECTS.

Or... how about coaches stop trying to change players into something they are not, and creating frankensteins more often than not. 

The GM gets a coach a QB that dominated at an uptempo offense, I want a coach smart enough to alter his playbook to include uptempo. If SM takes Mariota, I can see Gruden now embark on a 3 year challenge to convert him starting on day 1 into a pure pocket passer. Meanwhile we see Cam to Colin to Wilson to even RG3, the NFL is evolving to use young QBs to the strengths, leading to playoff visits and even super bowl wins. Why waste 3 years trying to change an athlete who is in their prime, when the coaches playbook has not even been proven good enough to win a single playoff game. 

It goes both ways. A coach has to look at the players the GM has given him and figure out how to win with that lineup. I think we have all seen time and time again the QB is the single most important player yet seems to be changed more than any other player on the roster. 

Even if a coach is a rookie, his approach in how best to utilize his QB often appears to be above discussion. what he is doing is best and if the QB fails, it is the QBs fault.  

I clearly don't agree. 

At the same time, I don't expect a GM to pick players that are known not to suit up your head coach.

Sure HC have to adapt himself to its players, just like Gibbs used to do it, but it's the GM job to find players that fits its coaching staff.

You just don't pick players and ask coaches to find a way to sort this out. People are usually crap at doing things they don't like.

I'm not convinced that Scot should be tailoring the roster and draft picks specifically to what Gruden wants for his scheme, only because I'm not convinced Gruden will (or should be) be here for the long run yet.

We ended up with Rod Gardner over Santana Moss and jettisoned Stephen Davis for Trung Canidate due in great part to getting players the coaches felt were better suited to their schemes. Neither coach lasted more than 2 seasons and I would rather had Davis and Moss on the roster together after both coaches left lol...

I'm not convinced that Scot should be tailoring the roster and draft picks specifically to what Gruden wants for his scheme.....

I agree and don't think he will.

I think he is going to use this offseason and next just to add some talent. Simple as that, we are short of good football players. BPA in the draft and solid, value free agents for the most part. Then become more targeted/specific.

I believe if Mariota was brought in, it would be with the idea of being patient.  I believe Colt was brought back for a very specific reason, I believe he wins the starting job if it is in fact an open competition.  If they draft Mariota, he gets to sit behind CM (maybe KC or RG as 3rd string) for a year while learning the offense and transitioning into an NFL offense.

If this happens, I do believe KC or RG (maybe both) will be dealt sometime before training camp starts. 

But, again, all speculation and don't really know what will happen. 

Well since we are speculating, I believe Colt was brought back so that in case we draft MM, we can trade RG3 and still have two QBs on the roster with 2 years in the system. :)

Aren't the Titans need of a QB? They pick 2nd. Don't think we will even need to worry about MM.

Fair warning...I'm talking a bit out of my ass here but this is what I've been thinking lately on this subject.  

The Titans have Zack Mettenberger but I'm not sure they feel like he's their guy.  No one in the organization is coming out to support him as the #1 guy going into this season.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/2/18/8063599/tennessee-titans-zach-mettenberger-jameis-winston-marcus-mariota

I don't think anyone can get a read on what the Titans are going to do in the draft and I'm sure that's the way they want it.  It boils down to whether or not they think Mettenberger has franchise-QB type talent.  He's certainly got a big arm, the size and has flashed.  

The out of my ass part:  

My gut says the Titans would love to trade out of the #2 with a willing participant.  The cost for moving up to #2 is too costly for any team (look what we gave up in 2012 to do it) and Mariota could (not saying he is, just saying it's possible) be the second coming of RGIII (not the good version btw).  

There's too much risk to move up to grab a guy like Mariota IMO and teams know the Redskins would be a cheaper date anyway so why move to #2? <--I say this b/c I don't really believe we are at all interested in drafting Mariota.  Sorry, I've got my money on the Scot Mac' Trade Back strategy.  

If I'm the Titans, I don't think you [a] Waste the pick on Mariota when your team has needs all over the roster or Show your hand one bit pre-draft b/c you squander the opportunity to trade with a willing participant who will give up a king's ransom to move up.  

The Titans have Zack Mettenberger but I'm not sure they feel like he's their guy.  No one in the organization is coming out to support him as the #1 guy going into this season.

Well this and the fact he was drafted in the 6th round last year. Unless they think he is the next Brady you really don't pass up on MM? I have a strong feeling that the Titans will draft MM. If I am wrong then we will draft him if Scot feels he is the BPA.

I would draft Mariota. Then I would trade with the Jets for 2 firsts (This years and next) and a second (next years) This way, we still get our man one pick later, whoever he is. We pick up a cash of picks from the sorry Jets. Almost automatic top 5 - 10 pick from the Jets in next years draft. Next year we have 2 1st rounders and 2 second rounders plus all of our other picks. Not to mention in the next year if we decide to trade someone else on our roster, we'll pick up even more picks. SWEET! I think the Jets are really thirsty for this pick and can't wait on Geno Smith to blossom. THEY WILL BITE! If they choose to bypass on Mariota, We have a future franchise QB waiting in the wings if the RGIII things blows up. My guess is that RGIII will be just fine. We just need him to manage the game and throw teams off balance with his feet every now and then. You know...keep them honest. Just like Russell Wilson. We have enough picks and time to develop him with that philosophy.  Over the next two drafts, we will concentrate on that O LINE. Not to mention, free agency next summer. We'll be ok. The O line does not need to be drafted in the 1st round to be good. You draft O Line in later rounds. This is where Scot will earn his money. He has an eye for talent. Give us 2 -3 yrs. When everything is in place, the stands will rock again. Its just that for so long, our Skins have been so sorry, we ache to win NOW. It will come. We just have to ride it out. The pieces have to be put in place. The 2 best moves the skins could have ever made is hiring A QB coach and an authentic GM. It will pay dividends. First thing first though, lets rock out in this years draft. Skins fan since 1977! HAIL!

Well this and the fact he was drafted in the 6th round last year. Unless they think he is the next Brady you really don't pass up on MM? I have a strong feeling that the Titans will draft MM. If I am wrong then we will draft him if Scot feels he is the BPA.

The only way MM is one of the top 10 players in the draft, is when you factor in the position.  QBs are too often drafted 10-20 people earlier than they should be.  MM's high risk of just being average and a little bit of comfort with the 2nd year QB (Zack) is why Tenn will not draft MM. 

Why on earth would the Jets pay 2 1st round picks for MM? You're dreaming.

Actually, they'd be paying next year's 1st and 2nd.  In this scenario, they are just swapping this year's 1st rounder with us, so they aren't "losing" that one.

Why on earth would the Jets pay 2 1st round picks for MM? You're dreaming.

Agreed.  And add to the fact that he said the Jets weren't willing to wait for Geno Smith to "blossom," what the hell do they think they'll get with MM?  He needs work. He's not ready just take the league by storm.

Actually, they'd be paying next year's 1st and 2nd.  In this scenario, they are just swapping this year's 1st rounder with us, so they aren't "losing" that one.

I like this scenario, and hope it happens. It would be like (in retrospect) only giving up a first rounder for RGIII.

From Hap in BRBN---I chose to add this here as the best spot for it. I red-highlighted what to me were the more meaty comments)

(Keim)

http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/16367/read-and-react-mel-kiper-says-trading-is-perfect-situation-for-redskins

Read and react: Mel Kiper says trading is 'perfect situation' for Redskins

Commenting on a few things ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper said about theWashington Redskins in a recent conference call:

Kiper: "They could take a quarterback, knowing RG3 is not someone you can say definitively is going to be elite anymore. Can he stay healthy? With the concerns with RG3, you have to do some things at quarterback to say, 'OK, we can’t put it all on RG.' Mariota needs to be developed and you have a situation in Washington that you could do that, having RG3 and [Kirk] Cousins and[Colt] McCoy."

My take: Agreed with the first part. This is the biggest reason why the Redskins would consider draftingMarcus Mariota if he falls to No. 5. Yes, he comes from a spread offense, but it really comes down to which player they believe in most and which one can be developed. But if they drafted Mariota, they would have to unload Griffin -- for his own sake. That would be a clear indication of a future that didn’t involve him. It would be awkward and for those who don’t like the circus atmosphere, having Mariota and Griffin would bring loads of attention.

Kiper: "You float the name out there and say we can take [Mariota] at No. 5. Before the Mariota talks started, you could look at offensive line. Well, that’s too high for offensive linemen. Is it an outside linebacker? Well, they drafted Trent Murphy last year and you have Ryan Kerrigan[brian] Orakpo is gone, but you still have Murphy, who is not a great pass-rusher but a good one, so you’re not forced to take an outside linebacker."

My take: Yes, the Mariota talk could just be a ruse. Hear everything and believe nothing at this time of the year. People I’ve talked to in the NFL are split on whether or not they would take him. Some who have worked here, knowing owner Dan Snyder’s affinity for Griffin, can't imagine the owner agreeing to such a move at this point. But knowing that they have doubts about Griffin lend credibility. The question is: How much credibility? As for outside linebacker, it is a position they desire. However, they don’t have to take one at No. 5, because there is depth at this spot in the draft.

Kiper: "Trading out of there if someone wants Mariota and he’s there would be very attractive for the Redskins. Yeah, they could take him, but they could also trade out because there are a lot of positions they need help at. If they get a huge blockbuster deal where they pick up multiple draft picks, then trading out of five, considering there isn’t an offensive linemen to take, which is what they need and the pass-rushers all have red flags, all of a sudden moving out of there is a perfect situation."

My take: Yes, trading back would be perfect. But every team drafting in this range has multiple needs, so moving back would make sense for almost all of them. And you need someone to be a dance partner -- how many teams want to trade back vs. how many want to move up? The advantage for Washington is picking fifth. It's a good spot, because there should be one or two intriguing players available. But you could say that about the teams ahead of them, too. Then it depends on the price to move up that high.

Considering the depth at some positions in this draft -- offensive linemen, edge rushers, running back -- having more picks after the second round would prove beneficial. I do think there are some excellent edge-rusher options, but I also agree with Kiper that all have flaws (every player in the draft does; so a guy projected to go 10th or 15th is not somehow safer). Also, I agree that they need offensive line help. The organization has done a poor job of developing linemen for nearly 25 years (especially those drafted after the second round). Get more in here.

Drafting Mariota at 5 would completely undo any credibility this front office has earned during the offseason.

Its a splash move designed to generate hype and articles.

The only thing this would accomplish is guaranteeing that the entire upcoming season was focused around RG3 drama and not on upgrading the other 52 positions on the roster

I've got to say, since it looks like there's no one the Skins are absolutely in love with and their need positions are to much of a reach for the fifth pick it would be a waste not to trade down, unless there's no realistic offers.  Whether it's for Mariota, Leonard Williams or Amari Cooper or someone else someone should want that pick

If Tina Turner didn't need another hero, the Redskins doesn't need another QB.

That disturbs me when I see scouting reports saying that QB and OLB are positions of need. We're needing great help on our OL and secondary first and foremost than QB and LB.

Stay put at #5 go Scherff, safest pick in the Top 10 play him wherever you want, LT, LG, C, RG, RT, sadly this guy isn't coming from a family of quintuplets. Would have been fun to draft those 5 altogether.

Honestly, the more I see it, staying put at #5 might be our best option. Trading down past 8 would be a mistake anyway.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/67926/did-chip-kelly-push-browns-toward-marcus-mariota

So now, a month later, comes word (from ProFootallTalk.com) that the Browns are looking to package their two first-round picks in a trade to move up in the draft. Their target: Oregon quarterback Mariota.

12 + 19 for 5 if MM is on the board.

I think McCloughan pulls the trigger on the offer unless he's really, really sold on the best pass rusher on the board.

Archived