Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official "DC" Thread (Movies,Comics etc)

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Actually, its marketed to families. There are plenty of movies marketed to kids and families that are well produced and well acted.

I know, because I was a kid once, and a lot of the stuff I grew up watching still has value even as an adult when I see it again 20 years later.

Bad is bad, no matter how you slice it

Edited by Mr. Sinister

I had a feeling it was going to be rough just because I looked at JL on Rotten tomatoes this morning and apparently they were still embargoing reviews. That's never a good sign

3 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Yeah, don't understand, out of everyone they could've gone with, they settle on them. If they wanted a little comic relief they should've gone with Captain Marvel, and I would've rather seen GL or MM rather than Cyborg and that awful getup

I think they decided they needed a superhero of color. To me, Cyborg is a Teen Titan, but that also may show how long it's been since I was an active comics reader.

• Like 1

Yeah I'm 29 and  remember Cyborg from the Animated JL reboot back on Cartoon Network in the very early '00s.

Could've gone with John Stewart, though. If im being honest, I don't recall a diverse crowd in the DC universe. Marvel has always been more open and exploratory on those issues with Stan Lee

• Like 1

Just now, Mr. Sinister said:

Yeah I'm 29 and  remember Cyborg from the Animated JL reboot back on Cartoon Network in the very early '00s.

Could've gone with John Stewart, though. If im being honest, I don't recall a diverse crowd in the DC universe. Marvel has always been more open and exploratory on those issues with Stan Lee

Yeah, but besides Powerman and Falcon even Marvel could have done better esp. back in the '60's and '70's. Where I do think they were superior is in social messaging. At its best, the whole X-Men thing was an interesting exploration of civil rights.

It's possible though that I'm being a bit unfair. Maybe they went about as far as they could go sort of like Star Trek did with Kirk and Uhura.

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Actually, its marketed to families. There are plenty of movies marketed to kids and families that are well produced and well acted.

I know, because I was a kid once, and a lot of the stuff I grew up watching still has value even as an adult when I see it again 20 years later.

Bad is bad, no matter how you slice it

I meant comics are a media marketed to kids.Or at least they used to be when all these characters and the JL story was written.

Edited by Zguy28

23 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I had a feeling it was going to be rough just because I looked at JL on Rotten tomatoes this morning and apparently they were still embargoing reviews. That's never a good sign

I think they decided they needed a superhero of color. To me, Cyborg is a Teen Titan, but that also may show how long it's been since I was an active comics reader.

Then they shoulda put John Stewart in there instead instead of making Cyborg look like a disney pixar character.  A large amount of people that were comic book fans as kids are adults now, don't have to give them the middle finger to sell toys at walmart.

• Like 1

Justice League Animated Series was one of the best TV shows I've ever seen. Brilliant stories, great voice acting and decent animation.

(I particularly love the story where Superman is transported to another dimension where he loses all his powers and has to survive as a normal

human being). Justice League Unlimited was also excellent, although that show relied a lot on gimmicks like introducing quirky, minor characters

like Booster Gold and Star Girl.

Sad that DC hasn't been able to translate their success in animated television to live action movies. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Have you seen Young Justice? That’s a great show too.

Oh yeah that was great too. And they are reviving that show as well. Justice League Action isn't half bad either, particularly when it centers on humorous characters like Plasticman and Booster Gold.

5 hours ago, Mournblade said:

Justice League Animated Series was one of the best TV shows I've ever seen. Brilliant stories, great voice acting and decent animation.

(I particularly love the story where Superman is transported to another dimension where he loses all his powers and has to survive as a normal

human being). Justice League Unlimited was also excellent, although that show relied a lot on gimmicks like introducing quirky, minor characters

like Booster Gold and Star Girl.

Sad that DC hasn't been able to translate their success in animated television to live action movies. 

I grew up on the WB's Animated Batman series back in the early 90's. They styled it sort of after the Tim Burton films

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/11/2017 at 10:04 PM, Warhead36 said:

Ugh I don't like the Crossover episodes because I don't watch Supergirl or Legends of Tomorrow.

Usually the Supergirl episode only consist of one scene that has anything to do with the crossover, and they repeat the scene in the very next show. Pretty easy to skip. 

You may be able to skip Legends too since hey are no longer the last show to air during the week. 

Forgot to mention, I believe that Batman was the start of the iconic voiceovers for Bats, joker and Harley Quinn (Played by Kevin Conroy, Mark Hammil and Arleen Sorkin) who went on to do most of that work from then all the way up to The Killing Joke (real graphic Joker origin story animated retelling that came out recently)

7 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

This is out of left field, but on the diverse front I think DC would do themselves well to potentially do a Static Shock movie. 

10 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

This is out of left field, but on the diverse front I think DC would do themselves well to potentially do a Static Shock movie. 

Not sure I'd trust the people under DC with something like that.

People have their gripes with Marvel's MCU and Netflix Defenders lineup, but they killed it with Luke Cage and appear to have done the same with Black Panther (honestly I really really liked the first Blade, but I don't remember how much of a role Marvel played in that). It would probably have to be someone outside their current crop of producers

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Rumors leaking out of Rotten Tomato score in the low 50s for Justice League.  I'm still going tomorrow, but that is pathetic.

What do you expect?

Man of Steel was 55%

Batman vs Superman was 27%

Suicide Squad was 26%

They got lucky with Wonder Woman.

Id say that low 50’s is quite ambitious for Justice League.

20 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Not sure I'd trust the people under DC with something like that.

People have their gripes with Marvel's MCU and Netflix Defenders lineup, but they killed it with Luke Cage and appear to have done the same with Black Panther (honestly I really really liked the first Blade, but I don't remember how much of a role Marvel played in that). It would probably have to be someone outside their current crop of producers

I honestly don’t trust WB with much of anything if they let Zack Snyder take back control once he returns. Whedon is good. Not sure if I’d want him running the whole show. But Whedon is good with teen/young adult characters (ex. Buffy), and I think if he did it could turn out well. 

I’m more of a Marvel guy, but DC has so much to work with and they aren’t hindered by having rival studios own rights to their very best properties. 

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Rumors leaking out of Rotten Tomato score in the low 50s for Justice League.  I'm still going tomorrow, but that is pathetic.

No way will bad reviews keep me from going to see this.

I still believe critics are much harsher on DC than Marvel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1