Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official "DC" Thread (Movies,Comics etc)

BRAVEONAWARPATH

6 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Explain how some random dude happened to discover the secret military base/prison where they took Bucky and then, somehow, with 4 other avengers on site, just walks in to examine the biggest criminal in the world.

Oh who are you?

I’m a doctor.

No badge or ID or anything? Hey did we even call a doctor? eh I’ll allow it. come on in. What’s that? You want to talk to the winter soldier completely alone? Yeah...sure why not. 

Also, how about his plan that he apparently somehow knew the winter soldier killed starks parents 25 years ago in a case so classified none of the avengers know of it and he also somehow knew there was a book that contained all the winter soldiers programming too and somehow also figured out how to get that. And somehow also was able to devise a massive EPM bomb to be delivered at the exact time he needed to be there. 

And he did all of this on the chance that somehow iron man and Captain America would both find their way to this other remote ass base in the middle of nowhere at the exact same time and wait patiently together while they both watched the video of the winter soldier killing starks parents which fortunately for all, was recorded by the camera stuck in a random tree on the random road the starks were traveling on that happened to be the exact spot and time TWS decided to kill each at. 

And then he succeeds in all of this and also knows that it will cause iron man to want to fight Bucky and that cap will defend him. 

So all of his ridiculous, preposterous plan that makes not one shred of actual sense was simply so this one guy could potentially get iron man and cap to fight? 

And all this because he was just some random dude that had his family killed in age of ultron? 

Yep ok. But Martha and jolly ranchers and other stuff ?

I mean iron man breaks the laws of thermodynamics but this is what gets you? I guess...

• Like 2

18 hours ago, DM72 said:

No way will bad reviews keep me from going to see this.

I still believe critics are much harsher on DC than Marvel.

There is truth to this. They are harsher on DC, but the other side of it is Marvel movies are simply better and it’s raised the bar to a level that Snyder just can’t reach. 

Well I saw it. Over abundance of cgi and a weak villain but it was awesome. A lot of fun. 

Longer review to come 

56 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

I mean iron man breaks the laws of thermodynamics but this is what gets you? I guess...

What does that matter?

certain things you suspend belief for regarding comic book characters like hulks shorts but the plot should make sense. 

———-

that first post credits scene lmao

The second one...omg place went nuts 

7 minutes ago, DM72 said:

Without revealing any details, do they tease the next villain?

...uhh it’s briefly mentioned in the movie what might be the case. 

But the second post credits scene does tease a different future villain/situation developing 

Spoiler

The second post credits scene shows Luthor has escaped prison and is joined on his yacht by Deathtroke. He mentions the Justice League forming and that he thinks they should put together their own team. 

I assume this is strictly a Batman setup even with the team and Luthor being involved 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

Ok so full review...

Biggest flaw with the movie is the villain, Steppinwolf. Granted I don’t know much about him from the lore/comics but he’s pretty meh. He has no real setup, no emotional engagement, he’s just there to be a big bad guy and try to take over the world. And he looks awful. Like 100% cgi fake. He looks like if Pixar tried to make a realistic superhero movie. 

But it this is also a problem I have with team-ups is it weakens the villains considerably. You don’t really get those complex or nuances characters when you have a ‘global domination takes 6 superheroes to defeat’ baddie. 

Another flaw is the soundtrack. It just doesn’t have a defining theme which is odd. We know the avengers theme, the Batman theme etc. I’m surprised nothing stood out and the soundtrack didn’t really add any gravitas to certain scenes like it should have. They did do a pretty slick remix of the Batman 89 theme, they had the WW theme at times and it sounded like 

Spoiler

They mixed he Man of Steel theme with the original Superman theme from the old movies. I couldn’t quite tell cuz it caught me off guard but I think that’s what I heard 

The movie is pretty funny. Aqua man and flash carry the comedy and I don’t care about either one of them but they were a lot of fun in this and both had plenty to do. I like what they did with Aquamans character here. He had a purpose and was pretty badass. 

Flash plays the DC version of the new Spider-Man being young inexperienced and super excited to be part of the group. He might have stolen the movie honestly. They used him creatively too but granted I dont watch the show or care at all about him previously so maybe it’s nothing new for him. 

Wonder Woman is just great. She kicks ass, is just a beacon of hope and purity in a way that isn’t lame like Superman. And she’s smoking. Gadots charisma is off the charts. 

I feel the same about cyborg as I did flash/aqua man but I liked his character here if I didn’t care much for his design. I was worried the design would be distracting but it wasn’t. He definitely looks better in the hoodie that he wore a lot of the movie tho. 

The movie is a lot more optimistic and brighter in a sense than BvS so they clearly heard the criticisms. You can still feel that the the world is just kinda dragged down in the dumps due to Superman’s death, losing hope. It doesn’t stay in that territory long tho. 

Building up the group was a little slow and took a while but it was fun and sort of a nice introduction to things. The plot is pretty barebones. Steppinwolf shows up with his army looking for these 3 boxes of power, to unite them which would create his home world on earth. That’s how he conquers planets. The death of Superman caused the boxes to activate signaling him to come to earth. Not sure how they are related or what, it didn’t make much sense to me. Not sure if these boxes exist in comics or not. Anyway, Batman senses this and with WW’s help, they recruit cyborg, aqua man and flash and then they go to battle. Pretty simple. 

The fight scenes were fun and I think every character has worthwhile contributions which kinda surprised me. Batman gets his ass kicked a lot and rightly so being the only regular person there. Still, he hangs tough and does enough damage. The fight scene constantly shown in the trailer ended up being better than I expected cuz it looked like crap in the trailer. And there is some bad cgi and some dumb ideas like aquaman falling thru a building and sliding out the front like it ain’t ****. That was just silly. 

but overall it was a lot of fun. I don’t expect much from superhero team ups but I thought it was pretty entertaining  

Now for the meaty stuff...

Spoiler

I have no idea what was going on with those mother boxes. Did Atlantis and the amazon women team up in the past in the comics? Apparently the back story is that their civilizations all waged war on Steppinwolf centuries ago with help even from other planets (green lanterns fighting!) but I don’t know if that’s canon or what. Seemed odd but It kinda made given that they’ve been around protecting the world for so long 

which reminds me, I have no idea why the mother box brought Superman back to life. So there is that. Which brings me to supes...

Him coming back was fantastic. The fight after he comes back when he attacks the justice league was awesome and I thought the highlight of the movie. I think my favorite part was when he had WW, AQ and Cyborg all together and flash thinks he’s going to run around behind Superman but he sees Superman’s eye turn to follow him while he is running full speed and flash loses his **** realizing Superman can keep up with him. It was great. also when he grabs Batman and batman says “this world needs you” and superman is seconds away from killing him saying “but it doesn’t need you” man that was sweet. The theater cheered. Bad Superman was awesome even if short lived. 

Superman brings up another problem I have with team ups and that is that the lesser characters are useless. Superman kinda makes that true here. WW and Aquaman are a fair match for Steppinwolf and can keep pace with him tho they likely lose. Superman shows up and beats the living **** out of him in 5 seconds. Which was awesome but still. If this was a band they’d be called Superman and friends, not the justice league. Seeing Batman froze, his mouth agape with a smile in shock and admiration when Superman shows up tho was pretty funny. 

Steppinwolf does say something about Darkseid which implies to me he is the next villain. Else why bring him up at all?

that first credit scene where flash wants to race Superman was hilarious. Superman is much happier and more traditional in this one. He’s funny. And they lightened up the blue on his suit considerably as well from the dark blue MoS/BvS versions. 

The second credits scene was just awesome. The crowd lost it when Deathstroke was revealed to be riding out to Luthors yacht when all you could see was his silhouette with the swords on his back. Hopefully that sets up a great Batman movie 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 2

The Steppenwolf CGI was curious given how much this movie cost.  It was not good.  I woulda thought they'd have achieved Planet of the Apes level motion capture, but they most certainly fell way short on that.  

And you can tell many of the areas where Whedon took a hatchet to this movie.  

15 hours ago, Mournblade said:

Steppenwolf seems such a bizzare choice for a villain. I can't even remember him that well from all the animated Justice League episodes. Is he from Apocalypse? What's his relationship with Darkseid?  

The weird thing to me is they dont even really touch on the relationship. 

But the DCEU is flying by the seat of its pants.  I dont think they know what they're gonna do from movie to movie, so the relationship to Darkseid might wind up not being important.  

8 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

I wonder if that forces them to scale back budget wise on future DC films

never would have imagined a justice league film coming in under 100mil these days

Maybe it also has a little to do with it being late fall. Always felt that was a weird time for action/superhero movies to come out, unless there's an earnings stat that bears otherwise

6 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Maybe it also has a little to do with it being late fall. Always felt that was a weird time for action/superhero movies to come out, unless there's an earnings stat that bears otherwise

Thor did 100+ in his 3rd movie a couple of weeks ago

i just figured the combined star power involved with the first real Justice League movie would get people out, despite the average reviews

• Like 1

I think anticipation was high, expectations were low.  And then when they couldnt get any good buzz going, it was a wrap. 

Marvel had such confidence in Thor that they lifted the review embargo on it almost a month before the movie came out.  DC/WB held on to it until a couple days out.  I dont think they thought that highly of it.  And they wouldnt have wanted Whedon to change it as much as he did.

If JL had gotten Ragnarok level good buzz building, I think the numbers woulda been a little higher. 

• Like 1

On 11/16/2017 at 1:46 PM, Momma There Goes That Man said:

All cap did was tell him “smash” 

he gave him zero guidance in that movie. It was a punchline. 

Cap was supposed to be the leader yet he plowed the team headfirst into conflict that nearly killed one of them, all based on a silly fear he had that something bad “might” possibly happen down the road. It was a silly manufactured divide so they could fight. 

Would have shown far more leadership to keep the group of super powerful beings together as one and sign the accords until this bad thing he feared actually happened. Then they could just break from the accords and be fugitives anyway. 

So let’s see: play along for now and keep peace between the sole protectors of the world and possibly become fugitives later while waiting to see if this fear is ever actually realized 

or 

eh forget all that. I’m being spoiled cuz I’m in a Dick measuring contest with stark and let’s nust be fugitives now and fight and split the entire group rendering the world I want to save completely vulnerable 

"All based on some silly fear he had that something bad might happen?" Bad stuff had already happened lol. How is it a silly fear when in the prior movie he took down SHIELD because it was infested with Hydra agents? If he's already seen how corrupt government agencies can get and has saved the world from such terrorists then isn't that a good reason to want his group to remain autonomous instead of signing up to be regulated and controlled by god knows who? He brings up solid points in the discussion. What if something catastrophic happens where they can help but aren't able to because they have to ask permission first? And if they are "sent" somewhere how do they know who or what they're truly fighting for. It's basically SHIELD all over again.

The thing I liked about Civil War was Stark and Cap had gone through a progression in their arcs where they had basically switched places. Stark used to be the cynical one that wanted no part of the government and thumbed his nose at authority while Cap was the boyscout that was all about following orders. Both characters had gone through events that flipped the script for both of'em and things were no longer black and white. I don't think any of that was manufactured at all. To me it happened naturally and it was easy to see both sides had good points.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I think Thanksgiving weekend is historically a big box office weekend.  Maybe releasing it the weekend before they figure to get good carryover into next weekend.  Although I think Coco will be #1 draw next weekend.