Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Rotoworld: Colts Release SS LaRon Landry(Update): Landry Suspended Indefinitely

Alaskins

So Per Rotoworld, the Colts have released SS LaRon Landry, should we... review what went wrong with his time as a Redskin and the pick that landed him here?  And review what other options were available in the 2007 draft?

laronlandry.jpg?w=720&h=480&crop=1

In 2007, our team led by GM Vinnie Cerrato drafted LaRon Louis Landry with the 6th pick overall.  The thought was at the time to pair LaRon with the late, great Sean Taylor to create a fearsome duo in the backfield.  As we all know, that didn't exactly work out.  I'd like this thread to focus on what went wrong, and what potentially could have been right given the right circumstances.  Also, I'd like to review LaRon's career a bit to ascertain if the problems were a homegrown issue or if there were red flags going into the draft.

By way of reference, here are LaRon's numbers:

SEASON TEAM GP COMB TOTAL AST SACK FF FR YDS INT YDS AVG LNG TD PD STF STFYDS KB 2007

16 95 63 32 1.5 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 6 3 6 0 2008

16 65 49 16 0.5 2 1 0 2 18 9 13 0 11 1 1 0 2009

15 90 78 12 1.0 2 0 0 1 12 12 13 0 6 2 5 0 2010

9 85 66 19 1.0 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 8 5 13 0 2011

8 48 35 13 1.5 1 1 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 9 0 2012

16 100 76 24 0.0 4 0 9 2 42 21 24 1 8 3 5 0 2013

12 87 62 25 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 1 4 0 2014

11 46 37 9 2.5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 2 0 Career 103 616 466 150 8.0 10 4 0 6 72 12 24 1 41 19 45 0

**Posted from ESPN.com

LaRon was suspended in October of 2014 for testing positive to Performance Enhancing Drugs (PEDs)  hence the 11 games played in 2014.

The following players were available after the #7 spot in the draft:

Vikings: Ardian Peterson

49ers: Patrick Willis

Bills: Marshawn Lynch

Jets: Darrelle Revis

Given all that, and given the terrible situation surrounding ST#21.  Do you feel like the Front Office at the time made the right decision?  Do you think that LaRon's issues were a product of the coaching staff during his time at the Redskins?  Do you think that his career could have been salvaged is we had the proper coaching staff in place during his tenure here?

Sorry, I'll change the thread listing.  I'm interested to hear folks opinions.

Given that we all know that Vinnie was inept.  Was a potential killer saftey combo a game changer?  If so what went wrong?

Given our staff in '07 (Portis et al) was there a better move there (without hindsight)?

I do appreciate the thread - especially in light of him just being released.  But it seems like the conversation begins and ends with the death of Taylor.  Everything in our secondary changed after that - including Landry (to include being asked to play FS as well).  Not sure if there is much else worth speculating about that after the Taylor death.  Just my opinion.  Carry on :)

If he turned out to be good it would have been a great move. We really needed him to step up after Sean died but he couldn't stay healthy and didn't want to listen to coaches. In hindsight Peterson would have been great but I can see why he wasn't picked at the time because of knee problems and I imagine Portis wouldn't have liked it

What went wrong?  At the time everything about how this team approached the draft was wrong.  We didn't have very many picks to begin with because the team didn't value them enough for starters.  The pick itself however show the faulty mindset at work in the front office.  Drafting defensive backs when the offensive line and defensive line aren't very good is the wrong way to go about things.  It looks great if you happen to land a special player like Sean Taylor, but the odds of that are slim.  Dominating the line of scrimmage makes everything easier in the NFL. 

What went wrong is that laron has a pre-occupation with looking good rather than being good. Flexing after making a big hit on a receiver that he just let catch a 30 yard pass is par for the course for that dude.

Also, one of my favorite sigs on his this site belongs to LaronDontLikeUgly.

LaRon Landry was actually a good pick in my opinion. 

We wern't picking Adrian Peterson we had Clinton Portis already,  who was still in his prime...

We wern't picking Revis we had Carlos and Shawn Springs already....

We wern't picking Willis we had London Fletcher already...

The one position we needed was SS and to be fair, Sean Taylor was having his best year as a redskin in 2007 WITH Landry before his unfortunate and ill-timely demise.

As an avid long time weight lifter myself, I know "the look" of a steroid user. Not that you need to be a weight lifter to see that Landry was/is clearly a user, but whatever the case, this guy was juiced out of his mind. Add to the fact that as Warhead36 correctly posted, he was never that good and you get what you get with him. The turning point in "Big Bad Laron's" career as a Skin was in the '08? Thursday night opener against the Giants when Brandon Jacobs ran him over and right through him. Landry was supposed to be this ferocious hitter along the lines of Sean Taylor and with ST now gone, he was poised to be the next best thing to him. Once Jacobs trucked him that night, it was like the bully getting punched in the face and for all intents & purposes, his intimidating presence that he was on his way to establishing went out the window and he never got it back. 

Laron turned out to symbolize much of what has been wrong with the Redskins since 2000.  The team has been a paper tiger.  Looks great, but has no real teeth or fangs.  Laron was all about potential and not production.  Even seven years into his tenure here people were still shouting we need to give him a chance because of what he could become.

Laron never fulfilled his promise and that's 75% on Landry himself.

Folks I know this has 'some' Redskins relevance given that some of the conversation in the thread is about the drafting of Landry by the Redskins but it's been a few years and 2 teams since Landry was here. My judgement is we don't want to cluter the Stadium with threads every time an ex Redskin gets released.

I've moved this thread to ATN and you can carry this conversation on here. If anyone wants to ask the 'should we pick him up' question (answer is no) you can do that in the free agency thread.

In 2007, Vinny wasn't making any picks. Let's be honest about this - he was essentially relegated to intern level duties organizing notebooks for Gibbs. Landry was Gregg Williams pick through and through, and while I am a huge GW fan and hater of Vinnyboy, let's be honest where the fault lies.

In 2007, Vinny wasn't making any picks. Let's be honest about this - he was essentially relegated to intern level duties organizing notebooks for Gibbs. Landry was Gregg Williams pick through and through, and while I am a huge GW fan and hater of Vinnyboy, let's be honest where the fault lies.

True.  Seems like everyone is still too quick to jump on the "Blame Vinny" bandwagon for any bad personnel moves made during Gibbs II.  As a remember, the rest of the football media thought it was a pretty decent pick at the time.  This wasn't some Raiders-style reach or something.   

Archived