Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official "Marvel" Thread (Movies,Comics etc)

BRAVEONAWARPATH

55 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

The MCU movies are starting to lose their power, a bit. Maybe Eternals is fantastic, I was less than thrilled about Guardians of the Galaxy, but that was terrific--same with Wandavision. So, we'll see, but I am less than enthusiastic about this and Shang Chi. Probably because I know nothing about them, feels like they're dipping into the C-level characters.

I told myself I was done when the Infinity Saga ended and Cap and IM were done, but I'm willing to give Feige the benefit of the doubt and see what they do.  Also when I told myself I'd be done with the MCU it was before they acquired X-Men and FF from FOX so the door's wide open with what they can do.  

17 minutes ago, Larry said:

They're not Disney, but I'd love to see more X Men

this is going to be the problem with phases 4-5. 

the movies could be great or fine but everything they do will receive a “yeah, but...” until the X-men and FF are introduced. it’s going to be hard to please people.

people also need to have patience so they can build this up properly. Captain American - and Thor 1 were meh movies. They still helped establish those characters and the world that was used to progressively build to something bigger that is pretty much universally praised. let them do that again. This is the same problem the comics have when they have a big crossover event and Spider-Man gains some new ability and becomes the strongest being in the universe for 20 minutes and knocks out galactus and then a few issues later he’s in a NYC sewer chasing Lizard. It’s hard to go back when you’ve been at the highs. But these things need time to build. 

at this point I’ll trust them. Shang Chi, the eternals, etc. I feel the same about them as I did antman and guardians and they made that work and fit them into the larger story

3 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

The MCU movies are starting to lose their power, a bit. Maybe Eternals is fantastic, I was less than thrilled about Guardians of the Galaxy, but that was terrific--same with Wandavision. So, we'll see, but I am less than enthusiastic about this and Shang Chi. Probably because I know nothing about them, feels like they're dipping into the C-level characters.

I think I am the same way (also had the same initial thoughts about Guardians and WandaVision). When I don't know the characters--at ALL lol--something else has to jump out at me in the trailer to get me interested. There wasn't really much in this trailer to do the trick or in the Shang Chi one now that you mention it. But like I said before, ironically enough that movie poster by itself absolutely would have made me interested in the movie.

Edited by Califan007
  • Like 1

I'm with you, Momma. I think if there's a clear sense among this year's movie that a new *arc* is being built, that'll go a long way towards their success. And with the Dr. Strange multiverse film, I think that's a nice easy way to introduce a bunch of characters from other franchises. I've read that Charlie Cox's Daredevil will pop up, and likely some or all of the FF.

5 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

at this point I’ll trust them. Shang Chi, the eternals, etc. I feel the same about them as I did antman and guardians and they made that work and fit them into the larger story

Yeah, I do think that Marvel has earned a lot of trust from me. I haven't loved every thing they've done. (Haven't liked Ant Man. The Iron Fist series.)  

But their batting average is really high. I see their logo, it goes on my list. 

The real Mandarin and the ten rings in Shang Chi can set up some stuff.

The Eternals and Deviants are key factors in various groups of people. Some with mutations. 

My theory is the TV shows will forward plots but they will keep MAJOR developments for movies. For instance: Falcon became Cap at the end of Endgame. But we saw there was a lot more to it than that in the show.

Vision died in Endgame, but we saw there was more to it than that in WandaVision. 

Loki took the Tesserect in Endgame, we will explore what happened in Loki. 

I think these movies are palat cleansers AND new beginnings.

I think even Widow is going to serve a purpose. Such as introducing a new Widow for the next phase. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/26/2021 at 8:57 AM, Momma There Goes That Man said:

@stevemcqueen1 in 3 paragraphs or more, can you tell me about the eternals and why I should be excited about this movie?

the only thing that peaked my interest is that it seems to be a different conversation than most of the other MCU films have taken in. These are what, god like creatures with more noble and just higher ambitions than domination or power. So it’s trying to have a different conversation and be a different type of film than the avengers.

but that could be an incorrect read on a teaser trailer 

I did write out a long post for you but lost it.  I don't know that much about the Eternals because I never read their runs.  The God-Hero mythical epic stories aren't my favorite because they're usually so ahistorical that it distracts me, and they're just way shallower and less creative than real world mythological traditions or epic fantasy.  Plus there is always so much retconning and power creep in an effort to avoid anticlimax in these big scale runs and they produce a lot of annoying holes.

But my sense about Eternals is that Marvel Studios very intentionally picked a lesser known portion of the 616 universe to launch phase four so that they could give their big ensemble property way more storytelling freedom for the new phase.  It's telling that they gave Eternals to their most accomplished director instead of giving her Black Widow (which she was initially considered to direct).  They want their best story tellers to use this property to frame the new direction of the MCU, and link the previous phases to the new one.

I also think they are trying to go hard on rapidly increasing their diversity of characters so this gave them the chance to do a big team with Asian and black and Hispanic and gay and handicapped characters, plus a greater distribution of female members of the team.  And it seems like these characters have all been together for thousands of years presumably, so they can skip a lot of the storytelling work of how they meet up and build a team that consumed a lot of time in Phase 1. 

The trouble is, we got quite a bit of character building from the individual Cap, Stark, and Thor franchises so audiences were heavily invested in those characters for Avengers.  Gonna be impossible to do that level of building for an even bigger ensemble in one movie.  So it sounds like they are really going to hone in on the romantic leads portrayed by Gemma Chan and Richard Madden to ground this movie. 

The Marvel movies have been a oddly asexual to this point.  That's kind of come naturally from the characters--Stark is a man-child who has to learn to have a grown up relationship and that's mostly mined for comedy; Cap is a wholesome character and the conflict of his 1940s romance comes from it being long distance through time; Thor lost Natalie Portman (supposedly because of issues between her and Ike Perlmutter) and then found it's niche as a comedy because even though Hemsworth is one of the most desirable men in Hollywood, he's a more surprising and interesting comedic lead than romantic lead; Guardians is childish and some of the better bits come from the unrequited nature of the relationship between Pratt and Saldana; Dr Strange is aloof and asexual; Black Panther didn't fully develop the romance between T'Challa and Nakia (he got more screen time with his sister Shuri) and will now get no chance to do so; Captain Marvel's male leads were either villains or platonic partners and the whole thing is supposed to be about a female hero finding her way; Ant-Man is goofy lighthearted property where the main character is a devoted single dad and isn't going to have some sort of pining and intense romantic attachment.

The closest things the movies have had to classic movie romantic storytelling are the teen romances in Spider-Man and the tragic woman who loves the Dr Jekyll/Mr Hyde beast in the totally forgettable Hulk movie.  So Eternals is going to be different presumably, perhaps much more like Wandavision.  That makes it interesting to me.  Also between Chan, Hayek and Jolie, it's going to have some serious MILFy energy that I'm looking forward to.  I'm glad they retconned Chan into a new role BTW, I liked her in HUMANs and felt she was wasted in such a small and underdeveloped part in Captain Marvel.

One more thing, I know you're a GoT fan and I think you're an Atlanta fan too, so I feel like you should enjoy that they cast Madden and Harrington and Brian Tyree Henry in this thing.  I'm pretty excited about seeing Henry in this, I hope they let him be funny.

And one last thing, Kit Harrington's character of Dane Whitman AKA Black Knight is fun.  He was introduced in a 60's Avengers run where it's the classic comic book story about an ordinary nerdy looking boy picking up an object of legend and becoming a hero--in this case an Arthurian type of knight wielding a magical sword.  He gets a Pegasus named Aragorn to ride around on too.  It should be fun to see how he gets worked into the MCU, I hope they give him his Pegasus in the movie.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/26/2021 at 8:57 AM, Momma There Goes That Man said:

@stevemcqueen1 in 3 paragraphs or more, can you tell me about the eternals and why I should be excited about this movie?

the only thing that peaked my interest is that it seems to be a different conversation than most of the other MCU films have taken in. These are what, god like creatures with more noble and just higher ambitions than domination or power. So it’s trying to have a different conversation and be a different type of film than the avengers.

but that could be an incorrect read on a teaser trailer 

You'll love the Eternals after this movie.

They have one of the most interesting backstories of any character(s) in the MCU.

I'd say more but I don't want to spoil it for ya.

This movie will be epic....IF it's done right.

• Like 3

On 5/29/2021 at 7:58 PM, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

This movie will be epic....IF it's done right.

This is the part that I'm wary of...because lately they have proved that they struggle with this part now.

My first "negative" (for lack of a better word) reaction to the Eternals trailer is that i did not see any of the Jack Kirby style machinery or cosmic scenery.

Kirby was the artist who first drew the comic and the visuals were AMAZING. Huge, grand depictions of futuristic ships, machines, planetary landscapes, etc. that dominated the background of every panel. The Eternals was easily the most eye-pleasing comic book of the 60s and 70s, despite never taking off and becoming a Marvel big seller.

I'm aware that teaser trailers are only a teaspoon of what's to come in the movie so I hope to see more.

Edit- A couple examples of Kirby's incredible artwork...

Kirby_Eternals.jpeg.4eb4d966456f8cf63f8684dc1e15bb2c.jpeg

Disney-Eternals-Kirby-edit.jpeg.5d2ddc10df00bbb6eeca094151f61fd5.jpeg

Edited by Chachie
  • Like 2