Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CONFIRMED: Scot McCloughan has accepted offer to become Redskins GM: Per Michael Robinson, Albert Breer and Ian Rapoport

Boss_Hogg

3. Draft a QB in the 4th to 7th rounds

Albert Breer on Chad Dukes show had a great take on how Scot drafts/handles the QB position. Basically he said its a shotgun approach - and more speficially he said the just keeps throwing darts.  That's why they had a bunch of guys in line to play QB until they settled on his greatest pick ever probably - Wilson.  

He swung and missed on Whitehurst,  T. Jackson, Frye, Flynn, Seneca Wallace. 

Who says McCloughan wants to keep Gruden?

I am pretty sure Scot is in charge of getting the best 53 men on the field. Don't think that includes coaches. Plus it would be stupid to dump Gruden this quick. Gruden and RG3 needs to be together at least another year. If you dump Gruden then RG3 has to start over again and won't know if RG3 is your QB or not for the long term to build a team around.

I am pretty sure Gibbs thought he could do just fine as a GM since 1986. It took him 3 years to convince JKC to get rid of Bobby Beathard

I know that.

I just love how wrong people can be when Joe Gibbs is involved. In 25 years, Joe Gibb relics will be sold with the promise of curing gout and reducing false start penalties.

I'd like to reverse that. The 2016 Draft with 10-12 picks (including multiple 1sts) and 2015 with 8.

Well, yeah ... but then my goal would be to do the same in 2016 ... turning some of those earlier 1sts or 2nds into 4ths and 5ths so that you leave with 10-12 picks in 2016 too.

But why next year when you can start this year? I get it, future future future ... but the future is now as far as I'm concerned. 12 this yaer, 12 next year, etc. load em up! Why wait a year?

Wonder if McC told snyder that this will prob be a bad team for 2 more years until the infastructure of base players are built.

Also need to agree on a nickname cause I can't spell his name

By infrastructure of players, they're really a QB away from 8-8.  Talentwise, they're suffering in some spots, but had enough in other spots that had they been competently coached and had a QB that didn't crap the bed on a weekly basis, those terrible losses in winnable games like Minn, Tampa, or San Fran would likely have been wins.  Or they're not a combined 42 points worse than the Giants in two games for instance, they just aren't. 

That's all well and good, but a huge portion of this is his doing. He's at his wits end because he flat refused to do simple things. Don't buddy up with your players, don't get involved in personnel decisions, hire a proven GM, how hard was that to do?

But the running narrative by some is that Snyder felt things didn't need to change and that giving Smith an "enhanced role" was just to appease naive fans into thinking things were gonna be different.

It would have been nice if Gibbs had that thought WHEN HE WAS RUNNING THE DAMN TEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry. I'm better now.

Gibbs was a pretty good GM but the problem was that he got Saunders the year after taking the team to the playoffs. Maybe he got bugged out. ;)

If it wasn't for that I think he was doing a good job and I was pissed when he got Saunders. You don't change and go back to zero if you had already reached to 17.

Kinda waiting for the other shoe to drop now though...

Joe Barry is apparently the front runner for DC.  There's that other shoe, haha.

Still even if Joe Barry is DC, Scot results in a net positive for the team.

One important thing on Scot McCloughan -- picking Washington had much to do with his relationship with and trust in Skins prez Bruce Allen.

FAVORITISM!  HE'S TAINTED!

But seriously, sounds like the one time friendships have worked out for us thus far (at least, that's how it looks on its face).  Problem was, of course, Allen didn't know who to pick.  I think he wanted out of the personnel role as quick as possible, it was clearly not his forte and every day he stayed we drove Snyder closer to firing him.

Desperation finally bred a hopefully decent move.

Albert Breer on Chad Dukes show had a great take on how Scot drafts/handles the QB position. Basically he said its a shotgun approach - and more speficially he said the just keeps throwing darts.  That's why they had a bunch of guys in line to play QB until they settled on his greatest pick ever probably - Wilson.  

He swung and missed on Whitehurst,  T. Jackson, Frye, Flynn, Seneca Wallace. 

That actually isn't encouraging.  I mean, it's not easy finding a franchise QB, but even we've done better than that list.  Wilson is the definitive 'got lucky' pick.  I won't give them THAT much credit for having a guy be sitting there in the 3rd round and his main competition is Matt Flynn. 

It would have been nice if Gibbs had that thought WHEN HE WAS RUNNING THE DAMN TEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry. I'm better now.

I know that.

I just love how wrong people can be when Joe Gibbs is involved. In 25 years, Joe Gibb relics will be sold with the promise of curing gout and reducing false start penalties.

Also remember that Gibbs recommended Vinny for the job.

As to why it has taken a long time to get here, Snyder did fall into the fallacy that experienced coaches know how to build teams, which is why Marty, Gibbs and Shanahan had full roster control and all ultimately failed.  In between (except for post-Gibbs) Snyder acted like many fans here and thought he could do better, whether assisted by Vinny or not.

The past five years are mostly on Allen, since he kept with the status quo probably far longer than he should have. Course, some of it was masked by Shanahan picking the players, but this year really highlighted how little they have gotten out of the draft the past 5 years.  It was pretty clear to all that something had to change.  Props to Allen for recognizing that, even if it is a little late.

Listening to Ben Standig  on 106.7 and he said Seattle was going to take Cousins if they weren't able to land Wilson.

I think the going idea is that a lot of teams liked both guys in that draft. Probably half the teams in the league thought they were gonna get a steal with one of 'em in the middle rounds.

That actually isn't encouraging.  I mean, it's not easy finding a franchise QB, but even we've done better than that list.  Wilson is the definitive 'got lucky' pick.  I won't give them THAT much credit for having a guy be sitting there in the 3rd round and his main competition is Matt Flynn. 

At that point everyone had a higher opinion of Flynn then he deserved.  He showed just enough so he looked like Aaron Rodgers and just needed the opportunity.  Quickly thereafter they learned of the true Matt Flynn.

First, welcome to Scot McCloughan.  I like this signing. He seems to have the credentials for the job. As far as the draft goes, I hope he trades back for more picks as the Redskins need as much help as they can get. Now let's see who they sign for D.C.  Do they need a S.T. coach too? I would fire him if he is still there! Bottom of the league in S. T. for years now. 

Very happy with our new GM.  This is absolutely GREAT news.

Let's be reasonable though.  He is not a savior.  There is not 1 person that can evaluate talent sooooo much better than everyone else (the legend seems to be quickly growing).  Other teams have competent people also.  Other losing teams have GMs with competent scouts.  He might fail like 80% of the teams in the league. 

But we finally have someone considered an expert on the personnel side of things, which is so important.  I would expect him to expand the scouting department and bring in other good scouts.  Thank you Dan and Bruce!  (didn't think I would ever say that) 

Am I the only one extremely concerned that we are bringing in a guy with alcohol problems and having him work directly with an alcoholic? I like his track record as a personnel guy, but it is starting to become clear that being an alcoholic is a prerequisite to being inducted into this regime. Very concerned.

More negativity and conjecture...

I am extremely happy about this entire situation if for no other reason then it is the correct way for the organization to proceed. From everything that I have read about our new GM, he has a great track record and is a REAL football guy! He knows the business, has respect of his peers,etc.... The demons don't scare me too much at least in terms of the team (I hope he is personally ok) because let's be honest, it can't get much worse around here. Truly I think Dan is starting to realize what is true about any business you run, you need to have people that know the business and are committed to success from top to bottom in the organization in order to be successful. Just by some of the tweet and quotes that are out there it really sounds like both Dan and Bruce have been humbled by this year's performance more so than the past years. Great move IMO.

Now does this immediately fix everything: NO. Tons of work to be done and who knows Scot might not be the right guy for the job, but I certainly like what he brings to the table. Very willing to give him a chance to right the ship. I wish him the best of luck and look forward to the potential of future success of our beloved Redskins!!!!! HTTR

Cant wait till mr.mccloughan gets to evaluate our o-line..out side of Trent Williams...I bet he gets a really confused look on his face and says to himself. .my god thats the worst excuse of a offensive line in history of the Nfl..damn they all need replacing except for the silver back guy at left tackle.

He might say the same thing about the three QB's on the roster.

Joe Barry is apparently the front runner for DC.  There's that other shoe, haha.

Still even if Joe Barry is DC, Scot results in a net positive for the team.

FAVORITISM!  HE'S TAINTED!

But seriously, sounds like the one time friendships have worked out for us thus far (at least, that's how it looks on its face).  Problem was, of course, Allen didn't know who to pick.  I think he wanted out of the personnel role as quick as possible, it was clearly not his forte and every day he stayed we drove Snyder closer to firing him.

Desperation finally bred a hopefully decent move.

Rumor is that Allen wanted to do this last year, but Scot needed time to get his personal life together.

Move that's been in the making since last year. They didn't feel Brown had the balls to do it. This man does. Bruce ain't never leaving

JLC who is as cynical as it gets about this team

Insanity, they say, is doing the same thing over and over, year after year, and expecting a different result. And, for the totality of Dan Snyder's tenure as owner of the Redskins, they had been in some respect, an insanely run organization.

Snyder continued to adhere to an organizational flow chart devoid of true checks and balances, without a real personnel man in charge of that side of the ball and true divisions between coaching, personnel and ownership. Finally, perhaps, that is changing. Snyder might just be seeing the big picture after all this time.

A few weeks after then general manager Bruce Allen delivered one of the most bizarre press conference performances I can ever recall to end a season, one in which he seemingly had no clue as to how deep Washington's malaise was, in which he seemed utterly out of touch with his fanbase and one in which he was completely overwhelmed by a cogent media corps, in which he infamously gushed about how the team was “winning off the field,” comes word that the Skins have completed negotiations with esteemed personnel man Scot McCloughan to take over as the general manager.

He will have full autonomy over the roster, I am told, reporting to Snyder directly for the most part (and to Allen, who remains as team president overseeing the business operations and budgets, in some instances). He has control of the roster. McCloughan's hiring will become official with a press conference that I'm told will take place by Friday.

McCloughan is moving to Virginia, he is throwing himself into this demanding job and he will be overseeing the team's pursuits in free agency and the draft. It's a bold and long, long overdue first step to getting out of the organizational dark ages and maybe charting a course to eventually become a team with a cohesive roster, a long-term plan and the ability to be competitive on at least a quasi-regular basis. Of course, concerns will linger about how much Snyder will meddle and whether Allen will butt out and not act as an in-house mole, and McCloughan must manage his demons and not let his issues with alcohol derail what could be a life-changing career opportunity. And few will believe Snyder is completely divested of meddling in football operations until they see it with their own eyes.

to read more

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24941627/why-scot-mccloughan-could-be-the-gm-to-finally-end-redskins-insanity

Rumor is that Allen wanted to do this last year, but Scot needed time to get his personal life together.

Move that's been in the making since last year. They didn't feel Brown had the balls to do it. This man does. Bruce ain't never leaving

I don't believe this for a second. If it was in the making since last year, why was it never brought up before? Think JSteelz is full of crap.

Good read.  I'll be honest, the potential that he could fall off the "semi-wagon" is a real worry.  I hope he can keep it in check.  This is an amazing opportunity for him, and for this franchise.  There's also concern with regard to Dan staying out of the picture when it comes to personal and relationships with them.  Will Scot truly have full-control?  I sure hope so -- I actually have a shred of optimism.

Archived