Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CONFIRMED: Scot McCloughan has accepted offer to become Redskins GM: Per Michael Robinson, Albert Breer and Ian Rapoport

Boss_Hogg

Anyone else concerned about Jay's future? We signed a GM prior to grabbing a defensive coordinator. Is it a possibility that we held off on securing a DC because there'd be no point in doing so if Jay's gone?

Apparently a fan of Jay. Certainly won't fire him before giving him a year to make his case.

RG3 on the other hand...

I'm sorry, but the nonsense that Snyder interferes needs to stop.   He's no  different then most owners.....the early Snyder years are long gone....minus the two years of Zorn/Vinny

I feel like I need to bump my "We don't understand the kind of bad owner Snyder is" thread. Because it was brilliant and would have explained everything to you.

Snyder's problem is not that he interferes. Snyder's problem is that he is a god awful manager who creates a toxic environment of back-biting and one-upping that destroys the team every year.

McCloughan is an incredibly talented dude. I think he will find players. The problem is that envirionment is always going to exist here and we just threw an emotional alcoholic into the mix.

I'm sorry, but the nonsense that Snyder interferes needs to stop.   He's no  different then most owners.....the early Snyder years are long gone....minus the two years of Zorn/Vinny

How would you know?

Bruce is the president of the organization, Sm reporting to him is no more than a typical chain of command thing.  Its typical protocol in any business.

No way SM takes this job if he has to have Bruce sign off on everything, Bruce had his chance and basically backed out to let a professional take the position.

I think, what we can expect, is a full clean.

Outside of a few untouchable studs (Kerrigan, Trent ... maybe Breeland) ... no one is safe and this roster will be injected with all sorts of new young talent.

Before this news I wanted OL/DL in the draft. I still do, but I also trust this re-build in the long-run ... as in 3+ years. I trust that if we don't hit one position this year, it will be eventually addressed. As in ... maybe we go DL+CB in the draft this year and don't touch OL til the 5th. I'm okay with that. I trust this guy 100x more than anyone else who's ever been here. I trust that 3 years from now, we will be much stronger, and whether that's because we got Player A in 2015 or 2017, we got him eventually.

So that being said, we have a LOT of holes. I would love it if we just stockpiled picks, because I fully trust this guy to hit some HRs in this draft, and the more picks the merrier. 

I would much rather have McC reporting to Bruce Allen than to Lord Farquaad.

Allen knows he sucks at personnel, and he knows if he is fired from the Redskins, he will never get another football job. It's why he was willing if not eager to relinquish the GM title. He's not gonna be second guessing Scott's roster decisions - which makes Allen a good buffer betwixt GM and owner.

Anyone else concerned about Jay's future? We signed a GM prior to grabbing a defensive coordinator. Is it a possibility that we held off on securing a DC because there'd be no point in doing so if Jay's gone?

Jay is on a short leash at the moment as he should be.  He had a very rough year.  He has a year to prove himself to Scot and the front office.  Hopefully, he can.  The talent is more sparse, but we got rid of Haslett and hopefully can begin addressing weaknesses with draft and free agency.

Jay still has to prove he is the man.

As unprofessional as it would be for him to share, I would love his opinion on the past few Redskin drafts.

New #Redskins GM Scot McCloughan told by Dan Snyder that owner is embarrassed and just wants to win, that he and Bruce Allen won't interfere

Anybody have a flying pig gif at the ready?  I'll take frozen Hell, too.

I think he stole that from me. I wrote a draft manifesto here years ago that basically said that first thing verbatim. 

The "Andrew Brandt on Scot McCloughan's draft philosophy" part? 

Concerned? I hope he has that ability as general manager. In fact, I hope that's part of what is holding this thing up. That's not to say that he'd remove Gruden, but I certainly want him to be able to if he wanted. Nothing worse than assembling a roster for a guy you don't want around. Nothing.

Basically, under the old structure, I would have thrown a fit if we drafted Shane Ray at #5 this year because we drafted Trent Muprhy last year. It would have admitted utter failure. With McCloughan ... I am perfectly fine with him putting his stamp on this team, regardless of what the last guy picked, if that makes sense. Start from scratch. No one is safe!

I would like to see this team built around: 

Offense:

Trent Williams, Morgan Moses, Spencer Long, DeSean Jackson, Alfred Morris

Defense:

Keenan Robinson, Ryan Kerrigan, Trent Murphy, Bashaud Breeland

No one else is safe. The only reason some of those guys are on that list is because we spent high picks on them in 2014 and would like to see them given a chance. That is all. 

I would bet all the money he was no higher than 5th if he was on his draft sheet.

Yeah, I was kinda joking but it would be interesting if you could find out exactly what his thoughts were on our top end picks over the last handful of years. I guess we will soon enough when he takes control of the roster.

Anyway, hopefully the next few drafts are a damn sight better.

I would much rather have McC reporting to Bruce Allen than to Lord Farquaad.

Allen knows he sucks at personnel, and he knows if he is fired from the Redskins, he will never get another football job. It's why he was willing if not eager to relinquish the GM title. He's not gonna be second guessing Scott's roster decisions - which makes Allen a good buffer betwixt GM and owner.

lmao at Lord Farquad.hahaha crying at work. But you're right.

New #Redskins GM Scot McCloughan told by Dan Snyder that owner is embarrassed and just wants to win, that he and Bruce Allen won't interfere

I saw this too.  I wonder how long that embarrassment will last and keep Dan/Bruce out.  Especially if this team seems on the cusp of greatness in the next few years.  Will they be able to resist? 

^^ I think we know his opinion of the Redskins.

Every printed quote from this guy over the past few years is in stark contrast to the way the Skins handle their business.

It looks like he will have full control over the roster, so that seems like a good start.

I believe it. Some will say Yeah right. But Snyder isn't getting any younger. He's owned this team for many years without a winning product. He knows it's time to let a football person handle it

I feel like I need to bump my "We don't understand the kind of bad owner Snyder is" thread. Because it was brilliant and would have explained everything to you.

Snyder's problem is not that he interferes. Snyder's problem is that he is a god awful manager who creates a toxic environment of back-biting and one-upping that destroys the team every year.

McCloughan is an incredibly talented dude. I think he will find players. The problem is that envirionment is always going to exist here and we just threw an emotional alcoholic into the mix.

complete nonsense.....you know what causes these problems?    bad coaching....bad QB play.   

Archived