Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CONFIRMED: Scot McCloughan has accepted offer to become Redskins GM: Per Michael Robinson, Albert Breer and Ian Rapoport

Boss_Hogg

For Gods sake people. Look up, see the sun and enjoy it. Stop looking down and seeing the shadow it creates under your feet and calling it bad.

Its like walking down the street kicking the can in the gutter and cursing under your breath...you just missed the pretty girl that walked by and smiled at you.

Sheesh.

The Falcons, after the Vick scandal, finished 4-12 & looked hopeless. Arthur Blank hired a GM & they made the playoffs next year due to a quality draft & free agency moves.. I'm not saying that the Skins can turn it around in one year. What I'm saying is that in football having quality football minds making decisions can change your organization quicker than you think. We're not one piece away but if our GM can have his own philosophy of what we need to succeed & make proper moves like hoarding draft picks & staying away from splashy FA signings , build a unit & guys that fit a system we can succeed sooner than later. Look at the Nationals since Rizzo came in as GM. He had a plan & if you have a proper plan & have the ability to find the right guys you will win consistently.

If the Redskins have a Quality draft (however you define that ... multiple mid-round picks, trade down in 1st, grab two studs in 1st and 2nd, whatever) ... and can sign a group of hungry, young and talented free agents, and mix that in with a competent DC, I could see this team finishing in the 6-10 to 8-8 range next year on defensive improvements and better depth/OL alone. Throw in a rejuvenated QB position if RG3 can re-establish himself and we might make a push.

BUT, I'm going to be perfectly satisfied with a 6-10 to 8-8 team if I can see the young pieces devloping and an OL emerging.

Let's face it, if we get a DC like Wade Phillips in here, with a competent draft and FA cycle, if Robert is the Robert of 2012 we could make the playoffs regardless. If he's the Robert of 2013-2014 we'll be picking at the top of the draft next year, but with a much better foundation beneath the lack of a QB and I would fully trust McCloughan to find the next QB too.

FYI, I think it was Albert Breer that mentioned that when SF and Seattle couldn't find that franchise QB, the approach was to keep taking stabs (but none with a 1st or 2nd round pick). Even in Green Bay, that was the Ron Wolff model. Draft mid-round guys, develop them, trade them or whatever. Aaron Brooks, Tavaris Jackson, Charlie Whitehurst, Matt Flynn. None of them were really major investments frmo a draft standpoint, so they could't be considered busts, but those non-franchise guys eventually led the Kaepernick (2nd rounder) and Wilson (3rd rounder) and Rodgers (late 1st rounder) and earlier on Favre (4th i thnk?) emerging. I don't mind that approach to our QB situation if RObert is not the answer.

I personally don't think qdeathstar was being rascist in his post. Yes, he could have worded it better, but overall I agree with him and I think he was just trying to make a point. And it was a very good point IN MY OPINION.

Geez, it's sad that others are picking on a fellow skins fan for that...lol. Wow.

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer

On Scot McCloughan, expect to see a 4-year deal done with Skins this morning. Plan is for him to fly to DC by Friday morning.

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/552838801283108865

The way people were talking yesterday I thought he was already in DC lol

One of yesterday's tweets said he spent 6 hours with Dan yesterday...I thought he was in dc. Interesting

this isn't apples to apples, but a Michigan fan could be saying right now ... so we just gave a monster contract to a guy who not only was let go for all intent in purposes by his former team, but also could not get along with players and management allegedly. 

I think Michigan fans should be saying that. Harbaugh seems like a dude who flames out after a few years. That may work better in college than in the pros since the players turn over every four years. But I would be cautious.

If you read the ESPN article, York didn't fire him because San Francisco is a joke. But showing up drunk to meetings, living in the building and badmouthing everyone is going to get you fired from most jobs. He and York still seem to be friends.

His departure from Seattle is clouded in mystery.

Whatever. The dude is a talent. No doubt about that. But my fear remains the same. Redskins Park is and always has been toxic under Synder. I assume that anyone not named Joe Gibbs is going to be consumed by the toxicity. And even Gibbs made some very Snydery decisions here. Pulling up a problem drinker - who I might add STILL DRINKS - from the West Coast and throwing him into that pit in Ashburn is concerning.

It could work; I hope it works. But outside of Oakland, there is no worst place in the NFL to work, and I think it will take a remarkable person to overcome all the obstacles here.

(Seriously, every crazy Snyder story seems to involve him forcing his execs to drink Crown Royal with him while he makes whacky decisions. And now, the GM has a history of problem drinking. This is like a Mad Men script).

(Seriously, every crazy Snyder story seems to involve him forcing his execs to drink Crown Royal with him while he makes whacky decisions. And now, the GM has a history of problem drinking. This is like a Mad Men script).

Snyder doesn't like Crown Royal only vanilla. ;) I know the dark lord has the power to make him hit the bottle again, I hope that's behind him for good.

Let's see what are the clauses of his contract. I hope he'll get full power over the staff, eventhough it sounds a little bit stupid knowing the meddling egomaniac and his love for yes men.

I'm so jaded that even an obvious mega slam dunk move like this just gets a meh emotionally. That's where I am now. Sure he may not have had all the credit for the Hawks and Niners but he was definitely important, and now we land him and I dunno. People forget that Vinny was the director of college scouting for the Super Bowl winning 49ers and became director of player personnel and they kept winning (it also begs the question - could Vinny have succeeded with a better organizational infrastructure or was his performance in San Fran in the 90s a fluke?)

Question is, how much patience will there be? Even the great GMs draft bombs. If McClouhan has a meh 2015 draft, will people get antsy?

recheck Vinny's drafts. The Niners won those super bowls with Walsh's players. 

Down the line Vinny would contribute two what was ghastly draft after ghastly draft. The Niners players that were collected during the Cerrato-Clark-Policy years were the foundation of the 1996 and beyond Niners, in other words, the horrible teams, and the very last of the playoff sides ('95-'98), all of which were built largely around Walsh's guys, and a couple of post-Walsh guys. If you want to give some credit to Cerrato, you can say he played some sort of role, maybe a large role, in the acquisition of guys like Bryant Young, Dana Stubblefied, T.O., maybe Merton Hanks. But the Niners drafts from that decade are regarded and rightly so by their fans as largely total disasters with only a few exceptions. The team was able to coast for a while on the guys brought in during the tail end of the Walsh years, particularly his famed 1986 draft. 

Vinny's role was expanded after the draft in '92, and eventually he was the guy running all aspects of the draft by '95, look at the drafts:

1998 1 28 R.W. McQuarters CB Oklahoma State 2 58 Jeremy Newberry C California 3 89 Chris Ruhman T Texas A&M 4 119 Lance Schulters DB Hofstra 5 151 Phil Ostrowski G Penn State 6 180 Fred Beasley RB Auburn 7 215 Ryan Thelwell WR Minnesota

1997 - SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS RD SEL # PLAYER POSITION SCHOOL 1 26 Jim Druckenmiller QB Virginia Tech 2 55 Marc Edwards RB Notre Dame 3 77 Greg Clark TE Stanford

1996 - SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS RD SEL # PLAYER POSITION SCHOOL 2 46 Israel Ifeanyichukwu DE USC 3 89 Terrell Owens WR Tennessee-Chattanooga 4 128 Daryl Price DE Colorado 5 160 Iheanyi Uwaezuoke WR California 6 198 Stephen Pitts -- Penn State 7 239 Sean Manuel TE New Mexico State 7 254 Sam Manuel -- New Mexico State

1995 - SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS RD SEL # PLAYER POSITION SCHOOL 1 10 J.J. Stokes WR UCLA 4 127 Tim Hanshaw G Brigham Young 6 201 Antonio Armstrong LB Texas A&M 7 238 Herb Coleman -- Trinity (Tex.)

1994 - SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS RD SEL # PLAYER POSITION SCHOOL 1 7 Bryant Young DT Notre Dame 1 28 William Floyd FB Florida State 2 53 Kevin Mitchell LB Syracuse 2 62 Tyronne Drakeford CB Virginia Tech 3 85 Doug Brien K California 3 87 Cory Fleming WR Tennessee 5 153 Tony Peterson LB Notre Dame 6 182 Lee Woodall OLB West Chester

1993 - SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS RD SEL # PLAYER POSITION SCHOOL 1 26 Dana Stubblefield DT Kansas 1 27 Todd Kelly OLB Tennessee 2 48 Adrian Hardy CB Northwestern State-Louisiana 5 116 Artie Smith DE Louisiana Tech 6 166 Chris Dalman G Stanford 7 194 Troy Wilson DE Pittsburg State 8 219 Elvis Grbac QB Michigan

Those are horrific drafts, and quite remiscent of the Redskins drafts during his tenure where he'd help land a couple of names here and there like Arrington, Samuels, Taylor, and Orakpo, and virtually nothing else whatsoever. He exhibited the same traits in SF, landing a couple of stars, a good role player or two and a colossal pile of busts, and non-entities (I hesitate "all the picks after round 1, or round 2, as busts, since after the first 30-45 picks, you tend to miss on more than you hit, but when you miss on just about all of them, whatever the word is for it, it sucks). 

New DC Sports Bog Post about McCloughan: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2015/01/07/scot-mccloughan-likes-building-teams-through-the-draft/

This quote jumped out at me right away:

McCloughan said he has no inclination to pursue the most expensive names in free agency (think receiver Reggie Wayne or safety Ed Reed). “You go get the big name, the fans will love it,” McCloughan said. “And maybe we will at some point. But I don’t think you invest all your money in one guy when your roster looks like this right now

Nice research but IF we are now FINALLY doing this the right way and setting about building a perennial challenging team then scrap any FA's over 27/28.

We aren't contending for anything in 2015 with the current ****tip of a roster and Coaching staff so you set about building for the long haul with quality young guys. The FA age limit right now be 26. 27 max in exceptional guys cases. THEN when the roster is formed down the line can you augment with quality vets as and when needed to take you over the edge.

I agree with you, 100%. The only guys I would consider that are above that age are Ray McDonald and Ahmed Brooks ... two guys that cuold be pretty cheap, fit positions of need, and would allow for a transition to a younger, drafted group of guys. Of course, that would just be my justifcation if it happened. I would prefer we stick to younger guys.

James Carpenter is 25 ... Mike Iupati is 27 ... Clint Boling is 25 ... those are 3 interior OL that would be perfectly fine, IMO, to be signed at big contracts.

Jeron Johnson wouldn't be pricey, as he has been a back-up in Seattle ... but he's 26 ...

Byron Maxwell is a solid CB who migh command a lot of money, so we'll see. But he's also just 26.

That being said, the more draft picks the better. I would not be surprised to see us add 1 DL, 1 OL, 1 LB, 1 CB, 1 S through the draft process ... which would give us players in positions of need to build around. McCloughan has a proven track record of drafting LBs and CBs and SAF in the mid-rounds. Maxwell, Sherman, Thurmond, Chancellor ... all 4th or 5th rounders. 

Iupati and Carpenter were late 1sts 

Whatever. The dude is a talent. No doubt about that. But my fear remains the same. Redskins Park is and always has been toxic under Synder. I assume that anyone not named Joe Gibbs is going to be consumed by the toxicity. 

can't argue with that LKB ... especially the above. 

Snyder is gonna Synder ... that's a fact. 

New DC Sports Bog Post about McCloughan: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2015/01/07/scot-mccloughan-likes-building-teams-through-the-draft/

This quote jumped out at me right away:

Good we are not going after Suh. Too much money...

One thing I love about Mcglouhan (really need to add that name to spell check), is he is not just looking for good players--who isn't. But he is looking for something sorely lacking here: Chemistry. He wants to identify players who will work together to form a team.

On the topic of FA v. Draft though, those comments really do make me happy. I would much rather build a team through the draft and add pieces via FA. that's the way winning organizations DO IT. 

That should not, however; preclude us from targeting free agents at all. Just not big splashes. Of those guys I mentioned, I don't know how many/if any would be considered in that realm of "splashy" ... Byron Maxwell might get the most money, and maybe that is too far into the "splash" territory ... but I would not see multiple Jeron Johnson signings as "splashes" that get media attention ... but those are the signings that don't make headlines on Sports Center but show up when the guy is a pro-bowler and you say "huh, where did that come from?!" ... 

Now, I'm not sure any OL signing otuside of maybe a monster OG deal or a LT deal would be considered "sexy splashes" to anyone ... and I don't see Iupati or Carptner or Boling getting massive deals. Would just be solid additions to the OL, and a young OG to build around with Trent (and draft picks).

If we emerged from FA having signed a bunch of young hungry players to 1-2 year cheap deals and only added SS Jeron Johnson, FS Tashaun Gipson, and OG James Carpenter then I would be more than pleased. 

What?? This whole post needs to be deleted. I understand the that the rule and how it is fulfilled is BS but, this post? Dude, this is just hate filled racism.

He was doing an impression of what he regards as the disingenuous racism of owners when handling the Rooney Rule, and using some charged racist language to underline what he think is the true story behind the racist behavior/tokenism of the owners. 

Reread what he wrote and you can see what he means there.

I disagree with him, but understand his p.o.v. It is tokenism, but before the rooney rule, it was virtually impossible to get any of the white owners to interview African-Americans for HC jobs, Coordinator jobs, or GM jobs etc. You only have to turn back the clock to the days of Joe Montana, Phil Simms and Marino to locate a league wide bias against African-American QB's. 

You had to force these idiots and racists, as well as the simply social ignorant's (rich old white guys that had never hung out with any African-American's and were more comfortable with what they knew-fellow old white guys) to even entertain the thought of "not hiring" an African American candidate after an interview, let alone having an interview at all. It was a long road and the Rooney Rule was put in place to open the door to candidates. It creates some uncomfortable and ugly situations at times, but it's definitely a major improvement over the Al Campanis attitude that reflected quite well the thinking in a majority of F.O.'s just a generation ago. 

Love this one: * If the 49ers get the No. 1 or No. 2 pick in the draft, McCloughan favors seeking a trade for a slew of choices, even if Reggie Bush is there to be selected. “One guy is not going to make us a 10-6 team next year,” McCloughan said. “It might make you maybe 6-10, but if we have four or five players, maybe two years from now, that makes it a 10-6 team, because now you have more depth.”

Per source, deal still not done between Scot McClougan and Washington. It's still expected to get done.

Right now, Snyder is standing in front of McClougan with a briefcase filled with money, a contract, and a tumbler of Crown Royal.

"All is agreed then. Excellent. Only one thing left to do. Drink from the glass."

"Sir, I don't think it's a good idea."

"I care not for your good ideas. Drink. And prove yourself loyal to me."

"Sir, I would rather not."

"Drink!"

And this goes on for like six hours.........

Archived