Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CONFIRMED: Scot McCloughan has accepted offer to become Redskins GM: Per Michael Robinson, Albert Breer and Ian Rapoport

Boss_Hogg

Another interesting name could be Dion Bailey, S from USC on the Seahawks' practice squad. Dude was on a lot of ES draft board last year ... the Skins could sign him off the squad and to a deal if there's potential there, why not?

The better question is why?

Well, he did sign Justin Smith in 2008, so its not like he won't spend big money.

If you read further, he talks about when he was with the Packers and they signed Reggie White. Said it was a good move because they were a damn good football team at the time. Think he'll look to add bigger name guys in FA if he thinks the team is close to contending, if not, he's not really into the big names.

I think he's making a point, not being racist.  And his second sentence is an extreme satire to highlight how John Q. Owner might look at the rule.  And the point he makes is a good one.  I've always felt like it would suck to know that someone brought you in solely because they have to due to the color of your skin, not necessarily because they actually are considering you. 

I'm not going to get into the original post and racism...but I am going to chime in on the Rooney Rule and its implementation.

The Rooney Rule was created for the sake of diversity, yes? And outside of forcing organizations to include minorities in the interview process, what else can you do to encourage diversity?

Do teams invite token minority candidates for the sole purpose of satisfying the rule even after they've made a decision?

Of course they do.

Do those minority candidates have to accept the interview?

No, they don't. 

My point is that you can't just lay this at the feet of the owner/organization calling up minority candidates to satisfy the rule. The candidates actually accept the invitation...it takes two to tango...

I wasn't too excited on this move yesterday before it was announced and I'm still not. Not to say I'm negative on it, but I still need to see it to believe it. We've seen coaches who were great in one place and then struggled in other places. We've seen the same things from other GMs. We've also seen Dan Snyder say a lot of things about change yet not much structural change as happened. Scott Campbell is still here. He was here under Vinny, and under Allen, and if he's here under SM, I will have serious doubts. Maybe Campbell is that good, but just like people were saying about Haslett, there's no reason why this guy either hasn't been promoted/interviewed for a GM job or just fired. I never hear about his rep for being the best draft guru. In fact, I remember both Vinny in 2008 and Shanahan in 2010 saying that he'd listen to scouts more, which I thought implied that Campbell's role would be higher. And then Allen said the same thing in 2014. So my impression is that Campbell had the most impact on the 2014 draft as he's had in his time here, and I've got to say he's had at best marginal drafts with some real stinkers. So why is he still here.

How big will our scouting department be? I went on this investigation and different reports say different things. Some media members say we have the smallest. The Redskins Media guide says we have one that's on par with most other teams. But why can't we have even more scouts? Why not have the biggest scouting department in the league?

I'm not necessarily judging "results" but I am looking at how much of this is actual change and how much of it is lipstick on a pig.

If you read further, he talks about when he was with the Packers and they signed Reggie White. Said it was a good move because they were a damn good football team at the time. Think he'll look to add bigger name guys in FA if he thinks the team is close to contending, if not, he's not really into the big names.

Which makes a ton of sense, and also speaks to his draft philosophy shown in another article.

He talked about how when you are an untalented team that's not good record wise, your focus on the draft should be grabbing BPA. Get talent and stock your roster over a few drafts.

Once you have a talented and solid team, then you transition your draft to look at players and go "Where do they fit on this team right now" and taking "fit" (not necessarily "need") into account more.

I imagine it's similar with free agents.

When you're an untalented team then you need to be looking at young and cheaper free agents that aren't going to saddle you with bad contracts by the time you get things turned around and may have a chance to show that the contract you got them on is a steal.

Once you've built talent on the team and you're having success, THAT's when you look at adding that one or two BIG pieces in Free Agency that possibly help put you over the top in a one-two year time span.

When you're bad...free agency needs to simply be a supplemental way of building a roster full of cheap potential.

When you're good...free agency is the ability to add the cherry on top of the sunday.

It's going to be interesting. Would be really surprised if RG3 is opening day starter now based on what I've heard about Scott M and Jay. Predict we draft a QB in middle rounds, there's an open comp between RG3 and KC, and KC wins it going away,

Am I the only one extremely concerned that we are bringing in a guy with alcohol problems and having him work directly with an alcoholic? I like his track record as a personnel guy, but it is starting to become clear that being an alcoholic is a prerequisite to being inducted into this regime. Very concerned. 

These things (contracts) take time, especially when it's believed Scot will have 100% control over personnel. 

No need to panic

Yeah, this is a major shift across a wide number of fronts.  Gonna take some time.

I suppose they could sign a preliminary "contract" in order to be able to announce it, but that's unnecessary and would be more for the media and fans than actually something substantive.

Does anyone know if McCloughan will have full control over players and coaches? Sorry, it this has already been addressed, I did not see it in the thread. Thanks. I am liking the news, I hope it is a good step in the right direction.

"Rich Tandler of CSNWashington.com said on today’s PFT Live that McCloughan is expected to have full control over personnel as the G.M. in D.C."

It's going to be interesting. Would be really surprised if RG3 is opening day starter now based on what I've heard about Scott M and Jay. Predict we draft a QB in middle rounds, there's an open comp between RG3 and KC, and KC wins it going away,

Kinda hoping whoever we draft beats out both in my opinion. Ready to move on from both.

Am I the only one extremely concerned that we are bringing in a guy with alcohol problems and having him work directly with an alcoholic? I like his track record as a personnel guy, but it is starting to become clear that being an alcoholic is a prerequisite to being inducted into this regime. Very concerned. 

Dan Synder is hiring a dude with demons.

What could possibly go wrong?

Archived