Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CONFIRMED: Scot McCloughan has accepted offer to become Redskins GM: Per Michael Robinson, Albert Breer and Ian Rapoport

Boss_Hogg

Wow

Sources: #Redskins reached out to respected personnel man Scot McCloughan about being a top executive for them. Was out of football in ’14.

January 6th UPDATE: we finally have a GM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There it is RT @RealMikeRob: BREAKING! Scot McCloughan will be Redskins GM. Just spoke with him! Good for you! Press conference end of week

Washington Post Troll

Source says Redskins and McCloughan do not have a deal and the team has not offered him the job.

Scot McCloughan has accepted a job as Redskins GM, they're negotiating the contract now.

January 7th:

Redskins GM Scot McCloughan has final say over the 53-man roster.

He has quite a "pedigree", my question being  will he be willing to work for the meddling egomaniac ?

That woulkd also mean we let him pick up his staff, including the coaches.

Not going to happen.

McCloughan drafted Dashon Goldson, Frank Gore, Vernon Davis, Joe Staley and Patrick Willis during his time with the 49ers as GM and VP of football operations. He then helped identify key players for Seattle such as Richard Sherman, Russell Wilson, K.J. Wright and Bobby Wagner that allowed Seattle to win their first Super Bowl.

It's a little sad that half of our analysis when discussing whether certain people will come here centers around whether they'll be willing to step into a dysfunctional organization.  Hopefully we won't scare talent away.

On Scot himself definitely interested.

Must...keep...hope...constrained...Fool me once...mad...fool twice, how could you...ARRGH Giorgio Armani!  Won't get fooled again.

My god I am actually feeling a bit of optimism.

Me too, but how does A.J. Smith fit in now or will they be working together? or is Smith out?

I'm still hoping the team/owner is listening to fans about hiring a new OL coach and getting a QB coach. I'll tell you if I hear they fired Foerster and picked up Russ Grimm I'll "PEEZMYPANTS" !!!!!!! I'm not sure who would be the better DC but I'm already happy a little that they canned Haslett. Obviously the guy from the 49ers would be awesome but that might be a no go since the team didn't let the Skins interview him. The other two (49ers DB coach) and (Chargers LB coach) might be good but they would be giving the defensive keys to a rookie DC. That concerns me a little. I see Phillips getting the job cause his son is already a coach here and cause he probably watched most of the games and can tell the organization what he would do differently with the talent we have. He might have enough knowledge of the talent to fix the problems here.

This dude practically helped build the 49ers and Seahawks to what they are today. If i were Dan, i would tell Scot to name his price..

An apartment for him and his gal, I would throw in alcohol but it sounds like he's trying to recover. If he's getting 75,000 from teams just to give them names of players they should draft he's going to command a lot more to work for a team, but titles are everything also. He might want the GM title. Would Allen give it up and simply be the President?

To me replacing and adding to a coaching staff is a piece of cake -- the team has been there and done that many times.  There is the one thing the team hasn't done, hire a top rate GM, a guy who is on the rise.

If they make this move, it would make my off season, don't care what the heck they do next.   Not having a top rate GM-personnel person to me by a mile is the biggest problem on this team.  

The mere idea that the team is finally looking to go through the top of the litter in personnel is huge versus business as usual which would be who does Dan have fun with at Mortons the most.

Having said that if a team like the Raiders will give him the GM title, I don't see how he comes here.  If Bruce cares more about his power and wants the title versus really winning -- it wouldn't shock me but it will be disappointing.  

Here's the other elephant in the room to consider... if they hire a DC and THEN get Mac, what the heck are we doing?

If this is a move we make, Mac needs to be on board prior to making the decision on the DC. He needs to be a part of the second round of interviews/conversations.

If it happens the other way, is anything really changing?

I still have a ton of reservations about this. I was burned hard last year from believing that what they were doing was different. But I can be swayed fairly easily with just a few simple, obvious moves.

If not the owner could, you know, tell him that's what he's doing :)

Yeah, I was going to say, this is where Dan needs to step up and make a change.

The question is, did Dan have any knowledge of this guy prior to today?  Who reached out to him, Dan or Bruce (or AJ...or Gruden)?  Who knew about him in the first instance.

I'd like to think that Dan would step in and enforce a change, but I question whether he knows these guys well enough to step in.  Especially if Bruce was the first guy to mention him in meetings; Dan might just nod his head to his current GM and not get the bright idea that maybe shifting Bruce over would be beneficial.

I'll drink all his booze for him. 

Need a chauffeur mister McCloughan?

I can tap-dance too. 

Please don't do those first two at the same time, if he is magically brought on board we need him alive and well.

Here's the other elephant in the room to consider... if they hire a DC and THEN get Mac, what the heck are we doing?

If this is a move we make, Mac needs to be on board prior to making the decision on the DC. He needs to be a part of the second round of interviews/conversations.

I wondered about this too.  I hope we don't screw this up by putting the cart before the horse and telling the horse to push.

While I'm at it, here's the other elephant in the room:

How many damn executives do we need? AJ Smith, Bruce Allen, Dan Snyder, Scot McCloughan... At some point, we're dealing with a ton of chefs in the kitchen. If we bring McCloughan in, what role do the other guys play?

This whole thing still doesn't pass the sniff test so far.

Archived