Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CONFIRMED: Scot McCloughan has accepted offer to become Redskins GM: Per Michael Robinson, Albert Breer and Ian Rapoport

Boss_Hogg

Me too, but how does A.J. Smith fit in now or will they be working together? or is Smith out?

Yeah, I'm also a bit confused on both the timeline and potential hierarchy, so I'm just sitting back and sipping coffee until it's all over.  It's not worth digging too deep until it seems like the men in charge have it figured out.  It kind of sounds like Smith would be the executive chef, MacCloughan would be the sous chef, and Bruce would be the maître d', but who knows?

He won't be coming here

This is where I'm at, though I can't say for certain.

Until we see a difference in the way things are done, I'm convinced that the current FO is just excellent at making things look good, or "winning off the field". 

They asked for interviews for Schwartz and Fangio knowing that those guys were going to be in consideration for their current team's head coaching position, and therefore they HAD to know they'd get denied. But it looks really good.

They elevated AJ Smith's role (to what, exactly, and is it really any different or just a bit more money and a new title that no one knows?).

They interview Wade Phillips.

They mention they have interest in McCloughan. Mind you, there's nothing concrete. Just interest.

I could still see us staying with the current FO set up (and Smith's "elevated role") and hiring Morris with the rest of this being PR spin so they can say, "hey, we tried many ways to improve the team, but things just didn't align for us the way we wanted".

McCloughan is relishing being his own boss and running a scouting service, but may decide to meet with an NFL team or teams ...

0 replies2 retweets1 favorite

Retweet2

Favorite1

More

Esteemed personnel exec Scot McCloughan is weighing offers from at least 3 teams for prominent front office positions. Has much to mull...

get it done! whatever it takes

this could be really good for his career. imagine finally making the redskisn great after all these yaers of failure. his reputation and his legacy would be of greatness.  Now the other side, redskins have too much drama.  Too much issues, too many holes, danny likes to stick his nose in things, and so on and so forth.

lets hope danny and everyone does right and convinces him to come.

My god I am actually feeling a bit of optimism.

My father never liked doctors. It was obvious to everyone that he was sick, but he refused to get treatment. Every other year he'd give an inch, when it was clear, based on his physical condition, he needed to give a mile. Instead of seeing a doctor, he'd get an "expert's opinion" over the phone, or he'd do his own "research" on the Internet, but he'd never go to the doctor's office, sit his stubborn ass on the chair, and get squared away. Eventually, he succumbed to his condition.

My point is, the Redskins can do this half-assed all they want, but they'll never see the results until they go all in. No more consultants; no more ambiguous roles; no more vague job descriptions and responsibilities. Find a guy to fix this mess and give him a clear, defined role and title. What is his job, who does he answer to? Will he be accountable for any mishap related to his responsibilities, or will he eventually blame Bruce Allen, much in the same way Bruce can blame Shanahan for the personnel issues these past 6 years?

It's gas.

Don't trick yourself into feeling it until you see it. :)

We're like people in the queue to watch the last blockbuster movie going out to theaters.

We're getting excited because it's gonna be huge.

But sometimes, it just suck :D

Well, Haz needs a job and is capable of creating holes big enough for cars.

Raheem Morris is good at that also :)

Yeah, I'm also a bit confused on both the timeline and potential hierarchy, so I'm just sitting back and sipping coffee until it's all over.  It's not worth digging too deep until it seems like the men in charge have it figured out.  It kind of sounds like Smith would be the executive chef, MacCloughan would be the sous chef, and Bruce would be the maître d', but who knows?

The hierarchy seems like it could shape up to be a mess.  A lot of sideways arrows on the organizational chart. 

Here's the other elephant in the room to consider... if they hire a DC and THEN get Mac, what the heck are we doing?

If this is a move we make, Mac needs to be on board prior to making the decision on the DC. He needs to be a part of the second round of interviews/conversations.

He absolutely needs to be involved with the DC search.   To be honest, he needs to evaluate Gruden and make a decision on whether to fire him or not.   Although I'm not sold either way on Gruden, I'd be okay with him being asked to leave if that decision were made by a new GM who had full personnel control and control over coaching hires.

While I'm at it, here's the other elephant in the room:

How many damn executives do we need? AJ Smith, Bruce Allen, Dan Snyder, Scot McCloughan... At some point, we're dealing with a ton of chefs in the kitchen. If we bring McCloughan in, what role do the other guys play?

This whole thing still doesn't pass the sniff test so far.

Agree, they have to find a hierarchy that works.  But IMO the #1 problem with this team is that since when have we had a top level personnel executive who is even considered mediocre at their job, never mind among the best.

Bringing a stud personnel person doesn't fit the been there done that drill with this team.  It's been the one thing that the team hasn't done.  And most successful teams do.

While I'm at it, here's the other elephant in the room:

How many damn executives do we need? AJ Smith, Bruce Allen, Dan Snyder, Scot McCloughan... At some point, we're dealing with a ton of chefs in the kitchen. If we bring McCloughan in, what role do the other guys play?

This whole thing still doesn't pass the sniff test so far.

How big is said room...that's a lot of elephants. 

I'll be happy when he's hired. Just cause they talked or reached out to him really doesn't do it for me. They could be just doing that to calm down the fanbase and the media. I just don't trust Bruce and most certainly not Snyder. When he's hired I'll get out my pom poms.

The hierarchy seems like it could shape up to be a mess.  A lot of sideways arrows on the organizational chart. 

It could be that we gauged Smith's interest late last week and over the weekend only to find out that he's really not up for coming here for a full-time gig. That's what I'm hoping so that there seems to be some structure to this process. Just accumulating a bunch of personnel guys (even very good ones) won't work if there aren't roles and responsibilities. 

Here's the other elephant in the room to consider... if they hire a DC and THEN get Mac, what the heck are we doing?

If this is a move we make, Mac needs to be on board prior to making the decision on the DC. He needs to be a part of the second round of interviews/conversations.

If it happens the other way, is anything really changing?

I still have a ton of reservations about this. I was burned hard last year from believing that what they were doing was different. But I can be swayed fairly easily with just a few simple, obvious moves.

That's just it, also how good is Scott at picking coaches? Clearly he studies players and knows who is good enough for the NFL. Another thing if this crap show bombs next year again I'd imagine Gruden and company would be gone which would then allow Scott to pick however he thinks should get the job.

McCloughan is relishing being his own boss and running a scouting service, but may decide to meet with an NFL team or teams ...

Esteemed personnel exec Scot McCloughan is weighing offers from at least 3 teams for prominent front office positions. Has much to mull...

Crud, we're doomed.  It's like Rex Ryan all over again.  Sure, there's a teeeeeeeeny tiny outside chance we beat out the other options...but unlikely.  Especially if he's got the chance to be the boss of a scouting service.  Sounds like a sweet gig.

Sigh, mildly hopeful to mostly crushed in 2 hours.

Archived