Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CONFIRMED: Scot McCloughan has accepted offer to become Redskins GM: Per Michael Robinson, Albert Breer and Ian Rapoport

Boss_Hogg

Crud, we're doomed.  It's like Rex Ryan all over again.  Sure, there's a teeeeeeeeny tiny outside chance we beat out the other options...but unlikely.  Especially if he's got the chance to be the boss of a scouting service.  Sounds like a sweet gig.

Sigh, mildly hopeful to mostly crushed in 2 hours.

story of our lives as skins fans...

McCloughan has been out of football. And the reason being alcohol.

In a story from last month by Seth Wickersham for ESPN, McCloughan, who lives on a farm in a remote area outside of Seattle, from where he runs a scouting service.

"I had a drinking problem,” said McCloughan. "I'm a good person. And I know how to run a team.”

Link

he can drink meth for all i care, if he can find players and build a winner i do not care.

Not to make light of his drinking issues ... but I would imagine this is likely the last place he would want to go ... just dealing with Snyder alone would be torture but doesn't Dan have a pension for drinking? I would imagine anyone close to McCloughan who knows anything about the way the Skins are run would advise him not to come anywhere near the team

Unless, of course, he was given a hefty contract and told he has full run of the show for 5 years with 0 interference from Dannyboy.

But what are the chances that ACTUALLY happens?

he can drink meth for all i care, if he can find players and build a winner i do not care.

Speaking the truth from more Wine ^_^ . Just trying to find out what were the personal issues that took him out of the game, hope he'll got it fixed.

The only way to have a very little chance to hire him is to give him real full power meaning probably getting rid of all the Florida goodfellas (Allen, Gruden, etc...). Last but not least we've got the number one repellent in Snyder, so I say it's unlikely he'll join us.

If this really happens; then you let the man have complete control. He decides if Jay stays, if Robert stays, etc...

The GM will have the authority to build the team the right way and staff it with the coaches and players he feels will do the job.

If you don't do that, then this is just a PR ploy designed to cover to the real disappointing choice.

We would give him the title of Director of Pro Player Personnel or something like that, with concentrating on the roster, so whether or not we hired Wade would be immaterial. I wouldn't need him to approve coaching staff. Maybe after he is hired, id want his input, but not his decision. Stick to the players.

If they do end up hiring him, keep AJ as Director of west coast scouting.

In terms of money 75K (amount each team gave for evaluations) times 32 is 2.4 million.

Bump that to 2.88M (20% increase) per year as a starting point.

Be perfectly willing to go to 3M, and even north of that.  Talk to him about if he wants a support structure.  Get him a farm out in Stafford or something if he wants.  Heck, get him an island and put a farm on it if he wants.

If we've even got an outside chance of landing him, we need to do everything.  We might be doomed, but we shouldn't go down without a fight.

The Raiders look like the better bet, he lives-kids are in North California.  Raiders more likely to give him control.  I'd guess for Danny he'd have to overpay to get him.  

Besides not getting a real GM, the other thing weird about Danny is he's always been willing to overpay for a head coach, but supposedly he's cheap when it comes to the scouting department compared to teams like the Steelers.

Lots of scouts drink.

It just happens too, from all the monotony and tedious nature of watching hours of tape everyday. Just like me, it happened to me during my fall semester of 2011. Too many credits, too much Coleridge and too much ES comprehensive, and I was as wet as a sailor. 

It's just like, the culture, weird as that sounds. 

I, too, am skeptical this would be his choice v other options. I often think any exec with a brain would just avoid this circus even if it pays well.

And again, what's a logical hierarchical sequence of new hires for this org?  Each guy hired has to work within a system. Who has developed our schematic for the structure and how it should be assembled, including what positions should be filled in what preferable (ideal) order? I know you grab who you'd like when you can if you can, but do Dan and Bruce even consider such things? I hate that I feel the need to ask.

Who is evaluating who (any new hire) might work best with who, and how, when key "whos" (like the HC & GM)  are still hanging in the air (or should be). Will we have a mash-up composed of any big name guy crazy enough to join, mixed in with "only guy available" at other slots as picked by different parties (Scott/Dan/Jay/Bruce/Dr Andrews???) at varying levels of compromise, rather than working from a focused and cohesive vision of the future (righhhht)?

Are all these calls to be made by just Bruce and Dan and are they united, really? Is current coaching staff involved (input/kept in loop) in these sort of hires in this org? 

Inquiring minds want to know! (anyone else old enough to get that?)

And I'm trapped in a flood in coastal WA (and a number of posts have appeared since i started typing) on a very busy work day so I may be blathering a bit here, again.  :lol:

This guy's problems with alcoholism scare me.  NOT because he doesn't deserve another chance. Of course he does. But I would worry if this was the right fit for him and his recovery. Reading up on him, he totally went off the rails while working for an NFL team. Lost his family over it, became a raging alcoholic, got basically canned.  He had trouble dealing with the cutthroat nature of the business, with losing, with firing people, etc.. Now he seems happy and has found a good balance where he doesn't have to worry about those things. 

It would be one thing for him to come to a team with strong ownership ... but to come HERE ... thrust into the cesspool that is Snyderville and be forced to work with that freak? How many times have we heard fans say, "this team drives me to drink"? Just think what it would be like for this guy. 

PLUS ... he's already been to the mountaintop. That can be a blessing and a curse. For us, it's generally been a curse. We get guys who've already seen their best days at whatever it is they do. Surely there are other candidates out there. 

All that said, if they DO hire him, it would most definitely be an improvement. A huge improvement. And what does that say about the state of this team, that a recovering alcoholic with tons of red flags trying to get another chance would be a "step in the right direction"? LMAO. 

Again, it's better than what we have and I like that they're searching for someone like this. Just have some serious reservations here. 

We would give him the title of Director of Pro Player Personnel or something like that, with concentrating on the roster, do whether or not we hired Wade would be immaterial. I wouldn't need him to approve coaching staff. Maybe after he is hired, is want his input, but not his decision. Stick to the players.

If they do end up hiring him, keep AJ as Director of west coast scouting.

Agreed.

No more screwing around.  The right way to do this is let him select everything, including:  choose if Gruden stays;  select the new DC;  choose which assistants stay;  hire his own personnel staff, including expanding the scouting operations.

That is the way winning teams do it.  

This guy's problems with alcoholism scare me.  NOT because he doesn't deserve another chance. Of course he does. But I would worry if this was the right fit for him and his recovery. Reading up on him, he totally went off the rails while working for an NFL team. Lost his family over it, became a raging alcoholic, got basically canned.  He had trouble dealing with the cutthroat nature of the business, with losing, with firing people, etc.. Now he seems happy and has found a good balance where he doesn't have to worry about those things. 

It would be one thing for him to come to a team with strong ownership ... but to come HERE ... thrust into the cesspool that is Snyderville and be forced to work with that freak? How many times have we heard fans say, "this team drives me to drink"? Just think what it would be like for this guy. 

I feel bad for laughing at this. 

Here's the thing gang ...

How many of you hams actually read his espn article?

Well, I'm here to tell you that McCloughan has said, clearly, that IF he went back to the NFL, he already has a staff of his planned out. Or at the least, has a shortlist of guys he wants to surround himself with.

That means scouts and directors of this, that, and the other. A whole team. Guys he trusts. 

So ... vis-a-vis the Skins hierarchy, IF McCloughan is in play here (and KDawg has raised legitimate questions on that), that spells doom for Scott Campbell, Alex Santos, any number of scouts, and it really precludes AJ Smith being the GM (cause McCloughan would ostensibly be the GM), and basically railroads Bruce, making him: Vice President of the Redskins suffrage movement. 

JLC just on, said he's considered a scouting savant.  Said Baalke gets a lot of credit in SF but its been mostly Scot who built that roster, worked very closely with Schneider to build the Seahawks. 

Wherever he lands, he'd be coming on to be the top personnel voice in the building, he doubts he takes anything less.  Miami tried to get him last year.  he turned them down.   He turned down Chicago in the past.   He suspects Buffalo is in the mix now but he doesn't know for sure.

JLC thinks landing him would be a coup.  He thinks its a long shot, because of geography and the history with the FO here.  He thinks in contrast AJ Smith is putting lipstick on a pig. 

Lots of scouts drink.

It just happens too, from all the monotony and tedious nature of watching hours of tape everyday. Just like me, it happened to me during my fall semester of 2011. Too many credits, too much Coleridge and too much ES comprehensive, and I was as wet as a sailor. 

It's just like, the culture, weird as that sounds. 

As someone with history in designing substance-dependence rehab programs as part of my profession, I encourage applicably afflicted Redskins fans to shoot for "functional alcoholic" as a reachable goal.

I'm old school.  :P

The ideal scenario would probably be to make this guy Director of Player Personnel. Doesn't sound like he wants to deal with hiring/firing coaching staff. Give him a blank check to hire his own scouting dept. Keep Bruce around with some ceremonial title to handle PR, jerseys, finances and such.

Here's the thing gang ...

How many of you hams actually read his espn article?

Well, I'm here to tell you that McCloughan has said, clearly, that IF he went back to the NFL, he already has a staff of his planned out. Or at the least, has a shortlist of guys he wants to surround himself with.

That means scouts and directors of this, that, and the other. A whole team. Guys he trusts. 

So ... vis-a-vis the Skins hierarchy, IF McCloughan is in play here (and KDawg has raised legitimate questions on that), that spells doom for Scott Campbell, Alex Santos, any number of scouts, and it really precludes AJ Smith being the GM (cause McCloughan would ostensibly be the GM), and basically railroads Bruce, making him: Vice President of the Redskins suffrage movement. 

Scott Campbell has been ****ing up here for 13 years. He needs to **** up somewhere else. 

does the fact we are looking for a DC before we officially bring in guys like Scot or AJ mean they won't really be calling the shots/ be a GM? 

Or does it mean that Gruden is getting more power, which includes choosing his own DC?

Archived