Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CONFIRMED: Scot McCloughan has accepted offer to become Redskins GM: Per Michael Robinson, Albert Breer and Ian Rapoport

Boss_Hogg

That actually isn't encouraging.  I mean, it's not easy finding a franchise QB, but even we've done better than that list.  Wilson is the definitive 'got lucky' pick.  I won't give them THAT much credit for having a guy be sitting there in the 3rd round and his main competition is Matt Flynn.

interesting take....let me play devil's advocate here.

where you see a bunch of misses & a low batting average, i see a bunch of educated guesses, minimized risk, middle round picks with minimum overall impact, & an eventual diamond in the rough.

it's not what most people want...but this seems to be this guys M.O. He swings big....or rather, he advocates for the obvious BPA in earlier rounds, & then in the middle-late rounds he has outstanding scouting chops to make highly educated & instinctual guesses....& hits a decent average at most positions. QB is notably a very difficult position to hit, especially in later rounds, but his risk assessment vs reward is where most people are touting his accumen.

think about the value of RW. not only did you basically use a throw-away 3rd round pick (it was their 2nd or 3rd pick that round & i think 6th pick that draft?) on a risk/reward player. but you did so knowing that if you hit, you had a guy who could play for 4 years on an insignifican cap-hit with which to assess his true value. not to mention...the school of thought he comes from in the draft is my personal favorite, & perhaps the most proven to be successful...which is to accumulate draft picks en masse & use the volume to minimize the negative impact of misses.

has he been the one making all the decision in the war room on draft days? i dunno...it doesn't seem so. what i do know is that his expertise in scouting has been invaluable to those decision makers, that his input has been touted by so many on the level of "scouting savant." this is a term you don't see just tossed about....& let's not leave out that during his "time off" he ran a scouting agency which several NFL teams sought for consultation, have praised to no end, & have looked to add him to their operations as a result.

the only question i have is i wonder how well he can handle the full operational duties...except, he won't have to do that all on his own here as Bruce Allen will be there to assist & help groom him, & get him acclimated with his new role.

is he THE answer? none of us know yet. but i can't believe some of the "reasons" is see for people talking themselves back onto the ledge. as with all things Redskins of late....i'm on wait & see status. still, i cannnot lie & say that i am not excited about the potential of this move. i am just glad that we seem to have a guy in charge who's core philosophy is to build a team in the way that all the respected NFL figures describe as the "right" way.

Who makes the call on the coaching staff now, Allen or McCloughan? Seems strange to be interviewing new DC's without our new GM if he makes the call

More important than that, now that it appears we have a legit GM who can find some talent on defense I bet our pool for good DC's that would come here just got bigger.  People that may have passed us up before might think twice now.  Who wouldn't like to be a DC with the kind of talent provided for the 49ers and the Seahawks?

A dream come true would be to bring in Todd Bowles and make him Associate Head coach - Defense.  The title would allow us to pay more and it wouldn't be considered a lateral. 

Albert Breer on Chad Dukes show had a great take on how Scot drafts/handles the QB position. Basically he said its a shotgun approach - and more speficially he said the just keeps throwing darts.  That's why they had a bunch of guys in line to play QB until they settled on his greatest pick ever probably - Wilson.  

He swung and missed on Whitehurst,  T. Jackson, Frye, Flynn, Seneca Wallace. 

Def worth talking about more - throwing lots of darts yes, but trying to minimize the cost of each throw? I'm guessing that none of these guys acquired through draft were "trade ups". On the FA side I do remember Matt Flynn got some serious coin from them and was gone in one year. Other than that I don't have any data on those guys while in Seattle.

Based on the interviews and stories we've seen about him, sounds like Scot is not the type that would ever make the RG3 trade.

Edit: With regards to QB he could definitely be a victim of his own success. If you draft well your team will finish better putting you further away from the elite QB picks of the 1st round. If you are not inclined to go all in on a draft pick, then in terms of the draft you have to rely on these types of moves.

Then again Alex Smith was picked #1 by San Fran (I'm assuming Scot was with the team then) so he might just not be an all-star at picking that position.

The more picks we can get togehter the better. Meaning, trading #5 down and maybe make your first pick around 21-22 ... and in the process get 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 4th ... then with all those picks in the 2nd-4th round, use one or two and trade back a bit more and get some 5ths, 6ths and 2016 draft picks. I WANT TO LEAVE THE 2015 DRAFT WITH 10-12 PICKS AND 2016 DRAFT OF AT LEAST 8 PICKS.

Please no. This team needs quality, not more quantity. They traded down last year off a starting offensive lineman for a guy that can't get on the field and a back up DE/LB. Whomever the best OL is at #5, draft him and don't think twice, unless you can move down a couple of spots and still get him.

Please no. This team needs quality, not more quantity. They traded down last year off a starting offensive lineman for a guy that can't get on the field and a back up DE/LB. Whomever the best OL is at #5, draft him and don't think twice, unless you can move down a couple of spots and still get him.

It would be a real waste to use the #5 pick on a RT, particularly in a draft where the OL class isn't particularly strong.

Am I the only one extremely concerned that we are bringing in a guy with alcohol problems and having him work directly with an alcoholic? I like his track record as a personnel guy, but it is starting to become clear that being an alcoholic is a prerequisite to being inducted into this regime. Very concerned. 

And so it begins. Let's do all we can to find any possible reason for this to fail.  

This is one of the best hires Dan Snyder has made since owning the team. The only reason it will be looked at critically is simply because we signed him. If any other team in the NFL were to sign him, this blog would be filled with how horrible it was that we didn't try for the "best guy available" and "see, no one wants to come here!" etc. etc etc.

Well guess what - We did get the best guy available, and he wanted to come here because he had his choice of teams. No one knows if this is going to work or not, but it's the best step forward that could be made at this time. Let's just be happy and see where it goes, at least for a few hours, before predicting doom a gloom!!!  

Def worth talking about more - throwing lots of darts yes, but trying to minimize the cost of each throw? I'm guessing that none of these guys acquired through draft were "trade ups". On the FA side I do remember Matt Flynn got some serious coin from them and was gone in one year. Other than that I don't have any data on those guys while in Seattle.

Based on the interviews and stories we've seen about him, sounds like Scot is not the type that would ever make the RG3 trade.

Yep, I think the only guy they drafted out that whole gaggle of Seattle QB's from 2010-12 was Wilson.  However, the others were trades using draft picks, albeit lower picks. 

As to why it has taken a long time to get here, Snyder did fall into the fallacy that experienced coaches know how to build teams, which is why Marty, Gibbs and Shanahan had full roster control and all ultimately failed.  In between (except for post-Gibbs) Snyder acted like many fans here and thought he could do better, whether assisted by Vinny or not.

Agreed.  Scot's hiring is similar to the installation of the jumbotrons at FedEx Field......something that should've been done eight years earlier, but better late than never.

I am pretty sure Scot is in charge of getting the best 53 men on the field. Don't think that includes coaches. Plus it would be stupid to dump Gruden this quick. Gruden and RG3 needs to be together at least another year. If you dump Gruden then RG3 has to start over again and won't know if RG3 is your QB or not for the long term to build a team around.

It'd actually be smart. He's now accountable for a head coach he probably never would have handpicked himself personally. If I were him, I'd start from scratch (isn't that what we've all been asking for, a legitimate rebuilding phase?). He should pursue his own head coach and potentially a QB he likes. As of right now, he's inherited someone's team, and he'd be taking a risk trying to make sense of someone else's mess.

And so it begins. Let's do all we can to find any possible reason for this to fail.  

This is one of the best hires Dan Snyder has made since owning the team. The only reason it will be looked at critically is simply because we signed him. If any other team in the NFL were to sign him, this blog would be filled with how horrible it was that we didn't try for the "best guy available" and "see, no one wants to come here!" etc. etc etc.

Well guess what - We did get the best guy available, and he wanted to come here because he had his choice of teams. No one knows if this is going to work or not, but it's the best step forward that could be made at this time. Let's just be happy and see where it goes, at least for a few hours, before predicting doom a gloom!!!  

Being concerned because the guy has washed out of the last two jobs because he is an alcoholic is completely legit. Is it concerning that articles out there say this guy does a great job but some people wouldn't hire him because of his personal demons? It should be to everyone. Doesn't mean people are looking for ways for it to fail or that anyone else is predicting doom and gloom.

I hope Daniel Snyder does things to create an environment where this guy can succeed and control his problem. Personally, I think this team has a 3-4 year window with this guy to succeed based on his previous jobs.

It would be a real waste to use the #5 pick on a RT, particularly in a draft where the OL class isn't particularly strong.

So let's trade down to a weaker offensive lineman? If the best lineman is projected as an immediate starter, don't outsmart yourself.

Havent we heard all this before?

Shcottenheimer, Spurrier, Gibbs, (skip Zorn), Allen/Shanny & Co., Gruden?

The new savior has arrived. I am done getting excited.

I understand your skepticism, and all of it is warranted. However, how many have had the personnel chops that McCloughan has?

You've FAR more faith in the company line on how he left than I.

Hail.

Sure.

Because belief in what all parties have said, repeatedly, is less wise than belief in the bogey man that has no validity.   I'll strive to live as me.   You do the same as you.

I understand your skepticism, and all of it is warranted. However, how many have had the personnel chops that McCloughan has?

None.  That's the key.  We have finally gotten a successful GM from a winning franchise. 

The key is Dan and Bruce staying out of the flipping way

It'd actually be smart. He's now accountable for a head coach he probably never would have handpicked himself personally. If I were him, I'd start from scratch (isn't that what we've all been asking for, a legitimate rebuilding phase?). He should pursue his own head coach and potentially a QB he likes. As of right now, he's inherited someone's team, and he'd be taking a risk trying to make sense of someone else's mess.

Actually you have that backwards. Gruden isnt his pick, so he isnt on the hook for Gruden. Which means if he stays around for a year or two and doesnt pan out, he can fire Gruden and bring in his own guy. Meanwhile, while figuring out if Gruden could work he was able to start building the roster. Gruden gives him time without any consequences. If he fired him and brought in someone else that didnt work thats his neck on the line.

I welcome this and do not consider "all our problems are answered".  However, I have always considered our FO the "root" of the problem, aside from the Snyder BFF with players  and stuff.  IF he is truly 100% in charge of the roster then I will remain happy and hopeful for the future, with properly tempered expectations because there is much to fix.

The issues with alcohol?  The way I see things is we all have vices, and yes, some of us control them better than others.  Be that as it may, I am sure this was addressed in the discussions and I bet there are provisions and measures so if it seems he is falling again that the team can step in and provide support.

We have needed a "real" football person for a very long time, I consider this a day of sunshine given we been in the cloud of hell forever.

#HAIL

Wait, I could swear I heard the 2015 draft was going to be better than average on the O-line!   No link or anything... just hearsay and this was a couple months back admittedly, but I hope you're wrong. 

Wait, I could swear I heard the 2015 draft was going to be better than average on the O-line!   No link or anything... just hearsay and this was a couple months back admittedly, but I hope you're wrong. 

According to McShay:

http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/14482/todd-mcshay-says-shane-ray-a-good-fit-for-redskins-at-no-5

I’ll have more on this in a future post, but McShay, as of now, was not high on offensive linemen in the top 10.

In any case, you can find good RTs at the top of the 2nd round, usually.

Archived