Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Zoony Bin: The official '15 offseason Twitter thread, Whine room now open serving Francis Copious Speculation Cab, Lavar buffet Incl., tips included

SWFLSkins

It's about the easiest thing to implement with some cash and we know Danny has never been afraid to spend.

Not as sexy as overpaying for someone in free agency. 

Snyder lacks the intelligence and business savvy to understand what it means to invest in the core of one's business.

Emmanual Benton @Manny_PPI 8m8 minutes ago

Wade Phillips could = Trent Murphy to five tech… Shane Ray and a true one gap system.

For what the legit options are, I think Wade Phillips is the best. Raheem is beloved in that building tho. #Redskins

mmanual Benton @Manny_PPI 27m27 minutes ago

Wade Phillips, from my understanding, loves to promote the fact practically every team he’s gone to has won at least in year one. #Redskins

Matt Terl @matt_terl 27m27 minutes ago

If I'm Jay Gruden, I really prefer someone without any head coaching experience in that DC spot.

Emmanual Benton @Manny_PPI 30m30 minutes ago

I’d be surprised if the #Redskins get anyone from San Fran.

Brian McNally retweeted

Updated: Wade Phillips set to interview for #Redskins' defensive coordinator job http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2015/01/wade-phillips-reportedly-to-interview-for-redskins-defensive-coordinator-job/  #Texans #NFL

Dianna Marie Russini retweeted

@AlbertBreer don't forget the AJ Smith connection. AJ reveres him.

Dianna Marie Russini retweeted

Wade Phillips confirmed that he'll interview for #Redskins' defensive coordinator position. First reported by @RapSheet. #Texans #NFL

Niles Paul @Niles_Paul84 57m57 minutes ago

If you have a kid of age, make them watch the movie Contracted. It will change their life forever.

1. Per @RapSheet - Wade Phillips will interview for #Redskins DC job next week.. Hstory with AJ Smith.. Son already on staff.. #RedskinsTalk

0 replies 28 retweets 5 favorites

@RobCarlinCSN @RapSheet Wade also w/ Falcons when noted FOS (Friend of Snyder) Joe Gibbs was part-owner/board member & Oilers w/ Joe Bugel

Snyder is very cheap, the huge misconception is that he spends money like crazy. Yea he does on players/coaches but he makes that up in merchandise sales, tickets, etc. he will only spend money he knows he will get back.

Things that are important to winning but unseen by fans, scouting department, trainers, stadium upgrades, artificial turf, locker rooms, are all well below league average.

Matt Terl ‏@matt_terl 27m27 minutes ago

If I'm Jay Gruden, I really prefer someone without any head coaching experience in that DC spot.

Which probably means Joe Barry, since Donatell doesn't have the Tampa/Tusker connection Barry does.  Ugh.

Hopefully it's not in Jay's hands, and hopefully AJ Smith, assuming he becomes the "GM" (at least in terms of role) goes with someone more qualified instead.  Wade Phillips would be fine.

I think if AJ gets moved to "GM" then he should really be given the opportunity to review Jay closely.  It's possible Smith was involved in the decision to hire Jay initially, but a further review a year in couldn't hurt.

Wade Phillips is definitely a better defensive coordinator than Jim Haslett, but I'd rather see the Redskins go in a different direction.

Find the next great defensive minded coach rather than continuing the cycle of paying top dollar for accomplishments done elsewhere.

Oz @OBtoojiveforyou 2m2 minutes ago

@HomerMcFanboy This D is lost. A guy like Wade who has a sound system & proven track record is exactly what's needed

@HomerMcFanboy Easily said, who is it?

T @TMM75 6m6 minutes ago

@darrenrovell: cost for a family of 4 to go to an NFL game in 1977 ” Redskins most expensive even then

B6cka6mIEAMveW4.jpg

77 prices look darn good compared to now

1. To @HapHaszard, unlike most people online, I don't pretend to be an expert talent evaluator. Just tired at throwing money at retreads.

0 replies 0 retweets 0 favorites

@HomerMcFanboy I can agree to that, we have thown millions away. Also not sure we have anyone in the front office that is either though.

JsteelzHttr24-7 @JsteelznSkins 1m1 minute ago

Wade would be bad for Jay. Jay doesn't turn it around. Wade would outlast him here.

JsteelzHttr24-7 @JsteelznSkins 20s20 seconds ago

Not the first they talked to Wade. Will be the second time. First time he was comfy in retirement while watching the team

Maybe all of us ESers could sign up for the Dan Snyder Dinner Companion Club.  Of course, Dan pays.  One of us each night to sit with him and tell him how great he is.  He'd be so overwhelmed with attention he might not pay attention to the team except in his box on game day.  What do you think?

Maybe all of us ESers could sign up for the Dan Snyder Dinner Companion Club.  Of course, Dan pays.  One of us each night to sit with him and tell him how great he is.  He'd be so overwhelmed with attention he might not pay attention to the team except in his box on game day.  What do you think?

Works for me, you first, hope you like Mortons

@JsteelznSkins Bruce is cheap. Rah is affordable. If I'm retired, you better back up the Brinks truck.

www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/james-gayle?id=2543766

OVERVIEW

Uncle, Shaun Gayle, was a Pro Bowl safety for the Bears (1984-95). James is a Virginia native. Played defensive end for the Hokies.
ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS Excellent height-weight-speed ratio. Looks the part and has weight-room strength. Explosive athlete with rare leaping ability for his size -- posted a 37-inch vertical and broad jumped 10 feet, 2 inches. Good balance and edge burst and enough flexibility to turn the corner. Dogged in pursuit and ranges all over the field to make tackles. Flattens and crashes down the line. Strong wrap tackler. Durable three-year starter. Has NFL bloodlines.

WEAKNESSES Average eyes and instincts. Questionable football intelligence. Short on bulk and anchor strength to play with his hand in the dirt -- soft edge setter. Not equipped to shadow in man coverage and is unnatural playing in reverse. Limited scheme versatility. Could require short leash and extra reps.

DRAFT PROJECTION Rounds 3-4

BOTTOM LINE Explosive, high-motor see-and-go reactor whose calling card is his ability to pressure the edge. Does not play to his weight-room numbers against the run and lacks desirable length and smarts, projecting as a situational 3-4 rush linebacker.

Here is another article on James Gayle.

http://www.musiccitymiracles.com/2014/6/14/5810430/james-gayle-cut-by-the-tennessee-titans

James Gayle cut by the Tennessee Titans

In college, Gayle was a versatile edge player that brought a lot of value to a position filled with older players like Kamerion Wimbley and Shaun Phillips. Also, with Akeem Ayersapparently having surgery on both of his knees, I thought Gayle had a strong chance to prove he was worth a rotational job to ease the strain on number 56.

Unfortunately, the Titans will have to make due with what they have at the position for now and hope that they can stay healthy.

Now, it should also be said that the Titans didn't have a lot invested in Gayle as an UDFA (though an expensive one) and cutting him isn't like cutting a draft pick. Also, Gayle's injury and size may be a concern for Ray Horton and the defensive coaching staff, and they may have just felt like he wasn't a fit. I am just concerned the Titans are making another LeGarrette Blount/Jack Doyle type decision where they let a talented role player go.

Wade Phillips sounds like a good choice but if we can't properly evaluate and recruit talented players and also have a very dysfunctional organization, can he succeed? 

I have my doubts.

Camp Cupcake. In Washington? I like.

All joking aside, Phillips is a **** good coordinator. Definitely not Head coach material, but top notch D-Coach. 

Will get the most of some guys, but not enough out of some. But considering who you guys have had, major upgrade. But if i'm the Skins, I go for fresh blood. Phillips to me, lacks the killer instinct.

Lol dinner partner. Dan is such a lonely loser. This best friends club is bordering on just sad now. The guy just wants to be liked.

You know, I've rarely felt anger toward Snyder in the 15 years he's owned the team. I've been frustrated and confused a lot, but rarely angry. From time to time (mostly back in the early 2000s) I would get angry during games...but that was more about on-field things like penalties, turnovers, play calls, etc. 

However, when I really think about this statement, it makes me pretty livid. I'm pissed that this man has taken OUR team (a team of which he's supposed to be a steward and caretaker) and is essentially using it as a vehicle to make friends and fill up his life. It's one thing if that happened initially. It's still irritating, but you could understand how a 35-year old might fall into some of these traps. But Snyder is now 50-something years old, married to a breast cancer survivor, and has some kids. With all the social opportunities that just come automatically with being the owner of the Redskins, why in the flying **** does he need to hire people to run his team so that they'll be friends with him? He can do the appearances, shake hands with famous people, and leave the football guys to do football teams so that he can eventually be the owner of a championship-caliber team. It's pretty infuriating. 

Sorry, just had to vent...I'm usually pretty level-headed. 

After Denver Post reported Mike Shanahan would interview for 49ers' HC job, he confirmed he spent New Year's Day meeting with SF braintrust.

Third coaching job he is line to interview with so far... So much for never coaching again because of his time here.

It would be interesting, and somewhat fitting for him to end his career there, he cut his teeth with Walsh and Montana as OC before Denver.

He's definitely got some people who know his name and probably think of him fondly out west.

Yeah, I was laughing at the idea of the Shanahan's reps being ruined after leaving here and the number of folks who seem to believe such would happen. I was just reading one of those posts we've seen more of recently, lamenting GW's absence. But another member pointed out we had a large percentage of posters who regularly went nuts over the "bend but don't break" strategy claimed to be a GW staple and all the associated collapses/losses during his tenure. And how often GW's schemes were described as "great for stats" but not for winning against play off caliber competition. I also remember all the screaming then about the huge cushions given on most passing downs and the "inevitable" conversion of opponents on the 3rd and longs, just like now. And just as most of the coach/qb arguments have been very reminiscent to past events that featured totally different casts of Redskins characters. 

neverendingstory_zps2081637b.jpg

Camp Cupcake. In Washington? I like.

All joking aside, Phillips is a **** good coordinator. Definitely not Head coach material, but top notch D-Coach. 

Will get the most of some guys, but not enough out of some. But considering who you guys have had, major upgrade. But if i'm the Skins, I go for fresh blood. Phillips to me, lacks the killer instinct.

I just want a defense that doesn't leave people open by 15 yards and give up 15 yards on 3rd and 14! Surely Wade can make us a middle of the road defense with some decent help at the saftey position.

Would be absolutely pleased with Wade being brought in. Knows the 3-4, averages a decent defense through his career, has improved the last three places he's gone to in year one in yards and posts.

He's always had a high number of creative, insightful posts.

Occasionally tried to circumvent the profanity filter though.

Archived