Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The case for firing Gruden ASAP

kgor93

The only way I would be ok firing Jay already is if we hired a GM and he wanted to find his own new coach. Otherwise what is the point? You think we are just going to find a great new head coach right after firing a first year head coach after, his uh first year?

Some believe the money is enough to lure someone...There will be other open jobs...that will probably be more desirable...Raiders? good looking young QB, good looking young RB, some good pieces on D...Bears? Certainly no worse, and without Danny boy...Jets? again, won't have to work for Snyder...49ers? Panthers? Giants?...I don't know that there is a worse situation for a head coach to come into at this point, ESPECIALLY, if they fire Gruden this early...

And if it isn't a new GM picking the head coach, who the heck has faith in Allen/Danny to hire the right guy this time?

I wonder how many who want Gruden fired would embrace Jim Harbaugh? That would be irony.

Harbaugh is unhappy in San Fran because he doesn't have enough say....He'd probably rather bag groceries than work for Snyder...

Chuck Noll was 1-13 in his first year coaching the Steelers.

Can you imagine if the Rooney family had fired Noll after one year?  The NFL has zero patience now and its sad. Let a coach get his **** together before looking for greener grass.

then who is to blame most here? The ones who hired this incompetent idiot (according to you) or the incompetent idiot?

If you like to overlook causes and focus on effects, I guess I know your answer. I like to focus on causes. I think that's much more sensical.

Have you ever made a hire thinking you're getting an allstar only to find do out the person is a dud. This happens with players all the time, but the ramifications are far different with coaches.

I remember many years back my Co. needed to

hire someone. Long story short and I'm careful what I put online........but in the end all it was, was a person that looked perfect on paper, near perfect in interviews (fooled 5 of us who were mgrs or senior mgrs), but couldn't remotely do the job.

Point is job interviews are one thing someone selling themselves and you do your best during the interview to throw out the bull and find out if this person can get it done. If it fails yes it's on Bruce and he's got to eat that.

With all that said I still stand 100% behind my Gruden thoughts. That what he said he was going to do and what he's done are two different things. As a GM I doubt you'd ever see that coming when making a coaching hire, especially in the first year.

Gruden needs at least one more year with;

1. His choice of assistants. No input from Allen, etc. If Gruden wants them here they stay otherwise they go and he hires whomever he wants.

2. His choice of QB. He can start whichever one he wants or draft a different one.

Harbaugh is unhappy in San Fran because he doesn't have enough say....He'd probably rather bag groceries than work for Snyder...

Besides the point. I was referring to his somewhat less than stellar success with Kaepernick, despite him being regarded as a great coach around the league and in college.

Besides the point. I was referring to his somewhat less than stellar success with Kaepernick, despite him being regarded as a great coach around the league and in college.

Roger that. In that case you forgot the all important "QB GURU" title!  :D

^^ Again, my point is you're focusing too heavily on one guy thinking a change will make a difference. It won't. I'm sorry. If you haven't realized that by now as a skins fan then God help you.

If every criticism you have here about Gruden is true (which is questionable in and of itself since there's probably a ton happening behind the scenes we don't see that would change our perceptions), then who is to blame most here? The ones who hired this incompetent idiot (according to you) or the incompetent idiot?

If you like to overlook causes and focus on effects, I guess I know your answer. I like to focus on causes. I think that's much more sensical.

From other posts, am gathering your top goal is to have a real personnel guy running this team.  As it is for me and most of us.  I doubt Danny is going anywhere and for better or worse he's likely going to be here no matter what.  So who is the guy in the way of a real football guy running the operation?  Bruce.

I think the part you are missing is for how strong potentially Bruce and Jay are interlinked, and it has been discussed quite a bit on talk radio especially yesterday so its not some off beat outlier theory.  With some reporters alluding to Jay failing speaks really bad for Bruce so Bruce likely will be in Jay's corner.

A.  Bruce Allen and Jay are tied to the hip.  Bruce was all over that hire.  

B.  It's Bruce who is likely to save Jay's job.

C.  Lets say Jay gets let go.  What is Danny going to say, shucks Bruce nice try with Jay but stuff happens, 3-13, we look like a team on the rise, people aren't showing up to the games but who cares, what do you think next Bruce, whose your next recommendation?

The idea that if we knock down Jay we are ignoring the larger problem.   I just don't see it.  If anything it brings the spotlight there in a way that wouldn't be there otherwise.   Is Jay going to push for a real football guy to run the operation in the off season and go against Bruce who actually gave him his job?  Doubt it.

Jay bombing out IMO screams the FO is the problem, they hired him.  The RG3 issue perhaps confuses it all since there is the perception that the FO is pro-RG3 and the HC isn't.  but heck even if we paint everything on RG3.  It was Bruce who hired Jay presuming on the premise that he's the guy who can help and instead its been a big debacle -- that speaks poorly of Bruce.

In short, if they give up on Jay how the heck is Bruce unscathed?  IMO its the biggest strikeout he could have and in turn more likely to set up not kill the idea of a real football running the operation.

The thread is a case for firing Gruden ASAP. I don't believe we should either, but the thread is asking why there would be a CASE for firing him. For me it's the regression of our QB's. They lack zero confidence right now and the constant QB carousel doesn't help the confidence in these QB's what so ever. 

Have to agree. I was weary last year when the Bengal fans were happy for Gruden to leave. Now I see why. IMO the offense is just very vanilla. AlmO and the run game in general have regressed big time under Gruden. And it seems to me he doesn't want to be here anymore. 

Gruden is not the problem nor is he the solution. In my eyes the problem is organizational flaws. We have no direction, means to an end goal. Just look at the number of coaching hires/fires, the quality of said coaches (Zorn in particular) and the record during Danny's tenure. This organization has a broken compass and the man holding the broken compass has ADHD.

The only person that should be fired can't be fired. I'm talking about that POS owner. Too many 'skins fans want to place the blame on every coach that comes through that revolving door. He's a meddlesome little prick and if you believe otherwise? You're a damn fool.

I've always believed that the word hate should be left to those that deserve it, but I HATE that mother ****er for destroying a franchise I so belove(d). Please spare me with the "We were bad before Snyder bought the team." We're not bad now. We are literally the laughing stock of the league now.

How the **** he made his money is beyond me because he is the number one example of mismanagement.

There's so much more I could add, but that piece of **** doesn't desrve much of my time and he doesn't deserve OUR money.

Hey look! The Colin Cowherd show is starting off with the Redskins circus. **** my Redskins life!

I'm having a very hard time supporting this team.  Actually let me rephrase it.  As long as this management is in place and the owner is acting like a douche, then I can no longer support this team the way I have done in the past.  I definitely want them to succeed and hope they work it out someday, but until then I can't put in the effort and energy that I've done in the past.

It is a sad day in Washington

httr

How bout they keep Gruden and let him "manage".. They bring in an actual OC, QBC, DC, etc.. and go from there.. Gruden seems like he MAY be able to handle details, but organizing an offense, play calling and adjusting on the fly seems completely out of his realm at the moment.. If he does stay, there's no way he can keep all these hats on that he's currently wearing..

This seems easy to me: trade RG3, keep Gruden, replace Allen.  And this isn't because I like Gruden and dislike RG3 - exactly the opposite is true.  Here is my rock solid reasoning.

1. The team is a mess.  Something needs to be done.  Delaying the inevitable will just make matters worse.

2. RG3 has some trade value.  Maybe a low two, definitely a third.  He would be a great pick up for a team with an aging QB that can develop RG3 over the next year.

3. Gruden obviously has no trade value and will cost money to get rid of.  The money really isn't the important thing to me; the problem is that we shouldn't go after another coach and judge him based on his ability to make fudge out of ****. Gruden's excuses have worn me out and his most recent statement that "jobs are on the line" in the next three games is just more meaningless coach-speak.  If you play well in the last three meaningless games, you can keep your job???  I've got a better idea - why not evaluate each player over the first eight meaningful games, and then let the second string replace those who didn't produce.

4. I don't think Gruden can do any more damage as the team rebuilds, so long as a competent GM replaces Allen and is in complete control of player acquisition.  Gruden can be a placeholder while the talent level is increased.

5. Make a plan that works, at least in theory, and STICK WITH IT.  Mortgaging the future for RG3 while there were so many holes was a huge mistake.  I'm in favor or building the core first and then acquiring skill players, but mostly I just want to have a realistic plan.  One that isn't torn up if Suh hits the market.

How bout they keep Gruden and let him "manage".. They bring in an actual OC, QBC, DC, etc.. and go from there.. Gruden seems like he MAY be able to handle details, but organizing an offense, play calling and adjusting on the fly seems completely out of his realm at the moment.. If he does stay, there's no way he can keep all these hats on that he's currently wearing..

I don't know how much time he spends doing other things but Gruden's biggest flaw seems to be that he isn't a manager at all.

Chuck Noll was 1-13 in his first year coaching the Steelers.

Can you imagine if the Rooney family had fired Noll after one year?  The NFL has zero patience now and its sad. Let a coach get his **** together before looking for greener grass.

jimmy johnson was 1-15 his first year.  3 years later he was hoisting a lombardi.

gruden needs time, its sad people arent even willing to give him more than 13 games lol.

^^ Again, my point is you're focusing too heavily on one guy thinking a change will make a difference. It won't. I'm sorry. If you haven't realized that by now as a skins fan then God help you.

If every criticism you have here about Gruden is true (which is questionable in and of itself since there's probably a ton happening behind the scenes we don't see that would change our perceptions), then who is to blame most here? The ones who hired this incompetent idiot (according to you) or the incompetent idiot?

I agree with you 110% mate, but we're beating a dead horse at this point. Honestly if Gruden gets fired the next coach will, simply be, Gruden 2.0 or Zorn 3.0, if you ask dome fans.

jimmy johnson was 1-15 his first year.  3 years later he was hoisting a lombardi.

gruden needs time, its sad people arent even willing to give him more than 13 games lol.

no, no, no.

Jimmy Johnson had pedigree behind him. HE lead the best college program of the 1980s who had a bushel of NFL players he brought.

Gruden was a middling offensive coordinator who got this job.

The Cowboys were changing eras when Johnson got to Dallas. Gruden is a mess.

Do not compare the two. Its intellectually lazy.

Just so you all know, Gruden is trying to build an NFL team around Colt McCoy. Let that sink in for a few. 

This is exactly why he should be fired. The man intends to build an NFL team around Colt McCoy. By choice. That is pretty damning.

Archived