Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The case for firing Gruden ASAP

kgor93

Now, as for the points i kinda disagree with:

4th point: "here was no sense of excitement from the players. They jogged out of the tunnel in the most nonchalant, indifferent way. No smiles around. That's on coaching to get them motivated. Meanwhile, the Rams were pumped."

Well...would you be excited and smiling at 3-9 when you're going into halftime down 6-0 and nothing going your way offensively? plus, the rams at the time were 5-7 with a chance to go 6-7. so obviously they would be pumped up more than the skins.

and the 5th point: continuing to support haslett even though haslett is an awful defensive coordinator.

I'm pretty sure Gruden is well aware that haslett sucks...lol. I'm guessing Gruden and the FO doesnt see any sense in firing him during the season, so just ride out the rest of the season THEN can his *** right after the game december 28th. tell him to pack his office, have a happy new year, and get the **** out of DC. Then we can get a competent defensive coordinator on our staff and have him decide what type of defense he wants to run, and tell him to get the most out of the defensive players. i believe we have a lot of talent on the defense, that will be realized with a new coordinator.

Until WHO fires snyder? bruce cant fire snyder. gruden cant fire snyder. the only one that can is snyder himself (not going to happen) or goodell (again, not going to happen)

I am old 46; so I can remember the glory years. Sadly, that is all it will be.   For you young fans; you have to decide if you will want to remain a fan of a team that will be losers 90% of the time, if not higher.

I am very skeptical of Gruden's tactical ability. I'm mentioned on other threads that he's notorious for not having the Cincinnati ready for playoff games. However, I'm not sure if that matters enough to can him in year one.

My solution:

1. Fire Bruce Allen and bring in a GM with pro-personnel experience (widely noted on this thread) 

2. Fire Jim Haslett - he is hot garbage

3. Fire Sean McVay - I'd love to keep a 28 year old prodigy on staff, but the offense, particularly the TE position has been a mess all year. I know that we seen some nice production in games from Paul and Reed, but if you look more closely they are the weakest unit by far. Poor blocking, poor play recognition and seemingly not understanding of the pass protection. 

I think back to the press conference when Gruden was introduced and the question of whether McVay was going to elevated to OC. Gruden wasn't 100% about it. A head coach should be 100% confident in his OC, even if he's the one calling plays. 

Bring in a Hue Jackson type of vet coach/motivator and let's get this offense moving with tempo and pride. 

Add continued indiscipline on ANDf the field; an even worse PPG and third down % than last year; abysmal RZ offense; continued starting of the same, repeated failures instead of giving ALL youth a chance to see what we can salvage from this horrendous roster going forward; going through not one, not two, but THREE QB's and falling miserably with all three, another area that was supposed to be his forte .....

The list goes on and on. We are WORSE in most every facet than the complete shambles we suffered through last year. Which is quite the impressive achievement. Albeit not a good one.

And now the jumped up SOB is seemingly doing what the last fraud did and calling the owners bluff with a 'back me or pay me' pissing contest over Griff.

Let him play Cousins in NJ next Sunday.

It will only hasten his exit.

I can't remember the last time I've been SO down on a HC. (That utter POS Shanahan excepted.).

Hail.

Weren't you raving about the hire when it happened?

I do agree with what you are saying about Griffin.  He does seem more interested in his brand.  Also did anyone else see that smile on his face yesterday when the fans started chanting RG3?  Pissed me off so damn much.  I sit behind the bench and He does little **** like that all the time, this time he just happened to get caught on camera. 

However your points about the niners and Seahawks are a bit off.

1) Beast Mode is in Seattle (Lynch) not SF (Kaep)..

2) Wilson is succeeding in Seattle because of that offensive line and the performance of Beast Mode. 

Wilson's Oline is not that great.  I think the OL looks better because of Wilson.  He is much more quicker, faster, shifty then the RG3 we see now.  While the defense/Lynch mostly keeps them in every single game they will play this season/post season, Wilson also does a good job at minimizing his mistakes and making plays with his feet or arm thus keeping that Wilson bosssss status in place.  He's a winner.

^

Post of the year. You hit the nail on the damn head. Our fan base is awful.

Preach brother!  This fan base would not be able to watch a rebuild.  They want a quick fix.  Gruden is the only one able to tell the truth about this organization.  Who else has the balls to sit RG3?  

This year wasn't so much about year one of Gruden as much as it was year 5 of Allen as GM. Clean house, new GM, new staff....literally nothing to lose.

I wonder if that's true. Some say that Shannahan made the personnel decisions the prior four years. If that's the case, Allen owns the Gruden hire, this year's draft and free agency.

The counter argument is that Shanahhan didn't want to draft RG, and if that is true, then either Dan is still pulling the strings or it was Allen or some combination of the two. In which case, he's on the hook for that too.

Preach brother! This fan base would not be able to watch a rebuild. They want a quick fix. Gruden is the only one able to tell the truth about this organization. Who else has the balls to sit RG3?

Shanahan?

Gruden may or may not be an awful coach. Griffin may or may not be a bust. The fans always demand someone's job.

If the fans got their way, many people would be fired right after that game or sooner... which is EXACTLY what you'd think Snyder would do. So really, maybe Snyder is better than some of our fans. Nah, couldn't be possible.

Preach brother! This fan base would not be able to watch a rebuild. They want a quick fix. Gruden is the only one able to tell the truth about this organization. Who else has the balls to sit RG3?

So you're saying sitting RGIII made the team better?

Shanahan?

Gruden may or may not be an awful coach. Griffin may or may not be a bust. The fans always demand someone's job.

If the fans got their way, many people would be fired right after that game or sooner... which is EXACTLY what you'd think Snyder would do. So really, maybe Snyder is better than some of our fans. Nah, couldn't be possible.

If the fans got their way we'd have an OL and an actual GM. It's not like a major percentage of the fans are morons, they know what we need.

You fix what is in your power to fix. There's nothing here to suggest that Jay Gruden is a future HOF coach, or even the future HC of a playoff team, and nothing in Bruce Allen's past to suggest he can build a team from scratch. "It doesn't matter who we get, it's all Snyder's fault!!" isn't a legitimate argument. That's quitter talk. Get the best pieces you can and make it work, don't pass the buck onto fate. 

So you're saying sitting RGIII made the team better?

If the fans got their way we'd have an OL and an actual GM. It's not like a major percentage of the fans are morons, they know what we need.

That's very hopeful. I see so many knee jerk reactions here and from my friends that I'm not so optimistic.

So far, this year, we have gone from Cousins is the future, to Cousins sucks, to McCoy is the future, to Griffin is a total bust, to McCoy sucks. The main thing that Gruden is guilty of is not giving enough time to develop ANY of these players. The fans are guilty of demanding all of their jobs. It was only after all of tem failed that most fans decided that we needed an O line. Real foresight there.

Yeah, don't include me in on that. I've been harping on about building the line since Griffin got here. You mortgage the future for a project QB and put him behind a dilapidated POS line? What a waste.

Who was our QB in 2005 and 2007? Who cares! The line was decent back then and we made it to the playoffs twice in three years. Better coaching, better protection, more wins. Who knew?

I'm confused, honestly. If those of you who think Gruden sucks, can't get better with experience, and are so convinced by this that you feel like one year should be it... then why wouldn't you be focused on the men who hired this total failure?  

Essentially, the hire was so outrageously bad that they picked a guy so awful at his job (and gave him a 5 year contract at that), that he couldn't even get to year two, lol.

I mean, why is there any focus on the guy they hired when it's clear the incompetency starts at the top? Why are there even posts on the matter? If you believe Gruden is that bad, how the heck are you not going wild on Allen and Snyder who thought "this guy will be the right guy"?    

Look, I never liked the hire and was suspicious of it from the start. Hated how the coaching search felt like a sham. But I was willing to give the guy a chance and I understood he was coming into one of the worst, if not THE worst, organizations in the league. For us to be one and done with him is not a slight on him, in my mind. It's a total slight on the decision-makers in the organization, namely Snyder and the guy he handed the GM title to.

I think it's pretty lame, foolish and a huge waste of time that anyone is focusing on anything else.

But it seems like that's what we do on ES, lol. Many have their target now, especially ever since he benched Robert. It stinks cuz they're the most vocal on this board, too, and so many here simply accept the loudest narrative.    

Add continued indiscipline on ANDf the field; an even worse PPG and third down % than last year; abysmal RZ offense; continued starting of the same, repeated failures instead of giving ALL youth a chance to see what we can salvage from this horrendous roster going forward; going through not one, not two, but THREE QB's and falling miserably with all three, another area that was supposed to be his forte .....

The list goes on and on. We are WORSE in most every facet than the complete shambles we suffered through last year. Which is quite the impressive achievement. Albeit not a good one.

And now the jumped up SOB is seemingly doing what the last fraud did and calling the owners bluff with a 'back me or pay me' pissing contest over Griff.

Let him play Cousins in NJ next Sunday.

It will only hasten his exit.

I can't remember the last time I've been SO down on a HC. (That utter POS Shanahan excepted.).

Hail.

You and your 'fire the coach' cohorts are utterly delusional.  People who know what the real problem is understand that this movie has been playing out over and over since Snyder bought the team.  First, starring Norv Turner, then Marty Schottenheimer, Steve Spurrier, Joe Gibbs (left when he realized with the lack of any help putting together a good team would make it impossible to seriously compete for more than a playoff appearance), Jim Zorn, Mike Shanahan, and now probably Jay Gruden.  Naive fans like you always believe that the next guy will be different!  If we can just get that coach from the Texas college with no play book who together with RGIII can single handedly make up for the missing 3 first rounders and high second that were used for a one dimensional quarterback.  Then all our problems will magically fade away!

Use your brain!  If Gruden is forced out say goodbye to any decent coach.  The Redskins will be competing with the Raiders for perennial losers and nobody's.  The only way this team can be fixed is with a legitimate General Manager.  Every coach has come and gone the same way.  And look what those coaches do after they leave this quagmire of an organization.  They end up with game balls after they kick our butts. 

But I hope you and your buddies get your wish.  I can't wait to mock your folly!

I'm confused, honestly. If those of you who think Gruden sucks, can't get better with experience, and are so convinced by this that you feel like one year should be it... then why wouldn't you be focused on the men who hired this total failure?  

Essentially, the hire was so outrageously bad that they picked a guy so awful at his job (and gave him a 5 year contract at that), that he couldn't even get to year two, lol.

I mean, why is there any focus on the guy they hired when it's clear the incompetency starts at the top? Why are there even posts on the matter? If you believe Gruden is that bad, how the heck are you not going wild on Allen and Snyder who thought "this guy will be the right guy"?    

Look, I never liked the hire and was suspicious of it from the start. Hated how the coaching search felt like a sham. But I was willing to give the guy a chance and I understood he was coming into one of the worst, if not THE worst, organizations in the league. For us to be one and done with him is not a slight on him, in my mind. It's a total slight on the decision-makers in the organization, namely Snyder and the guy he handed the GM title to.

I think it's pretty lame, foolish and a huge waste of time that anyone is focusing on anything else.

But it seems like that's what we do on ES, lol. Many have their target now, especially ever since he benched Robert. It stinks cuz they're the most vocal on this board, too, and so many here simply accept the loudest narrative.    

This guy has contradicted himself and so unwilling to acknowlege any form of change that you have to ask what is he thinking. During the offseason we were told we'd lean on the run and basically run a very similar offense for consistency.

What does he do, forgets that Alfred Morris even exists and decides we're running a pro style offense not the WCO.

This has gone over great as Morris has one 100 yard game and both of our existing QB's, plus the QB are confused running the offense. I mean tell me this is not true!

So we're supposed to hold onto Gruden so that when we eventually do fire him we will look better for not firing him right away? Okay

so walk me through what we do?  who are we getting rid of and who are we keeping?  and please keep it realistic, not a "OMG LIKE FIRE EVERYBODY AND SELL THE TEAM!"  I could be on board with moving on from gruden if there was a real answer but so far i havent heard one.

if you say art briles we can stop right there lol

Archived