Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The case for firing Gruden ASAP

kgor93

Gruden does look lost, overwhelmed and almost despondent.  I initially liked the honesty regarding Griffin but have since changed my stance.  He should have kept the criticism in house, talked to him direct.  Anyway,...he's a rookie head coach, has made mistakes and in any other situation you'd think he needs at least another year so show improvement considering how bad the team was last year.  But I could see him getting fired.  Not before the season is over but at the end.

Personally, I'd rather see Allen fired, a REAL GM hired and Snyders memory erased.  The new REAL GM can then evaluate Gruden, all the players and make the decision on how to build this team moving forward.  Snyder would know nothing so he could be managed.

Team needs a complete gut job.

I don't care about Snyder's money. He can't roll this out again next year b/c people will just not even go. Either way he's putting himself in a position where he might look to sell which would be one of the best days of my life.

Oh dont even start getting my hopes up like that because it wont happen.

My concern with Gruden is that he seems to be downplaying how bad the offensive line has been playing.

I'm not sure he's doing the "ok, hey, chill out, don't make me throw players under the bus, I will cull the herd come the offseason" thing, or the "I have no idea what I'm doing, they look fine" thing.

The former is alright.

The latter is not.  Not even close.

That's my primary concern about his competency.

My concern with Gruden is that he seems to be downplaying how bad the offensive line has been playing.

I'm not sure he's doing the "ok, hey, chill out, don't make me throw players under the bus, I will cull the herd come the offseason" thing, or the "I have no idea what I'm doing, they look fine" thing.

The former is alright.

The latter is not.  Not even close.

That's my primary concern about his competency.

do you honestly think he looks at this oline and goes "hey, not bad guys!"??  of course he knows its ****ed, but what good does it do to throw tom compton under the bus?  we just have to get through 3 games.  id like gruden to get a whole year where guys are picked based on what hes trying to run.  hes essentially running his offense with all of shanahans guys, sans some WR and shaun lavao (who is straight garbage).

Dan loses over $25 mil in firing these coaches and front office types.

And outside of Eric Shaffer, I don't know that there is a front office guy worth keeping.  But he's gotta go too if there is to be a full reboot.

And for me, that includes Larry Michael and everyone.

I would do a happy dance if Larry Michael is fired

Have our QB's really regressed? RG3 was the same QB last year. Hesitant and slow to make reads, made the occasional good play, but didn't play well enough to get very many wins. His play this year is virtually the same as last year. I wouldn't say he's regressed as much as he's just failed to take the next step. Is that Coach's fault, or is it just that RG3 is just not meant to be a pocket passer?

Kirk has been the same QB. He shows flashes, and I think he can be a starter, but he has issues with INT's. That can be corrected, but it'll take time, and he's still very young. I don't think he's regressed.

Colt McCoy has actually played above what his past experience has showed. Yesterday's game notwithstanding, he's been better than one could reasonably expect, given our other issues with the team.

It's not so much our QB's have gotten worse, as the rest of our team (D, ST, O-line, Secondary) have not improved.

wait...that doesn't fit the narrative tho...

I have followed Chuckie's bro since his days in Central Fla with the Predators. He is a winner. The problem is that he inherited a kitchen full of rotten groceries not to mention a crazy owner. We have already seen his attempt to change the culture by cutting off the special perks that Danny thinks are ok to give his pets.

We all have seen the evidence backing up his move to bench RG3. Jay is not afraid to make the tough decisions it takes to move the team forward. Cut the guy some slack and give the guy a few seasons. 

Further Cliche' for the fire:

Its gonna get worse before it gets better. Give the guy a real chance to build a regime.

I have followed Chuckie's bro since his days in Central Fla with the Predators. He is a winner. The problem is that he inherited a kitchen full of rotten groceries not to mention a crazy owner. We have already seen his attempt to change the culture by cutting off the special perks that Danny thinks are ok to give his pets.

We all have seen the evidence backing up his move to bench RG3. Jay is not afraid to make the tough decisions it takes to move the team forward. Cut the guy some slack and give the guy a few seasons.

Further Cliche' for the fire:

Its gonna get worse before it gets better. Give the guy a real chance to build a regime.

So what you're saying is we have an awesome arena league coach?

The Browns owner also got rid of Joe Banner and Mike Lombardi.  Joe Banner and Bruce Allen are alike in that they're bean counters who think they know football.  Neither should be encharge of personnel.   Then they promoted Ray Farmer who's worked his way up through the scouting and FO ranks to be GM.  Farmer got a pretty good haul of rookie players in the draft and some UDFAs who are playing right away.  And that's with Manziel still an unknown.  

The Browns (ok, technically the pre-Ravens) also fired another pretty decent coach. Bill Belichick. You might have heard of him. I'm sure all the Browns fans thought he was a bad coach. Funny how they look a lot better when they have a quarterback and hands-off ownership.

do you honestly think he looks at this oline and goes "hey, not bad guys!"??  of course he knows its ****ed, but what good does it do to throw tom compton under the bus?  we just have to get through 3 games.  id like gruden to get a whole year where guys are picked based on what hes trying to run.  hes essentially running his offense with all of shanahans guys, sans some WR and shaun lavao (who is straight garbage).

So in addition to coaching you going to add GM to Gruden's role, I'm sure that will work out well.

Even that anti-Skin Reid said that Gruden appears overmatched. The guy is drama, cannot produce, cannot do what he was hired for and just is stupid. He does not have what it takes. Even a child can see how bad he sucks, how reactionary he is and how he lacks a long term organizational perspective. I think RG3, Kirk Cousins and the entire team are paying the price in terms of lack of development because this guy simply cannot coach an NFL team on this level.

We hired these stiff coaches that want to create a team that does not match our talent.

Jay Gruden is overmatched. I rather risk my team on the 2012 NFL ROY than some fat, stupid, overmatched offensive coordinator that appears to have no HC skills whatsoever.

I admit, I wasn't a fan of firing Gruden this year, but after recent events, I have to reconsider.

Why he should be fired immediately.

-Record is the same as last year down to a blowout home loss in week 14. No improvement.

-Passive aggressive jabs at RG3 in the media shows a lack of respect and professionalism

-Team gave up on Shanny down the stretch last year. What's Gruden's excuse?

-I was at the game yesterday (my dad actually caught the Zuerlein miss right before halftime which was awesome). There was no sense of excitement from the players. They jogged out of the tunnel in the most nonchalant, indifferent way. No smiles around. That's on coaching to get them motivated. Meanwhile, the Rams were pumped.

-He continues to support Haslett despite the fact he's an awful awful coach

-If you still think RG3 is your guy (debatable), you need to fire Gruden before he alienates Robert even further

-Benches RG3 instead of playing to his strengths (See San Fran and Seattle).

-He almost seems like he wants to be fired, like Shanny last year

I admit I thought it was a bonehead move for the Browns to fire their coach after a decent season last year. But right now a year later they are so much better. Maybe we can have something like that, even if it's just a jump to 8-8 if we fire Gruden 

Although there are alot of good points, you just don't cut a coach loose after 1 year.

Besides, what are you going to do if it happens, and the next coach can't get Griffin out of his funk? Fire that coach too?

lol    amazing.

an Arena Football League winner

this is the NFL, jack.

Thanks Captain obvious,

The point is that the guy comes from a background of success, no need to review his whole resume. His hiring was a pretty good choice among the up and coming coordinators available in the league. There is no need to gather pitch forks and torches to run the guy out until we see a body of work.

I hope he gets a real chance to change the culture of despair and finally becomes the guy who establishes boundaries that danny respects. Turning around 2+ decades of misery is not going to happen as fast as we would like. I hope younger fans someday get to experience their own glory days.

Gruden has the skills, let him do his thing.

We still have three games left against division rivals, finishing off with Dallas at home.  IMO, these three games will pretty much seal his fate.  If we can win the next 2 out of 3, one being a sweep against the Cowboys and spoiling their playoff hopes, that would go a long way in boosting support for giving him more time.  If we lose the next three games, then see the Cowboys celebrating on our turf because they clinched a playoff birth after they beat us down, I think the support for his firing would skyrocket.  Get your popcorn ready.

I agree to an extent....the only saving grace to firing Gruden is to send Allen along with him. 

Firing one, while keeping the other on board, is the recipe for the same disaster.

That is what is keeping me up at night. Is Allen going to be the new Vinny?

I don't know about firing him, but I'm starting to dislike him more with each passing day.

Today when asked about RGIII, he responded, "I HOPE he plays better." His response should have been "I EXPECT him to play better." Is he ever gonna take any of the blame?

Firing a new coach after the first year.

It's thought processes like these that's the reason why our organization is a league-wide joke.

Probably the same thing Browns fans said after they realized their mistake and corrected course after one year.

I should add that to the list. The common element is that all 3 became jumpy in the pocket after a few games. Tbh, I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that we have no OL. Get a decent OL before evaluating QB's.

yes deffinitily jumpy... why cause the oline. no matter what qb we have we cannot really evaluate a true qb let alone franchise qb without addressing the oline asap! yes in the draft! 1st 2 picks. then after that we can say ok bobs not it. cousins is not it. etc...

Until you fire Snyder; doesn't really matter one bit.   I think Gruden has potential to be at least as successful as his brother was, which was mixed. Thing is,. Washington, isn't the place for a first time coach.  We don't have the structure that would allow a first timer to grown and succeed.

I think we can basically write off the rest of the 10's.  Snyder will spend a couple of more years on hoping Robert pans out and when that fails and we start with a new QB, and 4th new coach in 5 years in 2017; it will be another 2-3 years.

Until you fire Snyder; doesn't really matter one bit.   I think Gruden has potential to be at least as successful as his brother was, which was mixed. Thing is,. Washington, isn't the place for a first time coach.  We don't have the structure that would allow a first timer to grown and succeed.

I think we can basically write off the rest of the 10's.  Snyder will spend a couple of more years on hoping Robert pans out and when that fails and we start with a new QB, and 4th new coach in 5 years in 2017; it will be another 2-3 years.

Until WHO fires snyder? bruce cant fire snyder. gruden cant fire snyder. the only one that can is snyder himself (not going to happen) or goodell (again, not going to happen)

Archived