Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How can we assist in the removal of the current DC?

SB17

You guys kill me with the Wade Phillips stuff. His son is on Haz's staff. Wade is at nearly every game in Redskins gear. You think he hasn't been offering his opinion on this horrible defense?

Isn't wades son actually the TE coach?

I'm hoping for a press conference this morning announcing that Haslett is no longer with the team.

But, there should be a serious discussion on who to bring in; better yet, keeping the 3-4 or going back to the 4-3, or even some other type of defense. Personally we've not progressed in any way regarding the 3-4, so why bother with it?

Maybe a few quality people to discuss would be a good diversionary, because frankly Haslett is old news to me, and its clear he has been a failure.

But who is out there? Pros or college? Hopefully it won't be someone who wants to pull a Marty and hire his entire family on the staff, but right now i'd bite my tongue for ANY change.

I think the mere sending of letters to the front office might make a difference if there is a tipping point, its a pretty unusual feat as to a fan base being that upset at a coordinator so it would be hard for me to imagine they wouldn't notice

In that case, I will send my letter today (I'm at work right now, but maybe I can do it during lunch).  I will share it with you.

Who will join me?

He's gotta go.  Most embarrassing "coaching" performance I've seen in years.

I also can't stand his ugly, old looking raggidy ass on the sideline always looking confused.  The only reason he has a job is because of old white man privilege in the NFL.

Whats that supposed to mean. Race has nothing to do with coaching ability.

Isn't wades son actually the TE coach?

You are correct sir/mam

The Haslett experiment is just over now, and it should stop being an "if," but rather become a "when" question.

He should have been gone earlier, but he stuck around with the old regime, and I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt when reports starting popping up about meddling by Shanny in defensive schemes.

At this point though, benefit of the doubt is gone.

We have 13 sacks across the 8 games that aren't against JAX, and only 8 across 7 if you take out Dallas too.  That's simply not acceptable.

We have 3 INTs, tied for 29th in the league.  Our fumbles recovered is middle of the road at 5, but our turnover differential is terrible.  Some of that is the players (or in yesterday's case with Amerson, the ref's), but Haslett just doesn't get it done.

He gets out played on the chessboard game after game, and so while his baseline stats don't look terrible, when you dig a bit deeper it starts looking worse and worse.

Time to move on.  I'm just wondering if it happens at the end of the year or sooner.

I think the best way to assist is a simple photoshop job.  Take a picture of Haslett in a trenchcoat, have him looking over his shoulder nervously as he hands an envelope to Schefter marked "leaks."  Have Schefter smiling as he receives the envelope while handing over a wad of cash.

Gruden has a chance to right a wrong here. This is our bye week. A perfect time to make a change at defensive coordinator. Gruden needs to come out, admit he made a huge mistake by bringing back Haslett, and move on. I don't care who you bring in. The bottom line is when someone is not performing they need to be demoted and or fired. If Gruden does not make this change right now then he won't be here for long.

I think the best way to assist is a simple photoshop job.  Take a picture of Haslett in a trenchcoat, have him looking over his shoulder nervously as he hands an envelope to Schefter marked "leaks."  Have Schefter smiling as he receives the envelope while handing over a wad of cash.

I'd rather see a photoshop image of Snyder's wife and Haslett playing doctor being emailed to Danny boy.

I've never been a Haslett fan & disagreed with his play calling, however, it is ok to start "Fire Haslett" talks this week but don't dare talk badly about RG3? Especially after that 4th down pass? If it was a blown defensive call late it's "Off with Haslett's head!" But RG3 stinks it up on the final play & it's "He'll be fine"? Cmon

RG3 ain't the problem, dood! While he didn't play 100% yesterday, he played well enough in his first game in 7 to get us a win. Against one of the better defenses in the league. What's YOUR 'answer' to your RG3 "problem?" Start McCoy?  I seem to remember that he wasn't 100% against the 'Pukes last week. In fact, statistically he just about tied Griffin in this week's game. And the Yikes are a MUCH better D.

So, your only option other than McCoy is Cousins. I seem to remember Cousins underthrowing Garcon on a potential game-winning drive late in the 4th quarter. Just like Robert did yesterday.  I happen to still like both McCoy and Cousins .. I think they will still have good NFL careers. But Griffin gives a better chance to win. If ONLY we had a D-coord who didn't give the game away every week! The Yikes scored in the single-digits the past five games. And yesterday, Haslett made them look like Peyton Manning and the Broncos!

The "problem" ain't RG3!

Dude should have been gone 2 years ago. I have absolutely no clue why he was retained when Shanny got fired. It just befuddles me. I'm just over him in general. He was always a barely mediocre coordinator. He's been just terrible here. Too many gameplans that don't make sense.

I'll give him credit for the Dallas game, but honestly, 2 or 3 good games per season just isn't good enough. I don't know how you let an inaccurate bum like Teddy Bridgewater get all day to pass, when your blitzes the week before stalled and beat up one of the better offenses in the league.

Ever since he's been here, the lack of big plays, next to zero turnovers, etc, has become the norm. I'm done.

You guys kill me with the Wade Phillips stuff. His son is on Haz's staff. Wade is at nearly every game in Redskins gear. You think he hasn't been offering his opinion on this horrible defense? 

So you're saying we need the Mission Impossible face mask/make up people, a very good corset and someone to kidnap Haz = problem solved?

You just don't fire coaches in the middle of the year. I know how badly many of us would like to. But it sends a horrible message to other potential coaches. Think about it...So the guy lost his #1 CB, perceived #1 pass rusher and is one week removed from a great defensive game against, at the time, the best team in the NFL...He may deserve it but it looks bad, in a place where there is already enough perceived negativity. Potential candidates would likely shy away from that situation. Plus, it won't help the defense play any better the rest of the way. It has always seemed like the players liked him, it would definitely hurt whatever chemistry there actually is. 

Now as soon as the year is over he better be the first off season move.  

Interesting points made here.  

Haslett is inconsistent at best, but after getting the game ball in the Dallas game likely isn't going to get fired with 2 months left on an expiring contract.  Kleese made an amazing point about the number of defenses that are getting lite on fire lately around the NFL to the point of it being "normal".  

I do feel Haslett is as good as gone given he's one of the few hold overs from one of the worst teams in franchise history and is continuously allowing offenses to dictate his playcalling instead of the other way around.  The answer may not be a name, but more someone will use what works with what he has and not out-smart themselves when it comes to defensive game plans and adjustments. I wouldn't mind seeing someone who is an accomplished DC, but really what we need is another Jay Gruden calling defense instead.

I don't understand why we don't blitz/bluff as much as we possibly can until we show in a game it doesn't work.  Every time we've done that since Haz has been here, this season or during that winning streak in 2012, the defense has gotten the job done. To not blitz a rookie QB just doesn't make sense, I simply cannot understand it.

I've never been a Haslett fan & disagreed with his play calling, however, it is ok to start "Fire Haslett" talks this week but don't dare talk badly about RG3? Especially after that 4th down pass? If it was a blown defensive call late it's "Off with Haslett's head!" But RG3 stinks it up on the final play & it's "He'll be fine"? Cmon

because Griffin played well except for a couple of snaps. I am sick of people judging based on the timing of one play and his OL didn't do good enough for him, Haslett's D stunk it up the entire second half

I think for the great co-ordinators the most important thing would be to recognise - okay these are the players I have these are there limitations, now how can I get them to work best.  

What Hasslet has are the tendencies of a ditherer. He kind of knows his limitations and he kind of knows what he wants to do but he does not want to get caught with his pants down. So he will drop players into coverage because he knows he cannot get pressure but the players he drops into coverage are better going forward than backwards but because he is sending more blitzers then there will be more miss matches so the bigger potential for the big play. So he is constantly trying to cover all options while achieving nothing.

This also feeds into my second point. He is a plan A guy. On the occasions plan A is well executed and effective then great, but if it is not he has no answers in the game.

For Tampa I am sure we will come out all guns firing and the noise will go away but it takes a lot for me to get fed up with the status quo but the time has long since come for Has to go.

That said I would be much more interested in Spanos or even Spagnola than Ryan...

The odds are low he'll be fired during the season, unless there are 2-3 games in a row where the defense just collapses, and it's clearly a scheme issue.

That being said, I hope MINN was the straw that broke the camel's back, and that the FO spends the next 7 weeks figuring out who the best option is for next year, not deciding IF Haslett should be shown the door before next year.

Ryan, Phillips, and Spanos are all guys who would be huge acquisitions and tremendous helps for our team.  DLine is aging and we need safety help, but I imagine a DC could do some good things with a youthful base of Amerson, Breeland, Robinson, Kerrigan, Murphy (and Riley, sorta).

Jim Haslett shouldve been gone 2 seasons ago.  For him to survive 5 years in DC is unreal, we will look back at this era and wonder "How?" one day

He is the"Teflon Don" of NFL coordinators.  I'm still shocked how he survived the culling of our staff this past off-season.

Archived