Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How can we assist in the removal of the current DC?

SB17

Eh, on Ryan drama, sorta.  I wouldn't say that Ryan doesn't bring some drama, but if he's behind the scenes as DC, the drama will hopefully be minimal, most of the drama surrounding him came from his HC role, and mainly as a result of Mark Sanchez.

Ryan and Phillips both sorta remind me of Norv Turner.  Great coordinators, meh head coaches.  I think any of the three would probably do fine.

TK being leery of Phillips due to internal politics makes me leery, but at the same time, I would like Phillips since he seems to be a fan thanks to his son, showing up at games in gear.  If we can get the mind that made Dallas' D a force in the mid-2000s, plus some passion because of his ties, things get interesting.

TK being leery of Phillips due to internal politics makes me leery, but at the same time, I would like Phillips since he seems to be a fan thanks to his son, showing up at games in gear.  If we can get the mind that made Dallas' D a force in the mid-2000s, plus some passion because of his ties, things get interesting.

What are the internal politics involved?  Is it something to do with his son being on the coaching staff too?

If we can hope that Haslett will be gone by seasons end, it also reasons that a new DC would want to bring in some of his own staff. So why not let a member of the current staff be promoted? Between Olivadotti and Brian Baker, perhaps one of them has shown some promise to Gruden. If the newly promoted assistant does well as our DC then WOO-Hoo! Problem solved.  If not, he would probably be out of a job anyway once the new DC comes in next year.

What are the internal politics involved?  Is it something to do with his son being on the coaching staff too?

He mentioned something page 1 about Phillips having some input due to his connections.  I'm not sure what to make of it exactly, but TK generally has his finger on the team's pulse about as well as anyone.

Though he did say Phillip's son was on Haz's staff when he's actually the TE coach, so...

Either way, I'd be happy with any of Ryan, Phillips, or Spanos.

As team president, doesn't Bruce have the hiring/firing duties? To assist in the removal of Hasbeen, maybe an email blast to Bruce would help. I've been all for removing Hasbeen for years, but I don't want anyone named Ryan to be part of this team. My vote is for Bum's kid. With the rule changes continually favoring offenses, we need a DC who can adjust, teach the players and most importantly, get them to work as a team on the same page.

You just don't fire coaches in the middle of the year. I know how badly many of us would like to. But it sends a horrible message to other potential coaches. Think about it...So the guy lost his #1 CB, perceived #1 pass rusher and is one week removed from a great defensive game against, at the time, the best team in the NFL...He may deserve it but it looks bad, in a place where there is already enough perceived negativity. Potential candidates would likely shy away from that situation. Plus, it won't help the defense play any better the rest of the way. It has always seemed like the players liked him, it would definitely hurt whatever chemistry there actually is. 

Now as soon as the year is over he better be the first off season move.  

I'm going to respectfully disagree with your first paragraph:  We have to basically flush the rest of the season (by keeping the current DC) because it's going to look bad if we fire him now??  The guy has had almost 5 years and can't figure out how to beat a rookie qb with basically no weapons (Sunday wasn't the first time, either).  We look bad enough with him!

I know what you're saying:  Perception-wise (is that a word?), firing someone mid-season doesn't look good.  At this point, I don't really care - I just want to win and it won't happen with Haslett as the DC.  He needs to go NOW.

It appears that Coach has already made his decision to make no changes. Posted in the breaking new section.http://es.redskins.com/topic/384364-csn-gruden-no-defensive-changes-during-the-bye/#entry10016809

I figured this might happen, but I'm hoping the excuses stop and the guy is tossed come year's end.

Also, it's a typo (meant to say "But Gruden"), but I liked this sentence:

"But Haslett pointed to some recent strong efforts in support of defensive coordinator Jim Haslett."

Bob Dole liked Bob Dole too, but Bob Dole still lost the 1996 election.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with your first paragraph: We have to basically flush the rest of the season (by keeping the current DC) because it's going to look bad if we fire him now?? The guy has had almost 5 years and can't figure out how to beat a rookie qb with basically no weapons (Sunday wasn't the first time, either). We look bad enough with him!

I know what you're saying: Perception-wise (is that a word?), firing someone mid-season doesn't look good. At this point, I don't really care - I just want to win and it won't happen with Haslett as the DC. He needs to go NOW.

Yeh but if we fire him I don't think the defense can get turned around with whoever they put in charge in time to salvage the season. Id say the rest if the season is going to play out similarly on that side of the ball regardless if Haz is here or not. I just don't have any faith that anyone in house could do better, and I doubt anyone outside would want to come in mid season.

We wait till the end of the season.  Gruden doesn't need the "dysfunctional team" crap storm that would follow.  We have us another losing season, lets not act like losers.  

The defense will get a new coordinator in 2015, I'm sure, but we need to keep the job as attractive as we can.  

Taking a job for a hot head 1st year head coach that can't make it through the season without firing his DC, and an owner that has had more HC changes than winning seasons isn't a great prospect.  Someone will take the job, but we need the best coaches available to us.  We have to be coach friendly to lure another sucker in here, lol.

Agreed. As much as I would like to see Hasnott gone with as long as we've watched this same ol' same ol' , firing him in the middle of the season would just not be wise for this team after last year's soap opera! We just have to hope that he will give us 7 games like the Dallass game and NOT 7 games like the Yikes game.

I've never been a Haslett fan & disagreed with his play calling, however, it is ok to start "Fire Haslett" talks this week but don't dare talk badly about RG3? Especially after that 4th down pass? If it was a blown defensive call late it's "Off with Haslett's head!" But RG3 stinks it up on the final play & it's "He'll be fine"? Cmon

Then go start a "RGIII sucks" thread. Jesus Christ dude, this thread pertains to Haslett, not Griffin. There are plenty of threads for you to **** about the QB in. And a big reason why this thread exists is because Haslett has sucked for the last 12 years, Griffin has not.

Haslett is in charge of the D. He takes the fall. But are we 100% certain that the blown coverages are not a result of Morris? 

If he is not in charge of DB coverages, why is he here, what is he doing?

I know, I know, #OldBand

But that is getting old real quick.

My respect for and confidence in Gruden and his leadership would go up tenfold if he could muster up the resolve to get rid of Haslett. Tough for him to do, due to personal ties (Haslett gave Gruden a UFL job) but this move would show that he is about business above anything else, as it should be. Good coaches aren't afraid to make these types of moves that are best for the team - John Harbaugh had a 9-4 team in 2012 when he got rid of Cam Cameron, whose offense was up and down much like Haslett's defense. Nobody blamed Harbaugh for canning Cameron, just like nobody would blame Gruden for giving Haslett the hook.

Much like Haslett's inexplicable propensity to get away from blitzes (only way we get pressure) and use soft zones when it isn't obviously working, Cameron inexplicably went away from using their best asset, Ray Rice far too often. I remember in our 2012 game against them, Rice was running all over us, and then they suddenly stopped using him much to our relief - probably the biggest reason we won that game. Not saying we would make a Super Bowl run like the Ravens, they were 9-4 and we are 3-6, but if they can can one of their coordinators at 9-4 there is no reason why we cannot do so at 3-6. Haslett just isn't getting the job done at this point.

Archived