Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 FA Thread - OP Updated - Signings: Paea, Knighton, Culliver, Johnson, McCoy, Hill, Goldson

DC9

I hope Polumbus signs with someone.  Seems like someone would give him a shot as a backup swing tackle.  As it stand right now we're probably in line for a compensation pick, having signed four UFA and lost five.  Polumbus going elsewhere would up the odds

I hope Polumbus signs with someone. Seems like someone would give him a shot as a backup swing tackle. As it stand right now we're probably in line for a compensation pick, having signed four UFA and lost five. Polumbus going elsewhere would up the odds

I used to really bad mouth Polumbus until I followed him on Twitter and realized how good of an human being he is. While he wasn't that great as a player he's an awesome person who goes out of his way to do so much for others. It really was an enlightening experience for me. Sometimes I need to step back and realize they're people too, not just a number running around on a football field.

Good point. It's important to separate our criticism of a player with the person. I think that's why I sometimes go over the top defending guys who are being vilified.

Polumbus was not a successful right tackle for us but it wasn't for won't of effort or passion. I hope to upgrade bit I don't wish him I'll at all.

Now Haynesworth was a different story. Bad player and bad person, but I think he's am extreme case.

So, just bored in the off-season.  Thinking about our team way too much.  Don't kill me but...

Would any of you guys be willing to give up 2 first round picks for Justin Houston?  Best OLB in the league. 

Pros:

-Best OLB in the league. 

-Our front 7 would legitimately terrify offensive coordinators.

-We'd be set with two studs (Kerrigan and Houston) at the 2nd most important position in football.

-All the pass rushers in the draft have a ton of question marks.  Houston is as close to a sure thing as you're going to get.

-He's only 26 years old.  He'll most likely be an all-pro player for the next 5 years of his career.

-GMs hit on less than 50% of first round picks.

-We could wait until after this draft to make the deal and bank on the fact that we won't be a bottom 5 pick again anytime soon so the picks would be less costly

Cons:

-He'd cost 2 first round picks and demand only slightly less than a JJ Watt-type salary.

-If he gets injured, that will set the franchise back for a long time.

-One of the pass rushers in this draft could be a solid starter for us, or even a great player (though it's extremely doubtful he'll be as good as Houston) and present better value for us.

-If we need to draft a QB next year, we'd be out of luck when it comes to top prospects

-It's just a lot of eggs in one basket

Comparison of Top Pass-Rushers

Players           Snaps Penalties Sacks PFF Pass-Rush Productivity

Justin Houston 1057     0            23              15.7

J.J. Watt           1068     6            21              15.0

Von Miller         926       5            15              11.8

Ryan Kerrigan 1000      3            13              13.0

Elvis Dumervil  628        8            19              11.8

If we've learned any lesson in the past ten years than your answer should be a resounding "No".

I agree.

If Houston was traded to New England, he'd have an all-pro season and help lead them to the Super Bowl.  If he came to the Redskins, he'd get hurt in the first quarter of the first preseason game and be out for the rest of the year.  :(

That's been Redskins football for the longest over the years.

If we've learned any lesson in the past ten years than your answer should be a resounding "No".

I agree.  Though it still wouldn't exactly be a Cerrato move because Houston isn't 30+ years old.  And it wouldn't exactly be a RGIII-trade kind of move because Houston is a proven, established, all-pro player.

It's honestly the contract that makes this un-doable for me.  If it was just the 2 first round picks, and we got him on a rookie contract,  I would do it in a heartbeat.

Per Rotoworld...

Free agent C Stefen Wisniewski visited the Redskins last Friday.

The ex-Raider has had visits or talked to the Rams, Bucs, Seahawks, Patriots, Titans, Jaguars and now Redskins. Washington's interest is a bit surprising as they already have solid Kory Lichtensteiger at center. Perhaps they're looking at Wisniewski as a guard.

Had no idea, was hoping we would bring him in for a look...

Per Rotoworld...

Free agent C Stefen Wisniewski visited the Redskins last Friday.

The ex-Raider has had visits or talked to the Rams, Bucs, Seahawks, Patriots, Titans, Jaguars and now Redskins. Washington's interest is a bit surprising as they already have solid Kory Lichtensteiger at center. Perhaps they're looking at Wisniewski as a guard.

Had no idea, was hoping we would bring him in for a look...

I didn't either.  Cheers to the front office for keeping that one close to the vest.

I wonder why he hasn't been signed yet.

For me, it's easy to move Lich back to LG.

I didn't either. Cheers to the front office for keeping that one close to the vest.

Lich wasn't great at LG though. I think Wiz would be the better LG. I mean, our line would be better with Lich at C and Wiz at LG. IMO anyway

I heard that Wis is ls looking for $4 mill per year.  If they sign him I think Chester is gone.  They have been holding onto Chester because even if Long starts they still need a backup.  If they sign Wis, you either keep him or Kory at C, and move the other to G, thus removing the need to have Chesters $4.8 mill on the books.  

I think that also would mean if you draft one good OLinemen who starts, you now have 4 of 5 spots filled, with a 5th if either long or Moses develops into a good player.

I heard that Wis is ls looking for $4 mill per year.  If they sign him I think Chester is gone.  They have been holding onto Chester because even if Long starts they still need a backup.  If they sign Wis, you either keep him or Kory at C, and move the other to G, thus removing the need to have Chesters $4.8 mill on the books.  

I think that also would mean if you draft one good OLinemen who starts, you now have 4 of 5 spots filled, with a 5th if either long or Moses develops into a good player.

According to the "experts" Chester was Grudens pick to resign. How he is earning 4.8 is beyond me. If Wiz is only looking for 4 i would have signed him on Friday and told Chester to pack his bags.

Lich wasn't great at LG though. I think Wiz would be the better LG. I mean, our line would be better with Lich at C and Wiz at LG. IMO anyway

He was underrated as a LG.  I always liked him there.  But he's also about 15-20 lbs heavier now.

He was underrated as a LG. I always liked him there. But he's also about 15-20 lbs heavier now.

That's cool. Didn't know that. I also don't know why people knock him so hard. He's been good the entire time he's been here. He is one of the better Cs in the league.

Do you think the line if better with Lich-C Wiz-LG or the other way around?

That's cool. Didn't know that. I also don't know why people knock him so hard. He's been good the entire time he's been here. He is one of the better Cs in the league.

Do you think the line if better with Lich-C Wiz-LG or the other way around?

I think the line is better with both.  I'm not sure where I'd put either one, but having guys who are versatile and play with quality are what we need.

I wouldn't be mad at either, brother.  At all.

Just curious as to why he hasn't signed yet. 

I didn't either.  Cheers to the front office for keeping that one close to the vest.

He's visited like half the teams in the league.  No one wants him for $4M/year - he's pretty average for a center, and $4M is at the upper end of money for an average center.  If it weren't for his offseason surgery, I think someone would have picked him up by now, but, as it stands, no one thinks he's a great deal.  And no one seems to have dismissed him as a possibility either.

Probably an upgrade to KL, at the same cost, but if he's not going to be ready to go for week 1, it means that we'd need to keep both on the roster.  $8M for KL and SW doesn't make a ton of sense.  As people have noted, it would make more sense if one of KL and SW could upgrade OG considerably, but I'm not really feeling that either.

Archived