Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 FA Thread - OP Updated - Signings: Paea, Knighton, Culliver, Johnson, McCoy, Hill, Goldson

DC9

He's visited like half the teams in the league.  No one wants him for $4M/year - he's pretty average for a center, and $4M is at the upper end of money for an average center.  If it weren't for his offseason surgery, I think someone would have picked him up by now, but, as it stands, no one thinks he's a great deal.  And no one seems to have dismissed him as a possibility either.

Probably an upgrade to KL, at the same cost, but if he's not going to be ready to go for week 1, it means that we'd need to keep both on the roster.  $8M for KL and SW doesn't make a ton of sense.  As people have noted, it would make more sense if one of KL and SW could upgrade OG considerably, but I'm not really feeling that either.

I don't think he's an upgrade to Lich, but he's definitely an upgrade to Lauvao and Chester.

We'll see what Scot has in mind, he may like Spencer Long.  We'll see.  I don't have much faith in Bruce picks.

Draft, draft, draft. I'm interested in the team's stability 3-5 years down the road, not really caring too much about this season. Don't get me wrong, I'll root for them to win, but it's not as important this year.

I just feel like we say that every year, I'm 30, and we're always 3 years away. I know, we still gotta do things the right way it just gets depressing lol

Wiz is 6'3", 315 lbs. and 26 years old. I'm all for working the draft, still think Long and Moses could be solid but also a work in progress. Both guys will benefit from Coach Callahan greatly.

However Wiz has all the tools and experience, health only concern. Significant upgrade methinks...

I just feel like we say that every year, I'm 30, and we're always 3 years away. I know, we still gotta do things the right way it just gets depressing lol

Sack up.

30 is young, unless you're a free agent.

Yes, we say that every year, but the team has never actually did that...until now. Scot is the first guy to value the draft in a long time. I'm tired of waiting too, but I feel the wait this time will be worth it.

Unfortunately this board may talk about being three years away, but the team never builds that way. We're always building for now when we don't have enough to build on. Hence, we never actually  start that three year process.

Unfortunately this board may talk about being three years away, but the team never builds that way. We're always building for now when we don't have enough to build on. Hence, we never actually  start that three year process.

I don't know how many teams have had success for it, but this three year thing seems like a recipe for one good year then things fall apart. 

I don't know how many teams have had success for it, but this three year thing seems like a recipe for one good year then things fall apart. 

Trying to build a team over a period of time would lead to one good year and then failure? As opposed to building for the one year? 

I wonder if you said the opposite of what you meant there.

So, just bored in the off-season.  Thinking about our team way too much.  Don't kill me but...

Would any of you guys be willing to give up 2 first round picks for Justin Houston?  Best OLB in the league. 

Pros:

-Best OLB in the league. 

-Our front 7 would legitimately terrify offensive coordinators.

-We'd be set with two studs (Kerrigan and Houston) at the 2nd most important position in football.

-All the pass rushers in the draft have a ton of question marks.  Houston is as close to a sure thing as you're going to get.

-He's only 26 years old.  He'll most likely be an all-pro player for the next 5 years of his career.

-GMs hit on less than 50% of first round picks.

-We could wait until after this draft to make the deal and bank on the fact that we won't be a bottom 5 pick again anytime soon so the picks would be less costly

Cons:

-He'd cost 2 first round picks and demand only slightly less than a JJ Watt-type salary.

-If he gets injured, that will set the franchise back for a long time.

-One of the pass rushers in this draft could be a solid starter for us, or even a great player (though it's extremely doubtful he'll be as good as Houston) and present better value for us.

-If we need to draft a QB next year, we'd be out of luck when it comes to top prospects

-It's just a lot of eggs in one basket

Comparison of Top Pass-Rushers

Players           Snaps Penalties Sacks PFF Pass-Rush Productivity

Justin Houston 1057     0            23              15.7

J.J. Watt           1068     6            21              15.0

Von Miller         926       5            15              11.8

Ryan Kerrigan 1000      3            13              13.0

Elvis Dumervil  628        8            19              11.8

Houston is a stud but not worth two first rounders. I think we're done giving away 1st round picks.

Trying to build a team over a period of time would lead to one good year and then failure? As opposed to building for the one year? 

I wonder if you said the opposite of what you meant there.

contracts are running down by the time you're ready to be a success

Per Rotoworld...

Free agent C Stefen Wisniewski visited the Redskins last Friday.

The ex-Raider has had visits or talked to the Rams, Bucs, Seahawks, Patriots, Titans, Jaguars and now Redskins. Washington's interest is a bit surprising as they already have solid Kory Lichtensteiger at center. Perhaps they're looking at Wisniewski as a guard.

Had no idea, was hoping we would bring him in for a look...

I don't know much about Wisniewski, but he has to be better than our current starters at guard.

We all know that Chester is not good enough to start for us

anymore if ever, we have a chance to upgrade him with

Wiesniesk.i and also save $800.000 on the cap. It seems

like a no brainer to me.

It will cost $800K to cut Chester (since this is his last contract year, and its not guaranteed, the cost is his prorated signing bonus 4M/5).  With bonuses, Chester would make $4M this year, which is what Wisniewski is apparently looking for.  Depending on how they structured the contract, there could be a savings this year, but probably not much.  I can't imagine the Skins would tie up big bonus money for someone of his mediocre stature.

I think the reason that no one has showed interest at that price is the off-season surgery.  If its just the labrum, he should be fully healed by training camp,  If it's something more, shoulder problems are bad for OL,

If Chester truly isn't good enough to start, he should be cut independently of the decision on Wiz.

It will cost $800K to cut Chester (since this is his last contract year, and its not guaranteed, the cost is his prorated signing bonus 4M/5).  With bonuses, Chester would make $4M this year, which is what Wisniewski is apparently looking for.  Depending on how they structured the contract, there could be a savings this year, but probably not much.  I can't imagine the Skins would tie up big bonus money for someone of his mediocre stature.

I think the reason that no one has showed interest at that price is the off-season surgery.  If its just the labrum, he should be fully healed by training camp,  If it's something more, shoulder problems are bad for OL,

If Chester truly isn't good enough to start, he should be cut independently of the decision on Wiz.

I thought releasing Chester would clear $4.8m off our cap

figure, it might cost us $800.000 but cutting him would net

us $4m?

I wonder if they are just bringing guys in to give them options after they see how the draft is going to play out. 

Not sure, but we'd have to cut someone to fit Wiz in. 

That tweet basically says "we aren't paying him enough to play here and we aren't winning enough for him to want to play here at a discount".

That tweet basically says "we aren't paying him enough to play here and we aren't winning enough for him to want to play here at a discount".

I agree on the cutting someone to make room.  That would certainly be the case.  You gotta think that there's something physically wrong with him at this point.  I know about the surgery, but there must be some lingering questions about it.  That's the only logical reason for me as to why he's still unsigned.  I think money is down the list.

I agree on the cutting someone to make room.  That would certainly be the case.  You gotta think that there's something physically wrong with him at this point.  I know about the surgery, but there must be some lingering questions about it.  That's the only logical reason for me as to why he's still unsigned.  I think money is down the list.

Fair point, the Raiders were rolling in cap space and didn't re-sign him.

He's a legacy with them, too right?

That would be like us not re-signing Jacoby's kid whom we drafted early just 4 years before.

Yeah, there's a value thing going on here, I'm sure.  And that is SM has a number in his head of what he's willing to pay, and won't go over that.  He'd rather take his shots in the draft and with other folks rather than over-pay.  I'm with him there.

I have reached a conclusion in my head that's frankly terrifying, reached based on some other assumptions:

1. I'm assuming Gruden isn't completely incompetent.  (This is a stretch for some, but I'm going to go with this.  I'm not saying he's Bill Walsh, but he's at least competent.

2. I'm going to assume that he's not blind.

3. I'm going to assume that he saw the OL, specifically the guards, pushed backwards as though they were on roller skates often.

4. I'm going to assume that he doesn't think that this is good, notices it, and wants it to be fixed.

5. I'm going to assume that Gruden has seen all of the potential players play in practice, and has an opinion of them.

Which leads me to this conclusion: Gruden thinks that of the players that he has on the field, Chester and Luvauo are by far the best options they have to put out on the filed RIGHT NOW, and that Long and Ribs are nowhere close to being able to actually start and play well.

This is the ONLY reason I can come up with for keeping those two around, SM hasn't signed an upgrade yet.

I don't think they're going to panic and do something stupid or spend tons of money.  But it's absolutely clear that Long and Ribs are not ready to be penciled in as starters.  Which means keeping the vets around, and drafting somebody, and then seeing how it all shakes out.

IF they signed Wiz, I'm 100% sure they'd part with somebody.  The assumption would be Chester.  But I'm not sure it wouldn't be Ribs. 

Yeah, there's a value thing going on here, I'm sure.  And that is SM has a number in his head of what he's willing to pay, and won't go over that.  He'd rather take his shots in the draft and with other folks rather than over-pay.  I'm with him there.

I have reached a conclusion in my head that's frankly terrifying, reached based on some other assumptions:

1. I'm assuming Gruden isn't completely incompetent.  (This is a stretch for some, but I'm going to go with this.  I'm not saying he's Bill Walsh, but he's at least competent.

2. I'm going to assume that he's not blind.

3. I'm going to assume that he saw the OL, specifically the guards, pushed backwards as though they were on roller skates often.

4. I'm going to assume that he doesn't think that this is good, notices it, and wants it to be fixed.

5. I'm going to assume that Gruden has seen all of the potential players play in practice, and has an opinion of them.

Which leads me to this conclusion: Gruden thinks that of the players that he has on the field, Chester and Luvauo are by far the best options they have to put out on the filed RIGHT NOW, and that Long and Ribs are nowhere close to being able to actually start and play well.

This is the ONLY reason I can come up with for keeping those two around, SM hasn't signed an upgrade yet.

I don't think they're going to panic and do something stupid or spend tons of money.  But it's absolutely clear that Long and Ribs are not ready to be penciled in as starters.  Which means keeping the vets around, and drafting somebody, and then seeing how it all shakes out.

IF they signed Wiz, I'm 100% sure they'd part with somebody.  The assumption would be Chester.  But I'm not sure it wouldn't be Ribs. 

Regardless of who starts, bodies are needed.  So say Long beat out Chester.  Right now Chester is the backup C, so it would make sense to have Chester as a backup G/C and Whoever doesn't win RT spot as the swing tackle.  Gives versatility in the gameday roster.

Also think Gruden blames a lot of the QB pressure on bad QB'ing, which I happen to believe as well.

Also think Gruden blames a lot of the QB pressure on bad QB'ing, which I happen to believe as well.

Again, I'm going to assume that Gruden is competent.  And thus I'm absolutely sure that he KNOWS that some of the pressure was due to the QB, some was due to complete failure to block anything by the RBs and TEs.  And I'm sure he thinks that the OL got a bad rap.

That said, I also believe that he KNOWS that the guards got pushed backwards at times in both the running game and the passing game. And that he can have 2 thoughts at the same time: The OL needs to get better AND we have to improve at QB.

As far as bodies, I think that there will be plenty of bodies, because I'm pretty sure that somehow, some way, they're going to come out of the draft with a few OL.  

Archived