Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 FA Thread - OP Updated - Signings: Paea, Knighton, Culliver, Johnson, McCoy, Hill, Goldson

DC9

I thought releasing Chester would clear $4.8m off our cap

figure, it might cost us $800.000 but cutting him would net

us $4m?

I'm working off the data at overthecap.com.  If Chester were cut today, we wouldn't need to pay him the 2015 salary ($3.5M), workout bonus (100K) and roster bonus (400K).  The $800k prorated bonus is the amount of signing bonus paid in 2011 which has been prorated to 2015.  So that $800 has already been spent, and thus will count against the cap this year.

When a player goes to a team for a free- agent visit

does the team know how much roundabout the money

he is going to ask for? If yes there would be no point of

a visit if you're not prepared to pay the asking price. The

reason I'm asking is Wiesniesk.i has had a handful of visits

with teams yet no deal.

Per Rotoworld...

Redskins re-signed restricted free agent K Kai Forbath to a one-year, $1.54 million contract.

The Redskins only gave Forbath a right of first refusal offer, and wouldn't have received compensation if he signed elsewhere. One of the more accurate kickers in the league last year, Forbath converted on 24 of his 27 field goal attempts (88.9 percent). Forbath is entering his fourth season in Washington.

Thoughts?

Per Rotoworld...

Redskins re-signed restricted free agent K Kai Forbath to a one-year, $1.54 million contract.

The Redskins only gave Forbath a right of first refusal offer, and wouldn't have received compensation if he signed elsewhere. One of the more accurate kickers in the league last year, Forbath converted on 24 of his 27 field goal attempts (88.9 percent). Forbath is entering his fourth season in Washington.

Thoughts?

I may be in the minority but I am not really that excited. He has no range and still is not very good at KOs.  We have had so many bad kickers, or been impatient with several that we are just glad to have someone that doesn't miss every important kick we fall head over heels. 

There are a bunch of kickers that come out every year. Surely we can find one that can kick FGs, including ones over 45 yds and KO.

I think in 3 to 4 years the roster will be much stronger where we can truly start going pure BPA and use FA much less. Right when SMs contract comes up for renewal

I read that Danny Shelton has kicked 70 yard field goals and can put the ball in the end zone from Waldorf. :)

I may be in the minority but I am not really that excited. He has no range and still is not very good a KOs.  We have had so many bad kickers, or been impatient with several that we are just glad to have someone that doesn't miss every important kick we fall head over heels. 

There are a bunch of kickers that come out every year. Surely we can find one that can kick FGs, including ones over 45 yds and KO.

So, he lead the league in 2012 in FG%, he was 8th last year, and the only reason he wasnt again in 2013 was the 2 blocked kicks in the Chargers game.  Thats pretty good for only 3 years of kicking, if we had a top 10 player at every position we would be in the playoffs.  There are a bunch of kickers that come out every year and they stink.  None of the kickers that had a better year than him last year had under 8 years of experience.  If it was so easy, where are all of these young better kickers?

Per Rotoworld...

Thoughts?

thoughts? Why is that stupid part of football not eliminated yet?

So, he lead the league in 2012 in FG%, he was 8th last year, and the only reason he wasnt again in 2013 was the 2 blocked kicks in the Chargers game.  Thats pretty good for only 3 years of kicking, if we had a top 10 player at every position we would be in the playoffs.  There are a bunch of kickers that come out every year and they stink.  None of the kickers that had a better year than him last year had under 8 years of experience.  If it was so easy, where are all of these young better kickers?

I don't believe I ever said he was not a good FG kicker. If he did not have those numbers he would not in the NFL at all. There is no doubt he is the best FG kicker we have had (kept) in a long time.

However, my point was he in not a complete Kicker. He had only 18 TBs out of 54 KOs for a putrid 33%, good for 24th. Also, he only even tried one 50YD+ FG which he missed. We should be able to find a complete kicker, one that can do all parts of the job, not just 1/2. Arizona did last year - Chandler Catanzaro - There was Justin Tuck and Dan Bailey the years before.

FG accuracy takes time in the NFL. I get that. But this is strictly leg strength. You can't teach that. 

Per Rotoworld...

Thoughts?

smart move IMO.  clutch kicker whose stats are deceptively low due to the ungodly amount of blocked kicks and pressure given up by our dreadful special teams protection.  Has shown that he is a hard worker and will put in the time to address the weaknesses in his game.  Got progressively better at kick offs last season.  Right hard working attitude, still has upside going forward.

smart move IMO.  clutch kicker whose stats are deceptively low due to the ungodly amount of blocked kicks and pressure given up by our dreadful special teams protection.  Has shown that he is a hard worker and will put in the time to address the weaknesses in his game.  Got progressively better at kick offs last season.  Right hard working attitude, still has upside going forward.

If you consider going from 2013 - 14 of 57 for 24% to 2014 - 18 of 54 for 33.3% progressively better, I guess technically you are right But that's really just from horrible to not quite so horrible.

Ungodly amount of blocks? He had 2 FGs blocked in 2013, 0 in 2012 and 0 in 2014. He had a single EP blocked in 2012 and 2014. Sorry, but your perception does not match the data.

I like Kai but the fact is he is just not a complete kicker.

http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/16683/in-case-you-missed-it-kai-forbath-signs-stefen-wisniewski-update

A couple of updates from Keim.  Looks like IF Wiz came here (which again, is unlikely) he'd play Guard.

The Redskins are “probably” not the front-runner for offensive lineman Stefen Wisniewski, according to a source. Things can obviously change, but Wisniewski, coming off shoulder surgery this offseason, has multiple teams interested in him -- he has met with Seattle, Tennessee and Tampa Bay. New England, St. Louis, Chicago and Jacksonville are among the other teams with whom he has either visited or received interest. Though he played center the last three years in Oakland, the Redskins saw him being able to help there or at guard.

And your Kai Forbath nuggets and what he needs to improve on, which is obvious to most as it's already being discussed in this thread:

Place-kicker Kai Forbath signed his tender offer, worth $1.54 million, to return to the Washington Redskins. The team tried to replace him last year with Zach Hocker. But Forbath did have a strong year when it came to field goals, making 24 of 27. However, the real issue remains his kickoffs. While he improved in that area a year ago, the Redskins remain one of the worst teams in the NFL when it comes to kickoffs. They ranked 28th in the NFL with 27 touchbacks (Forbath had 18 of those as there were three games he could not kick off). They were the third-worst team when it came to average starting field position after a kickoff. The opposition started an average of 74.4 yards from the end zone (the league average was 77.1 yards away).

If you consider going from 2013 - 14 of 57 for 24% to 2014 - 18 of 54 for 33.3% progressively better, I guess technically you are right But that's really just from horrible to not quite so horrible.

Ungodly amount of blocks? He had 2 FGs blocked in 2013, 0 in 2012 and 0 in 2014. He had a single EP blocked in 2012 and 2014. Sorry, but your perception does not match the data.

I like Kai but the fact is he is just not a complete kicker.

ungodly amount of blocks AND PRESSURE due to our bad special teams protection.  I don't think our line did him any favors and combined with our cruddy field and a rotation of holders I think he's had to deal with poor working conditions that have kept him from showing his best stuff.  I didn't word my answer very well.

I think he was playing hurt for awhile too which affected his power, and I'm pretty sure he's still the record holder for longest consecutive streak starting his career right?

http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Forbath-Battles-Gusty-Winds-For-NFL-Record/2c626762-09c2-4771-8223-5f5b5c40b079

Alot of those were 40+ and in outdoor stadiums.  I think he's got serious talent and if we let him go we'd regret it.

ungodly amount of blocks AND PRESSURE due to our bad special teams protection.  I don't think our line did him any favors and combined with our cruddy field and a rotation of holders I think he's had to deal with poor working conditions that have kept him from showing his best stuff.  I didn't word my answer very well.

I think he was playing hurt for awhile too which affected his power, and I'm pretty sure he's still the record holder for longest consecutive streak starting his career right?

http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Forbath-Battles-Gusty-Winds-For-NFL-Record/2c626762-09c2-4771-8223-5f5b5c40b079

Alot of those were 40+ and in outdoor stadiums.  I think he's got serious talent and if we let him go we'd regret it.

Again, I agree he is a decent FG kicker, certainly better than many we have had kick for us for some time. But don't we need a complete kicker? Other teams seem to be able to find someone who both can kick FGs and can do a good job with KOs?

Someone else located the starting field position - our opponents starts on average of the 26 where the league average is the 23. That's a bigger difference than it may seem. We were one of the worst in the league.

Also, the TB % of 33.3 placed him 24th last year. That's horrible. If he could get that number up to 50% or better, both metrics would be better and I would be more excited about him being here.

I don't understand how a guy can't punt and kick off/EP. I just don't get it. It's infuriating to me. It's the dumbest part of the game. You don't even need any of it.

thoughts? Why is that stupid part of football not eliminated yet?

Pretty sure we would have to call it handball then.

Again, I agree he is a decent FG kicker, certainly better than many we have had kick for us for some time. But don't we need a complete kicker? Other teams seem to be able to find someone who both can kick FGs and can do a good job with KOs?

Someone else located the starting field position - our opponents starts on average of the 26 where the league average is the 23. That's a bigger difference than it may seem. We were one of the worst in the league.

Also, the TB % of 33.3 placed him 24th last year. That's horrible. If he could get that number up to 50% or better, both metrics would be better and I would be more excited about him being here.

I agree he needs to get better at kickoffs no question.  And they'll probably bring in competition for during training camp to see if they can get better.  But i also think that our special teams players are not doing him any favors.  Poor tackling and positioning has been a problem for a long time and other teams starting field position is gonna be much better if their kick returners are able to shed tackles or catch our defenders out of position regardless of how good the kick is. 

I think we way overestimate other teams kicking game because, well, we dont watch their games.  Look around the league, and you will see maybe 5-10 teams that actually have a really good kicker.  Out of those maybe 4-5 is both a great FG kicker and great with kickoffs.  While kickoff length would be great, I personally would value FGs as more important, because they directly produce points, whereas 3 extra yards shouldnt be the main issue.

Interesting fact, 21 kickers have been drafted in the last 10 years, and none of them has a better FG% than Forbath, including Gostkowski.

I agree he needs to get better at kickoffs no question.  And they'll probably bring in competition for during training camp to see if they can get better.  But i also think that our special teams players are not doing him any favors.  Poor tackling and positioning has been a problem for a long time and other teams starting field position is gonna be much better if their kick returners are able to shed tackles or catch our defenders out of position regardless of how good the kick is. 

I also agree the line and blocking has not been helpful. Again, I am really focused on his KOs as keeping him from being a complete kicker. I am not advocating just releasing him with no clear answer. I am liek you expecting there to be competition due to his weak KOs.

I also agree the line and blocking has not been helpful. Again, I am really focused on his KOs as keeping him from being a complete kicker. I am not advocating just releasing him with no clear answer. I am liek you expecting there to be competition due to his weak KOs.

Agree.  A complete kicker would be ideal, but if i had to pick an area that wasn't up to par, i guess I'd rather have it be kickoffs than field goals.  At least on kick offs you can try to mitigate the lack of strength with improved play from your other players.  Field goals are much more in the hands of just the kicker.  so far Forbath has proven to be pretty clutch and consistent in that aspect.  I guess my fear is that we go too far in the other direction and overcorrect.  Because kickers are so interchangeable I think teams sometimes tinker just for the sake of change and undervalue how much conisistancy can help a kicker's performance.  I'm still mad from when we got rid of Gano, a guy who drilled a 59 yarder and broke a franchise record in 2011, for that choke-artist Cundiff.  now HE was hard to watch....

http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/16683/in-case-you-missed-it-kai-forbath-signs-stefen-wisniewski-update

And your Kai Forbath nuggets and what he needs to improve on, which is obvious to most as it's already being discussed in this thread:

Wait. So does that mean our punter kicked 9 TBs in 3 games? That averages to 48 over the season, no?

That seems like a nice option - though I have no idea if that did/would affect his punting (tiring his leg out).

BTW, didn't I read somewhere that Kai didn't kickoff in College and has been learning the skill? I think he equated it to hitting a golf ball, which ain't easy to do consistently. I'd say there is hope for some growth there, but what do I know.

I'm not excited about resigning Forbath. As a kicker you should be able to kick the ball in the and through end zone no question about it. Didnt the NFL recently move the ball up 5 yards or so. Come on man no excuse I'm hoping for a new kicker. And I'll admit he's a good FG kicker (excluding long distance) but he's not as good as some of the posters on here think. 

If we are going to honestly judge him this is how I see it.

Accuracy- Real good under 50 yards

Distance FG & kickoff- Poor

Here's to another kicker to challenge him. (Why did we cut our young guy last year again?)

I don't understand how a guy can't punt and kick off/EP. I just don't get it. It's infuriating to me. It's the dumbest part of the game. You don't even need any of it.

I really wish there was an unlike button.

There's people in college that do everything kicking but if you only carry one guy then you're in trouble when he gets hurt.  

And kickoffs and punts aren't eliminated because they are potential scoring plays.  It's hard to justify removing plays that can be game changers

Archived