Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The DC Sports Curse Thread.

HailGalvatron

4 minutes ago, Springfield said:

It's easy to look back and point out holes.  Specifically, there were two caps teams in this group of letdowns that were head and shoulders better than the competition.  You can't just say that our sports teams are full of holes.

Tom Brady would come here and never win another playoff game again.

I'm not sure I agree. It's pretty a well-known adage that most of these sports change a bit during the post-season. Hockey is less wide open, pitchers dominate hitters, NBA players suddenly play defense, etc. Given how similar the Caps failures have been in the post-season, do you think it's more likely that they are cursed or that there is a fundamental flaw in how the team has been coached, constructed, etc. that doesn't allow it to match its regular season success in the playoffs? 

Maybe I'm crazy, but I'll go with evidence over the mystical explanation. 

I'm an O's fan, and I can set my watch to how quickly our offense is going to disappear in the post-season. It's a team that doesn't hit well with RISP, doesn't do a great job of playing small ball, and doesn't pitch all that well. They succeed when they hit home runs. Not surprisingly, they've won 1 playoff series recently despite making the playoffs 3 times. I don't think that's a curse, I think it's a team that is built to compete, but not win it all. 

12 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Not surprisingly, they've won 1 playoff series recently despite making the playoffs 3 times. I don't think that's a curse, I think it's a team that is built to compete, but not win it all. 

Technically, beating the Rangers in the Wild Card counts as winning a playoff series, so now we're up to two.

But yeah, you're right. The NFL is the only sport where the game is similar in the regular season and playoffs.

1 minute ago, balki1867 said:

Technically, beating the Rangers in the Wild Card counts as winning a playoff series, so now we're up to two.

Fair enough...and I'll take it! 

But the facts remain that the Orioles haven't won a game in the ALCS yet despite getting 3 shots. It's not because of some curse from Colts leaving town, the Chesapeake Bay Sea Monster, or how ****ty Dundalk is...it's because they aren't a complete team with a great shot to win. 

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I'm not sure I agree. It's pretty a well-known adage that most of these sports change a bit during the post-season. Hockey is less wide open, pitchers dominate hitters, NBA players suddenly play defense, etc. Given how similar the Caps failures have been in the post-season, do you think it's more likely that they are cursed or that there is a fundamental flaw in how the team has been coached, constructed, etc. that doesn't allow it to match its regular season success in the playoffs? 

This is inaccurate. They lost with Boudreau not being able to play defense, they lost under Oates not being able to score and they lost under Trotz not being able to match speed with the Penguins. They add grit and then they can't score, they add scorers and then get beat by 3rd lines. At this point, it's hilarious.

43 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Holy ****, fun police. The DC Curse is a way for us to vent after repeated playoff failures. No one actually takes this seriously. Same thing with the Even Year Devil Magic. Relax sourpusses.

And, yes, I just placed a curse on you. A pox on you all!

Thank you

Of course the concept of a curse is absurd. This town isn't cursed. We are just frustrated with playoff failures

I am also fascinated by the statistical improbability of 1 team in the last 87 seasons played making a conference final/NFC championship game/NLCS. It is incredible

Cuv4DMnXYAA63_t.jpg

39 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

This is inaccurate. They lost with Boudreau not being able to play defense, they lost under Oates not being able to score and they lost under Trotz not being able to match speed with the Penguins. They add grit and then they can't score, they add scorers and then get beat by 3rd lines. At this point, it's hilarious.

So, the problems might be different but they are constantly reactively (not sure that's a word) changing their team around in order to try to win. In doing so, they create holes (different ones, I guess) preventing them from being a complete team. No defense, unable to score, unable to skate fast, etc. all seem like traits of an incomplete team that a more complete team was able to exploit. 

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

Holy ****, fun police. The DC Curse is a way for us to vent after repeated playoff failures. No one actually takes this seriously. Same thing with the Even Year Devil Magic. Relax sourpusses.

And, yes, I just placed a curse on you. A pox on you all!

I don't think most agree with you that it's only a way to vent and not taken seriously. Some on this board and many that I talk to believe we have championship caliber teams who have underachieved year in and year out. Maybe (thankfully) that's not you, but that is a lot of people. 

I don't really care if you guys indulge in it...it's just annoying when I talk to folks who truly believe it. 

I told my wife I get 24 hours after a DC playoff elimination to be in a "factory of sadness"

This thread is part of that. I just vent random nonsense, put up silly spreadsheets and get it out of my system.

I really liked this Nats team. Just like I really liked the Caps team this past year that lost to the Pens. I also really loved the '12 Redskins and the '15 Wizards.

Not one of those excellent teams could get into the conference finals. Not even on a fluke.

It is insane

The Cubs this year got an amazing 9th inning in game 4. The Nationals in the 7th inning of both games 4 and 5 put up big comebacks, but couldn't get over the hump. Couldn't get just a little bit of luck

The stupid Ravens have seemingly been in multiple AFC title games. Even those Rex Ryan Jets teams led by Mark Sanchez. The Utah Jazz last decade, in the post Malone era, were getting to western conference finals. Teams that aren't great with lots of holes get to that point. No team in DC can. 

Believe me, The Curse is real.  No major DC team will win a conference title, much less a championship, before the year 2020.  And that includes the Orioles, just because they are my team and God likes making me feel horrible.  The Hoyas and Terrapins are included in this plague.

How do I know?  I just do.  Trust.  The Redskins will win the Super Bowl in 2023, and the Wizards will win the NBA title in 2035.  The Capitals and Nationals won't come until after 2041, sorry about that.

26 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

Believe me, The Curse is real.  No major DC team will win a conference title, much less a championship, before the year 2020.  And that includes the Orioles, just because they are my team and God likes making me feel horrible.  The Hoyas and Terrapins are included in this plague.

How do I know?  I just do.  Trust.  The Redskins will win the Super Bowl in 2023, and the Wizards will win the NBA title in 2035.  The Capitals and Nationals won't come until after 2041, sorry about that.

I'm pretty excited I get to see a Super Bowl in 7 years!

31 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

No. It doesn't include the Orioles.

DC sports curse.

DC.

Go celebrate a Ravens Super Bowl or something.

561bdb98324494250e9f1407ad4975bf.jpg

Alright, if you guys are going to claim a "curse" what is it?  What story are you guys sticking with?  

There was no mention of sports "curses" until I think 86' when that annoying asshole Dan Shaughnessy came up with the Curse of the Bambino in the late 80's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse_of_the_Bambino and then it became vogue to think your team or city was "cursed."  

The Cubs have that dumb Billy Goat Curse:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse_of_the_Billy_Goat

So what's the DC Sports Curse?  What sports superstar was sent packing from DC to another town?  What fan got kicked out of a Redskins game and vowed that they'd never win again?

If you're going to have a Curse, there should be a backstory to it to make it somewhat interesting, I feel.  Other than that, you're just lamenting teams that have largely had pathetic management (Grunfeld) and owners (Snyder) who have the unlucky happenstance of being in the same geographical area.  

I might go with the Curse of Len Bias.  Massive potential only to be undone by his own mistakes and hubris.  Seems a bit harsh though.  

Archived