Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The DC Sports Curse Thread.

HailGalvatron

18 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Or just some ****ty luck...1-run/goal games, the difference can be a bounce.

I hear this all the time but it cant be luck if its every year across different sports.

The athletes in this town just aren't tough enough across the board. All mental midgets.

Just now, Warhead36 said:

I hear this all the time but it cant be luck if its every year across different sports.

The athletes in this town just aren't tough enough across the board. All mental midgets.

Yes, that's probably it. Bryce Harper, Alexander Ovechkin, Max Scherzer, Jayson Werth, et al are just *******.

Just now, Riggo#44 said:

Yes, that's probably it. Bryce Harper, Alexander Ovechkin, Max Scherzer, Jayson Werth, et al are just *******.

I just don't understand what has been in the air the last 7 or 8 years.

In '10, after the Harper/Wall drafts I was giddy. Even if with the Caps failure vs MTL. You couldn't have paid me money to believe the next 7 or 8 years would be littered with playoff failures like this. And they all feed upon each other 

1 minute ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

I just don't understand what has been in the air the last 7 or 8 years.

In '10, after the Harper/Wall drafts I was giddy. Even if with the Caps failure vs MTL. You couldn't have paid me money to believe the next 7 or 8 years would be littered with playoff failures like this. And they all feed upon each other 

They've come in the worst ways too...Game 6 last year, Treinen hits Toles on the toe with 2 outs. Two seeing eye groundballs later, he scores. That's the game winning run. Game 5--three times we had man on 3rd, one out, 3 times fail to put the ball into play. How many posts  have the Caps rung in games like last nights?

The Caps overreacted after the MTL choke job. They have been attempting to play a dreadful brand of hockey since then. Now they routinely get beat by faster and more explosive teams in the playoffs. 

The Wizards will breakthrough at some point. Wall and Beal don't chicken out in the playoffs. If Wall doesn't break his hand, we would've been in the EFC two years ago. I think we will be this year tbh.

1 hour ago, No Excuses said:

The Caps overreacted after the MTL choke job. They have been attempting to play a dreadful brand of hockey since then. Now they routinely get beat by faster and more explosive teams in the playoffs. 

The Wizards will breakthrough at some point. Wall and Beal don't chicken out in the playoffs. If Wall doesn't break his hand, we would've been in the EFC two years ago. I think we will be this year tbh.

I don't know... Could they beat Boston or Cleveland in seven? 

4 hours ago, No Excuses said:

Yeah, because Bruce sure has set the league on fire since we canned him. GMGM panicked and forced Bruce to change the way he coached. EVERYONE knew that Bruce was done at that point. You can't coach a certain way for 6 years and then become a hard ass. Players tuned him out because they knew he wasn't real. He was the coach of half the roster in Hershey, so changing your style will cause players to quit on you. THAT is what GMGM screwed up. He could have hired a hard ass defensive coach to coach under Bruce and get the defense to play rougher and more responsibly, but he instead neutered Bruce. 

there is only 1 DC curse if this applies. It's for the Caps.  Every other team plain ole sucks and we have lofty expectations for them. Since 91, the redskins have never been a superbowl contender, the wizards haven't either, the nats are just growing into their own after being so young 

1 minute ago, skinfan2k said:

there is only 1 DC curse if this applies. It's for the Caps.  Every other team plain ole sucks and we have lofty expectations for them. Since 91, the redskins have never been a superbowl contender, the wizards haven't either, the nats are just growing into their own after being so young 

I don't completely agree. I think the Nats and Caps are certainly in a different category than the Redskins and Wizards. 

Both those teams have had full seasons during which they looked poised to win it all or at least come very close. Neither team has come remotely close in the post-season. Those two teams are underachievers. For the football and basketball teams, it's more that they just haven't gotten their acts together and have teased us with OK seasons here and there. This year could be the exception for the Wizards, but you never know. 

I always have looked at it this way...the Caps and Nats really have no excuse for their post-season shortcomings, while the Redskins and Wiz would have needed to play over their heads to get much further than they have. I can't think of a playoff opponent the Redskins have lost to where I've been shocked or thought that they were clearly the better team. They may have gotten the home game or had one more win during the regular season, but those Seahawks teams and the Packers in 2015 were all better built to contend than our Skins. 

3 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I always have looked at it this way...the Caps and Nats really have no excuse for their post-season shortcomings, while the Redskins and Wiz would have needed to play over their heads to get much further than they have. I can't think of a playoff opponent the Redskins have lost to where I've been shocked or thought that they were clearly the better team. They may have gotten the home game or had one more win during the regular season, but those Seahawks teams and the Packers in 2015 were all better built to contend than our Skins. 

Agree

Just in the past 8 years in DC, the Capitals and Nationals have been the 1 seed a combined 6 times (twice for the Nats and 4 times for the Capitals)

In those seasons, the teams have a combined 2 playoff series wins (Caps in '11 vs the Rangers, and '16 vs Philly)

The Redskins have been a mess since 1991, and back to back winning seasons the past 2 years has been a reason to have a minor celebration.

The Wizards have been a total debacle, with the exception of 3 years during the Gilbert era, and now 3 of the last 4 years in the playoffs.

It has been very bleak. I think most of us would be thrilled just to get a conference finals/NLCS team. Honestly, we wouldn't know what to do as a city fan base

I don't think the Nats have lost quite enough yet to be put on the same level as the Caps. 2012 NLDS Game 5 vs. the Cards was a choke for sure, but they also rallied from behind to win Game 1 and had a walkoff homer in Game 5, and that was a team in the playoffs for the first time against the defending world champs. Their other losses? They lost in 4 in 2014 to a team that went on to win the World Series for the 3rd time in half a decade. Last year was just a tough closely contested series, I wouldn't label it as a choke. Remember only four teams per league make the playoffs in baseball, the difference between seeds is slim to none.

The Redskins have just been terrible for most of the last 20 years, they aren't cursed. The few times they made the playoffs they needed big hot streaks late just to barely get in. The RG3 injury you could say maybe curse, but we all saw it coming: running QB with a frail build who was playing when clearly hurt. Losing Sean Taylor to murder...yeah that was tragic and terrible. Maybe that's the "curse." RIP.

The Wizards are starting to get it going. This core has made the 2nd round twice. You could say "curse" got Wall injured vs. the Hawks but the Hawks were the 1 seed that year, there was no shame in losing to them in 6. Ditto losing to the Pacers the year before. Of all the teams in town I actually think they have the mentally toughest players with Wall and Beal. I think if this team had the Paul Pierce of two years ago they make the Finals. If they can land one more star they'll win the East in future years.

9 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Despite what i think will eventually happen, I have to say... bumping this only down 2-1. Thats something special.

Ever have a dog that's been treated terribly and physcially abused? You may raise your voice to get it's attention--but you'd never hit him, right? But he's so used to getting hit and abused, he just thinks it's coming--ducks his head, tail between the legs, possibly pees on the floor... Same thing here.

12 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't think the Nats have lost quite enough yet to be put on the same level as the Caps. 2012 NLDS Game 5 vs. the Cards was a choke for sure, but they also rallied from behind to win Game 1 and had a walkoff homer in Game 5, and that was a team in the playoffs for the first time against the defending world champs. Their other losses? They lost in 4 in 2014 to a team that went on to win the World Series for the 3rd time in half a decade. Last year was just a tough closely contested series, I wouldn't label it as a choke. Remember only four teams per league make the playoffs in baseball, the difference between seeds is slim to none.

The Redskins have just been terrible for most of the last 20 years, they aren't cursed. The few times they made the playoffs they needed big hot streaks late just to barely get in. The RG3 injury you could say maybe curse, but we all saw it coming: running QB with a frail build who was playing when clearly hurt. Losing Sean Taylor to murder...yeah that was tragic and terrible. Maybe that's the "curse." RIP.

The Wizards are starting to get it going. This core has made the 2nd round twice. You could say "curse" got Wall injured vs. the Hawks but the Hawks were the 1 seed that year, there was no shame in losing to them in 6. Ditto losing to the Pacers the year before. Of all the teams in town I actually think they have the mentally toughest players with Wall and Beal. I think if this team had the Paul Pierce of two years ago they make the Finals. If they can land one more star they'll win the East in future years.

Good post...

I think the Caps are the worst offenders and wasn't really trying to say that the Nats had reached that level. But they are similar in that they've proven a couple/few times already that they were a good regular season team that should have gone further in the post-season. 

Since 1992, it feels like every game the Redskins lost in the playoffs would have been an upset if they won...

@ Tampa Bay in the 1999 Divisional Round - sure they should have closed out a 13-0 lead, but they weren't necessarily the better team. 

@ Seattle in the 2005 Divisional Round - lost on the road to the eventual NFC Champs (again, they had chances but...)

@ Seattle in in 2007 Wild Card Round - lost on the road to a better team (came back to take a late lead and got some bounces but...)

vs. Seattle in the 2012 Wild Card Round - lost to a more balanced team (blew a two-score lead again, but I think Seattle was better than us)

vs. Green Bay in the 2015 Wild Card Round - lost to Aaron Rodgers. Enough said. 

14 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Good post...

I think the Caps are the worst offenders and wasn't really trying to say that the Nats had reached that level. But they are similar in that they've proven a couple/few times already that they were a good regular season team that should have gone further in the post-season. 

Since 1992, it feels like every game the Redskins lost in the playoffs would have been an upset if they won...

@ Tampa Bay in the 1999 Divisional Round - sure they should have closed out a 13-0 lead, but they weren't necessarily the better team. 

@ Seattle in the 2005 Divisional Round - lost on the road to the eventual NFC Champs (again, they had chances but...)

@ Seattle in in 2007 Wild Card Round - lost on the road to a better team (came back to take a late lead and got some bounces but...)

vs. Seattle in the 2012 Wild Card Round - lost to a more balanced team (blew a two-score lead again, but I think Seattle was better than us)

vs. Green Bay in the 2015 Wild Card Round - lost to Aaron Rodgers. Enough said. 

Yeah, the Nats were the #1 seed in 2 of their 3 losses. But again, in baseball only four teams make it, so its not nearly as wide as a gap as say when the Caps as the 1 seed lose to an 8 seed. And I don't think their losses have really been chokes with the exception of Game 5 in 2012.

11 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah, the Nats were the #1 seed in 2 of their 3 losses. But again, in baseball only four teams make it, so its not nearly as wide as a gap as say when the Caps as the 1 seed lose to an 8 seed. And I don't think their losses have really been chokes with the exception of Game 5 in 2012.

Maybe not choke...but underachieving. You're right though...by the time you get to the MLB playoffs, everyone involved has a legit chance to win it all. 

9 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

2014--Matt Williams more than anything else. Pitched Aaron Barrett in the 7th inning of Game 4, instead of Strasburg or Clippard, after the Nats had tied the game on a Harper Homerun. Pulling J-Zimm in Game 2. Basically did nothing right that series.

2016--Two evenly matched teams. The Nats did not cash in on their opportunities, the Dodgers did. Nats actually outscored the Dodgers. Dave Roberts over-managing was bailed out by Kershaw pitching in the 9th of Game 5.

Archived